Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tumor markers elevated, a little worried right now.

Options

Comments

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    Options

lovetodance, I have been looking at all threads to do with CEA. I just read where you had a higher number because of expander inflamation. What kind of inflamation did you have. I hsve had mine in for 5 months, exchange is scheduled for Saptember 25. They are really hurting me. I have had a cough since my first chomo back in May. Inflamation in my esophagus now too. Anyway, still coughing and this expands my rib cage which pushes on my ribs. In addition to all the other scans, after treatment 3, I had a CT scan of lungs, which was clear except for inflamation on 2 ribs. I am praying that my elevated CEA is due to this, but gastrointerologist said he did not think this could be. So many different opinions. Now, my MO wants to do another CEA and I am afraid to do that! I just want to get through this surgery and get the cough/esophagus over (healed) before doing another. Sooooooo stressful!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    Options

thanks. I finished chemo in Feb. My CA 125 was okay the last time she checked which was in April.

• lovetodance1
    lovetodance1 Member Posts: 15
    Options

thyroid was low due to chemo and post chemo liver insult which also caused my enzymes to rise a bit.what is your range for normal in your lab.mine is 0-5. I went to 6. Then it stabilized around 2.5

• moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Hi all. Sorry, no help with the CA125, my Mo does not do that test. Initially when my CA27-29 elevated it was chalked up to inflammation. Hopefully, that is it.

Finally have a PET scheduled for the 23rd. My PCP also wants a CT with contrast for some liver pain and elevated enzymes, doing that today. A little concerned about the contrast (iodine) as I am allergic to betadine. Will take my epi pen! Hopefully, I will get some answers soon. So far it's been a month since I called and know about the same!

• mysunshine48
    Options

Moni, what kind of pain/symptoms for the liver? Do doctors usually do a liver enzyme test routinely? Hoping all comes out clean and clear!

• moni731
    Options

H hello all, had the Ct and guess what? Allergic to the contrast! So still in the hospital. The ct was positive for large and diffuse Mets. Will be doing a biopsy in the morning. They also did an ultrasound. In the DR while there. She saw the same.

Yes, Sunshine, I did have pain and discomfort in the area so the CT was ordered.

• mysunshine48
    Options

moni731, I am adding you to my prayer list tonight. Glad you are in the hospital right now and can get CT done there. Rest, dear sister.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

moni731..so sorry to hear ..you are in my prayers.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    Options

Moni, I am sorry about your new diagnosis of . I am glad your doctor and hospital are on top of things . Adding my prayers for you.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Dear Moni, you are in my thoughts and prayers!! Please let us know how you are doing!! You will again, kick those cancer mets to the curb!!

• moni731
    Options

Hi all! Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. So what I know so far is that I have a new primary in the R breast and mets to the liver and retro-peritoneal lymph nodes. I have a PET scheduled for Wednesday. In the hospital, I had a breast and liver biopsy and a port placement. I guess I am to start Kadcyla this or next week as soon as the MO gets the results of the bx. All the hurry up and wait,

Said goodbye to my co-workers today. Been there 16 years. Starting a new job 10/5. Did not plan on any of this!

• mysunshine48
    Options

moni, I can only imagine how you feel. I remember you were to start a dream job in October. Hang in there, and look forward to that job later or on to another great job. Prayers going up for you that you will kick cancer's butt so you can get on with life.

• moni731
    Options

Oh I fully intend to start the new job on 10/5, figure what the hell? May not do it too long. Left my other job today, kind of hard, but figure that I need the time to build up. CA 27-29 from 9/16 is 1220.5. Doubled in 2 weeks! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! Feel like I should be able to feel that sucker growing! Wondering what the PET will show on Wednesday. Now just got to figure out how to hide a port. It is smaller than my last one. An suggestions?

• thinkingpositive
    Options

moni731.....I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I can only imagine how you are feeling. Good luck with everything and I will be praying for you! You will start that new job!!!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, Moni!!! There are so many Chemos now in the Arsenal!! Can you take Herceptin again? Please let us know what Pet shows!!

• moni731
    Options

Hi Kindergarten- So far she has only said Kadcyla which is a combo Herceptin and chemotherapeutic agent. I was given only 12 rounds weekly of Herceptin last time before the MO thought it not worth it. I ask about that this time and she said she was going to get all the ducks lined up and work with my allergist to try and mitigate the response. PET tomorrow, so maybe not know until next week unless they release it on line early. Haven't released the biopsy results yet though. I am curious to know what flavor it is and if the breast and liver are the same. I did read the US report and it said the largest mass on liver was 10cm. Wow, what the body can work around! I am now just hoping that my bilirubin level does not get any higher and I start turning yellow before I start my new job! Have to schedule the employment physical tomorrow. Trying on different clothes to obscure this port! Good night all!

• mysunshine48
    Options

moni, You are one strong woman! I pray that the treatment plan for you is one that works and offers you the opportunities you want with your new job and your life. God bless you

• moni731
    Options

mysunshine48- Thank you, but I really don't think so. We all just do what we have to. Saw my PCP today and she concluded our visit summary to which I replied 'ok' and she said 'No, none of this is okay'. And while she is correct, it is what it is.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Moni, I am terribly sorry to hear. Not what any of us at stage IV want to hear, but we know it's coming. Good luck with the treatment and I pray that it gives you much more time. Perhaps you could ask if there are any clinical trials available for you. That is one thing my onc had told me, that after we use up all of our options, there are clinical trials out there that we could try.

Keep on keepin on! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• moni731
    Options

Hi all! Well. it has been an interesting morning! Got a call from the onc's office that she wanted to go over the PET results. Said I had an appt on the 1st. She said the MO wanted to see me today and how fast could I get there? Talk about and oh sh^% moment! They never do that for good news! Turns out not that bad though, more lymph nodes throughout the chest and peritoneal areas, but no other major organs, liver and breast that we already knew about. The receptors changed from triple + to ER/PR- Her2+. Didn't expect that! So she is not sure if it is mets from the first time or if it is mets from the second. She is leaning toward first though with a flip-flop. I explained the need to not miss work for 6 weeks and could we wait. She said no, I do not have that time. She wants to start chemo on 9/29. She said this is very aggressive and is worried about liver function. Dang it! Anyway, guess I just boarded the roller coaster!

• goldie0827
    Options

Moni, how about Xeloda? That is what I am on, and many others as well. AND it's chemo, but pill form. Just a thought.

Not the roller coaster we want to be on!

• moni731
    Options

Kindergarten- I read up on Kadcyla and understand it is a second line tx for this. I am ok with trying it, not supposed to have that many side effects. But I am 100% her2 +. So herceptin has to be on the plate. She also said that the port is irritating the atrium, guessed that on Saturday. She wants to have a revision, not now, just won't change positions real quickly!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Moni, Wow, so much for you to absorb, I am sure your head is spinning! I am sorry you have to go through this! You sound like such a strong and positive woman! You will hit this head on, and once your complete plan is in place, I see you fighting this with everything you have!! And we are all here to support and encourage you!!! I will also lift you up in prayer every day!!!!

• thinkingpositive
    Options

So I had my surgery yesterday morning to remove left ovary / fallopian tube with the cyst that I have been following up.. the one can back with slightly elevated OVA1 test and cyst went from 4.1 cm to 4.3 cm in six months. Did it lapriscopically, after they took it out they rushed it to Pathology and while the team waited for the results they removed the right ovary/fallopian tube as well They got the call and all was good no need to do any further surgery so they stitched those little cuts up...and off to recovery I went... Such a relief... Am doing okay today not too much pain...no need for painkillers.. The pain block that they gave me after surgery worked for 18 hours... but just had to take two tylenol now.. quite a bit of bloat and gasy bloat and pain from lapriscopic procedure...but manageable... Thanks to everyone who was praying for me. Thinking of all you and hoping everyone is doing fine!!

Karen

• moni731
    Options

Post a reply

Well things just keep snowballing. I can not get the pain meds that my dr prescribed because I am opioid naive. I am opioid naive because I am allergic to opioids! Unfortunately, I do not have those records as the Dr and hospital where I was treated closed and I am sure the Dr is dead now! Incredibly frustrated! So what happens when I need end of life pain relief? Need to find a street vendor......

I read the PET that was posted on-line and it was more that the MO let on. She conveyed the urgency of treatment, but not specifically why. I now know why: so many lymph nodes from supraclavicular to groin gave up tallying, met to left lower lung lobe, over 75% of the liver has been replaced by tumor. And to top it all off, the MO's request for and emergency drug approval is not happening that fast. I will have to sign a letter of being responsible for the Kadcyla infusion on Tuesday! The MO's office feels it will be approved, but not by Tuesday.

Not sure how much more I can fit on my plate. Feeling a little hopeless tonight.
  • mysunshine48
    Options

moni, So sorry to hear your news and thst you are feeling so down. I am sure it is very hard to be in this position. I want you to know that right now I am praying for you, and will continue to do so. I will also put you on the prayer list at my church. What is your name.... You can PM me. Prayers work. My hope is that you will get the treatment you need and that it will work to get rid of that horrible Cancer.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Yes, dear Moni, as My Sunshine said! , the power of prayer is amazing! I am praying now for your emotional peace and comfort throughout this journey!! God Bless You!!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Karen, so happy for your good news!

• goldie0827
    Options

Karen, that is great news for you.

Moni, I am so sorry you have so much to deal with, as if having cancer isn't enough. Are you in a lot of pain? Do you have support and someone to help you, if needed? What pain med was prescribed? I hate opioids. Took them one time, I think without food, and got so sick. Throwing up and dizzy for 24 hours, hated it. Never touched another one.

• moni731
    Options

HI all! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I am not Christian, (Pagan) so not familiar with a prayer list or similar type event. I have had a blessing ceremony, so I assume sort of the same? But regardless, I am grateful for your support!

Yes, I am in a constant pain (how I went to discover the liver mets), It is more a gnawing pain as baseline, but sharp stabs at times and increased pain with eating and lying down at night. I am taking toradol during the day, but at night I don't, due to you have to eat with it. I was prescribed Fentenyl, but the pharmacist will not dispense it as I have not gone through the opioid list. When I explain that I had a life threatening reaction to an opioid, it does not seem to matter. Don't know what I am supposed to do legally now, but I have asked for a palliative care consult. The next day I got a call from hospice! Told them I was just diagnosed and still seeking treatment. I explained the situation to the caller and she said she would send over the consult to a program called AIM that would have guidance in this capacity. Have not heard from them yet. In the mean time, my husband (separated) has several friends that produce medical grade street drugs that they said would be willing to help. Will be getting a card from the doctor. I hate that it has come to this. Being a nurse, I always thought that it was a crutch. Mea culpa. I now understand.