Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets do a Sh*t People say to Metastatic BC Patients

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 148
    Options

This time the cure is apparently intermittent fasting. Lol. People seem to mention these things trying to be hopeful. I just say oh that's interesting. But yeah. I will intermittently eat pie instead.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

I get comments about how great I look after losing 20 pounds since diagnosis. I'm thinner but I was not large. I do try to make a comment that my weight loss was not for all the right reasons. Even MO said eat more ice cream! That really gets them.

• nopink2019
    Options

I get comments about how great I look after losing 20 pounds since diagnosis. I'm thinner but I was not large. I do try to make a comment that my weight loss was not for all the right reasons. Even MO said eat more ice cream! That really gets them.

• bigpeaches
    bigpeaches Member Posts: 238
    Options

I just had someone in a cancer group I follow on Twitter, post about how only 27% of metastatic BC patients live 5 years. Well thanks for that ray of sunshine since I'll be 5 years out in March!! First of all, that is outdated information, there are a ton of women living 10, 15, 20 years with metastatic BC! There are new treatments coming out all the time! Sheesh!!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,709
    Options

bigpeaches, I'm over nine years out, and six were with no treatment because I was a missed diagnosis. I just read an article from 2016 that said stomach metastasis has an average life span of 14 months. I had symptoms that started in October of 2018, weren't found out what they were until May of 2019 (more no treatment), and here I am over four years out from that. Pffft with statistics. I don't believe them.

• luvdbyhim
    luvdbyhim Member Posts: 175
    Options

Someone said to me, You'll beat this! You beat it two other times, No big Deal. I know you will be fine.

• nopink2019
    Options

If you haven't read the recent post by nicholerod in the liver mets forum it belongs here also. She talks about those with long-term success on a drug saying "you will find the right one for you". Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have recently ceased treatment and will be talking to hospice soon. I had a very well-meaning friend tell me that she knew a couple of people who went on hospice and came off. I happen to know both of people she's speaking of and neither one has anything similar to MBC. They are also 20 to 25 years older than I and are virtually unable to take care of themselves.

• lacorneille17
    lacorneille17 Member Posts: 19
    Options

"if I got cancer I would just not do any treatment and let nature take it's course. I don't know why you world do treatment." Said by a CO worker said a month after de Novo diagnosis confirmation and start of treatment.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 531
    Options

Oh my god, lacorneille17, what an incredibly thoughtless and cruel thing for that idiot to say to you! I would have loved to say back, "I don't know why you're speaking out loud"

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 201
    Options

”Why don’t you postpone treatment until you get symptoms from the cancer?”

• metaclaudia
    metaclaudia Member Posts: 7
    Options

“when will you finish treatment?”

“I’m so glad that breast cancer doesn’t run in my family!” (Note: it doesn’t run in mine, either. )

“If anyone can beat this, it’s you!”

”But you look so healthy!”

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 531
    Options

Metaclaudia, that one about no family history, ugh, I've heard that one before. Most of us don't have family history! Here's my recent favorite, said to me:

"Oh, I'm not worried about getting breast cancer, I don't have any risk factors."

Um, do you have breasts? Then yes, yes you do.