Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets do a Sh*t People say to Metastatic BC Patients

Options

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

[go Leah!]

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

LOL, Leah! Thanks for the best laugh!

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    Options

I actually snorted a beverage out my nose at that one. Perfect!

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    Options

Yup. It's a damn shame to waste coffee like that. (get it - waste?)

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    Options

ROTFLMAO!!!!  You go Leah.  You too NineTwelve.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    Options

Thanks for the laugh(s)!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,055
    Options

Leah, you owe me a new laptop, because this one is covered in water now. You ladies crack us up :)

The Mods

• Anne45
    Anne45 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Leah you are so funny! I just love it. I will be smiling all day over this one!

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Nerdy

• NYCchutzpah
    NYCchutzpah Member Posts: 148
    Options

Leah really needed the laugh this morning. Toda raba

Charlotte

• Sturdy1
    Sturdy1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

9/12 & Leah ,

I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time... Thanks

• Tam_
    Tam_ Member Posts: 67
    Options

..... Now I'm craving coffee!

I vote we create our own cancer "Here's your sign" cards to hand out to the kind but clueless people we are surrounded with! Then we need to create a catchy quote book of all this to sell in the Barnes and Nobel gift books section at check out!. If the book stops even one attempt to "fix" us it would be sooo worth it!!!

• ninetwelve
    Options

Yes, we need a book.

Something else that can't be summed up in a few words, but I find a few of my long-distance friends talking to me like I'm going to drop dead in ten minutes.

Them (every day): How are you? Can I do anything for you?

Me: No, thanks. I feel good. My doctor says I'm doing fantastic.

Them: Do you need anything? How are you?

Me: Still fine. I'm so fine it's boring. How are you?

Them: Do you need any help?

Me: No, thanks! You're sweet.

Them: How about now?

Me: LEAVE ME ALONE!

(Seriously, though, I wish they could treat me like they always did. I'm still the same person.)

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 493
    Options

Love this thread. 

Leah, you rule!  Too funny.

Ninetwelve, guess that's one advantage of living in the mid-west, no one has heard of the Gerson thing.  Here I am supposed to heal myself with prayer and a positive attitude, but I get to drink my coffee!

When I was first dx'd and repeated what Dr Google had told me about average life expectancy being 2 years, both a DF and DMIL said "Oh, 2 years, that's not so bad."

I realize now they only said that because they were afraid the time was much shorter, but it made my jaw drop at the time.  (Still, not so bad compared to your list Tamara!)

• Tam_
    Options

I have the opposite.....

Them- "How are you?"

Me-"My brain mri shows growth, waiting to hear treatment options. How are you?"

Them-" My boyfriend (of over a year) is going with me to get a new cell phone. I'm such a nervous wreck over it!"

Me- " I'm sure it will be fine. Tell him you're nervous. That will relieve you of some stress and let him know to be sensitive to you "

Them- "Thanks! I can always count on you to make me feel better!"

Me- "Happy to help"

I try not to get hurt. I get that people don't know how to handle this. But an acknowledgement here or there that I may be feeling a little stress would be appreciated.

Signed

Happy to Help in California =)

• Tam_
    Options

LOL Jobur! I wonder if anyone looks back at what they've said to us and start smacking themselves saying "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" If not.... Line forms here!

• ninetwelve
    Options

lol, Tamara.

"Your boyfriend is getting you a cell phone? You're so brave!"

• Tam_
    Options

Yeah.... I white knuckled it all day for her! lol

Gotta luv it right?!

• susaninsf
    susaninsf Member Posts: 1,099
    Options

Too funny about the cell phone!

A young medical resident came in before my MO and started asking me all the standard questions. I told her I was having an oophorectomy next week. She literally shrieked, "Congratulations!!!". I said, "You can congratulate me if the operation goes well but I think it's premature to do so now." About 10 minutes later she said, "Have you ever said something and then immediately wished you could take it back? Well that's how I feel about saying 'Congratulations' to you. I'm so sorry." At least she realized that her response was inappropriate.

• Tam_
    Options

At least she caught herself before she got you a balloon bouquet! ... On second thought, you could have beat her with the balloons! Maybe with their medical training, a course on sensitivity and manners should be required!  My MO told me at least I had the "best" kind of cancer as there is so much new information all the time. Too bad he didn't actually read it or my med records!

• susaninsf
    susaninsf Member Posts: 1,099
    Options

Tamara, Thanks for the good laugh! Balloon bouquet! You're precious!

• eshinall
    eshinall Member Posts: 41
    Options

Ok, I don't know if anyone is still reading this and I posted to this quite a while ago, but have another one I got at work from a coworker that I hardly know. In had really bad acne from Afinitor--

On the elevator at work:

Coworker--How are you feeling?

Me-I'm doing fine, thanks.

Coworker--Oh, well that's good because you look like a teenaged boy going through puberty.

Sigh.....

Liz

• txmom
    txmom Member Posts: 220
    Options

"I'm sorry for your loss."  Wth, I'm still alive.  My teenager abhors when people tell her, "Ur mom will be ok, she's going to beat this."......This thread is a hoot but pathetic.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    Options

I'm so glad someone got this thread active again so I could find it.I'm having a scan tomorrow and I really needed a laugh.

"You get to have new, bigger and better boobs."

I can't wait to go back and read all 37 pages when I have time.

• kebab
    kebab Member Posts: 98
    Options

Man... I had to call the advice nurse this weekend. Had chemo on Wednesday and on Friday afternoon I spiked a fever of 101.5. So, lucky me, the nurse that answered my call was a bc survivor (I'll bet she was wearing pink scrubs). She looks at my file and says "ooh, you've had a tough year!" (me, in my head, yeah, actually it's been 3 tough years, but...ok).
    She: I had breast cancer too you know.
    Me: Hm. I hope you're doing well now.
    She: Well it's been 18 years now, so you do the math!
    Me: (wtf does that even mean?) Uh. Good for you. Congratulations.
    She: I looked awesome without hair. Totally rocked the look.
    Me: (still feverish and ill) That's great.
    She: Let me give you a little advice. No shoes in the house. They bring in germs you know!
    Me: (speechless... but praising the LORD that after that gem, she finally passed me along to a doctor...)

I wish people would understand that all bc paths are not the same and are not comparable. I cut some slack to Jane on the street who probably still doesn't know what mbc is, but a nurse, with all my medical information there in front of her?? She should know better. I feel like instead of getting the medical help I was calling for, I got the opportunity to congratulate yet another survivor on not being me.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    Options

I recommend going through the first couple of pages of this thread. Laugh out loud funny.

ok, so I was dx'd in 2011. Nice radiologist did my MRI. 4 years later I'm back for another MRI, which showed some progression. The Dr. says " I'm so happy to see you. When I saw your first MRI four years ago, I thought you were a goner."

Really?

• txmom
    txmom Member Posts: 220
    Options

Stefajoy, I think this is my new favorite thread. So nice to know I'm not alone with my wth? moments. When I was getting my MRI, he asked me, "Why are you crying?" Um, because I'm 46 and terminal.

• eshinall
    eshinall Member Posts: 41
    Options

I agree. These stories are pathetic, but hilarious. We really need to make a YouTube video or something. I seriously have thought about doing something like that. I get really annoyed during breast cancer awareness month too. I'm aware. ;)

Liz

• ChicagoGirl
    ChicagoGirl Member Posts: 3
    Options

I remember meeting a new guy and telling him about being diagnosed with BC...His only reply was "so are you going to die"??

My reply to him was "well you know we're all going to die its called the cycle of life, you live and you die"!!

He looked at me with such confusion..

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

reviving this thread to report

Person who is 30 yrs older than I am says to me "who'd want to live as long as I have? It's ridiculous."

Um... I would!