Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Treating estrogen responsive cancer naturally

Options

Comments

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited September 2012
    Options

1Athena1,sweetie did you know your caps key is on? Yep I took black cohosh and a lot of friends at work do too,supposedly the Germans take Remifimen which is standardized form of it. If you buy it over the counter dont know what you might be getting and I bought one supplement of it at the store and realized one capsule was overdosing so I went and got the Remi which has been tested in Germany and appears somewhat safe and effective. It did ok for me but I stopped it as you are not supposed to take it with Lisinopril which I take for bld prz.

Dr Furhman? My fiance and I love Dr Furhman,we try to follow all his advice and I recorded his show off PBS. Unfortunately I also like candy and junk and with surg and having to "not raise heart rate after implant surg" per my PS which is no exercise of any sort whatsoever. I am getting fat and I hate it cause I have always been thin and able to eat like a pig and never gain an ounce and those days are over.

Can I run with implants? After I heal up I need some serious exercise,before BC I took zumba. Anyone do zumba? I told my friend after she moved to NC and she had never heard of it. Guess she lives under a rock..lol

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited September 2012
    Options

Mini - I did use Paw Paw for a month.  My bioenergetic and kinesiology tests always said no but I did it anyway after awhile.  Just to be more certain I had covered that base too.  I am glad the Paw Paw is safe in the hands of NS research, relieved actually. 

LOVEEssa

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited September 2012
    Options

I do realize this is off topic, but the comment was made here so addressing my information to it......

Was mentioned that grains do nothing for us, but I disagree.  Besides all they do, they are a source of Vitamin B17 which is what is missing from our nutrition and is able to activate critical components to deal with cancer cells safely and naturally.  Unfortunately, grains are usually processed and these components are undone.  But the grains, if eaten whole, are beneficial. A lot of my info here is from A World Without Cancer but many ohter books I have at home.

I understand buckwheat and millet to be greatest in B17, not certain of this moment, but the list is

grains - buckwheat, millet, barley, brown rice, chia, flax, rye, vetch, wheat berries, oat groats, buckwheat groats,

seeds - chia, flax, sesame

nuts - bitter almonds, cashews, macadamias

beans - lentils, garbanzo, lima, scaret runner, burma, rangoon, black-eyed peas, black beans, green peas, kidney beans

sprouts - lentils, bamboo, alfalfa, fava, garbanzo, mung

tubers - yams, sweet potatoes, cassava

leaves - alfalfa, beet greens, spinach, watercress, eucalyptus

grasses - bamboo shoots, minus, wheat , white dover, milkweed, Sudan, acacia, Johnson, alfalfa, 

berries -  red raspberry, black raspberry, blackberry, chokeberry, cranberry, elderberry, strawberry, Christmas berry,

fruit seeds - inside the pits of apricots, nectarine, peaches, plums, prunes, cherries, and the seeds of raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, elderberries, wild crabapples, apple, pear seeds

other - sorghum, yew tree (needles, fresh leaves), fuschia plant, wild hydrangea

Which are strongest, I will check as I go and make notes on bco, alt or nat threads

As it goes, these are indeed phytoestrogens, yes, but if I believe in what I am being told, and I so do, then the phytoestrogens will block that estrogen receptor on cancer cells and do good for me.   I am not afraid of phytoestrogens.  But that is just me.

LOVEEssa

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am not afraid of them either. Some think they are bad, some good. My mon brought over the latest issue of Womens Health last night and the recent news is that soy is protective against breast cancer.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012
    Options

It is my understanding it has to do the with the form of soy and the amounts. Soy supplements are not good for BC in any amount. Tempeh, edmame, miso and tofu are said to be ok in limited amounts.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited September 2012
    Options

How about potatoes? Are they ok?.  I eat a lot of them because I don't like the sweet potatoes.

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

Unless you have a thing against white food, i,e, white rice, bread, potaotes, etc., potatoes are fine. You should however buy organic whenever possible. They are loaded with pesticides these days. Be sure to scrub them  before cooking them. I've also read that it is better to eat them with the skins on (it helps the body from converting the starch into sugar too quickly), so it is doubly important to buy organic and/or clean them thoroughly. A lot of people say they are just empty starch, but they are actually good for you except when fried or baked as chips. I like to cut mine up and brush them with a little olive oil, paprika, garlic salt and kosher or pink salt and bake them. Delish. Also you can make your own chips in the oven so you don't have the oils in them that are bad for you.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks! When you bake them do you set the oven at 450 and bake for a few minutes? Or 350 for a longer period of time eg. 1/2 hour?

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

I usually do them at 400*-425*. The time depends on how big the pieces are. I usually use red potatoes and cook them between 20-30 minutes. You can also sprinkle them with finely shredded parmesean when take them out. Actually, you can bake pretty much any vegetable and sprinkle it with parmesean and a little lemon juice when you take it out of the oven. Broccoli and asparagus are especially good that way.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2012
    Options

Great - I'll try it -just bought 5 lbs of red potatoes which were on sale.

Lunch today: Avocado, mushrooms and Pico de Gallo.  Delicious!  Banana for dessert--

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

Lunch sounds delish! I love mushrooms. So glad they are good for us.

• Summer_Girl
    Summer_Girl Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2012
    Options

Layla,  You asked about exercising with implants.  Running may be too much, but if you live close to a nice outdoor walking area (on dirt) that is great exercise.  I live close to the ocean, so I can go on a fast paced, long walk (1-10miles depending or what I feel like) on the hard sand.  Also, Zumba class is great because you can do things at what ever pace and whatever extention you want; I love it.  If you're at the gym, the life cylcle or treadmill (for fast paced walks) is good.  A lot of gyms have TVs these days, so you can pick the machine in front of your favorite TV show; time flies when you are focused on your favorite show.  

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

If you use a treadmill, always use it on a 1 incline. Walking with a -0- incline is the same as walking downhill. :-)

• Layla2525
    edited September 2012
    Options

Laurie, You are so right, my Gen Phys told me never to run on the cement sidewalks. Always use an earth surface because runners on cement get joint damage. I belong to the Y and the beach is 25 mi away so I can ask my PS about the exercise and when I can resume,I hate not being able to exercise cause I am gaining a lot of weight. I work 10 hr days at a desk job. Not only is it boring,its bad for my health.

Just saw the trailer for "Hungry for Change", very shocking! I want to learn more about diet and how it can treat/prevent/affect ER+ cancer but so many experts have such varied opinions. I am learning a lot from all the ladies on this thread and their info gives me more ideas on areas I need to research to discuss with my MO. 

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

Layla - Forks Over Knives and FoodMatters are both very good. I watched them on NetFlicks, but I'm sure you can find them in other places. I also looked at the book Forks Over Knives and it contained some good recipes. Sometimes vegetarian recipes call for ingredients that you can't find in small towns with no stores like like Whole Foods. I'm not doing a total vegan diet as Forks Over Knives recommends, but I learned a lot about food and diet and am adopting a modified version of it. If I like it, I may do more, but whether you do or not, there is still good info to be had.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited September 2012
    Options

My neighbor's cardiologist recommended this plant-based program, which they're following and loving:

http://engine2diet.com/ 

If you're use to eating meat and interested in more plant-based meals, it might be a good resource for recipes and ideas.  

They also have a FB page.      Deanna 

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks dlb. I'm checking it out now.

• graced
    graced Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2012
    Options

You can watch Forks over Knives on Hulu for free.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734 

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

It's a little more difficult to eat the way they propose when you're gluten-free and have to watch the soy, but I've learned to incorporate a lot more fruits and vegetables into my diet from these books and shows. The variety of ways to cook things helps make it less boring. I actually like them more and more as time goes on.

• Layla2525
    edited September 2012
    Options

thx grace, I went to see the program when Girls Gone Green had their vegan fest here but we got there too late and it was just about over. Really wanna see that when I get a few minutes. I think we stayed at the reggae band they had too long cause I love reggae music especially Jimmy Cliff and Bob Marley. I think my son and his gfrd borrowed my CD and took it with them cause I never saw my Woman No Cry song again. Oh well back to Stevie Nicks, they got her tapes on Palladia lately and I just love her & Fleetwood Mac. Call me crazy!

Yep I am up at 1am,cant sleep lately,my mom's bday was end of Aug and dunno how old she would have been if she had survived the endo/ovarian cancer. The genetics counselor told me due to that I could get genetic testing for Brca but I heard a new test was coming out and I already had a bmx so should I still get tested? Did any of you get tested?

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

I thought about it but didn't. Now I wish I had. I thought already having BC and not having any daughters (and yes I know men can get BC) that it wouldn't really serve any purpose except using more of my lifetime insurance available $$$, but now that I am reading more about treatments and diet, I think knowing if I had the gene or not would help me in making some of my decisions. 

Does it matter if you are tested after you have surgery and radiation, or does it have to be at the time of diagnoses, does anone know? I think I would have it done now if I could.

• graced
    graced Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2012
    Options

You can get tested anytime because you either have those genes or you don't.  But whether or not they express themselves is due to so many other factors as we know.  The rate of women with BRCA1/2 that got BC 75 years ago is much lower than of their daughters and grand-daughters so the gene alone is just one piece of the puzzle.  I chose not to get tested because I had decided on a lumpectomy and wasn't going to change my mind even if I had the gene so it wasn't going to make a difference in my treatment choices.

• Mini1
    edited September 2012
    Options

That was pretty much my reasoning too, but now after looking at some of the meds and diets I think it could play a part in whether or not they would be effective. I don't know anymore. There's nothing simple about this stupid disease is there? For every one thing there is a counter point. Just once I'd like something to be a simple yes or no. For all the research I"ve done you'd think I'd feel smarter. Instead I feel more ignorant than ever. Sigh.

• DianaNM
    DianaNM Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012
    Options

Mimi, I have heard that the patent on the gene test is almost up, so it should be a lot cheaper in a year or so. Anyone else heard that? I am thinking of getting tested down the road, for my daughter's sake.

I have recommended this before, but it is still my go to site for nutritional information. Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, has a website called Marks Daily Apple. He's very comprehensive in keeping up with the latest nutritional information. Recently there was a link to an article rebutting the "study" that concluded that organic produce isn't really nutritionally better.

Seeing an Integrative doctor today, finally. Hoping she will help keep track of my hormones so I will know if my supplementation program is still working. At least when I see my regular Onco on Friday I can tell her I am working with the Integrative doctor. That is, when I tell her I am not taking Femara.

Just noticed my keyboard is a bit yellow! It's from the curcumin pills. lol 

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2012
    Options

By tracking your hormones do you mean estrogen?  I read on another thread someone doing that, but then someone else said your estrogen varies throughout the day so it is not very trustworthy to do the test. My onc never even brought it up. I am interested because I don't think I have much estrogen at age 76 and that would be my argument against continuing the AI.

• dlb823
    edited September 2012
    Options

dogsandjogs, I was looking for a study on older women and aromatese inhibitors for you, and I came across this one (not the one I was looking for), which I thought might interest you.  http://healthomg.com/2011/09/16/certain-breast-cancer-drugs-linked-with-heart-risks-in-older-women/

I'll continue to try to find the other one which does question how much women over a certain age benefit from an A/I.

As far as estrogen testing, I can answer that.  Our estrogen levels fluctuate throughout the day.  So if you have your estrogen tested via a blood test, you're only seeing what your estrogen level is at that particular point in time.  It might be higher or lower at other times of the day.  That doesn't make a blood test useless -- just not as sensitive as a 24-hour urine test, especially for younger women who have more estrogen to be concerned about.      Deanna

• dlb823
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • dogsandjogs
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks for sending this!  I hadn't seen it and since I have high BP and Atrial Fibrillation I was worried about the Aromasin when I took it. 

Coincidentally, I am having a stress/echo tomorrow due to some chest pain the other day.

The cardio is not worried; he thinks my heart is fine, but I haven't had one in 4 years so--

Thanks again for the article!

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2012
    Options

Yes, that one I've read.  I can relate because I'm Danish ---

Thanks - that article was one of the reasons I decided to quit Aromasin.

• dlb823
    edited September 2012
    Options

I haven't gone back to see if this was already shared here, but the link was posted on another thread today, and I thought I'd repost here, since it has to do with the aromatese affect of mushrooms:  

http://www.cityofhope.org/about/publications/news/Pages/city-of-hope-researchers-demonstrate-anti-cancer-effect-of-mushrooms-in-studies-at-2011-asco-annual-meeting.aspx