Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Any avid horseback riders out there?

Options

Comments

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes, horse addiction does start at an early age and seems to stay with you for lifeLoopy. I agree that horses would be good for therapy.

• cowgal
    edited December 2015
    Options

Just wanted to wish all my fellow horse lovers Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays! I hope everyone is having fun with their horses.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited December 2015
    Options

Yes - another owner rider here. So far, I've been trying to squeeze in as many more rides as possible before frozen ground. This winter has been a gift so far with mild temps. Wishing everyone Happy Holidays!

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 779
    edited December 2015
    Options

Happy Holidays to everyone. Cowgal,thanks for keeping this going.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2015
    Options

Merry Christmas to all!

• Partyoffive
    Partyoffive Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2015
    Options

hi my fellow horse lovers-as I text I am sitting in our barns indoor ring watching my kids ride. I am stage 4 and have bone mets-I have been very cautious about getting on our horse but wanted to go on a ride with my kids. Had a great time and no issues last week I go to get on my sons new pony and he says-mom I wouldn't do that Tucker likes to take off-I thought I would be fine and had one foot in the stirrup and was swinging my leg around and he took off I lost my balance and of course got dumped onto the gravel parking lot not the nice sand ring. Needless to say I felt like an idiot and thanked God I was able to walk away from it. Next time I will listen to my 12 year old.

Happy holidays!

Kristin

• KarenAus
    KarenAus Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2015
    Options

I am also a horse addict. Through my treatment since March they have been my sanity even not riding. I have a special pony who has looked after me when I have managed to ride. My young mare has just come home due to getting colics where she has been, lack of grass we are thinking. I go away Monday and want a ride before hand but we are now in a heatwave and no way I can manage in those conditions. I also have my big boy being a wonderful paddock ornament due to needing to be brought back into work afte 2 1/2 years of paddock rest. I WILL get my strength back and I will get back into working them properly.

This is my first ride after double mastectomy and AC chemo when on taxol. his and my first ride in 4 months. The paddock ornament in the background.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hello all, I just found this wonderful thread! Beautiful pictures everyone. I love to ride, love my horses. We have a bay mare, age 18 and her spoiled rotten (yes we did that) gelding son that is 6 years old now. We adopted her when she was pregnant from the Humane Society Equine Rescue here in Missouri. We have been gentle breaking our gelding, we named him Hoss, after the sweet man on Bonanza. The mare is Patsy, the rescue named her that after Patsy Cline, so we kept it!. They are such sweethearts. This fall we lost our herd gentleman, our wise old Arabian was 30. He had cancer and had to be put down. I still miss him every day. He was my ride, my love. Thank you for listening to me talk about my horses! They really are like part of the family, yes?

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 779
    edited January 2016
    Options

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year

Thank you for being here (even though i mostly lurk)

• cowgal
    edited April 2016
    Options

It's new helmet time for me. I am trying to decide if I should stay with Troxels, which is what I have always had. When horseback I would be riding western, trail riding or checking cattle. Looking at what Troxel has and my head size (23"), I only can do the Cheyenne or the Sierra models and those seem fine other than they look hot and heavy. I am thinking about a Tipperary Sportage as they look like they might be lighter and have more ventilation. I assume that they would all be equally well as far as safety since they pass the same safety tests. I just wondered for those of you who also ride with a helmet, what you preferred and what you liked about it? Thanks!

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    edited April 2016
    Options

I used a Tipperary and find them much more comfortable than the Troxels--but again, head shape matters. I do/did endurance and found them the least hot of all helmets. Troxel has come out with a new line which I believe is aimed at the western market--you might want to look at those too. Q

• cowgal
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Quaatsi. I have looked at the new western Troxels and I really love the style but I just can't see that it could be anything but hot even though they say it is well ventilated. I think I might give the Tipperary Sportage 8500 a try. I did notice that their is a change in the safety testing that went into place this year, which does not make old helmets bad but the newer ones are having to conform to the new standard this year where they are crash tested on more head forms instead of just one. I assume that means they are testing on different head shapes. I noticed that I needed to be careful on the Tipperary as it is looks like some of the helmets for sale are the old standard and some the new. Nothing is wrong with the old but I figure that I might as well get the new standard.

• Kjones13
    edited June 2016
    Options

it has been a hard week. My horse is on pasture board. He foundered 2 years ago. I didn't get X-rays. Vet didn't seem to think it was a bad case. I have kept a grazing muzzle on him ever since because I have no doubt he would eat himself to death. This past winter was extremely wet. He got thrush. Treated that. He continues to get thrush because he would stand in the muck and mud to eat at the hay feeder. My farrier recommended keeping him up for a while to get him on dry ground. We also did a cleaner thing (can't think of the name) but basically super strong Clorox taped to his foot for 45 minutes, then put a dry bag on that foot for another 45 minutes. I did this for both front feet. He just never seemed to get much better. I wasn't able to get out to see him for a couple weeks while we put our house on the market, sold it, and bought another house, plus having two kids in baseball. The owner of the farm called me (he knows that I am stage 4 and helps me out so much! So sweet.) and told me my horse was lame. I thought he was sore because his toes were long. The farrier was scheduled to come out in a few days. By the time he got there my horse was dead lame and we found maggots in one of the heel bulbs. The vet could not come so I got another vet to come take x-rays. Both front cofin bones were on the bottom of his hoof. Rotation and sinking. It was one of my worst days. I didn't put him down. The farrier put shoes on him as well as heel pads. It's been 6 days and he is doing ok. The vet and farrier are coming back early next week. I have so much guilt. How could I let my old man get this bad?! I just needed to vent. I want to make him comfortable. We bought our new house so we could have him with me. I'm so sad

• rrgoods
    rrgoods Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

Today was my last day of radiation treatment. Will be going on Arimidex on Thursday if I can take it. My husband is concerned as I have Osteopenia and what happens if I fall? RO told me to do what makes be happy but be careful! Got back in the saddle about a month ago. So far so good. I too have issues mounting up. (My guy is 17 hands and is built like a Mack Truck).

Feel my left leg is weaker. Going to stock up on the vitamins and minerals. Good luck everyone! We so love our furry friends!!!

• meadow
    edited June 2016
    Options

k Jones, I hurt for you and him. I know you are doing what you can for him. When those things happen we feel SO BADLY. At some point his quality of life may tell you it is time to put him down, but it doesn't sound like it yet. Hang in there!

• meadow
    edited June 2016
    Options

rrgoods good for you! Wonderful picture thanks for sharing. You and him both look great!

• cowgal
    edited June 2016
    Options

Kjones - I feel so bad about your horse. I hope things have gotten better.

Rrgoods - beautiful horse.

Hope everyone is enjoying their horses.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2016
    Options

Kjones - I 'm sorry your horse has founder issues. I've been there too....

Rrgoods - yikes! 17 hands!! Ask you MO about Prolia injections for your osteopenia. Lots of recent discussions about it. I much prefer over Zometa infusions.

Riding my pony at 7:30 AM to beat the heat! We need rain bad as ring is so dusty.

• meadow
    edited July 2016
    Options

k Jones, did your horse improve from his founder back in June?

• Kjones13
    edited July 2016
    Options

meadow--thanks for checking in! He is still in a stall on grass hay only. He has 3 more weeks in a stall and then hopefully he can at least go out into a dry lot.

I moved to a different county and so I moved him too. We are working to get stalls built and the pasture fenced. It's frustrating. I want to do so much. I used to be able to work all day long. Oh well. It is what it is.

So his front feet look great. Shoes and pads help a lot! It's now his back feet. Standing in muck all day. They clean twice a day but don't have the amount of shavings I prefer. My farrier is coming to look at the back tomorrow. Here are some pictures from today. I had just washed his butt and hind legs because he has also had diarrhea. Bio sponge to the rescue. Always something!

Left hind

Right hind (blurry)

• BGardenia3
    BGardenia3 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2016
    Options

Wow - going back through eleven months of posts, here and in my other threads/topics. Guess I've been busy. It is nice to catch up with what everyone has been doing. Sorry to read about foundering horses, etc. Our horse movie finally had its premiere last week (Emma's Chance) and now I can breathe better. rrgoods - your guy is gorgeous. Good luck on Arimidex.

• Kjones13
    edited July 2016
    Options

My daughter, 5, had her first lesson today!!! She LOVED it! We are really going to be horse poor now :)

As for my guy, wasn't as bad as it looked. Farrier came out and trimmed his frogs as they were shedding. don't need any bacteria growing! I'm anxious for August 3rd to get here. He will have X-rays and hopefully!!! Get out of the stall!!!!!

• cowgal
    edited March 2017
    Options

Just checking to see how my fellow horse lovers are doing. 🐴

• Partyoffive
    Partyoffive Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2017
    Options

cowgal: love the post as I'm reading it we are sitting on a plane heading to Ocala to horse shop for my son. He's moving up from a pony and is very excited for his first horse. We have 3 ponies right now and my son and daughter are gearing up for devon(a very big horse show in pa) and pony finals in Kentucky. I feel very blessed to have these amazing animals in our lives and know that if and when I get sicker the kids will have their horses to help them heal. Have a great weekend-love on your horses!

Kristin

• cowgal
    edited March 2017
    Options

Goodluck with the horse search! Sounds like you all will be pretty busy with your horses.

• Kjones13
    edited March 2017
    Options

ooohhh! Horse shopping in Ocala! Wish I was a mouse in your pocket! If you need to take a break, swing through Asheville NC and hang with this Kristin right here! Ha! :) my old man, who foundered last year...he is doing amazing! I finally have him at home with me. I bought him a girlfriend. They have a love/hate relationship. He's such a typical guy. But he is doing so well the vet cleared him to light riding!! My happy place!!!

• cowgal
    edited March 2017
    Options

I am glad to hear your horse is healing well!

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    edited March 2017
    Options

My horses are my world. I was back riding 6 weeks after surgery. I had a lumpectomy and a bilateral reduction done. I rode for a month until I started radiation and I still ride but I am about halfway through radiation and doing anything more than a walk is painful. . I am just happy to be out there with them.

• KarenAus
    KarenAus Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2017
    Options

My horses are having a wonderful time in the paddock. I had DIEP in Jan and was hoping that by now I would be back riding but now back in hospital for a strange infection that I have had 5 times now. :(

KarenAus

• meadow
    edited March 2017
    Options

Cowboy-up, just being with horses is healing to me too. Winston Churchill said, "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" So true!

Karen so sorry about the infection I too have been battling one, since January. Hang in there.