Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any avid horseback riders out there?

Comments

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited May 2019

Hi gals, just wondering who is around. It was so nice to go back and read the old posts again. Can't write much today as my computer is in the shop and it's hard to type on my phone. Here's a picture of Talula. She is my friend's horse and my friend wants me to ride her really looking forward to it and at one time she was really trained so it will be nice to collect her up and really ride. It's been quite a while since I have ridden.

When I was first diagnosed 10 years ago this month, I was terrified and had no idea how I would get through this. I'm so lucky that a horse came into my life just before I was diagnosed. His name was Buck and he was a buckskin (of course!) and probably about 25 years old. Going through all my treatments I had Buck to think about and care for. At first he was obstreperous and had terrible ground manners but low and behold he turned into a puppy dog. Even though I was going through Chemo i could at least brush him a little...other times I would handwalk him and walk very, very slowly and he would be right there with me , happy to walk at my slow pace.

It would be great to hear from other horse crazy girls.

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited May 2019

Hey cowgirl13! I just popped in to say hi! Wow, it's been a long time. So what happened to Buck? Your friends horse is beautiful!

My old guy, who foundered so terribly a couple years ago is doing great! He's my heart horse and still a pain in my rear! I recently leased a horse for me to really get back into riding!! I had my final surgery (hopefully) two weeks ago, so in another two weeks I'm going to start training for shows and maybe hunter paces, maybe some eventing! The mare istrained up to 4 th level in dressage so she's is pretty special! My daughter is also showing. Actually tomorrow is shown #2 for the season.

Let me see those beautiful horses!! Here is my leased mare, Cleo and my husband on his paint mare, Pennyimage

• Dogwood1
    Dogwood1 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019

I started having back issues prior to my BC diagnosis last year so I was no longer riding as much and put it on hold until I could get my back fixed. I was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer and had surgery to remove tumor and lymph nodes last August and completed radiation in September. I have Osteopenia and with taking the Anastrozole I now receive an IV every 6 months of Zometa. As for my back problems I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in L4, L5 and S1. I received 2 injections prior to surgery but only relieved for short period of time. No current plan in place yet to find out what my next plan of action is to find some back relief.

I live alone, I am my only lively hood and the medicine I am on causes my bones to weaken and makes me bruise like crazy. Considering all of this I decided to give up on my barrel racing as it is a pretty grueling sport on my body.

As much as I miss having the horses I have to say I have not missed the sport to much, not to mention the unloading of 50 lb feed bags, 100 lb bales of hay, feeding 2x a day and cleaning stalls. Lol

Now to find a new hobby and a way to get my ass back in shape. Having no hormones in my body and not riding everyday is taking it's toll on my weight!!!

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2019

Hi all,

Fellow horsewoman here! I have one horse and I can't wait to get back to riding! I'm 5 weeks out from a BMX with TE's placed. I'm hoping I can start riding week 6, but I'll wait to hear from the PS!

For now I'm just brushing him and I'll admit, even that is a little tiring on my arms.

• DorothyB
    DorothyB Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2020

Just found this thread. Spending time with horses has been very therapeutic for me. I can't remember how long after lumpectomy before I rode my horse again - not too long.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited January 2020

Welcome DorothyB. What type of horse do you own and what type of riding do you do?

• DorothyB
    edited January 2020

I have a 24 3/4 Arabian that I have owned since he was 8 1/2. We did a bit of limited distance endurance (25 - 30 mile rides in 6 hours), but now he is retired so we don't do rides over 15 miles with no time limit so can go slower.

I got my maybe 7 yr old? Arabian less than a year before being diagnosed. The person I got him from rescued him from a kill pen. We are still struggling as he has pain issues that have been hard to identify and resolve as well as being very sensitive and reactive. I'm still hoping to be able to do limited distance endurance with him.

• cowgal
    edited January 2020

One of my horses was injured in a tornado/straight line wind storm back in 2003. I do not know what kind of pain issues your Arabian has but my paint did well for a long time with polyeurathane shoes and shots into one of his hocks. The first time he got those shoes, he had this odd look on his face on how it felt to walk in them but he liked them. That worked for a while and now I have completely retired him and just enjoy his presence.

• DorothyB
    edited January 2020

Nick's issues are more related to withers (has had injections 4 places between T1 and T7) and has bone spurs on shoulder between C5 & C6 and a little bit between C6 & C7

Trainer rode him yesterday (walk only and not too long) and it went well and he wasn't on Equioxx, etc!!

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2020

Hay...fellow horse lovers!

I've been on these boards since 2013 and cannot figure out how I could have missed this topic. Although I am a city girl, my heart belongs in a barn on a ranch. Over my lifetime I've had 4 horses. I rescued two from kill pens three years ago. One was a registered Egyptian Arabian only 5 years old, greenbroke. I saw his eyes and couldn't let him die. I paid to quarantine him for 30 days then have him shipped to my state. The other is a Moab 15 years old and very well trained. He even drives. He's stunning. I shipped him from Louisiana. I have no idea why the former owner sent him to auction but he's mine now and I will never give him up. I have willed him to a dear friend who owns horses when the time comes.

I did not have experience enough to train my Arab, so I found a wonderful man with lots of experience and success with training, so Aragon (I renamed him from Marcus) is with Henry, the new owner and very happy.

I know nothing about the Morgan/Arab not even his age, Vets have guessed by looking at his teeth that he was 15 years old when I rescued him. He is gorgeous and perfect size for me. 14.5 hands almost a pony. He's got a thick mane and tail that almost drags on the ground. He really is stunning.

These two wonderful animals have been life-savers for me. If I can, I will post their photos.

Anyway, I just want to introduce myself and enjoy your experiences and stories about your own horses.

Much equine love to you all.

Amy

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2020

Not so much a horse rider than a horse lover at the moment!! But horses are and always have been a very important part of my life (now for around 42 years!). Currently own a AQHA mare and 3 AMHA registered Minis. Never a dull moment. My mare is 16 now and lives with me since she was 3.5 and the Minis are between 4-10. The mare has issues that make riding difficult (PSSM and going blind on one eye) but we are trying to get a fresh start this spring. She is still the most beautiful animal in the whole world, and just looking and caring for all of them makes me happy.

Nice to meet you all!

• DorothyB
    edited January 2020

My older Arabian is Egyptian. I love their eyes!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited January 2020

Hi ladies. Not a horse rider, but definitely a horse owner. Actually I have a standard donkey, a mini donkey, a 14hh Shetland pony and we also keep my friend’s Arabian/quarter horse. All my equine are mares. There are no other equine within a mile of our place.

A couple days ago the friend’s horse knocked me down, after the Shetland pony went after her over food. I should have had them tied. It was pouring rain, one or both may be in heat, the horse is quite bonded to the pony, and she freaks out if the Shetland gets out of her sight. This has not been the first time the pony has misbehaved. She is well trained, but she is very ornery to the other animals, to the vet, the equine dentist - everyone. In fact she’s learned to throw herself on the ground in an effort to break the rope. She is around 16 and came from a rescue. I’ve had her about four years.

I was quite shaken by the fall, and I’m considering returning the pony to the rescue before she kills someone. I would be thankful for any input.

• rockymountaingirl
    rockymountaingirl Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2020

Farmerlucy, you have your hands full! It sounds like the horse is herd bound (or buddy sour), and the pony may have had some training in her past, but she is in urgent need of a refresher course in manners. As you recognize, both the Miss Horse and Madame Pony are big animals, and either one could hurt you if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. In addition, Madame Pony is endangering herself by throwing herself on the ground to try to break the rope. (Horses have been known to break their own necks that way.) Some retraining is needed here. Miss Horse needs to learn to learn to be OK when Madame Pony is not in sight, and at a minimum, Madame Pony needs to learn to stand quietly when tied and behave appropriately around other creatures, both human and non-human.

I suggest that you find an experienced trainer and ask him or her to observe the horse and the pony and advise you on ways to take control of the situation. The rescue that you got Madame Pony from may be able to provide some help, or at least suggest a trainer, so I suggest asking for help there before you give up on her. Being herd animals, Miss Horse and Madame Pony want to have a Herd Leader to follow. If you can be their Herd Leader, they will look to you to establish the rules and for the most part, they will follow them. (Don't expect perfection. Equines, like humans, like to test authority from time to time. Also, even the best of them forget the rules when they are scared or distracted.) If you can become the Boss Mare of your little herd, both Miss Horse and Madame Pony will be MUCH happier -- as well as MUCH, MUCH better behaved. Good luck, and stay safe!

• farmerlucy
    edited January 2020

Thanks for the great advice rockymountaingirl. I think I will contact the rescue.

• cowgal
    edited February 2020

FarmerLucy - Have you spoken with your friend that owns the horse about what is going on? If your friend is an experienced horse person, they might be able to help you with the situation as well in addition to asking the rescue what the pony has been through.

• farmerlucy
    edited February 2020

Her owner was going to come out today, The horse is 24 yo and she may have some vision problems. We’re gonna test for that.

I'll just be more careful. The pony came in with a body score of one. Lord only know what she's been though, I've calmed down now. Thanks so much for your advice, she's a good girl, albeit a brat, but she's my brat.

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

Hi everyone, I thought you might enjoy this. I just love it. Hope everyone is well.

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

I'm kind of quite today but wanted to post this wonderful image.

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

Here's one I saw today and really liked

• cowgal
    edited September 2020

Hi Cowgirl13. I love the pictures you have been posting recently!

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

Hi cowgal, thank you!

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited September 2020

Hi Cowgirl13! I have taken up horseback riding late in life (63). My sister was the avid rider growing up. She just returned to it two years ago. I have been hanging out with her and have fallen in love with horses. A 24 year old TB found me and made me his “hooman” and he is my horse. He has seen it all and has done it all. He is a gentle giant...bulletproof! We have saved each other...he wasn’t ready to retire and I don’t want to live the rest of my life in fear of a recurrence. Love him❤️!

Bella2013

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

Hi Bella! Good to see you here. How wonderful that the gentle giant found you and that he is bulletproof too. What is his name? I would love to see a picture of him. I love older horses and they are so appreciative. My avatar is Buck, a very old quarter horse that I met just as I was diagnosed. He got me through cancer. He was ridable for a while but he later had a hip problem so no riding which didn't matter at all to me. I brushed him up like a show horse, which he loved and then I would hand walk him all over--and at the same time telling him he was wonderful. My treatment lasted a year and a couple of months later he passed away. Of all the horses I have had or ridden he was the most special. You know, I can get through anything if I have a horse in my life.

• bella2013
    edited September 2020

imageHis name is Duke.

• bella2013
    edited September 2020

His name is Duke

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

He's beautiful! How did you happen to find him?

• cowgirl13
    edited September 2020

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2020

Hi fellow horse lovers,

I have had horses in my life throughout different times starting when I was 16. I bought my own horse without telling my parents. My best friend had a horse so I went to her barn practically every day after school which explained the horse smell (wonderful smell isn't it) Eventually I fessed up which was a much better way to enjoy my horse.

In my early 30's I had 3 kids, a job, husband and extreme desire for riding again so I took dressage and jumping lessons on school horses. We competed against each other at "shows" twice a summer. I did this for about 5 years.

Then, at about age 59,I rescued two horses from slaughter. Both young a 5 year old 100% registered Arabian and the other MoAb whose age is approximately 15 years old and trained for any and everything. I ride him the most, however lately my cancer has spread to my pelvis and other major areas that makes me worry about serious injuries should I fall so I've retired from riding but still have given him a great home.

I'm a city girl with country in my heart. I'm giving two of my granddaughters riding lessons. They caught the horse bug immediately upon birth, I'm convinced. After one of their first lessons, I took them to lunch. I told Ellie and Lucy to wash their hands. Ellie said, "but Nana, this smell is my perfume.as she sniffed her hands. That convinced me they got bit by the "horse bug"

Amy

• cowgal
    edited September 2020

Love the shirt Cowgirl 13.

Bella - Welcome. I love your horse!

AmyQ - Welcome and sorry you are having to give up riding but so happy that you are able to share it with your granddaughters.

Reading through what some of you have said, it reminded me of articles I remember reading in Western Horseman growing up where they had old timers that talked about that "one" horse. I think now we refer to them as heart horses. I have been lucky enough to have a heart horse that I have raised his whole life who is out of my father in law's mare. He helped me through my cancer battle the first time 10 years ago and is still with me and is 24 and about a year ago my cancer came back in my collarbone. I am not able to ride at present and he is retired but there is something that is very comforting when I am with him and I can tell he is comforted too. I am hoping in the spring that I will be well enough to ride one of my other horses that is sweet as can be but will definitely need someone to ride him a few times before I get up on him. It is definitely true that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man (or woman). :)