Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any avid horseback riders out there?

Options

Comments

• jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2013
    Options

So back to the indoor arena being partially flooded.....of course that means that the sand actually changes colors in some areas and y'all all know that a change in color in the sand is pretty scarey to horses....

Well at least to Jazzy!  She went through the mud going to the left ok several times but going to the right - oh my - she pitched a total fit.  She started the "backing up" and when told to go forward she decided to go sideways.  When that didn't work out so well she reared up, oh and then the back legs come off the ground.  She is actually rocking from front to back.

My trainer is so awesome.  She would ask Jazzy to take one step forward and then let her stop and think about it - and then another step - stop - step - stop....

Took forever because I swear Jazzy didn't move more than 2" at each step.  She can take the tiniest baby steps but takes these huge steps when she is backing up because she is scared.  You just had to be there.  I was laughing my butt off because it truly was a Jazzy moment and so typical for her to behave this way.

As soon as the trainer got her out of the "scarey dark sand area" then Jazzy was just moving so nicely at the trot and canter like nothing had ever happened.

Our last show of the year is this weekend.  Due to my trainer's work schedule we may only get to show her one day instead of both days.  My trainer also works as an ER doctor which sure makes me feel confident in case I hurt myself getting launched off my horse!

So there you go.....the latest saga of the beautiful mare that is scared of everything!  Which doesn't make since as I have had her since birth other than maybe it is because she was orphaned at an early age.  Seriously - nothing bad has EVER happened to her.  She needs to grow a pair.

• jancie
    edited August 2013
    Options

Tomorrow Jazzy and I are headed to our last show of the year.  I told my trainer today "no pressure at all but if Jazzy gets 65% or better in one of her classes she is up for Lifetime Achievement Award in Training Level - but no pressure! Laughing   

My trainer said she is expecting more than just a 65% - me.....I never expect anything from my mare - she has a mind of her own.  Oh yea.........she is going back into heat.  By this time tomorrow she will be one flipping hussy at the horse show.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited August 2013
    Options

Looks like we have several more ladies joining in on our thread!  Welcome to you all! 

LPK49 - I hope you are able to find the horse you are looking for.  I had to buy a horse about 5 years ago when I had to retire a horse who now I've been able to move back to a semi retired status.  Anyway, the horse I bought was a 5 year old paint who was a western pleasure and halter horse.  This horse is very athletic but has such a good head on his shoulders that not much gets him worked up and he is as sweet as can be to boot.  Even while going through all of my surgeries and not getting much riding in, he was a champ.  Good luck on your horse search!

• lpk49
    lpk49 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013
    Options

sounds crazy what you went thru...but honestly-the way i feel tonight i would welcome doing that.  no way right now.  nasty zingers.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2013
    Options

Yes, too busy riding to post!  I've got an "at risk" girl riding my pony.  He needs ridden, she wants to ride, and she's good with him.  Working well so far.  Although honestly, I am the LAST person I would choose to be around an "at risk" youth!  I don't think I've ruined her so far.  I had a barrel race with a new association this past Saturday.  We did OK, won 1st in the 3D.

Congrats Jancie!  Give ol Jazzy a big hug from me for being such a good girl!  Yikes to the flooding!  I've been there done that - back breaking labor.

Nice to meet you jlow!  I used to raise and show cutters, LOVE IT, but can't afford it now.  Barrel racing is so much cheaper.

Hi Cynthia, sorry to hear you lost all your horses in a divorce.  I did too, which is why I'm no longer showing cutters.  The horse I have now is my husbands retired ranch horse.  He's not really all that fast, but he's willing, so we have been running barrels since my stage IV diagnosis in 2011. 

• jancie
    edited August 2013
    Options

Jazzy pulled through and got her score that she needed to qualify for Life Time Achievement Award for Training Level!!!!  

Of course she bucked the first class (she always has to do something) - 2nd class she scored big 65.600.

We had to scratch Sunday morning class as trainer who is an ER doctor couldn't get away from the hospital soon enough.

Jazzy got a 53 on her 3rd class - she was better than the score but this particular judge was only scoring in the 50's and 60's.  Everyone was complaining about her low scoring.  The judge knocked several people out of the finals because she was so off on her scoring.

• jlow51
    jlow51 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chele, wow how inspirational you are!! Stage IV and chasing cans.....and winning. Makes me ashamed as I have not shown my cutting horse since my dx. Ridden a lot but not shown.

So many of my friends have moved to other disciplines due the economy and cost of cutting. One friend bought her a barrel horse and has hit the road. Just as soon as I am released after exchange surgery, I will get started. Show season ends in Nov but hey, I may buy a barrel horse!!!

• jancie
    edited August 2013
    Options

So have any of ya'll ever had a horse psychic reading done?  I have done it 3 times and these people answer some really tough questions I have thrown at them and have been right most of the time.

• chele
    edited August 2013
    Options

I did once years ago jancie. I thought she was pretty spot on!

• jancie
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chele - Each time they have told me things that only I actually knew and they had no way of knowing before hand.  

The lady kept asking me what questions I had and I told her I was more interested in what Jazzy had to say.  Smile

The lady told me that Jazzy sometimes doesn't feel her front legs or they feel tingly - she had no way of knowing that Jazzy had check ligament surgery on her pasturns twice when she was just a year old.  But....knowing that Jazzy gets bothered by this means alot to me and so I will be watching her more carefully.  Jazzy said she sometimes doesn't know where her front legs are (when they are numb) which is the 2nd psychic she has said this to.  I didn't make much sense out of it the first time because I was trying to get Jazzy to understand that when she rears up I am worried that she will strike me with a leg and Jazzy responded "I don't know where my legs are so you have to watch out for me" - I figured it was because she was so darn tall as a baby and just couldn't figure out where her legs would land - I didn't put it together that they might go numb at times.

Oh and Jazzy said it again "I know I am a pretty girl" but she is never arrogant about it - it is just a plain fact that she knows very well and she does like people looking at her.

• jancie
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chele - what were some of the things the psychic told you?

• jancie
    edited September 2013
    Options

Today was not a good day.  My trainer hit a deer last night coming home from work so my lesson got cancelled.  Jazzy was on a roll as she did not want to be pulled out of the pasture to be ridden.  I got her through one gate and a dang wasp bit me and I am highly allergic to wasps.  So with Jazzy acting up - wanting to rear - just being very naughty I knew it would take time to get her from Egypt to the Barn.

I took off the lead rope and walked back to the barn from Egypt without her and got some benedryl in my system and then had to walk back to Egypt to get her.  She was trying to spin around me, rear up, etc.

My trainer shows up and I end up having my trainer work with me through this naughty stage.  Jazzy did everything but rear up on me - she did the "I am going backwards at a high rate of speed because seriously I don't want to go forward"  She kicked out - threw some bucks.

The good news is that I never got scared but then again my trainer was right there helping me out.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2013
    Options

Still reading and loving all your posts. They are such beautiful animals with minds of their own!  I LOVE reading about Jazzy, fresh girl that she can be, I bet she gives you more moments of joy than aggravation, jancie.

Saw Cavalia Odysseo last week - what a wonderful show, and you can tell the horses are well loved and well cared for.

• chele
    edited September 2013
    Options

Sorry I haven't been here sooner!

Wow, Jazzy really .... um..... expresses herself. Not sure what I would do if Blue acted out like that.

I din't really remember a lot (of anytning really) that she said. My biggest concern was why did Snip buck. She said he was having pain, indicating pain in his oll and face. That fit with what I suspected.

It's been too hot to ride in the evenings. I haven't been ambitious enough to get up early. This week is supposed to cool off some. I need tonride, I have a barrel race coming up on the 24th.

• jancie
    edited September 2013
    Options

Chele - how are you doing?  Are you practicing for tomorrow?

Jazzy got high point award for training level at the Annual Utah Dressage Society show - I had no idea until I got a $50 gift certificate to a local tack shop.  Even my trainer was surprised.  I guess I am not good at keeping up with what everyone else is doing because it only matters to me how I am getting along with my horse.  I am not competitive by nature - I just enjoy seeing us progress as the years go by.

Today was difficult.  Right when I got on her - someone let a mare out in the pasture not realizing there was a gelding out there also.  Next thing you know you have two horses running at a full gallop up and down the fence line and of course Jazzy got "high" from that commotion.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stick on her or not but it all worked out in the end.

Since I have really worked on my physical strength my riding has improved, my body position, etc.  I have so much more stability in the saddle when Jazzy decides that she is going to be a brat.

• jancie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Things continue to change....

I am working 30 hours a month at the facility where Jazzy is cleaning poop out of the outdoor pens.  That job will stop as soon as the snow hits but for now it is reducing my board in half.

I just got a job that I start tomorrow.  I am a groom at this high fluting facility.  You know the rich owners that want to show up and have their horse ready for them - they ride -  you take the horse back from them and put them away.....well that is this type of facility and it is beautiful.  Heated barn heated arena, etc.

The great thing is that the job will cover not only my board but my training fees each month so now I don't have to rely on my dh so much.

I could never afford to put my horse at this place but then again Jazzy is so happy where she is that I wouldn't want to move her anyways.

I work 24 hours a week which gives me time to ride Jazzy either before or after work.

• karody
    karody Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi ladies!  I just found this thread.  It is fun to see pics of all the different horse disciplines.  I am a barrel racer and I rodeo.  Getting back to competing has been my motivation all the way through.  When I figure out how to post a pic I will do so.

• cowgal
    edited October 2013
    Options

Welcome karody! 

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited October 2013
    Options

Wecome, Karody. I'm looking forward to your pictures!

• cowgirl13
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, Jancie. I would love to work 24 hrs a week. Would be just perfect.

• cowgirl13
    edited October 2013
    Options

Chele, I'm responding to your post from August re: no longer having/riding cutters and now riding a retired ranch horse....I too love those gorgeous cutters but I truly feel there is nothing finer than a ranch horse. They are worth their weight in gold. I just won Reserve Western Champion on my friend's ranch horse. He is a half Belgian/Mustang cross. He's a hell of a rope horse for his owner and we also just won the Cowboy Dressage Hi Point trophy. All this and I don't own a horse. I am so lucky.

• jancie
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thought I would post an update on my job. I have now been there 4 weeks. The first week was rough as I was trying to get used to the different horses - knowing where they were in turn out and where in the barn they went (east or west end).

There is a hunter/jumper trainer there that would have me believe I only work for her but......I always find time to talk to the other trainers and their clients, etc.

I have figured out the "high maintenance versus low maintenance" clients and that has helped a lot.

I still love my job - I feel like I am being more efficient as time goes on and I have been able to do 4 catch rides already and doing a 5th one tomorrow. I get paid extra if I ride the horses. However, it is up to the client to ask me and they get charged $25 if I ride their horse - I don't get paid the entire amount - I think somewhere around 35% but that is extra on top of my hourly wage.

Most of the horses have great ground manners, however we do have a thoroughbred gelding that is out of control and the owners are beginner riders who have no clue as to what they are doing and the wife doesn't want anybody telling her what to do so it is a lose lose situation for the horse. I try my best with him but he has a very small circle of trust and the owners come in one weekend every month so he is neglected most of the time. I would love to work with him more but I just don't have the time to do "extra" things right now unless I do it on my own personal time.

I have lost 11 lbs already but mainly my body is looking so much better especially my arms which were looking really fat before.

bottom line - I love my job and so glad I have it!!!

Hope everyone is doing well with their horses!

• jancie
    edited December 2013
    Options

Just an update on Jazzy.... She has been so good the past 10 days. I can now just give her the reins and she will stay round and keep the same tempo - all I am using is seat and legs and she is so much happier.

So with everything just going awesome (I don't know it could get better) I went to the barn yesterday to ride her.

First off she is always wanting to be the first one in when they bringing the horses in. She will stand right at the gate and demand she get brought in first.

She stayed away from the gate and ended up being the last one out and just had no desire to come in so that was a sign to me that she wasn't quite her sweet self. Of course when I went to the gate she came to me immediately without hesitating.

Groomed her, got the tack on - went to ride and she was wired to the max. I could feel the explosion feeling in her body and after attempting to get her to focus by putting her to work immediately - which didn't work at all but normally would.....I took the tack off of her and let her run free in the indoor arena.

I think that is what she needed. With the snow and icy conditions in the turn out areas none of the horses can run - they choose not to because they are smart enough to know they can't keep their footing.

Jazzy ran and ran and ran and I just let her. Eventually she stopped and started following me all over the arena like a puppy dog. Just happy to be beside me walking around in no particular direction but if I stopped, she stopped. When I walked forward - she was right there by my side.

I know the winters have to be tough on the horses that are used to grazing in the pasture all summer long and no....I wasn't upset with her. I think we have such a strong bond because I do listen to her - I know what she wants and what she needs and she is so greatful that I do this for her.

No doubt on Monday we will have another one of those awesome rides again.

I guess I am sharing this because as horse owners we need to really listen to our horses - they do communicate to us their wants and needs. Listen to them and they in turn listen to us and try to please us.

• cowgirl13
    edited December 2013
    Options

Loved hearing about this.  They sometimes just need to be a horse and how wonderful you listened to her.

• chele
    edited January 2014
    Options

Wow, I don't know why I haven't been back to this thread in so long!

Cowgirl13 you are so right!  A good ranch horse is a pure gold!  Congrats on your win!

jancie, sounds like you and Jazzie are a good match, you seem to understand her so well! 

My barrel racing year came to an end - finally!  I ended up with points in the 2D, 3D, and 4D which messed me up for any year end award.  I think I ended up 3rd in the 3D.  I'm thinking I probably won't barrel race this summer.  My cancer is progressing so I'm not sure what impact that will have on my riding.  I've always LOVED dressage, so I think I will concentrate more on Cowboy Dressage, doubt I'll ever show, but it will give me something to work towards.  I will probably still show in the High Plains Horse Show in the Ranch Horse events.  I've got my eye on the buckle! 

It's been alternating between extreme winter and spring here (pretty much normal Kansas weather) so I've only been riding about once a week.  I'm a fair weather rider, not about to freeze my buns off to ride. 

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2014
    Options

Chele, you go get that Ranch Horse buckle!!!

Here's a link on Cowboy Dressage - I'm sure you have heard of Etan B.H.  http://www.cowboydressage.com/menu.html

He will be presenting at a clinic in Kansas--

Liz

• cowgal
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yes, Cowgirl13, I saw that Etan B.H. will be at Kansas Equifest February 14-16th.  I would love to start on Cowboy Dressage with my 11 year old gelding.

It's nice to hear that everyone is doing well with their horses.  2013 was a tough riding year for me as the side effects from the aromatase inhibitors have basically left me crippled to the point that even with the small ladder I was using, it is too painful to mount, dismount and ride.  I have not been in the saddle except once since last April and that was for a short period on my 18 year old gelding that is retired and hadn't been ridden for quite a while but I knew he would behave like a champ for me while our nephew rode our 14 year old gelding.  I have 18 and a half months and then I will be off the aromatase inhibitors.  I also had my knees xrayed and I have arthritis in both of them, which isn't probably making the joint pain from the AI any better.

Our 33 year old mare died last Sunday.  She would have been 34 in March so she had a long good life.  Our three geldings are still in a little bit of shock it would seem.  I have to take my 18 year old gelding to a horse specialist Monday to get a second opinion.  The first vet thinks that he has navicular in one of his rear legs. 

I hope that 2014 is a good year for all of us and that we all improve/maintain good health and that we all have many happy trails ahead this year.  Happy

• Barncat
    Barncat Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi everyone....I think this is the place for me on this site! I'm over 4 months out from my double mastectomy. I'm BRCA2 so I went for the full meal deal with the double. I went directly to implant with gummy bear implants.  I've had spitting stitches, an incision open up, 7 days in hospital for an infection, followed up with 6 weeeks of IV antibiotics. I'm finally thinking I might actually be on the healing side of all this now. I MISS MY HORSE!!  My friends looked after him while I was healing then I had to take him to his winter boarding stable early as I was still having problems. I haven't been on his back since August, just a few little visits. He looks at me like "where have you been? ". We were a pretty talented Ranch Sorting team before all the breast cancer found me. I've come so far in healing that I don't want to do any more damage by riding too soon. Still have a recurring infection risk and still packing a lot of fluid on the right side.  

I'm very lucky that I know my little cow pony will still be the good boy that he is when I can finally ride again.  Here's a pic of my sweet furry boy I took yesterday as I stopped in to visit him as I was on my way to the airport to fly out to an appointment with my Plastic Surgeon today. 

Hope ya'll like him!

Cathy and Senator

• chele
    edited January 2014
    Options

I hadn't heard he'd be at Equifest Cowgirl13!  My riding buddy and I have talked about going for the past couple years.  Maybe this WILL be the year.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your mare Cowgal.  It's a shame you haven't been able to ride.  Which AI are you on?

He's adorable barncat!  I was afraid I would have all the issues you're having so I wimped-out of reconsruction.  Bra free for me :)

• cowgal
    edited January 2014
    Options

Barncat - welcome and I have to say your horse looks like a pretty nice fella.  I definitely like him. :)

Chele - you definitely need to go to Equifest.  I've been many times and really enjoyed it.  Here's a link to the site and it has all the schedules and everything:  http://www.equifestofks.com/  .  As for the AIs, I've been on them all.  I started on tamoxifen but due to what it caused, I had to switch to AIs and have an oopherectomy.  I then went on Arimidex and within being on it for two months, I had been doing walk jog intervals and at that point, I was nolonger able to jog and the pain has only progressed and mobility decreased.  I continued on it but last February my MO switched me to Aromasin to see how I would do with that.  Nothing improved and I think my memory was not very good on it.  I was switched again in October to Femara and I still have the bad joint pain but I got a new MO (my old one retired) and he has added some more medication to help with the side effects and I am doing better but still pretty crippled up.  He is begging me to make it the rest of the 18 1/2 months I have left taking these pills as he thinks that the benefit is so important but he sees how hard on my body these drugs have been.  

I did not get very good news on my 18 year old gelding on Monday.  He has a severe bone spur on the navicular, sawtoothed at the bottom of the navicular and a bone spur on his coffin bone.  I have had him his whole life.  The mare that just died was his momma.  I asked the vet if he thought that the problems in the gelding's leg was from the injury he suffered in 2003 from a tornado and he said that he could not say for sure but that he bet that it was a result of that.  I'll do what I can to try to keep him around.