Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited March 2013

Ok I'm going up to get measured for a night garment today - Looks like the Jovi-pak probably - An angel of mercy is going to help me pay for it.. Is there anything I need to know about it or is there any other ones I should be looking at??? Just PM me please - I would love to hear your opinions.

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2013

I just noticed something in the pattern of my Juzo black and purple tie-dye sleeve.

It looks like a skull! Yeah, heavy metal lymphedema gear!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited April 2013

I have had no luck with my new jovipak sleeve. It gave me a blister on my finger that took weeks to heal. Last night was the first night I tried it again and I had a blister again this morning. Looks like it will have to go back to get the hand cut off. I guess I will be forever wrapping my fingers and hand :(. The we glove went back because it turned my fingers purple, and I am not sure the new day time sleeve is working either. It's te same glove and sleeve as the last time six months ago. I don't know what all the problems are from :(

At least there was plenty of chocolate today. :)

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2013

Kay

I'm so sorry- how frustrating!  (grrrr!)

Please tell us what DAY time gloves you have tried .

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited April 2013

If you all want to know where I have been, please PM me, I'm leaving the boards for a bit.

• Kay_G
    edited April 2013

GMA, did I miss something?

The day time sleeve is a Jobst. It's the same one as the two previous ones I've had. The LE therapist likes it the best, but I may get something different as an additional glove to have. I don't know why I am getting the blisters from the jovipak. The LE therapist looked for something inside that would cause it,but couldn't find anything.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

OK Kay

I thought you were having issues more with the glove pc.

Wondered if you had ever tried a Farrow for  example ?

• Kay_G
    edited April 2013

Not sure what the farrow is, but I know I haven't tried it. I do think I have a higher stage LE. The PT likes the weave and fabric of the Jobst, and it has worked in the past, but I think we both think it's time to try something else. Is the farrow a custom glove? I am going back to send the jovipak back and pick up the altered glove soon and am going to get him to order another sleeve so I'll have an extra one. I'll ask about the farrow.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Kay

The Farrow is a very lightweight glove. It is NOT custom. The BLACK one ( which runs small) looks very fashionable and feels/looks almost like a bike shorts material when you try it on.  I am not sure if  it would be enough compression for you.  It is difficult to return this glove which costs app. $86.00.

I am certain you can find it at

www.brighlifedirect.com

under Farrow glove in the searchbox.

Having said that, a few of us LOVE our OTC IMAK ACTIVE gloves!  While I would *strongly caution you that these are NOT medically correct.  I am just thinking  for $20 you might just want to try a pair to have as a spare and to check out.  You could show them to your LEist.  I know some who are beyond mild LE are also compression sensitive so you never know- perhaps one of these would actually help.  Of course, you and your LEist would know best. I am learning though that all of this is trial and error- which is scary!  At the moment, I am wearing my IMAK ACTIVE instead of the Farrow Rx ,most days!

IF you decide to try the IMAK , look at www.amazon.com and search IMAK ACTIVE arthritis glove.  It seems to be preferred ( by me and a few others ) over the ' regular' which does not list as ACTIVE.

Good Luck!

*buyer beware

• Kay_G
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the info. I will bring both of those up with him. I do have a couple of OTC gloves which he gave me at different times to try which work for me, but I have to put a pad inside the glove. I actually use the higher compression glove and sleeve, not sure OTC gloves come in that, but I was talking to him about going back and trying the lower compression again instead. I have some old ones that still work well that are the lower compression. This is a great thread with great info.

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited April 2013

I'm having problems with custom garment measurements.  

In August 2013, I had a custom Juzo soft sleeve and custom Juzo expert glove made. Both fit well.  

In February, I reordered the same garments using the same measurements, and the sleeve came back 3.5 cm SHORTER and stouter looking than the (supposedly identical) sleeve I got in August.  I was measured for garments again in midMarch.  For the sleeve, my fitter used exactly the same length measurement that I have always used for my custom Juzo soft sleeves (8 or 9 sleeves over the course of 3 years).  I just got this sleeve today and, just like the February sleeve, this new sleeve is 3.5 cm shorter than any of my pre-February 2013 sleeves.  

I am also having trouble with Juzo's recent glove measurements.  My February 2013 glove's fingers seemed somewhat shorter and looser than the (supposedly identical) glove from August 2012, but the length of the wrist portion was the same as in August (and previous Juzo gloves).  The fingers of the glove I just received seem a tad too loose, but this could just be daily fluctuations.  However, the wrist portion is grossly too long:  it was supposed to  be 1 cm longer than my Aug/Feb glove, but it is closer to 4 cm longer.

Has anyone else had recent trouble with measurements of Juzo's custom garments -- particularly length measurements--being grossly inconsistent with previous measurements?  KS1

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2013

KS, no custom here, but recently I ordered two identical Juzo OTS sleeves. These are the same sleeve I've been wearing for months. On arrival, I noticed that the size labels were identical, but one sleeve was visibly wider and longer than the other. I returned it and am told by Brightlife that the replacement is on backorder. My inner suspicious self thinks Juzo may be having some quality control problems of late. To have to backorder a standard OTS sleeve makes me think they're in short supply for a reason. Your experience with Juzo sounds familiar, too. Did someone else recently post a similar problem with custom Juzo garments?

I really like the Juzo product and hope they fix whatever's not working for them lately.

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited April 2013

Hi Carol ... I may have been the person you remember as having a problem with discrepant length measurements on a Juzo sleeve as I posted my experience back when I got the first short sleeve in February.  I ended up keeping the sleeve because it seemed to stretch out to be long enough when I wore it.  In retrospect, I think keeping it was a mistake.  When I first put it on, it is long enough, but over the course of the day it slips down.  

I plan on returning the short sleeve I just received.  What I am trying to figure out is how long to tell them to remake it.  A 45 cm long Juzo soft sleeve has fit perfectly for 3 years, and I fear if I suddenly order a 48 cm long one simply to compensate for whatever is going on, Juzo will fix the problem and I will have a monstrously long custom sleeve.  

I am a bit frustrated.   I expect problems with glove measurements ... it's hard to measure the lengths and circumferences of hands and fingers, and manufacturing to the mm precision has got to be rough.  But frankly, I don't get how they can mess us the length of a sleeve so very much.  

Speaking of gloves, I've been wearing my brand new Juzo expert glove all day, and so far it seems ok despite the long wrist.  Interestingly the finish quality of this Juzo glove is much better than the finish quality of the expert gloves I got in September or February (which arrived with many loose threads and seemed to wear out quickly).

I'm with you Carol ... I think Juzo makes a great product and am a bit dismayed by the variance of late.  Does anyone have contact info for someone at Juzo manufacturing that I could talk to?  KS1

• purple32
    edited April 2013

KS1

I refused 2 custom gloves so I have been fortunate with OTS.  I must say though-  " If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I think you are articulate enough to tell them you want a 45 cm. custom Juzo soft and you do expect it will be 45 cm!

Having said that. I confess I got a little frustrated myself trying to look for a contact # and hope someone else has one.

I am wondering if this " custonm  order' from will help you at all:
    http://www.juzousa.com/dealer/toolbox/custforms.html

There is also a " contact us" button on that site.

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

My PT once gave me treatment for a frozen shoulder with a little instrument that gives short pulses on the sore spots of the muscles. Here it's called "TENSE". It runs on batteries. I bought the gadget - preLE. If anyone knows it, do you also know if it is safe to use on the shoulder of the same hand that has LE? (My shoulder is bothering me but now I am scared it may affect the LE) So waiting to hear more information from one of you...

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Hi Dassi

I also have  a TENS machine!

Sorry to say that I do NOT know , but hope you get an answer soon.  I Had broken that shoulder and tore the R cuff prior to the LE

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2013

I do not know the answer either but remember a PT person using something like that years ago when I messed up my sciatica....it worked then

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited April 2013

Purple, OHHH... I know that torn rotator cuff to well. Its been 25 years and I still remember the pain well !SurprisedIt took me 15 more years just to pick throw a ball overhead. I still am careful.

I did Tens but not on LE arm.  It was very mild and the only thing I am concerned about is that it may increase circulation and  bring blood tothe area like a massage. Not sure if that is good or not.What a good question though.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

OK, I just visited the LympheDIVA site . I am there on the front page scroll.
    I am in the gorgeous 'peacock feather style " sleeve checking out a sequins dress in a trendy and friendly boutique ... This was such fun!
    http://www.lymphedivas.com/

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited April 2013

Gorgeous photo! You have a great smile!

Phyllis

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

Great second career, Purple! Very nice. I like the sleeves too, and if I needed one every day, i'd be sorely tempted to buy them all. I like the idea that they used real users as opposed to professional models.

Since nobody so far knows anything about the TENS and its effect on LE, is there any real expert who could shed light on the matter? Who should I try to contact? 

• kira
    kira Member Posts: 659
    edited April 2013

Dassi, I'm no expert, but I did just attend a conference on upper extremity rehab, and hopefully relearned what I should have known about rotator cuff and frozen shoulder.

A TENS just shoots electrical pulses and makes the muscle jump. I see no reason, other than if it causes pain, that you can't use it upstream from your LE hand.

I broke my LE hand a couple of years ago, and got a partially frozen shoulder due to immobilization: I was treated for it by PT with myofascial release and exercises, and no negative effects on my LE hand/forearm. Now the fracture did me no favors, but that's another story, and it seems back to baseline.

My daughter bought one of those home TENS and I helped her try it out the other day, and I can't see the harm, other than reaction to adhesive for the pads.

I say, no expert here, try it and see if it helps, and if it makes the LE flare. It's easily enough to try and observe and see what benefits and/or draw backs you get.

Kira

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

Thank you, Kira. I knew I could count on you or Binney. You ladies are so knowledgeable. I actually wish I could sometimes use it closer to the hand when carpal issues crop up, but that I don't dare. The PT who treated me at the time for the frozen shoulder, was great. She actually had me check with the onc first if she could use the TENS on me, just to make sure. She also told me that it helps with knees as well when they hurt. Truthfully, I barely used mine, and after the LE diagnosis I was too wary and certainly to wrapped up (literally as wellFoot in Mouth) in the LE issues to even think of that machine. 

I don't know how you managed with a broken LE hand. How could you wrap / use a sleeve/ glove? And if you didn't, how did that affect the LE? My shoulder function never went back 100%, but I was told that might be due to age. I had a frozen shoulder on the other side 10 years earlier and that healed fine and I got full range again on the left. 

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Thanks phyllis and dassi- it sure was fun!

The other 2 ladies at my photo shoot were not pros, but they did not have LE either.

• Kay_G
    edited April 2013

I had to add my comment too, love the photo Purple!

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Thanks so much, Kay! Laughing

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2013

LOVE the photo PURPLE32 - GREAT MODEL, girl...

• purple32
    edited April 2013

THX Denise !  You ladies are so sweet  :>)

Too funny, proud -  how about I get it to you at my book signing?! LOLLaughing

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2013

you do know we can all say we knew purple BEFORE she was a big time model!

can we get an autograph from you? just in case.....

• purple32
    edited April 2013

LIKE ME?

OKay, prove it on facebook...I'm in the peacock sleeve!
    https://www.facebook.com/LympheDIVAs