Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited March 2013

I (finally) got an appointment with my DME's fitter.  I'm not sure how experienced he is, so I figured I would tap the group's collective wisdom about Juzo products before the fitting.  

The glove that works best for me these days is a beige CUSTOM Juzo 1 expert glove.  I need a smidge more compressiion than the class Juzo I provides, but have difficulty moving my hand in the class II. 

1)  Many have said that black garments are tighter ... would a black glove in class I give me a bit more compression than a beige class I?

2) According to the (faded) label, my class I expert Juzo glove is 66% polyamid, 15% Elasthan, 19& Viskose.  I hear there is a 4 material version glove.   Is the 4 material Juzo glove the Juzo strong?  Or is the 4 material Juzo, the Juzo Dyamic/Varin (which doesn't seem to be a glove option)?

3)  I also have had a Juzo expert Silver glove (6 lines of materials ... label too faded to read).  I found that the sliver class I provided less compression and stretched out more over the course of the day  than the regular (3 material) Juzo class I expert.  Compared to the 3 material Juzo expet, how is the compression and stretching-out-ness of the following:

a) 4 material Juzo glove (if it exists)

b) Juzo strong glove

c) Juzo expert with cotton glove

4) What's people's verdict on the compression provided by the Juzo "cool vent"glove?  Does it provide less compression?  

Thanks, KS1

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2013

Hugz,

I wear only a glove. The sleeve I wore twice for a transatlantic flight.. My LE is in my fingers and palm /hand mostly near the base of the fingers. I can be very bad about wearing the glove, because either I can't take it after wearing 6-7 hours staright to work or because I find it very unpleasant to do kitchen or housework with. I put a cotton glove and then a vynil or rubber glove on top. The result is still a calmmy glove, and it gets difficult to move my fingers freely with all those layers. My LPT said the sky won't fall in if I take it off for an hour or two, but honestly, I definitely take it off more, when busy with cleaning. 

So how does it feel? It's more swollen but not terrible. What I do have and find very unpleasant is lack of normal sensitivity in my fingertips - with or without gloves. They feel slightly numb, and it is very irritating. Besides my left non LE hand which was always skinnier in the fingers, is now bigger too. The other day I had a hard time getting rings on or off.  

I have not seen any lymph fluid move to my wrist, and I certainly hope it stays that way. It might be different by me because the whole LE started after an orthopedic nitwit had my wrist bandaged. That''s when the fluid got stuck in my hand and therefore the arm was never affected. I guess each of us reacts differently and what may happen to someone else (fluid moving upwards) doesn't happen by me. Who knows? If you have had swelling in your arm, I wouldn't risk it. Maybe for a short period it's OK.

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

IMAK - I finally sat down to order the Imak active gloves but it says "Active Arthritis with grippers".

Is that the one I need? PLEASE respond ASAP.

Tomorrow i got to call Nancy at Brightlife. My new farrow that I trimmed a bit, is unraveling at the fingertips! The old one is fine. The seam actually opened up on some of the fingers. that is not supposed to happen. Does anyone have a similar experience?

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2013

Dassi, my farrow opened up a couple stitches when I trimmed but they have stayed put.

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

Thanks for the info on the Farrow, Hugz. I guess I will have to see if the rest of the fingers stays sufficiently closed. 

Still waitibg to hear about IMAK - anyone???  Just confirm that the one I described above is the right one to order. Please....

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited March 2013

Yes dassi- POSITIVE...that is the IMAK Victoria has suggested.  I too bought that version ( after getting the ' regulars ')

As for the farrows, I have one I trimmed very very little.  GREAT!
    However, I think I trimmed 2 fingers of the first pr. a tad too much- slight 'spit/unravel' there. 

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

Purple, thank you. Going to order as soon as I finish this entry. Re Farrow - I didn't trim much at all. On my first Farrow I trimmed more, and nothing unraveled even though I have been much harder on it, so I think it is not made as well. I will talk to Nancy in any case. Just didn't have a minute time.

Today I was better and wore my glove most of the time. Fingertips get number as the day goes on. Maybe numb is not the correct word to describe. It isn't tingling either but it feels like it's not my body. 

If anyone is bored, she could probably put together the many tips that appear in this forum as well as some other LE forums into a pdf or something easy to read as a suplement to SUSO. Anyone interested? I really think it would be great, but I honestly don't have time to do anything about it. 

• purple32
    edited March 2013

If anyone is bored...

I doubt anybody here is bored, but soembody just might be ambitious enough! Innocent  It's a good idea.

I am wondering about those numb fingers.  I will say that the  finger on the farrow that I cut too short is a little ' tighter ' feeling and now and then that finger feels a bit numb now and then .  It makes me wonder if your farrow would have been better for you had you not cut it at all - or , is it possible it is too small  or ?

(Grrrrr!)

Let us know what Nancy says.

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited March 2013

I have random numbness of fingers, hands, toes and feet.  Doesn't seem to be related to the lymphgear at all.  At first I blamed my glove, but then I realized it was both mobile and at random times. So I quit beating up on Juzo.  We did a brain MRI and found nothing, so we are just waiting to see what happens.  I love getting old... but it does beat the alternatives...

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Cindyl, numbness in extremities can be from diabetes but I think you have to have it pretty bad to go numb. I get tingly feet which is pre diabetic signal. Yah... Another reason that I am exercising and watching weight. Does it ever end? Just hand me the duct tape for my mouth so I won't over indulge in the goodies. Stirfry tonight...again.. uggh. No sauces, little chicken and lots of veg.

• Cindyl
    edited March 2013

My blood sugar is disgustingly good.  Laughing The doctors all do the blood work and look at me with suspicion as if they think I snuck a tube in to throw them off track...  But yeah definitly trying to lose weight, watching the sodium all that stuff.

They know what I don't have, but don't seem to be able to come up with a real idea what is going on.  Undecided

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

Update on the Farrow that started unraveling at the seams of the fingers - I spoke to Nancy at Brightlife and she recommended to call Melissa at Farrow med. Melissa wasn't in, and they didn't know when she would come in so they passed me on to Victor who was very helpful. He heard my story and said he would take care of a replacement for me at Brightlife, and I am to send back my defective one when I receive the replacement. in the meantime I took some pics of the problems and sent them to Victor. Was really pleased with their attitude. They had no problems acknowledging something was wrong, which was clear as my first Farrow had no issues at all after trimming. I didn't have to convince them etc. A+ for service.

While talking to him, I asked him how to get the glove clean because it really doesn't in a handwash. he said it is OK to wash them in the machine, gentle cycle. Best within a pillowcase so it's protected. On my machine I have a 15 min cycle that is really gentle and has low spin, so that'w where my gloves are going from now on. Isn't that good news, especially for those of us who can't get a black glove!

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited March 2013

Dassi, I had the same idea about aggregating all the tips about gloves, but have yet to move forward. I did wonder if we made a collaborative file in Google Docs, poeple could add and annotate it themselves, which would make it more of a living document type of thing. 

Just an idea. 

Victoria, are you the Medahand user? I'm trying to remember. If you wear a medium. send me a PM and I'll send you a very lightly used Medahand--sadly it made my fingers swell. 

Which brings me to another idea. I wish we could figure out how to have a glove/sleeve online yardsale/freecycle group. I have Several items that didn't work out for me, but that doesn't meant that somebody else couldn't use them. Hate to waste perfectly good products...

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

Hildy, google docs sounds good. But I think that at first one person should compile, preferably with an index or search function. If it's open to anyone, it'll never get organized as people won't necessarily bother to see if what they want to write in, is there. To keep it up on a regular basis, is  really a fulltime job, like a moderator.

Numbness in finger tips- I mentioned it to my OT who treats my hand, and she says that it could be caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Now for those who use arimidex or anastrazole, there is a link between drug use and carpal tunnel among many other SEs. Or it could be a result of chemo, but in my case, it has been more than 5 years, so I doubt it's chemo. Got to check this out eventually with my onc before I see an orthopedic surgeon. Or maybe check with my regular MD who is very good. Re numbness in other parts of the body, I don't know and didn't ask.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

The numbness could also signify Raynauds.

As for the compilation, I too think it should be one person.  Perhaps I should do it, since I began the thread.  Then, I think maybe it should be ' put out there ' to all, to see if anything has been missed.  You'll have to give me some time .

OK, speaking of time ...... I have no time at all to be  on here / rushing for work, but I had the most exciting day yesterday so I just had to post.

I was at Lymphedivas all day paticipating in a  photo shoot for their Spring catalogue.  Yes I was !!!!!!
    With all the pictures taken , I have just one regret.  Why didnt I get a photo of me with Josh? !  DOH! Surprised

Well, now he will just have to invite me back!

It was a fabulous day and the Diva HQ's  is an amazing space. The ppl. are so warm, and Josh is just as you might imagine- and such a gentleman .  I also met his dad, the DR. and many of the staff.The place is so impressive.

And I have to say, although I was doing a  shoot for  LE products, my mind was on LE less than it has been in a  long time.  Sometimes just some fum and excitement is the best therapy!

Wait until you all see the  beautiful sleeves Diva has  coming out, and they are hard at work on 'perfecting' the glove.  Don't forget, they have ' length' choices now , if you had trouble with fitting before-  now comes in short...

OK, ask me anything at all later , but the clock is ticking- MUST keep my job!

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Purple. Oh my..... What.... a experience!Cool

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Dassi, You just reminded of my two numb fingers on my le hand, 4th and pinky. Had a MRI last May and eventually found out it was a c7 disc in the neck degenerating( another body part going down the drain!). Since I had chiropractic, it has improved but when my neck is misbehaving, low and behold if those fingers don't go numb and tingle. I thought it was carpal but the test came out negative. So often our neck problems can come down our arms and ino our fingers.  

Yup raynauds can make you numb too.

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

That photoshoot sounds really great. How will we know which pic is your arm, Purple, when the catalog comes out? Will they have it online as well? I didn't know they were working on a glove. 

Hugz - how horrible to find out about your neck disc. At least chiropractice can help. What kind of test do you do to rule out carpal? This is my LE hand, so I am very cautious about any testing on that side. I looked up Raynauds, as I didn't know exactly what it was. I understood it is pretty rare, and the way it is described, I doubt I have that. But I'll wait for a visit to the MD to find out more. I actually know someone who has neuropaty in both hands, due to chemo. She has difficulty buttoning etc and is about to get OT to help her deal with all these issues. As I daid, I doubt mine is caused by chemo, because so much time has passed.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

How will we know which pic is your arm, Purple, when the catalog comes out?

Wont just be my arm dassi!  I will be sure to let all of you know.  It was loads of fun ...they had outfits for us and we  had a  breakfast buffet, luncheon, yadyadyad- everyone was down to earth and easy to talk to .  I am posing in a boutique looking at a sparking dress, and also inside of a little strip mall w/ the ' starry night' sleeve on  and in more pics with a pink and grey sleeveless top- not sure which photos will be used, but you ladies will be the first to know !

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Dassi. I can't remember which test the nuerologist did for the carpal tunnel but I specifically told him no needles or bp. It may have been electrodes.  I didn't think Raynauds was that rare. I had it mildly. Believe it or not chemopause cured it.  I use to wear ski jackets in the summer at night and watch my fingers go numb and blue.  Not anymore.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited March 2013

purple , congrats on your new modeling career! sounds like you had a good time

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Thanks, proud!

I really wouldnt call it  a career, but I did have  a great time!

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited March 2013

Purple, that's terrific, sounds like so much fun! Are you sworn to secrecy or can you tell us about the new designs?

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Nobody  said to hush!

They are awesome designs. 

One was hand painted by a girl who works there.  It's a sort of a natural or lt beige with  'painted' flowers on it.   Super for a  real springtime look.

I LOVED the one I wore called starry night  that has different swirls of blue with hints of greenish yellow.  (Think Van Gogh) It would look good with lots of things, but I would have it be a "go to" sleeve for blue jeans and a T .  Really sharp!

I also wore a lighter blue sleeve that is super light with white in it.  Very, very pretty - has some ' diamond  ' type designs or cut glass look.  Wow- hard to describe! I believe it was called BLING.

I  also wore a  peacock feather design sleeve.  ...just what you would expect!  VERY cool.

Of course each one had matching gauntlets, which was very neat for me because I am used to wearing a  glove. It was really neat to see all the equipment used there and big posters on the wall of models with different sleeves.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited March 2013

so it sounds like we all need to check out the Spring catalog~

I do not wear sleeves but sure will check it out as then I can tell folks I know the model~

• Cindyl
    edited March 2013

Sound like fun purple!

I broke down and ordered a couple of lymphedeva sleeves, cause i love the look of them but they just don't fit me well.  The top band is too pliable and rolls on me.  Anybody ever try the

or

to flatten a sleeve?

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Yes, proud , you can  :>)

It was great fun, Cindy.  I wonder if  you did not have the correct size .  Odd .  Or perhaps one of those products would help.

I dunno'

• Cindyl
    edited March 2013

Well I emailed and had customer service go over my measurements and ordered what they recomennded. Sadly the ugly beige Juzo sleeve works fine.  I'm tempted to see if I can make a cuff to put over the top of the sleeve.  grrr

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2013

Cindy, lots of lymphers use "It Stays" to keep their garment tops in place. Several women here have had problems with the Divas top band, so I doubt it's a sizing issue. Bummer!Frown Make sure if you try out the It Stays or the Flash Tape that you try it first on an area that isn't affected by LE, just to be sure you don't have a skin reaction to it.

As for making a cuff to putover the top of the sleeve, that sure could be problematical, because the top needs to be looser that the cuff (gradient compression). If you make something, be sure to check out the fit with your LE therapist.

Let us know what you try, and how it works!
    Binney

• Cindyl
    edited March 2013

If I make a cuff it'd be something along the lines of a garter

It doesn't need to hold the sleeve up, it stays up just fine.  It just needs to keep it flat... so I'm thinking it could be relatively loose. But yeah, I'd run it past my let to make sure it isn't too much compression.

Sigh.  If it's not one damn thing it's another.

I've told Josh I'll send him pictures, we'll see if he has any ideas.