Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited April 2013

Now if we can just get Purple with her sleeve on " teen magazine" then we can get the teens to start a sleeve/gauntlet fad. Soon everyone will be wearing them and we won't be the odd man out.

Actually I visited a 19 yr old girl (that dresses a bit gothic) in the hospital and she asked me about my sleeve. I said, It's a medical thing and she replied "oh it looks so cool!" Someone else on these boards expressed the same thing coming from a teens mouth. I can't figure it out. Beige sleeves and gloves are not cool looking no matter which way you cut it! However maybe Purple is going to change that with her proud as a peacock look!

I ordered the wave sleeve set from lymphedivas, It maybe a tad big in the wrist but if I go down a size the upper arm may be small. JOSH if your reading how about MAX sizes. After all most of us girls arms do get unfortunately bigger in the end.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2013

Soon everyone will be wearing them and we won't be the odd man out.

You are hysterical, hugz!

My sister ( trying to make me feel good) said how pretty the peacock sleeve was. She raved on and on about how  she really wouldnt mind  wearing one.

FINALLY, I said : " Shall I order  for you ?! My treat!"  She shut right up.  Of course, we are sisters and have our own little banter-rapport. I knew what she meant and meant well --- and she understood where I was coming from too.

But I have had ppl comment on my IMAK gloves - that they like them....  but alas, that was winter !

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited April 2013

Purple~you are beautiful.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Thanks Marple , but I am sure they did a lot of editing Surprised

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited April 2013

A couple of years back, my daughter went to a Bat Mitzvah where the "give away" present was a sleeve/gauntlet in various animal prints (not beige!).  She is an artist, and to keep her hands clean when she works with charcoal, she wears gauntlets that she makes by cutting the toe off old black socks and cutting a hole for her thumb.    

• purple32
    edited April 2013

OK, I understand why we cannot wear our compression sleeves at night, but why could I wear my farrow ( OR an Isotoner ?) to bed ?  Would it hurt ?  My fingers swell overnight.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited April 2013

Purple, a glove is not going to twist or bunch up and produce a tourniquet effect while you're asleep like a sleeve can. I occasionally wear my daytime Gottfried glove to bed with my Circaid (night) sleeve if I'm having trouble controlling a slight flare. (If it's a bad flare I wrap, period!Tongue Out) Hands are also at the distal end (farthest from the axilla, where the LE trouble originated), so additional pressure there doesn't have the same effect as adding too much compression further upstream (anywhere on the arm), where it can block the flow and cause swelling below.

Hope that made sense. It's still early here...Undecided
    Binney

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2013

I know it is not the same but when my carple tunnel is messing I wear the wrist brace to bed, same arm as the LE

Oh yeah, my sweet trainer is going to send me a link for a survey of BC survivors and how they feel about exercise after treatment.  He is working on his PHD.  I asked if he wanted more responders as I was sure I could find some for him and think he might like a few so may send a few folks a link if interested?  He did say he did not want to be swamped!

He has gotten the go on his surviror exercise program at several hospitals in Central NJ so I feel so pleased to be able to work with him.  Course lately he has been working on my balance.  Big improvement. I practiced this past week what he showed me last week and the result....he upped my exercises this morning!  Means it is working and I am less unsteady!

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

A first for me - I actually decided to wear a sleeve for a few hours when doing heavier housework. My arm had been achy and I got scared - what if that LE creeps up my arm? Besides, it did hurt. So I put on my sleeve (that I got for the flight and that was the only time I wore it), and put it on as well as a glove. Over that vinyl and over that a rubber glove. The Farrow did not get wet from the water I used, just a drop clammy, and the sleeve seemed to help. Thank G-d, arm feels fine again - what a relief - and the sleeve is back in the box! I did discover that I must divide any heavier housework over the week, because I can't do it for too long at one time. Between LE, chemo after effects and ongoing drug therapy with SEs I feel I have been propelled into a decrepit state physically. For me this is one of the hardest adjustments, because I am not that old! The weather is getting nicer and it is time to start walking again. Maybe that will help. 

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

I finally got my Imak gloves, but I believe they sent the regular and not the Active ones. It doesn't say Active on the box and there are no special gripping thingies on the fingers as people wrote. I bought them on Amazon. I wrote them now to see what happend and what can be done. The sizing is good for me unlike Isotoner that was too big for some of my fingers. I also got my Farrow replacement and altogether Farrow and Brightlife were really accomodating and helpful. Kudos to them.

Has anyone ever slept with Imak gloves? Aren't they too tight to keep on for so long without moving fingers? At night I wrap and over that I am currently wearing a splint to keep carpal tunnel at bay.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

finally got my Imak gloves, but I believe they sent the regular and not the Active ones. It doesn't say Active on the box and there are no special gripping thingies on the fingers as people wrote

dassi

You surely got the ' regular"  ( grrrr!) and I for one believe the ACTIVE are FAR superior.  I have never slept in them, but after reading Binney's post, I am strongly considering a trial of sleeping in a farrow.

We'll see !

THX Binney

• hugz4u
    edited April 2013

Funny you were thinking of sleeping in the Farrow as I thought I would give it a try too. Thanks to Victoria's suggestion I am sleeping in a Biacare off the shelf night sleeve. It has no finger protection so  I thought I should pop on the Farrow so I have coverage there. I just got to check the compression of each one to see if the Farrow is more and then I am good to go. I only put one wrap on the hand and one wrap on the arm over the biacare and in the morn I have fairly deep tracks so it must be doing its job. I am thinking the tracks are good, Is that right? I get some horizontal tracks too in the morn. from the wraps bunching up under the Biacare oversleeve I hope this is OK. I know horizontal lines are not the best as the lymph doesn't move that direction. Correct me here if so as I am a newbie to the night stuff.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited April 2013

Hugz, the "horizontal" marks are not so goodFrown, because they indicate a possible blockage of lymph flow. The real question, though, is, how is your arm and hand in the morning? If swelling is down or stable then they're doing their job, but you need to watch any area "downstream" from the horizontal bunching. Any way you can avoid the bunching? Maybe another wrap instead of the oversleeve? Or a "herring bone" wrap instead of a spiral?

Hugs back at ya'!
    Binney

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Hmmmm, Binney- perhaps the farrow itself would help hugz in this case , as she is planning- no ?  What do you think ?

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited April 2013

I keep seeing that some of you get IMAK gloves, do they have graduated compression?  I have to have graduated compression on my hands, and can't see that these would work.  I asked my LE-T about them today, because we're trying something different since I've developed some swelling issues due to joint degeneration in my LE hand, anyway, she'd never heard of them and felt they might do more harm if the compression wasn't graduated.  Any thoughts from you guys? 

• purple32
    edited April 2013

do they have graduated compression?

No.

They do not, Linda.

They are $20 OTC gloves. I love them.  They work for me ...for now.

For that price, you might want to buy a pair and try them for an hr here or there.  We are all just so different. I dunno'.  IF you decide to ., get the ACTIVE...they are on amazon.com

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

I have been in touch with the company that sent me the wrong Imak gloves. It was through Amazon, so you can only do email. What a bummer. I had to threaten with a bad review before I got a reaction. The person who answered that mail, actually insinuated that my son or daughter-in-law had "switched" the active glove for a regular one. Can you believe it? No, I didn't make that up! In the meantime, I requested it to be dealt with by a supervisor, who is taking his sweet time. I am stuck. I could send the gloves back but who pays the postage in that case? I wanted them to send me the active ones right away to a nephew who is flying next Sunday, but, of course, by the time I'll get an answer, my nephew will probably be back in the States. In that case I will have to wait another 2-3 months for someone to come here and hopefully remember to take the gloves along. 

I am not mentioning which company it is, because I still hope that they come up with an acceptable solution, but what a difference with Farrow where I got prompt great service. Is the pressure on the regular Imak less than the Active Imak? I have been wrapping for night, and I doubt I would use the Imak for the night. It's just good to have when the Farrow is laundered or just so as a change.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Is the pressure on the regular Imak less than the Active Imak?

YES.

I am sorry dassi!
    My ' specialty' is working with these kind of ppl. ( I actually get satisfaction from it ) Grrrrr... I feel so badly for you .

Stay on top of this .

It's insulting!

• hugz4u
    edited April 2013

OK,I tried the Farrow glove with the Biacare sleeve and then a wrap over the Biacare with an over sleeve. My hand didn't like the farrow. In the morn I had a bit of swell where my fingers were bent at the middle knuckles. I am probably gonna have to gauze wrap if I want anything on my fingers at night. So I will stick to just the Biacare sleeve,wraps and over sleeve for now. It is good to experiment though cause you never know you might make your life easier.

Ps. I am waiting for one day when they take a mold of my arm and then fabricate a identical sleeve and glove. I can't wait, no slipping, binding,pinching etc.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

My hand didn't like the farrow. In the morn I had a bit of swell where my fingers were bent at the middle knuckles.

UGH.  What a disappointment !
    I tried my Isotoner glove to bed last night, but I only made it until 2 am.  I got up to use the bathroom and whipped it off- none the worse for the wear though.

That casting doesnt sound like  a bad idea, hugz !Wink

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

Here it's already Friday 12.30 AM and, no surprise, no reaction whatsoever from the "supervisor". I sent a little nudge to the original person who asnwered the emails. If I don't hear from them soon, I am taking the whole correspondence and putting it into Amazon's capable "hands". I heard they have great customer service for their own merchandise, and I assume they also care that the stores they carry, have proper customer service. Don't worry, Purple! I can be quite insistent when I encounter people like that. And that is exactly why I want to complain to Amazon. Hopefully, they'll help me get what is due to me.

One question to all of you wearing a real "day" glove to bed: Isn't that too much pressure when your hand is inactive? I was told that doing that may block circulation, instead of promoting it, and that's not what we want. Gauze wrap is so much gentler and you can control the pressure. So yes, it takes time to do it, but I actually got used to it, and when I don't, I feel something is missing. Isn't that weird? Going to bed now. Just caught a cold. (There was a huge drop in temperature for the last few days - very unusual for this time of the year when it's usually nice and sunny - and someone must have sneezed in my direction...) Took antihistamine so hopefully I will be able to sleep OK.

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

Imak update. The regular customer service rep just wrote me she'll nudge that supervisor, and she also asked me to give her my Israeli address. They might actually send it here!!! I am not celebrating yet. (When it comes, I'll throw a glove party Tongue Out. I just haven't figured out yet what that entails! A cake in the shape of a glove? A baseball glove to catch the Farrow? Decorating our gloves with sequins?) It's late and I am getting sillier by the second so good night to all of you.

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Imak update. The regular customer service rep just wrote me she'll nudge that supervisor, and she also asked me to give her my Israeli address. They might actually send it here!!!

GREAT!  A step in the right direction anyhow. We'll wait on the celebration.

As for the glove at night- so far, I have only tried the ISOTONER. I supsect you are right, if  talking about wearing a good compression glove. I doubt the Isotoner has much impact at all.

• hugz4u
    edited April 2013

Dassi, So sorry to here you caught a cold, hope you don't get achy muscles with it. Regarding day glove wearing to bed, Yes you shouldn't do this unless you are very careful and know how your body reacts. The Farrow glove for me was not good but for Binney it works. Each person is so different. The Farrow is a very light compression and this is probably why some can get away with it and works for them.

Indeed you do have to be careful playing around like this and I wouldn't reccommend a newbie trying this. ( I am just barely past a newbie myself, I wrote my exams and I have graduated to being a "older newbie", I would be called a "oldbie"LaughingTongue OutWink)

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited April 2013

Dassi: let us know if u don't get anywhere with Amazon. I think we could flood them with with emails in your support.I order from them at least weekly. I don't think they would like the bad publicity from poor customer service for a person with breast cancer! Let us know!

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited April 2013

I saw a new lymphedema therapist yesterday.  At night, she wants me to try wearing a custom Barton Carey glove + my finger tip/axilla Tribute, instead of gauze wrapping my hand + tribute =.  I would *love* not to gauze wrap, but I am concerned about

a) whether it is safe to wear a day glove at night,

b) will the many, thick seams on the Barton Carey be a problem

c) whether  the Barton Carey will do the trick.  

The therapist is ordering the Barton Carey in mesh fabric and the glove would only be for night time use.  That said,  a while back, I wore a silk Barton Carey glove for several months, and it didn't really contain the swelling during the day.

I'm interested in hearing from folks who wear day gloves with a night garment.  

Do you have hand swelling, or are you using the glove to prevent backflow?  

What brand day glove do you wear at night?

How well does the glove work, compared to gauze wraps?  Thanks  KS

• dassi52
    edited April 2013

Imak again - party's off. i got a response. They don't ship to Israel. They offer a refund or replacement within the US. I think they should include a refund for shipping back the wrong item! Whether I get that, I don't know, but I am not holding my breath. I didn't answer them yet, but I tend to just take the refund and order from a "nicer" company although it will cost me more. (They raised the prices on the Imak active as far as I could see). Between that, a stuffed head from my cold and painful knees from AL, I can always think of worse situations like chemo for example! 

Thanks, Beatmon, for offering support. At this point, I can't even complain too much to Amazon, because the company is offering what it is supposed to do. It's just that it took too long and that they are not going out of their way a little to make my life easier. (And that's the reason I think I will buy from Amazon directly and they do ship here although it costs me $10!). 

Have a great weekend to all of you!

• hugz4u
    edited April 2013

Oh dassi, your last few days have been grrrrr days. Good about the refund though.

I gauzed up last night and wrapped and that was so much better this morn than wearing the Farrow glove for me as I had no swell at the middle knuckles from my fingers being bent all night in one posistion.Farrow made me swell there.

KSI, If the seams run up and down that is probably ok but not if they are horizontal as I have just learned.The Barton carey would have to be a lighter compression for night I think. Just a thought, you should ask though.

• Victoria38
    Victoria38 Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2013

I am so fortunate, that even though I would call my LE on the moderate side, I can get by at night with the BiaCare gauntlet sleeve and no glove.  There really is no compression on the hand at all.  I guess I don't swell in the hand area at night is all I can say. 

• purple32
    edited April 2013

Yes victoria

The hand is a tricky area- I can tell you that ! Guess we all have some small ( LE ) things to consider ourselves " lucky' or fortunate with .  So bizarre  :>)