Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited November 2013

((((Purple)))) We sure do miss you.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited November 2013

(((((Purple)))))

Sending lots of lovingkindness your way, hoping you have a few good moments each day.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited November 2013

HUGS Purple - you are still in my prayers

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited November 2013

(((((((Purple))))))))

Hugs and prayers,

Binney

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2013

Purple, Sorry to hear you are having additional things, I'll be praying.🌠

• georgie1112
    georgie1112 Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2013

Purple,

Lovely color.

Sending you peace.

(((((hugs)))))

georgie

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited November 2013

Purple, I miss you, you have such good ideas and thoughts and have helped many here. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Winking

And Kane and Suzybelle, Hope your plugging along.

• gmafoley
    edited November 2013

Help. Looks like I might have to go custom sleeves. How much do they cost ? I don't have insurance so will have to pay out of pocket. Any suggestions are welcome. My wrist is always too small in comparison to my upper arm so wrist ends up swelling.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited November 2013

GmaF, I have found that the Solidea slimming sleeves have less compression at the wrist and I am muddling along with them until my "custom" sleeve gets finished - has only been ordered since June and has been returned 4 times for changes. I think custom sleeves are about twice as much or more - I think my fitter said around $300??? and the glove about $400??? I don't remember exactly, but it was horribly expensive. I have to pay 80% AFTER I meet a deductible of about $900. I can't really seem to get this figured out, am glad I have a sister who is a nurse who works in administration and understands all the billing, EOBs, copays, coinsurance, etc etc etc. She will help me out over Thanksgiving get this year's mess cleaned up and filed, and make sure I get all the forms filed so that I can get any reimbursements due me.

I am finding that lower overall compression works better with my gloves than the higher compression the LE therapist suggested. I don't have any excess fat and I truly think those tiny fragile lymph vessels get compressed with the higher compression and make my LE worse rather than better. I am still a mess, no control over this mess since it started in May. Just playing the hurry up and wait game. Not having much hope in getting better ever.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2013

I think they billed my insurance $700 each!!! Outrageous! They are one piece.

Linda- I haven't heard of the solidea, I'll have to check it out.

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2013

When I paid out of pocket, my DME company charged me around $100 for a custom Juzo soft sleeve (in beige). I know custom flat knit sleeves are more expensive, but I am not sure how much more so. KS1

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2013

Purple, sending warm thoughts your way.

I just got one of the Solidea silver wave sleeves, and really love it, especially the fact that it is loose compression at the wrist, where I have struggled with double compression from overlap in the past. fingers crossed on this one...

• gmafoley
    edited November 2013

Ok my right arm is down so well I can actually get a 2max juzo this time! All the measurements are withing the 2max range Happy

The other arm still is large on the upside and small on the down side so experimentation will be in play - My LE Therapist and I are making a pad to go on the top of the hand past the wrist to tighten up the wrist part. Hopefully, this works like it has in the past. That way I won't have to go custom.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited November 2013

GMA----sounds like progress for you! glad you found what seems to be a workable plan

• nz_423
    nz_423 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013

I am Nancy with BrightLife Direct and if you had gotten the sleeve through BrightLife, you would have had 30 days for a refund or exchange regardless of color or pattern choice.

• nz_423
    edited November 2013

It will depend on the brand and options you select. I can give you a good guess if you have some specifics.

• nz_423
    edited November 2013

Sometimes it is better to pay out-of-pocket and submit the claim to your insurance company on your own. If you purchased a sleeve and glove directly through Brightlife, the range on the sleeve would be $160.00- 234.00. The glove is always more expensive but in the range of $231.00 - $270.00.

• gmafoley
    edited November 2013

Nancy, my Lymphedivas just went back to Brightlife :) Thank you.. I have been dealing with them because they are so good about returns. LET and I figure out what I need then I order. I don't have insurance, so that is why I was asking the cost of custom. If this other idea doesn't work, I will have to give you a call about custom.

• nz_423
    edited November 2013

Feel free to contact me anytime if you need help. I am at ext. 109.

• nz_423
    edited November 2013

I should have included information regarding custom circular knit arm sleeves. Without a silicone band they are about $112.00 and with a band $125.40.

• hugz4u
    edited November 2013

nz 423

Regarding your Belisse bra. It is necessary to try on the garment. Your return policy says for the Belisse that you can't return it if the package is open. There is no way I can order this unless I can return it after trying it on. What are your thoughts on this?

I am sure more would order it if they could send it back for the proper size. One thing about bra fitting is that you have to try it on to see if it cuts you wrong in the armpit area where most of us girls are really tender or under the bust due to trunkal swelling. You just can't measure and expect it to be comfy.

Otherwise I love brightlifes return policy. You pretty much have it together on that.

• nz_423
    edited November 2013

The Bellisse Bra can be tried with the therapist or medical professional. If the fit is not correct the bra can be exchanged but cannot go home with the patient. Jovi will allow us to do the exchange for the correct size. I know it does not say that on the website but most of the products that we sell can be exchanged when fit by the therapist.

• hugz4u
    edited November 2013

So I am trying to avoid going to the fitter because they expect you to buy if they are going to fit you.

I would love to be able to order from Brightlife and return the bra until I can fit a comfy size. Bras are hard to fit for me. So what I would have to do is buy from the fitter and then the next time I need a bra I would know the size then I could order from you. Hum... I am trying to avoid the higher cost of the fitter and would like to buy your lower priced stuff. Any ideaz?

• hugz4u
    edited November 2013

nz 432. Actually I don't think companies are allowed to post on our boards. Something about advertising I think... even though you are very helpful and not directly advertising. I think the moderators will tell you that. You can PM me if you have a solution to my problem though.

FYI: I really love Brightlife direct. Keep the products coming. How about colored gloves.... at least in black.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2013

Hey ladies I wanted to post a link here for you all to read. I use a PS group out of San Antonio, TX PRMA. Dr. Ledoux is my PS. They are one of the top in their field in the United States. This year they have published a couple of studies that have to do with DIEP flap that I thought you all would be interested in. The most recent is they they are using a superficial vein along with the main vein to increase success rate of the transfer. The study has a 99% success rate. The other two studies are using the Vascular Lymph node transfer for those suffering with Lymphodema and also a study for obese patients using DIEP successfully. The group does over 500 DIEP flaps a year. Here is a link to their news media and articles you can check out. Hope this is helpful to someone. http://prma-enhance.com/useful-resources/media

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited November 2013

Hi ladies,

I have just come to this thread and have just had time to skim so far, so please forgive me for not having details!

Just wanted to mention that my custom garments were billed at $450 for the sleeve and $480 for the glove. Ridiculous in my opinion! Pretty sure the brand is Jobst (you can see I am not wearing it!). They make horribly expensive compression hose too.

Saw my LE PT lady yesterday and they are ordering me something for overnight. I don't have LE and don't want it! I am at great risk for it though because of all my nodes removed, even into tier 3.

Also wanted to mention node transplants because I saw something about DIEP. They are starting to take abdominal nodes and transfer to underarms with good degrees of success. It's worth keeping an eye on! I think I saw the information on the website for the breast recon center in Charleston.

Thanks for letting me pop in! Best wishes for all ;0)

• hugz4u
    edited November 2013

4sew. If you do not have LE then I would think that you would not need a night sleeve. There has been a thread on node transplant here and we are waiting for more evidence on success with bated breath.

Girls NZ-423 from Brightlife pm'd me. She still suggested I get fit for the belizze from a fitter.Then I will order from them next time.

Good news, Brightlife has added colors to there juzo expert line gloves. I suggested to NZ-423 for other gloves to come in a least in Black. This medical beige color is the pits.At least black looks sporty like. I also requested a compression tee which we all have on our hit list!

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited November 2013

4sewwhat, the recon practice in Charleston is well regarded for some lovely results in recon. But like all the other plastic surgeons who are doing lymph node transfers, they're incredibly short on serious information about surgical results and they're not saying a peep about real peer-reviewed research that would include long-term patient followup and transparent reporting of findings. Personally, I'm pretty disgusted by surgeons' websites that say or hint at 'research' or 'clinical trials' pertaining to node transfer, because no matter how deep we dig in the clinicaltrials.gov website, we come up with zilch. Oh, there's one 'clinical trial' sponsored by an organization owned by Dr. Marga Massey, but when you look at the clinicaltrials.gov status on that 'trial,' it's a whopping zero report. Call me cynical, but I think there's a lot of marketing of lymphatic surgery as a means to attract reconstruction business.

I'm grumpy today because my LE arm is bugging me and my diep breasts are puffy, too...truncal LE....I'd love to think that there's a miracle surgical cure out there, but we wouldn't know if a miracle cure were devised, because nobody's setting up success criteria or sharing any results! Whatever 'good degrees of success' are, somebody in node transfer surgery should really take the time to explain.

End of rant. Sorry...

Carol

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited November 2013

Carol, for goodness sake don't apologize! Thanks for stating the realities. It's frustrating in the extreme, and it's also unforgivably dangerous and irresponsible. But unfortunately, it's not illegal.

Sorry about the stupid LE acting up. Just ain't right! Hope it's soon back under control.

Gentle hugs,

Binney

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2013

After 4 years of wearing beige garments (custom Juzo soft sleeve with custom Juzo expert glove), I am thinking about getting my next set in black. I have a couple of questions about non-beige garments

1) SIZE. I've read on this thread and others that black garments tend to run small. Is that also true for CUSTOM garments? Is it a substantial difference, or on the same scale as the variability many of us have noticed between supposedly identical garments? If the difference is substantial, how do you compensate for this

2) STAINING. Do your garments stain either your shirt sleeves or your skin?

3) SENSITIVITY. Do you find the black irritates your skin?

Thanks, KS1