Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• DiZZyMom
    DiZZyMom Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2013

The itchy rash is definitely from the bandages. I have super sensitive skin. I can get a rash like this from a tag in a shirt. I changed the bandages this morning and before putting on the clean set, I put on Hydrocortisone, aquaphor and then some oatmeal/shea butter lotion. The itching isn't as bad right now. I really notice it at night when I wind down and not distracted by other things. I bought some Benadryl today and if it's bad again tonight, I'll take it. I don't want to get in the habit of taking meds though. I see the therapist tomorrow and we'll see what she says.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited December 2013

Ya, this is a bit weird as I had the same thing happen when I first started bandaging with compression.  Could it be the compression?  Just a thought.  ( Also,I washed the new stockinette after my initial red arm thingy.)

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited December 2013

DiZZyMom, you should not take Benadryl if you are on Tamoxifen.

• pkeiles
    pkeiles Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2014

Hi There All,

I know this has been asked 100 times, but I thought I would ask again since materials are always changing. Does anyone know how the feel compares between the medi 95, juzo, and jobst, sleeves? And any other for that matter. I currently wear a low compression off the shelf juzo soft/dream but I would like to consider other options before re-ordering.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide! (Oops, I put this question in two places related to gloves/sleeves).

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2014

I am struggling with my skin turning red from the sleeves, so I'm trying a few of them right now.  I had a Juzo sleeve before, and right now am trying a Jobst.  The Jobst Bella Lite (RTW) is the softest I've had on so far  (I've only tried a few), and so far, I'm not breaking out from it.  I am ordering through brightlifedirect.com.  Their prices are reasonable and they return/exchange without question.  I got their info from this forum. 

• pkeiles
    pkeiles Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2014

Thanks so much for your input, I suppose I could order it from brightlifedirect and if I don't like it exchange it for a Juzo. Thanks again, I think I'll give it a try.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited January 2014

mnmbeck - I am wearing the Jobst Bella Lite as my fitter talked me into trying it.

Actually, I like it.  The fit is good and it hasn't caused me to swell.  It seems to help

keep things under control without bad stuff.  It is gentle on my skin as well.

HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU!

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited January 2014

Denise, didn't you have problems with wrist & hand swelling from some glove/sleeve combos? Does the Bella light cause any problems there? What glove are you using with it?

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

Hi Linda, yes I was having wrist/hand swelling from the 2 pc sleeve/gauntlets.  That's why I switched to Medi-95. But my wrist was always really swollen with the Medi-95 as it did not have enough compression for me on the wrist.

When my LE measurement person suggested the Jobst Bella light I got pretty indignant with her because of that fact.  But it has brought my wrist WAY DOWN and it has not gone to my hand at all.  I've been wearing it almost exclusively since November 24, 2013. 

Plus, it's winter and freezing cold here in Ohio!  I never thought I would be a winter person, but with LE I sure am now!

• Linda-n3
    edited February 2014

Denise, are you using OTS or custom Jobst bella light?

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited February 2014

Just to let you know that my black glove and sleeve by jobst is too tight afterall and we have sent it back. I only hope they give me another set as it was a bit past 10 day mark that it was returned. I must talk to my fitter. I think she is avoiding the subject but did take my money!  GRRRRR. ..................oops wrong thread.

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited February 2014

I've been so lucky to fit in standard off the shelf sizes, but reading this thread makes me want to scream about how horrible the trial-and-error business of LE garments really is. I'm so sorry all of you are having to put up with this interminable process. What's that saying...they can put a man on the moon but they can't make it possible to fit compression garments on the first try?

• lynnincolorado
    lynnincolorado Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2014

Hello to all you brave women. I was interested to see that Lymphediva is planning to add Max sizes. My wrist is super small and my upper arm is not. I've purchased a couple patterned Lymphediva gauntlets to wear with my beige Juzo sleeves. Not a problem with long sleeves during the winter and gives a bit of variety. I like the patterns with some beige, so it kind of goes with my sleeve.

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2014

hugz4u.....why a 10 day return?  The store that I got a sleeve had a 30 day return policy, and I believe Brightlifedirect does, too.  (Not 100%, but pretty sure....I hope so because I have about $350. worth of sleeves/gauntlets I'm trying from them and it's been more than 10 days!).

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited February 2014

mnmbeck. These are custom garments and generally after a short time they are not refundable although I am pushing to have them fixed. 

Brightlife are the best.

I would love a short max lymphadivas. I know they make short.

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

Linda - it was not a custom Jobst Bella Light, but it fits me like it is.  I had my first

flare up since wearing it - shoveling snow.  I know better, but I just couldn't resist!

I did very little, but we have like 20 inches on the ground here in Ohio.  Crazy winter!

• Linda-n3
    edited February 2014

Denise, thanks. So sorry about the flare up. I know the feeling, that urge to just DO something, and it doesn't hurt right then, so you have no way of knowing (other than by history) that what you are doing can cause a flare-up. 

I am going to try to see a new lymphologist who was recommended by a couple of people - not sure what to expect, but apparently was able to help another person adjust garments to avoid the muffin top thing ... 

and I am going to look into the Bella Light. What hand protection do you use with the sleeve? I have been having good hand response to the Farrow Light, but the wrist still has a little puffiness, but it is the easiest glove for me to tolerate for the day. All the others make me so clumsy I can hardly function and are constant reminders of why I am so unhappy so often. When I can function, I can distract myself and feel more useful and happy overall. 

Thanks so much for your continued support and suggestions - they are greatly appreciated!

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

Linda, I've just been using the Bella Light gauntlet.  My finger problems went away thankfully. 

Good luck and keep us posted about the lymphologist!

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

HELP HELP HELP -   Insurance issue (NOT medicare)-  I was fitted back in November for 2 off the shelf sleeves and 2 off the shelf gauntlets.  My insurance covers OFF THE SHELF items and not custom items.  My insurance company paid for the sleeves.  However, they denied the gauntlets.  Gauntlets were billed under a custom code.   Called the provider asked them to change it to a non-custom code because it is an off the shelf item.  A HUGE argument ensued because the gal said she has been doing this for 8 years and the only code for gauntlets is a custom code.  I said, "Then women across America are being discriminated against because this item is not custom.  Who makes up the codes?"  She said,
    "The government."  I said, "If I have to go testify before the Senate I will.  This is wrong!"  A supervisor is supposed to call me back.

It is a $45.00 bill, but I HAVE coverage.  ANY INSIGHTS OR HELP would be appreciated!! 

• carol57
    edited February 2014

Denise, send an email to lymphactivist (at) aol.com.  And/or look at www.lymphactivist.org.  Bob Weiss is an expert on insurance coverage (or more accurately and sadly, lack thereof) of LE garments and therapy, and he may be able to help you discover the correct code.  

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

Carol - thank you SOOO much.   I will write him right now!  I see you live in Michigan.  The controversy is from Wright & Fillippis who have offices in Michigan..

• carol57
    edited February 2014

I just looked at the Wright & Fillippis website and I think they need some help on the 'first to care' part of their motto...

• denise-g
    edited February 2014

LOL for sure!  And no call back today!  They are quitting handling Mastectomy and Lymphedema items except at just a few stores starting now one of their people told me.

• carol57
    edited March 2014

Denise, take a look here for a list of codes for compression garments:

https://cignaforhcp.cigna.com/public/content/pdf/c...

I think that the codes are universal, so the codes published by Cigna should apply to all insurance companies. Note that the code S8428 is for a ready-made, i.e, not a custom gauntlet.  

This link was sent to me by the owner of a company that specializes in LE garments.  

Are you making any progress with your claim?

Carol

• denise-g
    edited March 2014

Hi Carol - wow, it took a lot of fighting, but they are going to resubmit it under another code.

The man you suggested I write, wrote me back and gave me the code.  I am so grateful to you!

And thanks for sending me these codes!  Sorry I haven't been on BCO for a week!

Denise

• carol57
    edited March 2014

Denise, that's great!  Bob Weiss is incredibly generous with his time, both to research and stay on top of Medicare and insurance issues important to those of us with LE, and to share his expertise with anyone who needs information.  Now let's just hope that the claim goes forward without a hitch from this point forward.

• Linda-n3
    edited May 2014

Bump for ejlj.

Just catching up with some of you - I got my fitter to relax the wrist at C1 and C6 a little, and no longer need to wear a glove all the time!!!! That helped the hand swelling so much, I can hardly believe it and wonder why she didn't try it earlier. In fact, it was the fitter who was taking care of her clients while she was away for a couple weeks who did this initially for me, and I was so happy with the custom sleeve I have re-ordered it. Am using Farrow Light gloves when I need a glove. Also alternating between Farrow wrap and Tribute for night use - each has its advantage & disadvantage. The Farrow wrap packs better for traveling but is more user-dependent for how effective it is - I still have occasionally not got the right pressure on all the tabs as I wrapped so I ended up with a few pockets of swelling that I don't get with the Tribute, but I can use my fingers and arm a lot more easily without having a "pillow" over the whole hand & arm.

Hoping you are all heading into warm weather in good shape, hoping you all stay that way. Garden easy!!!!!

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2014

and no longer need to wear a glove all the time!!!! 

WOO HOO!  That is awesome, Linda.

Have you tried a gauntlet ?

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited May 2014

So I went to re-order Medi 95 gloves and have discovered they are being discontinued.  You all might already know this, but thought it was worth a mention. (and Purple, nice to see you!)

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2014

THX , Hildy  ----  Nice to be back!