Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited November 2013

My favorite Juzo sleeve/gauntlet combo is in black. It is off-the-shelf so I cannot comment about sizing for custom, but I can say that it has never stained anything. I wash it with other black items, using a detergent made for dark colors and it has never faded, either. No sensitivity, but I'm not generally sensitive in any case, so no help to you there, either.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited November 2013

KS, I'm compression sensitive, so the difference between black and light-colored garments is critical. I have the same trouble with custom, I assume because they use the same pattern but the fabric behaves differently. It's a mystery to me. With my truncal garments, which are not custom, I order small in beige and medium in black to get the same compression. I've never been able to get an explanation from the makers about this, or even any recognition of the problem, but I'm not the only person who has commented on it. Interesting, no?

No fading, no color running on any of my garments, and they don't irritate my skin any more than any other garments (there's a weather system stalled over us the last couple of days, so EVERYTHING is bothering me at the moment--grrrr!)

Let us know how it goes for you. I love the black garments, but I don't order them anymore (except the medium black Wear-Ease cami) because they give me grief.

Hope that helps some and isn't just discouraging,

Binney

• carol57
    edited November 2013

I just checked old emails, as I recall having an email discussion with an exec at one of the garment makers that does a lot of custom work. I had asked him about the black-being-more-compressive issue, and he said it was something they were working on, and they would have an announcement 'soon.' That was about a year ago, so I just sent a follow-up to ask what's up. If I hear anything back, I'll post the information.

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited November 2013

Sorry ladies, I thought transplant info out there was a good thing. I don't have much info to offer on sleeves. Mine is the ugly beige color. They have a new cranberry color now too. Hate wearing the thing! Don't think I will ever get used to it.

• carol57
    edited November 2013

4sewwhat, transplant work IS a good thing, it's the pitiful lack of information about results and premature (and sometimes shameless) promotion of its yet-to-be-proven benefits that's so troublesome. What saddens me most is that here we have some incredibly gifted microsurgeons working on what might well turn out to be the cure we'd all love to see, but they are not sharing information in a way that would help them build on each others' experiences. Dr. Becker has made it clear that she considers the work of sharing her records a waste of time, and she arguably has the most information to share, if she were willing to do so. The surgeons working on vascular bypass solutions seem to be working independently, too. The National Lymphedema Network will have its big research conference in fall of 2014, and I'm hoping that the whole group of LE surgeons will show up and have a roundtable discussion. But I'm not holding my breath on that!

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited November 2013

Dang lost my post. Anyhow, we discussed this black garment fitting stuff before and we had heard that it was the dying process that makes black tighter. That is true for me. I have two identical Juzo 3512 banded sleeves and the black one is tighter for sure which for me works because the beige 3512 is looser around the elbow and the black fits better. If you try bras on in a store the black ones are always tighter.

I never order a black shaper unless it is a size bigger.

I just ordered a custom black sleeve and forgot to tell my fitter that black fits tighter and to measure looser. It should be interesting to see how it fits when it comes. I wonder if the custom garment manufactures take this into consideration.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013

Oh gosh, interesting about black vs. beige!

INSURANCE QUESTION - in 2012 I paid for all my compression garments out of pocket because I could not figure out how to get insurance to pay.

In 2013, I finally figured it out and found a place locally to get compression sleeves. HOWEVER, they only carry Jobst. (absolutely ridiculous!!) So just to get something because end of year and new deductible approaching, I got 2 sleeves and 2 gauntlets by Jobst. They are not bad, but I had been wearing Medi 95 combined sleeve and gauntlet which I liked much better.

Do any online places accept insurance? My insurance company paid my medical bills really well (thank God), but they are useless when it comes to information about LE. How do you all handle insurance claims? Pay your own and submit?!

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited November 2013

Denise, my insurance company told me to submit any and all claims, they weren't even really sure just what they did or did not cover - it is very vague as to "how many" etc, - but the lady I talked to told me to just submit everything and see what they would reimburse me. The online companies do not file insurance and only one local fitter files here, so you really do have to do a lot of the work yourself. To that, I say ThumbsDown.

• hugz4u
    edited November 2013

Brightlife also carrys JOVI.

Solidea is having a black friday sale. I think they are posting it to my email tomorrow.

• sleevelady
    sleevelady Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013

I'be got a sigvaris all in one sleeve with gauntlet. Very comfortable when I got used to it. If it is wrinkling at the wrist you probably just need to ease it further up your arm. LE left arm so sleep on left side with left arm sloped up onto one pillow and right arm resting on another pillow on top of left arm. Seems to work. Hope description understandable!

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited November 2013

wow why such a big difference in what they are charging us for custom garments. Mine last sleeve was a juzo expert and cost my $237 The ones for my leg were $220 each.

I ordered one of the colored off the shelf dream sleeves in pewter. I like it but thought it runs bigger than my last one. Regardless some compression has to be better than none since I can't wear my last custom. It makes my elbow puff. So I have been sleeveless for a month. Still waiting on legs...Haven't been able to wear those since September. If I ever get my garments I will never use AETNA's approved provider again. This has been in the process since July 12.

• Linda-n3
    edited November 2013

Kittydog, I have been trying since early June to get custom garments to work - nothing so far. Seeing the fitter on Tuesday - am ready to give up even hoping for a garment that works or at least doesn't make things WORSE!!! I am also getting a puffy elbow, tense inner forearm. Hand is doing a bit better with Kinesiotape and softer Farrow gloves. But then wrist gets puffy. Geez, it seems to me that if the fluid is moving around this much, there must be SOME lymph vessels functioning and a good LE-T OUGHT to be able to help, I just don't seem to have one. Oops - wrong thread again. Sorry! Am finding the Solidea slimming sleeves as good as anything I have, but I still have swelling that reduces with bandages a little, sort of stable or worse with the sleeves. *sigh*

• hugz4u
    edited December 2013

Sleevelady. I just got the off shelf all in one combo sigvaris arm and glove recently Mine wrinkles at the wrist too leaving small puffy marks from uneven compression at the wrist. I tried pulling it up because it may be a tad long but the sleeve part still works itself down into those nasty wrinkles. Anyone got more ideaz?

• carol57
    edited December 2013

Hugz, can you cut a piece of foam that you might otherwise put under bandages if wrapping? A little foam oval would allow the sleeve to apply compression to your wrist but it would insulate you from the wrinkles. Or at least I think so, as I've never needed to try this myself.

• vaper
    vaper Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

Anyone have Medicare? Did they pay for sleeve, glove, or compression bra? Some people have told me they do but the medical supply says they do not. Thank you.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited December 2013

i don't know about compression bras, but Medicare does NOT cover sleeves and gloves! :-(

• carol57
    edited December 2013

vaper, we have a wonderful friend in Bob Weiss, who has become a Medicare and insurance expert when dealing with lymphedema. He has helped a variety of people eventually compel Medicare to pay for garments through a lengthy appeals process. His help is free and he's trying to build a body of case law within Medicare so that eventually their standard denial is changed. You can visit his website here: http://www.lymphactivist.org/ . He has lots of information there about coverage of compression garments.

• LindaKR
    edited December 2013

Wow Carol57, thanks for the info, I'm on Medicare now too, and my last custom one-piece sleeves with gloves (before Medicare) were billed out at $700 each to my Blue Cross policy, I've been babying them for a year, not always wearing them when I probably should, etc.... This info is invaluable, and I'd love to help him anyway I can to get Medicare to pay for this very important DME!!!

Linda R

• carol57
    edited December 2013

Linda, I hope you contact Bob and see if you can work together to create a Medicare case. The challenging part is that you have to request coverage, get denied (no challenge there!), and pay for the garment out of pocket. Then appeal, get denied, appeal again, get denied, etc., escalating each time within Medicare. Bob's successful argument has been that Medicare covers prosthetic devices that substitute or compensate for a non-functioning body part (I'm paraphrasing, probably not very well). He has prodded Medicare appeals judges in the past to agree that a compression garment is taking the place of a non-functioning or impaired lymphatic system. He's patient and persistent, that's for sure!

Carol

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited December 2013

Kitty and Linda, Just in the last 10 days or so Ive noticed my elbow is getting more and more puffy. I don't think my custom sleeve is managing to contain my LE at all and we're just coming into summer here. :-(. I REALLY REALLY dont want to have to wrap all the time.

• LindaKR
    edited December 2013

thanks Carol!

• georgie1112
    georgie1112 Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2013

Carol,

Great information on challenging Medicare denying coverage of Lymphedema garments. We need to be advocates for better coverage not only for ourselves but for others.

My insurance denied the Oncotype dx test 7 years ago because the lab was out of state. With my permission the company appealed it. Took a long time, at least 6-9 months, but on the 3rd appeal the test was accepted. A no brainier b/c they saved $$$ when my score was low. I am pretty sure it is a standard of care now.

Linda,

I hope you have the energy to do this.

Georgie

• Linda-n3
    edited December 2013

FINALLY got my new Juzo SOFT custom sleeve and glove. I think it works!!!!!!!!!

I wore it last night for 4 hours before bed and bandaging, felt pretty good, no puffy hand or wrist over that length of time, which is usually apparent if the garments are not working well after that long. So today, I attended an abstract painting class, which uses full arm and shoulder motion all day. I used the sleeve, but used my old Isotoner double glove for painting as I did not want to get my brand new EXPENSIVE gloves damaged with paint. Arm is very tired and painful, but swelling not bad, wrist NOT puffy and hand not worse than it was this morning after taking bandages off!!!! Put my glove on tonight, I think there is a slight problem with the rubber-band effect at the tips of the fingers, but not real bad, I think I can deal with it but just have my second pair have that relaxed a little more when they are ordered. I am optimistic!!!

I also saw the NP for my BS yesterday, complained about the whole LE thing, and she is sending me back to LE-therapy for a couple of weeks to try to get things settled down a little better.

I have an opportunity to take the LANA course and become a certified LE therapist. Any comments? It is expensive, is about 135 or more hours including online readings before class and full days of classes. Also learn how to do measurements for garments - may be "certified" for one of the companies, which might actually be a good thing! But it takes time away from my art and other fun stuff.

So I knew very well that I was stressing my arm by taking this class, but I am sharing the painting I did last week (hope I didn't already post it - I am a bit forgetful so if I already sent it, sorry), and it was worth the pain and swelling. And I will continue to make that choice!

• hugz4u
    edited December 2013

Beautiful painting, and if you have the opportunity to take LE course then go for it as you will become even more proactive in your self care.........and maybe you can give us good tips too!

• carol57
    edited December 2013

linda, woo hoo on the garments!!!!!

You might PM kira to ask her about her experience doing a 135-hour CLT course. I think it's been less than a year, so certainly fresh in her mind. She has posted about that experience from time to time and I'm sure she would love to share her insights.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited December 2013

Linda, wonderful colors and depth. Soothing. How big is it? Where are you going to hang it?

So glad the garments are finally "so far, so good," and I sure hope that continues to be the case. Tomorrow may not be the best day to judge fit and feel, since that aching from all the full-arm work will draw more lymph fluid to the arm (and possibly the hand), but that should be only a temporary set-back--so hang in there!

What school are you thinking of using for the CLT training? It'd be just great for all of us to have yet another trained advocate among us! It's a strenuous course, to say the least, but since you're stuck thinking about LE full time anyway, it'd be a great way to increase your skills and knowledge. You already know A LOT just from trying to get decent garments! Keep us posted, please.

Gentle hugs,

Binney

• hugz4u
    edited December 2013

Carol, That foam trick sounds like it should solve the wrinkle dig in. Now to stop the sleeve from creeping down. Maybe the foam will help that to :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited December 2013
    Linda, so so pleased you are getting somewhere with your sleeves at last. Lets hope it all works out for you and you get more of a break with all the stuff thats been going on. Its nice too that you are able to do your painting work which is a wonderful thing to do as its very relaxing.
  • gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited December 2013

Well, I finally sat down and made a pad for the back of my hand and wrist. Takes a bit of getting used to but no more pooling...

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited December 2013

I looked into the class for Lana certification, for me I would have had to become first the regular massage program and then the LANA program.  I did not think I would get through the massage program without a problem so it went to the back burner

my LE is in my trunk and I have only minor swelling so did not want to risk it