Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2014

I LOVE Diva......I always order from them....my First Gauntlet was Sunday Picnic....just ordered four more last week......so much nicer then Juzzo and Cooler....BUT!! I always get asked What is wrong with my Hand!!   Liz

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Is it a common problem of the top of the sleeve rolling down??   I am new to this.....Liz

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2014

sandcastle many of the sleeves come with an options of silicon to prevent that but not everyone needs it. If you have larger upper arms then you may. I do not so I don't need it…But I need to change my sleeves because the manufacturer stopped making they type I wear. I will be switching brands and the ones that fit me only come with silicon.

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited October 2014

Liz, it sure is common. Some sleeves come with silicone dots or diamonds to help snug them to your skin, although they may not prevent rolling and some women are allergic to the silicone. I find that my Lymphedivas sleeves are particularly susceptible to rolling, and it's because they've chosen to avoid any thick or stiff cuff at the top. What sometimes works for me is to wear the sleeve under a shirt that has a sleeve not too tight (to avoid double compression) but snug enough to prevent the compression sleeve from rolling.  It's sure an annoying problem, isn't it?

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Have....any of you tried JUZZO DREAM SLEEVE??  and How did that work for YOU??  Liz

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2014

Sandcastle, the Juzo dream sleeves are comfortable and pretty. They work for me because I'm compression sensitive and don't need a firm compression (though I use them only on occasion because I do much better with a custom fit). They're too "light" for many women, though, as their containment factor is low. They come in a lovely color range that changes with the seasons, and in tie-dye patterns. Lovely! Just not for everyone.

Hugs,
    Binney

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited October 2014

I wear the Juzo Dream Sleeve. They are fine for me at this point, but most of my LE is truncal.

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Thank YOU Both.....Binney and Glennie....you have been a big help......will ask my PT tomorrow...how she thinks that would work for me.....Liz

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

I...saw my PT today.....and she measured me after Massage.....we ordered Solaris ExoStrong......sleeve and a gauntlet......hope it works out.....will order next week night compression.......Liz

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2014

I use the glue that someone recommended to keep my Lymphedivas sleeves up. Allergic to the diamond band.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2014

Binny, What does Compression sensitive mean? I am trying to learn before I have to order my custom sleeve and glove...I itch terrible with the wrappings, enough itching to open my skin in a rash. I think it is all counterproductive but the LE therapist tells me to use cortisone every day and keep dealing with it. She is a qualified LE therapist.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2014

Yikes! That sounds really desperate, crystal! More like an allergy. Has she tried different materials for the layer of wrapping that's next to your skin? Skin breaks are dangerous for an area with LE, so keep asking her about alternatives to the fabrics that are making you itch.

Compression sensitive means something different. Basically, if I wrap too tightly or wear compression garments that are too tight or stiff it makes me swell more. My swelling responds well to light compression, but it gets worse with either higher compression levels or sturdier fabrics. I can wear Juzo soft or Gottfried garments, but the others don't work for me. It's not that they irritate my skin or make me itch, it's that they make the swelling worse. 

Hope that helps!

Hugs,
    Binney

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited October 2014

Good thought Binney.. I just got my first custom garment - took 3 tries to get the measurement correct.  Truthfully, I haven't tried it since I got it yesterday.  Hoping it fits this time.  

Crystalpmh, My LE therapist put a cotton cast liner near my skin before wrapping when he did it.  I get little bumps if I just wear wrap or if the padding is on the skin. Also, there are a few sleeves that contain wool.. I'm highly allergic to wool.. Hope that helps.  I also find using "vanicream lite lotion" helps the bumps I get. You can get it at Walgreens. Bottle seems to last forever and it doesn't break down the material in the sleeves.

• DonnaKay
    DonnaKay Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2014

Hi Ladies!  This is my first time posting.  I have a custom sleeve made by Mediven.  The correct name is Mediven Mondi Esprit. The sleeve and glove are all one piece.  No matter what I tried wearing them as  separate pieces, I had the tourniquet effect and my hand swelled up like a baseball glove.  I had minimal swelling until I started taking Arimidex last February.  Then, BAM!  My question for you all is, if you have a custom sleeve, did your insurance pay for it?  Did you have to submit the claim yourself?  Is there an insurance code?  I have to submit my receipt soon and I'd like for it to go as smoothly as possible.  Paying $500 for one sleeve, I can only afford one at a time.  I'd love to have at least one spare.  Also, my sleeve now has a snag and it seems to be growing, and one hole in a not-so-important place.  What are the warranties on these?  Thanks for any advice!

Donna 

• lago
    edited October 2014

My insurance will pay 100%  after my deductible is met if I go to a preferred provider. I get them for both arms since the other is at risk. I wear it on that arm when I fly or strength train. My insurance will only cover 1 sleeve per arm every 6 months. I don't wear custom.

Finding a preferred provider is quite challenging. They give me a list but most are companies that supply artificial limbs and have no idea what lymphedema is. I live in Chicago and I actually have to travel 45 minutes out of the city. Ridiculous but at least now that I've been measured they will mail them to me. Hate Aetna. I believe at one point they were sued over not providing enough "proferred providers."

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

I just HATE insurance......My Therapist said to call and see if I am covered....Dealing with them is the PITS!!  I have BC/BS they said to have the therapist call if it is medical necessary.....No Prob.....I asked what Vendors can I use.....She said have the Therapist call??!!  Good Lord....Give me a Break......Then I called the Company I want to use and have already placed an order and they were VERY nice and said they are out of Network........Today I did receive my Solaris ExoStrong in Black.....I feel it is going to work.....my therapist does not feel I need a Custom.  The Sleeve was only $50.75....But the Gauntlet was $80.25....Liz

• DonnaKay
    edited October 2014

I needed a 30/40 pressure on my  arm and hand, but was told the gloves only come in 20/30.  If I got a glove like that with more pressure on my arm, it would have made my hand blow up again.  With this custom sleeve, my hand is doing great, but starting at the wrist there is still an amount of swelling that I'd like to go away.  I'd love to have both wrists look the same.  I wear my garment every day all day.  I wash it while I sleep and dry it while showering in the morning.  I personally think this is the worst thing to deal with after cancer.

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

DonnaKay....YOU are so very right....this is a hard things to deal with........I am trying to be up about it......but it can get one down when you kept getting asked WHAT is wrong with your Hand!!   It just gets on my Nerves....Liz

• DonnaKay
    edited October 2014

On my first go-round with physical therapy, I was embarrassed of the Michelin man wrapping.  My boss asked me, is that getting better or worse?  I overthink things, but that was the last day of pt for me.  Fast forward a few months, my hand looked like a baseball glove and I knew I had to do something about it.  I wore that bandage 24/7 for 10 weeks and had pt 3X per week.  I didn't care what anyone thought!  And now the sleeve.  If there is time, I educate the people that ask bc so many people don't know what it is.  I just feel like there has got to be a better way to remove the nodes to make it not so uncomfortable.  after surgery but before I showed symptoms of lymphedema, I said it felt like I was carrying a football under my arm.  I told every doctor.  No one told me what it could be.  Now I know because every time I take my sleeve off, the football is back and throbbing.  Time to elevate!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2014

Insurance companies are just mean. My new ins. co. says, sleeves are covered without restriction! AS LONG as they are a medical necessity. They won't say how many sets are a medical necessity. So, I have to see my LE therapist just so she can send up-to-date documentation that I have LE and need sleeves. It's a waste of our time, really. It will still be a guessing game to know if they cover one, two, three, fifty (ha!) sets. Do I risk ordering more than one set of four pieces?? Very expensive. Bilateral here and I wear them all day, every day.

• lago
    edited October 2014

Jeannie your insurance should cover 2 sleaves and 2 gloves or gauntlets every 6 months. Insurance companies are not mean...they are greedy. It's all about money and I mean them holding on to it. 

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Donna.....I also have had a First go round with a Therapist......and it was Awful....I went for about 5 weeks and it was the pits....I had just been through my fourth surgery in five months at the time.....my first sleeve blew my arm up.......it was a disaster....that was in 2011.......I did wear a gauntlet from time to time...BUT...all the question!!!??

This Summer on the end of our Vacation there was a bump on my index finger....Palm side.....as soon as I got home I called my Breast Doctor...for it was on my Lympedema Hand.......I was into a hand Surgeon one two three........had Surgery and it turned out to be Thrombosis........DAMN!!  after that I hooked up to a Program in a Hospital.....this therapist is very, very good.....I wear the Sleeve and gauntlet and I do NOT care what people say.....for I will tell them where to GO!!  Liz

• sher
    sher Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2014

Does anyone know if there are longer length mid-forearm off the shelf gloves available? 

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

How does one put up with a Sleeve and Gauntlet when it is HOT outside...I am wearing a Solaris ExoStrong.....Please tell me......Liz

• lago
    edited October 2014

sandcastle the first summer I wore my sleeves it was one of the hottest in Chicago. 90 plus humidity. But I got used to it. Granted now I don't wear my glove just the sleeve (per doctors recommendation) so it's a little better. In general when it's really hot I try to stay in AC. The high heat isn't the greatest for LE.

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

It is so VERY strange....so many with Breast Cancer....but it seems like I am the ONLY one in New Jersey wearing a sleeve and Gauntlet.....How can that be......Liz

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2014

Hi ladies, I have been seeing a therapist for the past few weeks for early lymphedema, and I just got my first compression garment today. I really like it, it is just a standard light compression sleeve and glove. I am so thankful for this thread and all the info herein....I will be reading for awhile to get informed!

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited October 2014

Liz, we all wonder about that.  I fly nearly ever week and in 3 years of LE, I think I have seen 3 other women in compression gear.  Puzzling. One in 8 women get BC and about 40% of those get LE. We should be seeing more sleeves.

One heat trick is to spray your sleeve lightly with water. Don't soak it, but a little dampness in heat will give you some evaporative cooling.

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Carol....Thank You for that Tip......The only thing I can tell you is my daughter works in NYC and knows a lot of girls with BC....when it happened to me she said these girls go for Massage......I asked my Daughter about Sleeves and she said she never saw anyone with a sleeve.....I do think they do not want to be seen in their workplace with one.....Liz

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited October 2014

Sandcastle. I am sure I am the only one wearing LE gear on the westcoast. Doctors just are not educated enough on the lymph system and miss diagnosing it all the time. Unless you come in with huge limbs the docs just don't "GETIT" ugh...