Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• lazylizzie
    lazylizzie Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2014

Oh gosh, my wrist is only 13.5cm. Now I'm skeptical if the medi 95 size II will fit me...please tell me it will :( 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited November 2014

Lazylizzie I think you'll be OK but do check the rest of the measurements. I thought you looked at a size chart before you purchased:

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2014

How, many hours of the day do you wear your Gauntlet and Armsleeve??  I, wear mine about 6 to 8 hours.....when it comes time for dinner....I just cannot stand it anymore......I also use night compression.....Liz

• lago
    edited November 2014

Put mine on first thing in the morning around 6:30 am. Take off when showering then put on again. I used to wear it till I was going to sleep but a few years ago my MD told me to try taking it off around 7pm. Seems to be fine. Many times I'll wear it longer because I'm preparing dinner. Take it off after dinner is made.

It takes time to get used to it. I've been wearing mine for almost 4 years now. My arm feels better with it on.

So total would be at least 12-13 hours a day.

• GG2
    GG2 Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2014

I think you meant the reverse on shipping. Don't select UPS. select USPS for free shipping. I just did it.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited December 2014

Sandcastle - I wear my compression sleeve (used to wear a gauntlet, but IT GOT BETTER!) from

8 am to 8 pm.  At 8 pm, like clockwork no matter where I am, I rip it off.  I've reached my limitations.

I used to have to wear night garments, but they didn't do much more for me.  Wasn't worth the effort!

• sandcastle
    edited December 2014

Thank You Denise......So very hard to get use to this......Last night I was able to keep my night compression on from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM this morning......Then it is on and off......Put it on to go to the gym and take it off to shower.....put it on again and I leave it on until I cannot stand it.....about 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon.......my only driving force is in September I had a Thrombosis on my Index Finger on the Lymph Arm......that keeps me wearing these garments...Liz

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited December 2014

sandcastle, which garment are you wearing at night? I use a Solaris Tribute and putting it on feels like giving my arm a gentle hug, a welcome relief from the day sleeve.

• sandcastle
    edited December 2014

Carol.......When I was going through Therapy a CentraState Hospital  not too long ago my Therapist let me take Home the Tribute...it was nice but she says she really does not like to spend other people money and she could find one just as good for a fraction of the cost so I use one by BiaCare the cost of that was $150.00......during the day I use Solaris Exo Strong.......Of course it does feel better then the day Sleeve....Liz

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited December 2014

Denise,

I read your blog entries on lymphedema (nice blog BTW!). As I read it, I thought wow, that could have been written by me!

I spent the last two months working with a LE therapist bandaging every day to reduce just a little bit swelling in my arm. Then once I got better and got rid of the bandages, my therapist released me from her care and I wore my new sleeve for about a month. Then all hell broke loose. I was out of town and had a family emergency, so didn't take care of myself like I normally do. Then when I finally got home, I made the same mistake you wrote about - started carrying in heavy groceries ... eating salty foods ... carrying a heavy purse on that arm ... OMG WHAT WAS I THINKING?!! Now the swelling is back, although not as bad as before, but I'm so mad at myself! Oh well - at least I learned a valuable lesson. That is that lymphedema is forever, even if it's just a little bit of swelling, which I'm grateful for, but still.... :(

So, I'm just wondering what are some other women's triggers? Does anyone get swelling with keyboarding? I'm on a computer all day some days, but not sure if that's a trigger for me. I noticed it gets worse when I'm driving long distances, or maybe it's due to hauling suitcases, but I try not to use that arm when doing that.

Thanks!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited December 2014

My LE therapist says that keyboarding can definitely be a trigger.  My LE is mostly truncal, so far keyboarding has not been an issue for me, but she warned me about it, as my job is a solid 8 hours on the computer.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited December 2014

Denise, I use a left-hand-only keyboard called a "Frog Pad" because my right arm and hand can't handle keyboarding. It took me a couple of weeks to get proficient at it, but I'm really glad I did. Writing by hand on paper also makes my hand swell, so I gave up sending out Christmas cards because I couldn't write notes in them or address them anymore. I did practice writing left-handed for awhile, but that's really hard to do!

Other LE triggers can include changing weather (air pressure), plane travel, car trips especially with altitude change, some foods, and weight gain. Also repetitive activities, like possibly knitting or crocheting or cutting with a scissors (I use a rotary cutter for fabric). Some sports (depends on the person and also on their fitness level). And leaning weight on your arm, like standing next to a desk with your hands on the desk, leaning on an arm when scrubbing floors, certain yoga poses, and sitting on the floor with your knees up to your chest and your arms wrapped around them. Also, sleeping on your arm.

If necessary, an OT trained in LE therapy may be able to help you make accommodations if some of those are favorite (or just necessary) activities. Worth asking, if they're important to you.

If you've learned how to wrap your arm, that's the quickest way to reduce a flare. If you haven't learned, insist on being taught, because it gives you the freedom to get on with your life.

Gentle hugs,
    Binney

• bc101
    edited December 2014

Thanks for the list, Binney. Hmmm, I LOVE to crochet and am on the computer all day. So I guess I need to know my limits.

Yep, I still have my bandages so I can always go back to that.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2014

I know Lymphedivas don't work for everyone, but I just listened to an interesting interview with the company's founder's parents. They kept the company going and growing after their daughter, Rachel, died of breast cancer. Her little brother, Josh, is CEO now. A labor of love. Here's the link if you are interested. http://wamc.org/post/wamc-s-alan-chartock-conversation-judy-and-howard-levin-about-lymphedivas

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2014

forgot to mention that they sell Lymphedudes now and a glove should be out the first of the year.

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited December 2014

I love lymphedivas but for me my LE girl says flat knit is the best for fluid control so I wear that. Still I will be getting set of Lymphedivas glove and sleeve when they come just for special occasions as some control is better than a bare arm. Hopefully they will fit me. For those not familiar, Lymphedivas come in short and max.

Yes, Josh is our hero. He is so dedicated. I am sure he is looking at our threads as we speak but he cannot post as moderators see that as advertising. Too bad because he really likes feed back and use to jump in on the conversations. He developed the hospital sleeve upon our request.

Josh, Your Sis would be so proud of you helping us LEers. How about camis too? I know we are rushing you but your products are so nice.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited December 2014

Jeanie - thanks for the link to the NPR interview. Fascinating. MD Anderson has supposedly ordered me custom sleeves since the therapist doesn't think my stock sleeves were doing the job. It will be interesting to see what I get.

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927
    edited December 2014

If anyone used LympheDivas, Brightlife is having a sale this weekend.

3 pattern sleeves for $169
    3 pattern sleeves and matching gauntlets for $335

• bc101
    edited December 2014

Thanks for posting on Brightlife. Never heard of it. Too bad insurance doesn't cover LympheDivas brand. I LOVE how they feel and the designs, but had problems finding exactly the right size. I'll give it another try....

• lago
    edited December 2014

I love Brightlife. If my high deductible isn't met it's actually cheaper for me to purchase my sleeves through them.

• bc101
    edited December 2014

Does anyone wear a sleeve without the gauntlet? I recently bought a black sleeve with a glove and the glove is too tight. Unfortunately they won't return it because it had to be dyed, so it's considered a custom order. They also won't sell gauntlets separately from the sleeves. Just wondering if I could get by with just the sleeve? I've never really had any swelling in my hand except during hot summer days.

• lago
    edited December 2014

I do but initially I wore both. My LE MD felt my hand didn't swell so he told me to try without. I only wear the glove when I fly.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2014

I am glad to just take a moment and read all of your posts. I just finished 2 months of LE therapy and already I can feel myself getting too casual about all I have learned. It is hard to remember how easy it is to retrigger LE!

I wear my sleeves and gauntlet 12 hours a day and then rip it off. But I try to be sure I don't do anything difficult when the compression is off.

Well, thanks for all the reminders to keep taking care of myself!

• glennie19
    edited December 2014

I haven't had any swelling in my hand yet. So I only wear a gauntlet when I fly.  I do wear a sleeve regularly, and my **fun** truncal compression.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited December 2014

I'm also in PT for truncal LE. I have a Belisse compression bra/vest and a WearEase compression Sydney Bra. I got my custom sleeves today - I need Long but my wrists are too small to use a stock sleeve. And surprise, the smallest gauntlet still won't meet the skin around my wrist so now the PT has ordered custom gauntlets too. Like Glennie, I was planning to only wear the gauntlets when I fly. I've been doing the massage but fighting wearing the sleeves every day since the only area affected is my chest, side & back. I expect I need to give in to the sleeves since I sure don't want to have more parts affected. Anyone else w/truncal skipping the sleeves except for "heavy" activity? Do you all feel you must wear a gauntlet every time you wear a sleeve? I probably need to go post on the 'grrrr' thread but I've been putting that off too.

• glennie19
    edited December 2014

Minustwo:   I was skipping the sleeve for quite a while now.  My LE therapist recommended that I wear it when I garden, and when I work on the computer, as I spend 8 hours a day on it for work.  But I had been slacking. What happened this week, is that I slept on that side and woke up  Monday morning with my arm feeling heavy!! It definitely felt swollen to me. Fortunately I had an appt with LE therapist that day. She said I was def. more swollen,, although not a lot,, but it was measurable.  So now, I'm trying really hard to not sleep on that side, and wear the sleeve while I'm having this flare.   I can't sleep on my back. I have a problem with the right shoulder and sleeping on that side aggravates it,, and of course I can't sleep on my left (LE) side either. And I have hot flashes!  I just can't sleep!  Anyway,, that is the story of my flare and what caused me to start wearing the sleeve again.  Swell Spot and Breast Binder are my everyday outfits, for sure.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited December 2014

newbie needing some advice. Had BMX a week ago and 4 nodes removed.

Going to fly for several hours 3 weeks from now. When I go back to work I do kits if lifting caring for toddlers.

Insurance won't pay for sleeve and gauntlet until I actually get Lymphedema. I already wear compression hose and know how quickly things can go from nothing to worse. Considering ordering on my own from an online compression supply place. Any suggestions for brand/ style to consider or avoid .

That's!

Susan

• lago
    edited December 2014

I always found www.brightlifedirect.com has great prices.

LympheDIVAs has seconds. I don't wear their sleeves but the seconds are just misprints. The sleeve functions are the same as the full price: linky

You need to measure your arm and see if you actually can find a brand that will fit. I'm lucky I can use an off the shelf product but many women need custom. Wearing a sleeve that doesn't fit well can cause a problem.

• glennie19
    edited December 2014

Chloesmom:  I recommend going to a fitter and getting measured. Maybe buy your first one from the fitter, but then you can buy on-line after that where you can get good deals.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2014

Chloesmom, I would buy the sleeve and gauntlet from a fitter (get measured for this) to fly. Flying seems to kick up LE for many of us, so it is better to prevent than deal with LE. it is expensive, but very worth the expense because having LE is miserable.