Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2014

Yes I tried the Mediven Harmony glove. I wear Medi-95 but they have discontinued it. The Harmony's smallest size fits my upper arm but is too big for my lower arm (which is where I have the issue). While I'm thin and small framed I'm still 5'6" with long arms. There are plenty of women with smaller fore arms than me. I'll need new sleeves in December. Not sure what I'll do now that Medi-95 has been discontinued.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2014

I give up on 'stylish' sleeves...as you recall I tried 3 different size LympheDiva Sleeves-they were just too tight.

I then noticed that Juzo made a Tie Dye sleeve (the same sleeve I always wear in 'ugly brown wrapper')   Of course this sleeve should work- Its the same!  Well it doesnt.  Yes, I am not happy & annoyed.  How can they sell the same sleeve- size/compression & have it so off!  If it shrinks when they dye it they need to account for this & make it so it fits right!

I wore it last night for 1 hour.  I was stupid & left the house with it on...So it was all I had & it killed my arm the whole time.  Was way to tight.  I know I would have been better off takign it off- But my Arm that has not seen the sun in 2 years is ugly underneith & I was out in public listening to music- so I kept it on- we even left early because of the stupid sleeve.

My arm is much worse today- worse then it has been in a very long time.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited August 2014

Have have the same issue with sleeves - the best I can do is the color juzo.. and NOW I have to go get a custom sleeve.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2014

:(   GmaFoley.   A company should be able to make the same sleeve correctly in different dyes, etc.

Sorry you have to get a custom.  Hope they can get it right on the 1st try

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited August 2014

I was told with Juzo they all start white and are dyed.........I'm not so sure about that.  Dejaboo, that's too bad you had to leave the music early.  We can all relate.  I was never able to wear off the shelf but when Juzo gets the fit right with my customs I'm pleased with the way they feel.  When I get a new sleeve I never wear it when I'm not going to be around home.     

• gmafoley
    edited August 2014

Marple, you are correct - When I get a colored one, I have to wait 2 weeks because the dye them on order.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited August 2014

That's right, they dye them on order. I do wonder too about shrinking. It seems like my gray tie-dye is ok, but the blue is tighter??? It's been tolerable but I am wondering.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited August 2014

I don't need my gauntlet anymore!!  Can I trust it??   My first major flareup started 19 months ago about 5 months after cancer treatment ended - hands, fingers, arm, body--wrapped, wrapped, and wrapped.  Treatment, treatment, treatment.   I've worn the gauntlet and sleeve or wrapped for the entire 19 months. 

About a week ago I stopped wearing it as for the last 3 months I didn't notice any swelling in my hand or fingers, even in hot weather.  It has been absolutely fine.  Even if I'm doing heavier work, typing a lot on computer, gardening, lifting, whatever!  My rings fit either hand although I don't wear rings on LE hand.

It feels so wonderful without the gauntlet I am just leery about trusting it!!  Can I trust it??  Sure hope so!  That makes Lymphedema about 50% more tolerable for me.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2014

I just lost a gauntlet so I may be trying without, too. It has to be in the house somewhere but I can't find the darn thing. ...

• lago
    edited August 2014

Denise-G I stopped wearing my glove because my MD said I didn't seem to need it… my hand never swelled. I haven't worn one in years. I still have the glove with me at work though just in case. I preferred the glove. The gauntlet made it difficult to type because it squished my fingers together. 

• gmafoley
    edited August 2014

I truthfully wouldn't trust it if you are doing any repetitive work.. It only takes one day and you can be in trouble.. especially if you are wearing a sleeve.  I have truncal and upper arm LE and even when I wear my sleeve without the gauntlet - swell does creep up.. Just remember, dilligence is what keeps you safe... if you are doing anything strenuous, I suggest you wear both sleeve and gauntlet.

• denise-g
    edited August 2014

Thanks, ladies, for the thoughts and advice!   I asked my therapist today and she said "proceed with caution" but any hard work, wear the gauntlet.  I'm going to enjoy every moment without it!

Jeannie57 - I know, I am down to one - used to have two.  It has to be in the house somewhere - LOL!

• lago
    edited August 2014

I will admit I wear my sleeve everyday. Haven't had an issue since I was first diagnosed. Went to PT and that was it. 10 days ago I lifted some groceries or maybe it was the container of water but my arm swelled for the first time in years. It took a week to get it to go back down. My swelling is only noticeable to the trained eye though. Not as bad as others have it.

So I agree that even if you are wearing your garments you could have an issue. 

• denise-g
    edited October 2014

Everyone has been quiet!  I guess that is good news!  Turning cold here in Ohio.

Ahhh, my sleeve is nicely hidden under my clothing.   So nice - no questions!!

• lago
    edited October 2014

I'm see my LE MD  this week. Will be buying new sleeves. Not sure what brand now that Medi 95 is gone and the new ones are too big through the wrist for me. Anyone find anything similar?

• gmafoley
    edited October 2014

I tried a custom juzo - still not right.. I'm starting to feel it wasn't worth the extra money. I just seemed to trade one issue for another... "wrists too large for the upper arm size.. in the non custom.. the custom one fits in the forearm but loose in the elbow and slides down in the upper arm... GRRRRR  - oops wrong topic. LOL.

• lago
    edited October 2014

No right topic. Thanks for the feedback. I hope I don't have to go custom. It doesn't make sense that I would.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2014

I am seeing a LE therapist tomorrow for treatment and she already told me I would be wearing a custom when the treatment is over. I so much appreciate all the comments I have read here.

I guess my one question is, since I am new to this, if it feels wrong, too tight, pinches, do you wear it anyway? I do wear a jobst with the  silicon beads to hold the sleeve up when my arm is noticeable, and my arm aches in it. Especially in my arm pit, but I just have to pull it off.

So I guess my question is how much discomfort do we have to put up with in wearing a sleeve? Does the sleeve/glove/gauntlet make you feel better or worse?

• lago
    edited October 2014

I wear my sleeve daily. My arm feels better with it on. If it's too tight it can cause more problems and not be helping you at all. My first sleeve was too short and had the silicone beads on it. I didn't wear it. When I went to the LE therapist she was the one who told me. First of all I didn't need the silicone beads that were irritating my skin. She said that unless you have really big arms you most likely don't need them. (Actually she said unless you have Oprah arms, LOL). I exchanged the sleeve for a long one with no beads and have been wearing them for the past 3 years. 

Some of these places will sell you what they have in stock. That's what happened the first time. I never went back to that place after the exchange.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2014

crystal, these sleeves feel weird, because we're not used to wearing skin-tight garments. They can also be hot in summer and feel cold in winter. BUT…they should not hurt or pinch or cause fingertips to turn strange colors or create raw areas at the elbow or between the fingers. Since I have truncal LE as well, a too-tight-at-the-top sleeve can cause aching or pain in my axilla and chest. All of that indicates a need to adjust the fit of the garment. 

More garment fit information here:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/proper_fitting_of_l...

Keep us posted

Hugs,
    Binney

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2014

I have new health insurance and have to find out their coverage for sleeves. I need to order new ones next month. I have been spoiled---3 bilateral sets (Lymphedivas) every six months. But I don't really think anyone with lymphedema can be spoiled....

• lago
    edited October 2014

Wow. I believe I'm covered (for 2 bilateral) every 6 months once my deductible is met. Then covered at 100%

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2014

I'm in the middle of switching insurance companies and my fitter says the new one will cover custom but not off the shelf.  Lymphedivas and juzo (wide) with the shoulder strap have been the only two I've had even some luck with, as I'm compression sensitive.  The regular juzos make my arm cold even though my upper arms are technically "regular" size.   I'm actually not wearing anything now due to an ulnar nerve injury, but am restarting PT for my shoulder so need a functional sleeve to at least wear there and hopefully more once my nerve heals.  I was wondering, though, if anyone has had experience switching from circular knit sleeves to flat knit sleeves (which it seems like some custom sleeves are?) and if it was better or worse for your symptoms?  My only experience so far with flat knit was a custom glove that made my fingers very purple very fast :(.  What brand do you use for custom?  I know we're all different, but just looking for some ideas! Thanks!

• lago
    edited October 2014

floaton do they cover 100% for custom? If not it could end up costing you more for custom then purchasing off shelf full price. If I don't meet my deductible it's actually cheaper for me to purchase my sleeves online (and that includes the shipping cost).

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2014

Lago, that's a good point, I'll have to see if they can tell me more about the frustratingly invisible fine print on that one.  When I called to ask before we enrolled they said sleeves are covered at 100% but then when I talked to my fitter she said, sort of, and told me some of the experiences she'd had with this company.  Plus it's always different depending on the specific policy, so it's so hard to know.  We'd been planning on trying a custom for me anyway for various reasons, but it helps to know ahead of time if it'll be covered (and how much) or not. 

• gmafoley
    edited October 2014

i have to buy $2000 worth of sleeves before my insurance pays. BTW my custom sleeve Costs $100 over the otc sleeve.

• lago
    edited October 2014

By any chance floaton do you have Aetna? I was told the same thing by my fitter about Aetna. It does depend on your plan. Mine covers 100% after my  high deductible is met. Just had a Prolia shot yesterday so my deductible has been met!

• daisydoo100
    daisydoo100 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2014

daisydoo100 wro

I just got my sleeve and glove today and was given no instructions on how many hours a day I am supposed to wear it. They put it on me today approx 11am this morning and by approx 8 tonight I had to take it off. I felt like it was cutting off my circulation. Is this normal ?

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2014

Floaton, I'm compression sensitive to, and I do well with Gottfried. The fabric works well for me. Your fitter can ask for fabric (and color) samples so you can compare brands. 

Daisydoo, hello, and welcome! I'm sorry you were given so little help with your new garments. Have you been treated by a well-qualified lymphedema therapist? If not, here's now to find one near you:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified...

As for proper fitting and use of sleeves, here's information that might help:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/proper_fitting_of_l...

When you have new garments you should never wear them more than an hour or two at first and work up gradually. Ouch

Gentle hugs,
    Binney

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited October 2014

Hi daisydoo. I would call your PT to ask about that and the timeline. Also call the person who fit your sleeve. My sleeve and glove felt really tight at first, but it shouldn't be so tight that it cuts off your circulation.

This is a good website to check out: 

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/sleeves_gauntlets_f...