Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Survivors!!!

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited October 2015
    Options

Many here have donated . Thank you !........Wandering around and cheerleading again :)

Donate today, make a difference directly in all our lives. By supporting BCO, we support each other. Thanks and Hugs :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/110/topic/834331?page=1

Link to the mainboard donation page

https://secure3.convio.net/bco/site/Donation2?df_i...

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2015
    Options

Ramols, I totally agree! Maybe we should make a list of all the women on here that were under 50 at dx and found through mammo or dr exam, having no idea anything was there. I'm sure it would be a long list! And send it to those morons. How easy it is for them to say "it only saves a few additional lives", well, if you are one of those lives, it is a big deal!

I was lax about mammos because I was "low risk" and felt perfectly fine and knew that some Drs recommend waiting till 50, so it wasn't a high priority. Quite the shock when that "routine" mammo found cancer...... and it had already spread to lymph nodes. If we had found it another year or two later where would I be now? Hate to think.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited October 2015
    Options

I agree. My DH said it tonight - can you imagine if you waited like they're suggesting? I looked at him and said I don't want to go there.

I put off my Mammo and when I did finally get it that's when they found it. Not by an exam. God help these woman who follow these guidelines. I hope their daughters don't look at them and say "can I get it?" like mine did just yesterday.

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1. I agree, Ramols - and so frustrating that so much money is going towards early detection/awareness and these are the recommendations they are coming out with - I also am concerned with the numbers of young women being diagnosed. You would think that common sense would suggest a screening mammogram by age 30. Identify those with dense breasts and other risk factors for closer follow up, including clinical exams. The hormones of pregnancy can really accelerate tumor growth in ER/PR BC, wouldn't it make more sense to more closely monitor this age group? Makes me wonder if the insurance companies are behind the recommendations.
  • ramols
    ramols Member Posts: 310
    edited October 2015
    Options

You are so right, Websister. I might have been a bit overactive in the comments thread on that article. Winking One of the things I wrote was this:

"We need to ask ourselves - if we know our current screening methods are not truly effective, why isn't that research money and time being spent on finding better screening methods rather than figuring out ways to modify timelines for the admittedly poor tools that exist today? And while we are at it - why not really focus on the causes of cancer. Lax environmental laws and FDA rules play a big role here - yet none of the big money in the cancer industry seems to be spent in that arena."

Young women have never - to my eyes - been a true consideration in all the research that is done. And if you look at the fact that they typically have more aggressive disease and catch theirs later in the progression of the disease - it sure feels like it would be worth putting some research dollars. If anything - for the money hungry people behind all of this - save the countless dollars spent on aggressive and expensive treatment for these women, and instead spend a fraction of it on new screening methods.

Sigh...

• ual0307
    ual0307 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2015
    Options

ladies I have to argue a bit....

I started mammos at 40. Was diagnosed with stage3a idc seven months after my seventh clean mammo and exam. I found the lump myself and did NOT rush back because I had just had one.

Stats I read are that the death rate is staying the same. What's increasing is the number of MX. Biopsies and mammos. I'm not sure that if a sister was diagnosed with stage 0 I recommend she treat it.

I agree with improving screening but knowing what I know now, I'd tell women to wait until 50

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    edited October 2015
    Options

I started at 40 also, but I don't agree with the guideline change.  I had a cyst found in 2005 when I was 43, and again it showed up in 2006, Dr. suggested only yearly mammograms, they never biopsied the cyst, saw it on mammogram and ultrasound, assuming it was benign.  I put off having mammograms until 2012 not only did I have Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) I also had Invasive Ductal Carcinoma...I think these cysts should not be ignored and 40 should still be the standard.

• toto06
    toto06 Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2015
    Options

I found a lump in 2010 at 44 years. If I hadn't...... I shudder to think..... because where I come from (Ireland) you first get screened at 50 years. Ironically, bearing in mind that I am still not 50 and yet my first diagnosis has grown legs!! I think yearly screening should be available to women from at least the age of 40.

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited October 2015
    Options

Wow I think it's been ages since I've been in our group page! Life has continued on, I currently have a freshman in college and a freshman in high school. 😞

I'm going to jump in on the ACS guidelines. I understand where the ACS is coming from with the radiation exposure. What I don't understand is what they call false/positives. If you are having other testing it wouldn't be a false/positive. According to the ACS guidelines is that it is less likely for a person under the age of 50 to be diagnosed with BC. Well I'm calling bullshit on that one. I was dx'd 4 days after my 35th birthday with a high stage 2 low stage 3. If my tumor had been another cm bigger I would have the full blown stage 3 diagnosis which would entail chemo and rads. Of the women I have come to know over the last 3 years 15 of us are under age 50. Of those 15 8 of us were under 40 when diagnosed BC. If I had waited until the ACS guidelines to get my mammogram I would not have made it. It would be a good chance that I would have been metastatic because I had NO symptoms to begin with. I make short term goals because I want to make sure that if anything else happens, I'm reaching my goals. My first ST goal was to see my son graduate HS. My 2nd goal was to see my baby sister become a mom and she did to twins in June. My 3rd goal is to see my daughter graduate HS in 4 years. Never in my life did I think I would ever be making ST goals rather than LT goals. This year my husband and I celebrated our 14th anniversary, I am so blessed to have him by my side.

Hope everyone is doing well. Here is a picture of my twin niece and nephew. image

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited October 2015
    Options

chrisrenee77....such sweet baby twins! I have identical 22 year old girls...our double blessings...twins are awesome! Like you, I make short term goals and often find myself telling my kids things and teaching them life skills in a crash course fashion...I feel the need to throw a lot at them all of a sudden because of my cancer. My short term goal is to see all of my kids married...that should happen within the next 5 years...also to make retirement in 4 years and enjoy a few years of it with my husband...when I get to that goal, I will make more...like you...short term...it's sad to me, but I don't go there...I just stay busy! Congrats on making your goals a reality! Rosie

• loral
    edited October 2015
    Options

chrisrenee- Congratulations Aunty, how lucky is she to have a boy and a girl...how is your nephew that was injured in the tractor accident, so cute is he..just wondering. Glad you are doing well, keep those goals coming, praying you'll meet many more of them.

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited October 2015
    Options

Loral- thank you! They were IVF babies both wanted and loved before they were even implanted. They are perfect. Alex is doing great! He's in the process of getting his 2nd prosthetic because he's growing so much. He doesn't let the fact he only has one leg get the best of him. He is in the 3rd grade. Here is a current picture of him. image

• loral
    edited October 2015
    Options

Chrisrenee...Thank you for the picture, I'm glad he is doing good, and oh so smiley!  You are fortunate to have so much love around you...Stay well. 

• Believe777
    Believe777 Member Posts: 540
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hello Strangers! I've been so bad about posting but you are always in my heart.

Christy- I love his smiling face! Such a cutie.

Our Sacramento house sold and closed. We've been in Laughlin just over a month. Still unpacking because we bought another house. The weather is perfect and we are loving it here.

I agree recent changed to mammogram dates are awful. So many people have told me there is a cure for cancer, or there could, be but they make too much money treating it... Isn't that the worst logic? We must continue to be our own best advocates.

Hugs to all! I will check in more often once we are a little more settled.

• mcook301
    mcook301 Member Posts: 314
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi ladies - man it had been forever since I have been on here! I miss you all! Just catching up on everyone. 

• mcook301
    mcook301 Member Posts: 314
    edited November 2015
    Options

Wow did I miss so much! I feel so selfish jumping in here and bouncing stuff all of you. So lately I have been feeling like ass, to put it bluntly.  I went to see a new doctor, due to my hair falling out and skin looking like crap. Long story short and I figured this might be the reason my TSH levels were high for my Thyriod. But my new doctor - didn't even call me. He just sent me a prescription to my pharmacy. I have some side effect from my meds and my face is so puffy. I have been trying to find a new doctor to help me. Question? Anyone else here have issues with Thyriod and can guide me on where to go for help? I think I have a lot of PTSD and avoid doctors appointments lately. Also, I think these new meds are making me go coo coo for coco puffs:) I just cry and put on a game face lately but I look so bad it had affected a lot of things. Thought maybe one of you have experience with this ? 

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi McCook - good to hear from you, sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. I don't have experience with them but hopefully someone else here can help. I have heard that some people have had improvement with doctors that practice functional medicine - definitely sounds like you could use a new docto

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2015
    Options

I miss you all too and it nice to hear a little of what is happening 3+ years down the road. Chrisrenee, love the photos. I just reread your post about the guidelines and your own experience. For those of you who were under 40 it is so different with the recommendations and clearly I am thankful that you and so many young women were diagnosed early!

It brings back different memories for me as like so many, I had a mammogram 7 months before my dx and was told all clear and come back in 3 years. Always the situations individual to each of us. But that being said, I am only just a few months past dwelling on my BC and credit more mindfulness and antidepressants~I still think that the Anastrozole has a role in my depression and anxiety but won't know that until I stop taking it at the end of 5 years or 10 depending on guidelines.

McCook, seems that thyroid issues are more prevalent for us and hope you can find out more.

Websister, how are you?

SmileMarian

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited November 2015
    Options

hi ladies. I've been totally slacking. Traveling for business and living life.

Ramols: I totally agree with you and was just as irate to anyone who would listen. That's just total bullshit!!!!

Christenee: cute babies. Enjoy them whe they are little.

Mcook; you know the the drill. Suck it up and advocate for yourself damn it! We don't take shit lying down around here!!!!

Ual: if I go to the dentist and he says I have no cavities, but I feel a hole in my tooth I don't ignore it. I go back and insist he look at that specific tooth. Just saying.

Believe; glad your settling in. Hope you're unpacked by 2016!

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hello everyone. So happy to see us enjoying life.

McCook - I have hypothyroidism. I was dx'd in 2002 with thyroid cancer (stage 1 papillary) and had the whole thing removed. I take synthroid daily and twice a year see an endocrinologist to make sure my levels are good. Now at one point I tried taking the generic version of my meds and after a couple of weeks I broke out head to toe in hives. So scary I went to the ER. They were so bad that when I was waiting to be seen there was a lady and her son next to me and she actually moved him away like I had leprosy! Needless to say no more generic meds! Definetly have hair and skin problems. About 3 years after my dx I developed vitiligo. So my suggestion is to find a good endocrinologist and get a full thyroid panel work up and like Juneau said we are our own advocates!

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2015
    Options

oh and one more thing ladies - get your eyes checked! I am in the process of cataract surgeries - left one done and the right being done in December. My dr told me it was caused by the high doses of steroids I took during treatment

• loral
    edited November 2015
    Options

Karen- and Tamoxifen if you take it...........

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2015
    Options

oh yes that lovely drugDevil

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2015
    Options

Well what an age its been since I said hello to you all. Life moves on eh? So HELLO. Glad that most of you are still doing well - good luck mcook.

Enjoyed a very busy summer and now getting ready to hunker down for Winter.

Just spent 3 weeks in England for my Uncle's funeral. He led a great long life, was 88 in pretty good health and still lived in his own apt. Died quickly of a massive heart attack. Its how I would love to go and at 88.

Do not post but still think of you all and how we supported each other during our darker times and still would if needed. Glad life is moving on.

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited November 2015
    Options

Really...tamoxifen screws with our eyes too!?! No wonder I can't see shit anymore. I just got new glasses two weeks ago. I have a full Rx now (not just reading). I'm even losing my distance sight!!! Damn freaking cancer

• Believe777
    Believe777 Member Posts: 540
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes! I agree - arimidex messes with your eye sight too. The gift that keeps on giving, but at least we are all still here to complain about it.

If we are lucky, we will be finished unpacking by 2016. We are making progress. We can now fit our two cars in the garage at the same time! I hope we stay here forever. We just love it and are looking forward to our family coming to visit for the holidays.

Some habits die hard. We've been invited to friends for thanksgiving dinner. I'm taking cookies.

I love visiting here and seeing that we may not visit often, we are still all connected.

Hugs to all.

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2015
    Options

I try to look at the bright side. My vision was getting so bad that I wasn't going to be able to get contacts anymore because they don't make them in my strength. I need toric lenses for astigmatism.

Believe - I'm looking forward to the holidays too. I love all the baking. Pizelles, rainbow bars, almond cookies, baklava- you name it I'm baking it!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited November 2015
    Options

How are all my good friends who have been so supportive and understanding of my absence as I fought to help my dear sweet husband fight his brain cancer? I can't begin to tell you how much I miss him but do feel so fortunate to have had him 39 years and that his final days we were so blessed with them being pretty peaceful.

Believe so glad you are all moved in and getting settled! That is so fantastic. I wear my bracelets often particularly since I have my angel watching over me now. You are just so thoughtful and spoil us.

My son invited my Dad and I to eat at he and his fiances house this year for Thanksgiving as I have had dinner at my house the 39 nine years since I got married. We are hoping it makes it a little easier as we are such a small family we are hoping that maybe changing the scenery this year will help a bit.

Well it was so nice to see everyone checking in even McCook who had taken a leave of absence from posting way back when I was still on frequently. I hope you are all well and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• loral
    edited November 2015
    Options

2Fried...I am really sorry to hear about your husband, just remember to look back, memories always remain in life. 
    My heartfelt condolences are with you and your family. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thank you so much Loral . Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.