Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2016

Linda, 6 years wonderful. Gives us great hope. Just had my port removed. I left it in for 4 cycles of Zometa, 6 months apart. Supposed to reduce the risk of bone mets over 10 years by 30%. After the last one and a neg breast MRI it was time to come. I will miss the convenience of it for blood draws.

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited April 2016

Crazywabbit - how was the Zometa? I'm due to go on that this year Any SE?

• Crazywabbit
    edited April 2016

absolutely none. Just be well hydrated ahead of time and that day. Are you getting the 4 doses 6 months apart? I had to battle my insurance to cover it since it was not for mets but to prevent them. Luckily my bone density qualified me for 3/4 of them. Not sure how they got the second one in the same calendar year covered.

I am planning on going on prolia the end of the year. It is FDA approved for prevention of osteoporosis for women on AIs and there arealso studies showing lower cancer recurrences on it.

• el_tigre
    edited April 2016

From what I understand, yes, 4 doses and I'm sure my insurance will deny it. :)

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2016

my insurance covered zometa ... hang in there maybe yours will too

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited April 2016

I am to start preventative Zometa this summer too after I complete Taxotere. How much is this going to run me if my insurance denies? My bathroom remodel that I promised myself after beating a recurrence or my husband's shed so he has a place to hide during my hot flashes from my ooph? :) I already robbed my retirement to remodel the kitchen after I beat this first time four years ago. No regrets. We still have my husband's retirement and if I live long enough to run out, in 25 years I'll be happy to become a Walmart greeter!

• Crazywabbit
    edited April 2016

My Blue Shield report - the chargeand what they actually paid for one Zometa infusion

$3,399.86.

$1,824.37
  • fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2016

What? Why is insurance denying meds like Zometa? It just drives me crazy!

• el_tigre
    edited April 2016

I think mine is just a deny first and look into it later LMAO

• stillhere61
    stillhere61 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016

Hi everyone. I am new to these boards but I'm 8 years out from my diagnosis. I just had a mets scare and found this site. It has been very comforting, supportive and kept me from going insane while waiting for "the call"

I had horrible back pain so an MRI was done. No bone mets BUT they picked up a liver "undetermined" lesion. CAT scan with contrast (which I cried thru...just because it brought it all back)..4 days..and a very good call...lesions were not cancer and "unremarkable" I love being unremarkable, lol.

Breast cancer took my breasts, my estrogen and my belief that life was under my control.

Side effects from chemo and hormone therapy took my ability to work full time and the feeling in my fingers and feet.

Surviving cancer brought me perspective, inner strength, friends/sisters in support group, appreciation for the small things and the ability to see my 3 kids grow up into young adults. It also made me a bad ass in a good way!!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558
    edited April 2016

Love that story, Stillhere! You're an inspiration!

• Crazywabbit
    edited April 2016

glad to hear your scans turned out OK. I really hate that every twinge raises the fear of recurrences, always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2016

Hi Stillhere

Thank you for coming back and posting. Love to hear these survival stories.

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2016

hi stillhere. Glad you found the board and a big Congratulations on 8 years. Thanks for sharing your story with us. It means so much. Keep coming back......

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2016

congratulations! And thank you for finding us and sharing your experience ๐Ÿ’™

Maggs

• Madicyn
    Madicyn Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2016

Six years ago I heard the words, "you have cancer." Here I am, alive and feeling great. I appreciate each day I'm alive and try not to think too much about future "what ifs." Today is what counts. Thanks to all of the others who give me inspiration with their survival stories.

• Bonniebreastcancer
    Bonniebreastcancer Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016

I am recently diagnosed with stage 3 bc at 36 years old and 3 small children. I was diagnosed at stage 0 DCIS and decided on a double mastectomy. During my surgery they found 9 lymph nodes involved and a 4 cm mass. I am still in shock this was all missed with all my scans and biopsys prior to surgery. I have completed 4 treatments of AC and 2 of 4 of Taxotere and hercepton and pertuzanab. I have so many mixed feelings right now and think every ache and pain is met. My mom died from cancer at 40 so hard not to think of. Reading these stories has given me hope I will beat this and be here to watch my kids grow. I just pray everyday!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558
    edited May 2016

Bonniebreastcancer-

Welcome to BCO! We're sorry you find yourself here, but we're glad you've joined us, and hope you find this community to be a source of support and encouragement. We know the first weeks and months after diagnosis can be scary, but just know that you're not alone! Good luck with the rest of your treatment, we're all here for you!

The Mods

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2016

Bonniebreastcancer - Sending you all the best!!ย  What a shock for you!!ย  There are many inspiring and

miraculous stories here to give you hope, encouragement and courage!ย ย 

• Bonniebreastcancer
    Bonniebreastcancer Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016

thank you for sharing. I was diagnosed in January of 2016 with 9 pos nodes. My youngest is 6 and I am so scared I will not be here to see my 6,8 and 11 year old grow. Stories like yours give me hope.

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2016

Hi

Everyone awesome surival stories really incouraging.

I started out with Stage 1 no nodes. Now I have skin mets and node envolvement . The skin mets apprears to be confusing me The skin mets happened 2 mos after TCH.. Does anyone know anyone with skin mets who has a positive story.

Ive had 3 reccurences . Now have the axilla nodes lighting up on the pet.

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2016

Reading this is so comforting. I think my most immediate concern right now is - or my greatest comfort is - knowing that this whole thing actually ends. That people actually moves on and become happy. I just can't imagine it right now, and I started out with such a great attitude, everyone remarked on it.

Now I can barely get out of bed.

I don't want to do radiation. Is it going to give me that much of a benefit? I never ever wanted to do Tamoxifen, or anything of its ilk. Am I going to live that much longer?

I just don't get the cost/benefit analysis of anything beyond chemo, MX, and the lymph node removal - and really not lymph nodes, since only the the sentinel node had any bit of cancer ini

It really, really makes me happy to hear your stories. I feel like such a tainted, dirty, alien.

<3 Much love

• Milwmama
    Milwmama Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2016

Frill, here's my thoughts on it. If there is a chance that the bastard is hiding anywhere, fry it, remove it, choke it with meds, do whatever it takes to make sure it does not rear it's ugly head again. If I'm unfortunate enough that it comes back again, fry it, remove it, kill it with meds, do whatever it takes to get rid of it.

I have far too much life left to let this rob me of those moments. I have surgery coming up and it scares the shit out of me, but I'm not letting it stop me.

I have been on the couch crying from being sick of being sick, and I've been on beautiful Spring motorcycle rides in the Wisconsin countryside. Enjoy your life.

You are not tainted, dirty (unless you haven't showered yet๐Ÿ˜Ž), nor an alien...(are you? ๐Ÿ‘ฝ). You are a beautiful woman that is dealing with an ugly disease.

Now get out of bed, take a shower and go see Finding Dory, laughter is good for the soul. And for goodness sake, EAT THE POPCORN! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited June 2016

milwmama,

Thanks for that. I just finished 4 of 4 taxotere after 10/14 node dissection for recurrence. I had radiation after surgery since the dummies didnt do it the first time. I also had full hysterectomy since it was still er positive even though I was on tamoxifen. Now it will be an AI for eternity....I solidered on thru treatment, exercising, staying positive thankful that I, not the doctors, caught it before it spread..but since treament no 4... I am exhausted. Despite capping I have very little troll hair left. Im sore, I ache , Im wondering if I brought myself six months or six years. The tank is empty. Thank you for the feisty note and reminder to get out there and live.

• Milwmama
    Milwmama Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2016

7of9-I'm going for six years or better for you. So many on here have proven there is life after/with cancer. I hope that your exhaustion subsides and you are able to get out and live. There is so much out there to do.

I have my surgeon meeting Tuesday. I am getting a double mastectomy and ovaries removed. Take it all, I don't need or want it if it can cause reoccurence. Might throw me into menopause which should be a real treat, already have days I feel on fire. ;)

Do have to get off my ass more tho, always been a problem for me......and booze. I do live in Wisconsin........

I've told all my friends, if they see me getting into a funk or just down and out, slap me back to reality. Life needs to be lived even if it's at a slower pace.

You CAN do this.

• mmac
    mmac Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2016

I have been watching these posts and am so excited to say today is my 5 year anniversary of being diagnosed with Stage IIIc breast cancer. I have been through many ups and downs and have some long lasting pain issues, but I am so happy to be here. My faith, family and friends have helped get me here. My grandchildren have been my inspiration and I plan to be posting in the 10 years andout category in five years!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited June 2016

I wish there was a "love" button for these posts. They fill me with hope.

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2016

MMac I'm thrilled to see your post, especially as a triple-positive Stage III survivor. I have been lurking here for about 6 months now, and haven't seen many triple-positive ladies at Stage III post here (I do follow the triple positive board too.) Just last week I got my path report after my re-excision and ALND, and extremely happy to report there is no evidence of disease after the last 6 months of chemo. Three of the eight nodes removed had "treatment effect," which most likely means there was pCR. I cannot wait to post here five years from now. :) So thank you!

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2016

mmac. Yahoo! Congrats. Keep coming back and posting. Hugs....

• oaktownmom
    oaktownmom Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2016

Five years (and one day) ago I was plunged into the world of breast cancer at the ripe old age of 39. I went into surgery thinking I was Stage 1, and woke up to the sobering news of Stage 3. My kids were 7, 5 and 2 at the time, and I had many dark days when I thought I wouldn't live to see them grow up. I am so grateful to have made it to this point, and for every day of these past five years! My oldest just finished his first year of middle school, I've watched my younger son start and and nearly compete elementary school, and my baby - who was still in a crib when I was disgnosed - is now a newly minted 2nd grader. I have loved, laughed and LIVED my way through the last five years, and I'm aiming for 50 more! My first post on this site in 2011 was "Terrified - Need Hope." For those newly diagnosed, I'm still standing, and here to tell you that there is indeed hope!