Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2013

GMA........no insurance at all.....wow...that is tough.......what about the (please don't take this the wrong way).....the public assistance from the state.....will this Obamacare thing help you.........just stand your ground with the Doctor.....hugs

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013

Wait a minute, I missed something Foley u don't have insurance.--well there has to be something u can do like /ducky said-other people seem to always have it, somehow it has to work out for u. This is chit

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited December 2013

Nope - even with all my doctor bills, we make too much money and its going to cost us $1100 a month for insurance. We don't qualify for assistance.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited December 2013

I need to see my new PCP tomorrow. The vampire in his office is too full of himself. I'm going to tell doc my cow died, I don't need his bull. Have him back off, or I'm gone.

Shells, they just don't understand do they? 75 is coolish, 60 sends us for jackets.

• camillegal
    edited December 2013

OMG that's horrible, costs so much. I know it's better than what everything costs but still--that's the big reason my sister is still working cuz of insurance, she's 74 but the add on is a lot for the 2 of them-but I think in the next year she's going to retire anyway she's had it. But she's still concerned cuz they're not rich.And the 2 of them are a mess my BIL has heart bypasses, diabetis some kind of back thing, and my sister is Stge IV so people can't afford all this and live like they planned. I don't know what most people can do now.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited December 2013

yeah Cami, quite a few here are getting screwed by Obamacare. Foley's loss of insurance is following the same route as thousands and thousands in the USA. There insurance is being cancelled b/c obacare was supposed to have the "marketplace for avordable care" up and running for enrollment in September.

Employers could get off the hook of or for providing insurance by many routes--firing people, reducing them from fulltime to part time status. The Obamacre enrollment is a fiasco. Instead of monthly affordable rates------nope, people are in threat of losing everything.  It'll be the cause of the next recession. In the mean time disaster after disaster.

BUT the government let the employers off the hook by passing a law that allows them to not have to comply with the law until 2015. But not us.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013

Foley it's not a now answer, but you could apply for SSDI. The medical insurance doesn't kick in for two years. That is also on the stupidest legislation list. People are applying for disability b/c they ARE disabled from something, It has to be proven to be disabled, then deny them medical care for 2 years. If someone can explain that there is any logic to it, please, try?

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013

Cami Mary's losing hers too, if I've got it right.

• camillegal
    edited December 2013

Chit.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited December 2013

It's true if you apply for SSDI you will be denied the 1st time, unless you have certain "high priority" issues. Stage 4 ca and end stage renal disease. Then it depends on your state. Those with a high volume of applicants take more time. If you really want to speed the process, get an attorney for the first try. You only pay if you win.

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013

GMA.....have you applied for Obamacare.......go on the website, or call....if you have not done this....do it now......you will not know what is out there until you check it out....if you already did, then ok, but don't assume there is nothing for you......

After my husband died his union covered me for 1 year.....then I was on my own.....I was only 56, so a far cry from Medicare, and had a part time job at GSK....hiring was frozen at the time, so I stayed at what I was doing, but wished I had taken the fulltime job they had offered me before he died, but he was more important at the time....insurance still that time was high....I kept looking until I found something that I could afford....and I finally did........

Then SB, merged with Glaxo-Welcome.....they said no one would be let go, and the city of Phila fell for that bullshit.....I didn't...within 1 year they began out sourcing the work......by the time they hit our Dept I was 60, so I retired and took my husband's sociall security............that was a joke, but it was money.......so I know how tough things can be.........and the amazing thing was...had my husband lived to retire he would have gotten $2,700 a month pension....I got and still get $469.00......hard to believe since he worked his ass off for the union for 33 years.....good to the members.......shit to the widows, so everything he worked for other then that small pension they gave me was lost.."...and today it is still the same amount...not a dime more....well new widows get more cause pensions have increased, but still nothing like the members get if they retire..oh well at least it's something.....

Sorry for rambling......but make a phone call......it will be worth trying if you haven't......just see what they tell you......good luck.....

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013

Ducky, I did. $1100/Month for DH and I. Can't afford it. Can't make payments.

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited December 2013

Okay - I finally got a rise outta y'all Chillygirls. So glad you got a laugh out of my conversation with the Shuttle driver in Oregon: "Lady, it's below freezing over here...have him wait inside."

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013

Dwilli, how are you doing, post exchange?

Shells, Forest Grove is having freezing rain. We dodged the bullet here-temp is a balmy 38, although wind chill has it down to 30

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2013

• camillegal
    edited December 2013

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2013

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013

Thought of you when I saw this. Thought you would get a kick out of this.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited December 2013

GMA....just thinking......how much do you spend for out of pocket medical costs.  As explained to me....those who had a LOT more money would not see much change when they signed up for A.C.A.  However; mid income to poor would see a lot of difference.  Also  -- not that it would necessarily help in your case, but the A.C.A. insurance also will cover you with pre-existing conditions and with no caps on your insurance ever.   I think it would be likely extremely good for many, many people.....but I do know that if you are a high income person things would not change substantially.  When Dh and I were young, we did not always have insurance either as we couldn't afford it.....but there came a time when we had to have something in order to feel confident about getting needed care that was fairly top-notch.  We are fortunate though to have not only Medicare, but the V.A. as well..........so it is not an issue for us.  If you have Medicare ( I don't know your age ) you would not need anything else for yourself I don't think.  That is what Dh and I were told.

Lilli

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433
    edited December 2013

Gma,Thank God I dug my heels in and found an insurance policy that we could do. It took awhile, cause Im sure that the insurance company didn't want you to know about it. We are also getting a subsidy this year, cause business has been so slow. I wouldn't leave it to finding things out on the web-site either, call them in person. It took us 8 hours of being on the phone and sometimes both of us on different phones to find a policy, but we finally did it. There are some of those workers who have no idea what they're doing and some who do.

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013

GMA.....understand.....just wanted to be sure you tried , and did not assume that all the banter kept you from it.......some people throw their hands in the air, and because they hate Obama and don't realize their are kinks in things, and everyone is not a genius, and mistakes are made for whatever reason, that all hope is lost.....

But you tried........

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013

Mary, I did and it comes out to basically, the same price for DH and I - $1090/month.. I guess I need to be stronger, but when you don't have it, you don't have it.

Lilli - no medicare - have 6 years to go.

I'm sorry about causing all this fuss. Thank you for all your suggestions, but I have tried everything that was said. The only way around it is to stop working, lose our home and become homeless. Sorry, #1 I can still work, I don't qualify for disability. #2 I want a roof over my head. #3 no medicare. #4 I don't qualify for assistance or tax deduction.

I'm pissed, tired, in pain and have nothing else to say.

Love you all. Thanks, but it is a done issue.

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013

Sorry GMA......bottom line,.....not poor enough for the goodies, and freebies.....not rich enough to afford what you need.......I have been there with 6 kids and an unemployed Carpenter for lack of work......which affects your health insurance .....because if you don't build your hours through work, you don't get credit toward your coverage......

I had 6 kids, and he got $300.00 a week unemployment, and minimal food stamps.....back then there was no such thing as C.H.I.P......all food for babies and kids came out of whatever money you got from the State.....I was fortunate enough to have my mother who did all she could to help.......

I just hope things work out for you.....will keep you in my prayers.....did you ever hear the saying.."THE GOOD LORD NEVER GIVES YOU MORE THEN YOU CAN HANDLE."......I hope that is true.......

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2013

Today Show had a few of the families of the Sandy Hook tragedy on a few minutes ago. Tomorrow will be the one year anniversary. Tears rolling down my cheeks...ah..so sad

Sorry Gma,,,,my job at a school district was for the medical insurance & the great hours, summers off. I am on medical leave for tx. We pay $996 for my DH & I, & that is with a school district. I have to decide if I am going back next school year. Bottom line.....if you can't get it through an employer it is out of reach for the average couple..I hope something GOOD, happens for you soon. The Hoolies are worried about ya.....

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013

GMA......Forgive me ......I know you said this is a dead issue, but is it possible just like there were problems with the web site there could be some who don't "know it all".........with regard to coverages and costs, and you got that person.........

I have found that to be true when I have dealt with people...whether a tech for your computer......a problem with a product......even my LE coverage.......and billing companies for hospitals and Doctors......I always call back a few times, hoping to get someone who cares enough to say..."hey, let me take this a step further"...........,.

We care about you, know your pissed, sick and tired if it all........but maybe if you try again someone who was really paying attention that day when they were being "taught" how to listen, and understand each person asking the hard questions, that need answers........

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited December 2013

Gma, do you have a child or a sister or a friend that could do some leg work for you??? That way you wouldn't have to be on the front lines and could save yourself the frustration??? Just thinkin!

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013

No.

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013

I have been having email conversations with my PCP this morning. We have a pain and nausea plan for the weekend and will see her on tuesday.

She wanted me to take my zofran for nausea and change away from tramadol and just take the tylenol #3s. I told her I was having trouble fasting for my labwork and she told me to do it anyway. She wants me to bring my list of no-no meds and then she told me to bring in all the meds I'm taking.. Did she mean physically, all the bottles? or just a list? I think she meant the bottles.

I really like my new PCP. She is compassionate, thorough and works with where you are, and what you need.

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013

a light at the end of the tunnel???????!??....

I would bring all the bottles...like me you might need a duffle bag, but at least if your right or wrong in your assumption, you covered all bases taking them.......good luck

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2013

Gma...YEEHA...its always easier when you know you have an appt. & are comfortable with the medical professional...

GolfGirl