Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• j1e1n1a
    j1e1n1a Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Options

Brandall- hope your scan went okay. I will be thinking of you....sending positive energy and prayers your way. Hugs.

Sar843- so sorry you are dealing with this right now. We are here for you.

Cjrt- so sorry you have to have surgery. Keep us posted...thinking of you...hugs.

msvirgo828- welcome..here for you if you want to vent. Like the fight!

Have a great night/ weekend ladies... hugs to you all.

• kmusial
    kmusial Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi

Im 29, will be 30 in May. Im kinda wondering the same thing, how many other people out there under 40 have Stage 4 breast cancer. I was diagnosed this past December with stage 4 breast cancer.  Having breast cancer really sucks but it sucks even more because nothing is really geared toward people our age.

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2013
    Options

Brandall, all the best to you! Keep us posted. I have a scan on the 20th and am praying I am still Ned.

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    Options

I was dx @29 in 2008 with Stage IV Triple Negative & BRAC 1+.  Was on chemo for 2 years, been on a chemo holiday since Oct 2009, now dealing with all the side effects from treatment and an autoimmune disorder I was dx with shortly after getting off chemo.   I currently get scanned every 3 months.

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2013
    Options

Woohoo!  Good scan results!  Still NED!!!  Not all good news, my EKG was still abnormal, I'll have a stress test done this Thursday.  My PCP doesn't think it's anything to worry about though, just a "better safe than sorry" type thing...I hope!!

aic- I'll be thinking about you and your upcoming scans!  I know how early the anxiety sets in!!

kmusial - I really didn't think there would be so many ladies under 40 with stage IV until I came on this site.  I think a lot of the reason is that breast cancer in young people is almost always the most aggressive type there is. It does suck!  I was always the youngest person in the infusion room by far!  Hugs!

• j1e1n1a
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hydeskate- sorry you have to deal with those side effects and the autoimmune disorder. CANCER SUCKS!!! Sometimes i try to lie to myself and say my life will get back to normal post chemo. Yes i know that i may be able to take chemo vacation but will always have to deal with this crap someway or another.

Sorry had to vent...time change is getting to me....didn't sleep well and lost an hour..lol.

Brandalll- Woohoo! Still Ned ...so happy for you!!!

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited March 2013
    Options

Brandall- Great news on NED! So happy for you. Hopefully you can put the heart issue to rest soon, too.

Jena- Trust me, my venting sounds a lot worse than yours. No need to apologize to this group....I'm sure we can all relate! Hugs!

• Priscilla0929
    Priscilla0929 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi. I was 32 when diagnosed 6/11. My diagnosis was Stage IV with mets to my liver. I am doing well now. Have an upcoming pET Scan next week :) How r u?

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Priscilla, good luck with your upcoming scan! I see that you are a fellow Floridian.

• DEbeachgirl
    DEbeachgirl Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    Options

Diagnosed first 11/08 at age 34 then metastasized to my bones and found out 7/11. Currently just started Aromasin and Afinitor. Arimidex stopped working after a year and faslodex failed. I'm having migraines, fatigue, and some heartburn, never had before, as SE.

Also having some anxiety, morw then usual. I had extreme anxiety and insomnia when I was on chemo. Anyone else experiencing this? I read this whole thread and I don't believe anyone has mentioned the, um, SE that effect intimacy. I have some atrophy and pain. I'm scared to use hormonal cream. Sorry to jump right in w the TMI but that stuff is the least of my oncologists worries....

Also while I'm at it, does every oncologist dismiss some side effects and leave out info? I'm on my 3rd dr bc of this problem.

• j1e1n1a
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Debeachgirl- I am currently on TAC. I also get lupron every 4 weeks. I wad also on Arimidex until a few weeks ago when mo took me off.

I have not had too many SE's yet that effect intimacy except being so damn tired.

I don't know if dismiss is the word I would use... My mo definitely leaves stuff out. Sometimes i feel like they take advantage of the fact that we are so dependent on them. I still don't know when i will get my scans and am about to have 4th infusion...little tired of him being so vague. I have not taken the medicine uou are on so can not give too much advice on anxiety. The steroids they had me on caused insomnia and edima. Hope you get everything worked out with onc.

• brandall
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi DEbeachgirl - Sorry you have to be here!  There is a whole thread on intimacy issues in the stage IV section.  Try using the search function and typing in "scream cream" that should get you to that thread.  You are definitely not alone.  I haven't had trouble yet, but I'm about to get a hysterectomy and I'm afraid that is going to start the atrophy :(  

I think lots of times the MO's don't like to mention all of the side effects because they don't want you looking for trouble if you know what I mean.  I know that if someone tells me I'm going to be nauseous, then I probably will, some of it is real and some of it is mental.  I think they would prefer you come to them with symptoms, at which time they can reassure you and say, "totally normal for chemo".  Just my thought?

J1e1n1a - Sounds like some of the fatigue is catching up with you.  Hang in there girl!

• DEbeachgirl
    DEbeachgirl Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks so much for sending me to the "scream cream" thread.  I can't wait to tell that to my new, older male onc!!!  lol 

The reason I asked about whether others had problems with their oncologists leaving things out is bc I've had to change oncologists twice bc of important ommisions that I later learned from other doctors.  My original female onc told me that chemo wouldn't effect my fertility at all after asking several questions, my husband and I, even about freezing eggs.  I was thrown into menopause, another surprise believe it or not, when I started having hot flashes that she didn't tell me about.  Those are a side effect that you don't imagine on your own.  That oncologist took off right after my treatment w/o telling some of her patients and I was then past off to her partner.  Neither of them ordered a PET scan so when I started having pain in my hip in the fall of 2010 my primary care dr ordered xrays that showed arthritis.  In July I finally had an MRI of my pelvis and they found metastasis.  My current oncologist left out the fact that the cancer was also in my spine and a left rib.  I received that info from my radiation oncologist who always told me the whole story.  Sooo, I left that practice and when to a cancer center where I thought the oncologist was more attentive.  Every time I needed a scan to check on progression she would stall and 3 times either my cancer progressed or the drug had stopped working.  Sooo, I went to the cancer center I'm at now, and they questioned the why there were such big lulls in changing treatment, so that wasn't just me, which honestly I had begun to think it was.  I ask questions, I take a list in so I don't forget bc I have horrible short term memory now.  I have a handy notebook with me all the time.  So far I love this practice.  They offer alternative treatments such as acupuncture and everyone knows me already and my case.  I'm on Aromasin and Afinitor, just started it 2 weeks ago.  I feel like crap but I felt like crap when the Arimidex was working so hopefully this is working.  I'm really glad I found this discussion board.  People seem to be a little more open then other boards I've participated in.  Thanks for the good advice so far and I'm more then willing to talk to anyone about treatments or surgery I've been through. 

• SelenaC73
    SelenaC73 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi new here 38 when dxd stage 2 dxd stage 4 triple neg a cpl weeks ago. Three teenage kids.

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Selena! Sorry about the recent diagnosis.. As you can see there are a lot of younger women dealing with the same thing. I hope you'll find lots of help and support here!!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2013
    Options

Selena - Sorry that you have to join us, but welcome at the same time! This is a great support system

DEbeach - Wow! So sorry that you've dealt with so much from your doctors. I haven't run into any major problems like that yet with my cancer treatment, but I did run into some of that before when I was having some lung/breathing problems  It is good that you are taking charge of your care and fighting for the best care possible.  I hope that this practice continues to be a good fit for you.

• brandall
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Selena, sorry you have to join us, but I've learned lots here :)

DEbeachgirl - WOW, those aren't just little side effects they are leaving out!  I'm so sorry!  At least it sounds like you've landed in a good place now!  Hugs!!

• Tammylynn
    Tammylynn Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hey ladies...I'm Tammy, I'm 39. I have had a whirlwind of a month. I found a lump, had a biopsy. At that point in time they said I was stage 2. I had a double mastectomy, had 9 / 12 lymph nodes positive. They put me at stage 3. I then had a pet scan which showed cancer in my left rib ( it was almost completely black on the scan). It showed a small met on the hip, a small one on the spine, lymph nodes in the chest and a few small spots in my lungs. I had my first chemo Friday and my nuelasta shot Saturday. I have a ten yr old. I am scared to death! I have to be there for him. I asked my dr what are my chances, she says I'm treatable...I want to scream...what does treatable mean? Does that mean I will be here for my son? I am keeping a positive attitude, I know that's important, but I am so worried about my little one!

• nbnotes
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammylynn -- So sorry about your recent mets.  Unfortunately, the doctors really can't tell us what treatable means because it depends on how our bodies respond to the various treatments.  There are a number of people on here who have mets who get to the point of No Evidence of Disease for years or who may still have to take treatments to keep things stable, but they do that for years as well. What treatments have you done or are you going to do?

I'm still relatively new with my stage iv diagnosis, and I was initially dx as stage 1 at my mastectomy.  A ptscan before chemo showed my liver mets; so, I can definitely relate to the whirlwind and confusion that you have right now.  No one can see the future, but this is a great group of people to ask questions to, get support from, and vent.  They will help in any way that they can!

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks for responding! I just had my first chemo Friday.(Adriamycin, cytoxan). I am scheduled for my second chemo on the 29th. Right now that is all I know. I have an appointment Thursday get more info on what's coming next.

• hope4acure
    hope4acure Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Options

It sucks to see new members being added to this group. I go to chemo and I get that sad face look on the older ladies faces. It does bother me that I am stage lV but i have been dealing with this since 09 and have accepted the fact that I am stage lV. Has anyone experienced this? Or they say to me you are to young tell that to my cancer.

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

My first chemo was Friday and I got the same thing. I just wanted to cry!

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2013
    Options

Same here. When I go to chemo, I am normally in there with a group of men in their 70's. We watch gun smoke and talk about the weather.

• hope4acure
    hope4acure Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammylynn I know how you feel. It has been harder each time I have gone lately ever since I had my third bout of brain mets. Been asking the why me question alot lately. Thought i was past that phase but i was wrong.

Stormynyte lol I know what you mean.

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

I know, it's justo hard reality to grasp. I am trying to be strong for myself and my family, it's just so hard! I' m thankful to have found you ladies!

• nbnotes
    edited March 2013
    Options

Wanted to share some good news -- my CEA is down to 7.2 (from 13.6) and ca27-29 is down to 40.9 (from 66.9).  So far Arimidex and the hysterectomy are doing what they should! :)

• Kaelia
    Kaelia Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Options

Cheers to your good news Nancy!!!

• j1e1n1a
    edited March 2013
    Options

Great news Nancy!! Glad things are going well.

I have my 4th infusion tomorrow...wish me luck..not looking forward to it.

Hope --I have yet to meet anyone close to my age @ treatment center. Try to pretend i am at the beauty salon...kinda feels like it until you open your eyes and everybody including yourself is bald.

Anyone's dreams messed up right now? Since i started chemo i either don't dream or can't remember....until last night. Maybe just nervous about tomorrows beauty session..lol. In my dream i went to see my orthopedic and he told me that they found ovarian cancer...why it wasn't onc i do not know.... needless to say didn't sleep well and have been moody all day. Poor husband is so good to me. Hope i don't take any stress out on him.

Have a great night ladies.

• nbnotes
    edited March 2013
    Options

Jena - good luck with your infusion!  How many treatments total are you expecting to do?

• brandall
    edited March 2013
    Options

Great news nbnotes!!!

Jena - I'm sorry :(  I haven't had too many bad dreams, but the ones that I have had about cancer have been rough and left me very scared and sad in the morning :(  Hugs!

Tomorrow I go in for my hysterectomy.  Right now I'm more stressed about the IV.  Last time it took 3 people and 6 sticks to get it in :(  I'm also nervous about the side effects, but it's for the best (I hope!).