Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• violinfingers
    violinfingers Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks for the welcome brandall and J1e1n1a! I live about an hour from Kent, went to grad school there and adjuncted there for a couple years before and after my initial dx in 2008.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    Options

hydeskate - I'm sorry that you are having to deal with Sjogrens on top of everything else.  While I haven't dealt with that, I do have interstitial cystitis (which is autoimmune) and at one point I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia though that has been retracted now.  Dealing with autoimmunes and their idiosyncracies just adds another level to the planning for the cancer which I know can be difficult to deal with. 

• nbnotes
    edited February 2013
    Options

violinfingers - What type of classes did you teach as an adjunct?  My job is adjuncting at several different schools right now teaching clarinet, music appreciation, humanities, and music education.  

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2013
    Options

Quick ? - recently diagnosed with met to the femur. Had previous ct of the brain that was clear (temporary sinus problem). Sent out my records for a research protocol and they recommend a MRI even though I don't have any symptoms. Was this recommended to any of you with bone mets? This was NOT recommended by my treatment center and now I am worried about the discrepancy.

• j1e1n1a
    j1e1n1a Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2013
    Options

When they found my bone Mets they immediately ordered 3 MRI'S (Brain-which really freaked me out, Lumbar spine, and Thoracic spine.) They found my mets on Pet scan which always glows on brain and some other organs from what i hear. I think he ordered MRI brain just to rule it out. Hope this helps. :-)

• CJRT
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks j1! Makes me feel better!

• Survivor31
    Survivor31 Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi!!

I am 31 and was dx'd 4 months ago.. I have a recently turned 9 year old daughter and this experience has been an emotional roller coaster. I have less then a month left before having my 2nd reconstructive surgery and I am frightened and relieved at the same time.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2013
    Options

Cjrt--my doc didn't recommend any scans at the beginning...just Breast MRI...it wasn't until I told him about other symptoms that he began to order every test(except brain)! I'm guessing anyone applying for a research protocol, would be subjected to lots of scans so that they have the most up to date info...they need to make sure what they are offering will work for you...that's just a guess. Sorry that it's such a scary process. Praying that the One who can grant strength and comfort will do so.

• gahinmans
    gahinmans Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    Options

Just wanted to say a quick hello! I posted on the roll call yesterday, but I'm 35 (dx'd @ 34) with two kids, daughter (3yrs) and son (15 months). I've found so much information and support on these boards. Wishing all of you well and hugs!

Erin

• violinfingers
    edited February 2013
    Options

Nbnotes, I got my MA in TESL from Kent and then I taught ESL classes there for a couple years. I was a music minor in my undergrad so it's been a while since I studied theory and all that. I have to say I'd be a bit rusty! But I can deconstruct your grammar any time :)

• violinfingers
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome Erin!

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome survivor31 and Erin...I hope you are able to find support here like i do. :-) There are so many of us here that are young and so many with young children. I have 2 children ages 9-son and 11-daughter. I too feel at times i am on an emotional roller coaster. Just have to stay grounded for my babies.

Diagnosis was in Dec 2012 for me. I am on chemo... haven't had breast surgery yet, which makes me crazy b/c to tell you the truth I want this $#/t off of me now!

Anyway just wanted to welcome to you both..lol..and say good luck survivor31 on upcoming surgery..you will be fine. I can't wait till i am done w/chemo and can have my surgery. maybe you guys will be keeping me strong when it is my turn.

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome Erin and survivor31 - sorry you have to be here, but glad there is a place where we can get support!

Texasrose - how is your little one doing?  Coming home from the hospital tomorrow I hope!!

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited February 2013
    Options

She came home last night! Overjoyed!

Hydeskate- Sorry to hear that, seems like you've got good doctors taking care of ya!

CJRT- You'll notice that when you go to one dr they reccomend one thing and another has something else in mind. TBH- i have had so many  tests done at this point i am not sure if my MRI was exactly for my met to my bones. But i do know that i have had Bone scans. its was different from my mri, this one they inject you with radioactive stuff- that actually is in a lead vial, and its more like pictures not going through the circle LOL if that makes any sense....

Survivor31- Welcome to the group. Yes a total roller coaster!

Erin welcome to our group as well... I will def check out the roll call!!! 

Just a suggestion- Maybe (if we have space) we can write in our signature lines the ages of our children if we have any, that way as new memebers come in they dont have to read through everything. (it can be overwhelming all at once) ALso i feel redundant :)

• gahinmans
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thank you for the warm welcome ladies! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Erin

• CJRT
    edited February 2013
    Options

thanks, texasrose! i spoke with my onco today and feel much better that we are on the same page. i appreciate your sharing your story too, as i have begun reading back through posts.

gahinmans- sorry to find you here but see that we have lots in common. i was 33 when diagnosed with stage 2 (though it may have been 4 at that time since i wasn't scanned). my son was 7 weeks at the time and my daughter was 3.5 years old. (they are 20 months and 5 now) i had the same chemo regimen as you did. i was just diagnosed with mets to the femur last week. here's praying for many happy years ahead with our kids keeping this monster away!

• gahinmans
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi CJRT!

Wow, we really do have lots in common - sorry that it has to be in this way though. Really sorry to hear that you were just diagnosed with mets to your femur. I've been on Xgeva since 8/12 and it's been treating me well, no SE that I can tell. I've been NED since 6/12 and was supposed to have my last Herceptin treatment last Friday, but my onc wants me to stay on it - she feels like going off at this point is asking for trouble. So, continuing on the Herceptin train, woohoo! Thinking of you and yes, praying for many, many happy years ahead with our kiddos!

Erin

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2013
    Options

Did you all hear? Tdm1 was approved today! Very hopeful that this drug will make some positive changes for some women!

• mommyjamieof2
    mommyjamieof2 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I am 30 turning 31 the 28th of feb. I was diagnosed July 2012 stage IV HER2 estrogen and progesterone positive. I was put in a clinical study with navelbine, herceptin, and pertazamub. After 5 months on the study the tumor grew so I was kicked off the study and chose to have the mastecomy then the tumor measured 2.7 cm on the ct and after removed was 6cm. This was almost 4 weeks ago and I am waiting to go to plastic surgery hopefuly soon. Right now I am on herceptin and tamoxafin hoping it keeps the disease under control. I had a lung biopsy and they found 1 cell from the 4 tissue samples they took. I have two spots on my bones one on my face and one on my tibia not sure if they are cancer or not and a 6mm spot on my liver again not sure if it is cancer or not. None of the spots changed or left during chemo. I just read about the TDM1 hoping that if I have anything on the scans scheduled for March I can do that drug. I have met way to many younger women with this horrible disease since I was diagnosed...

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome mommyjamieof2- sorry to hear of all you have been going through. Hope you are able to do your surgery soon.

Brandall is your throat any better. I am finally back to normal.

Texasrose... Glad your baby is back home. Hope you are alll doing well and taking care of yourselves.

Hope all of you are doing okay...I have been a little nervous lately wirh random aches..lol. I know it's probably just SE'S just scarred that aches could be progression.

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome gahinmans and mommyjamieof2, sorry you have to join us!

Texasrose - so glad your little one is home now!  Hope everyone is relaxing and recovering!!

kjones - I'm so happy for all the HER2+ girls!  One of my stage IV friends from the infusion room was on the trial and Tdm1 brought her to NED!  She was in BAD shape before she got on the trial!

j1e1n1a - throat is still bugging me a bit.  I'm still hoping it's RAD's induced!  I have only one more week of RADS to go!  Woohoo!  I completely know what you meet about all of the random aches :(  I feel like my liver has been hurting me lately and it's FREAKING me out.  I'll have another PET scan before my Onc appointment on the 13th, but I've been putting off setting it up because I get so stressed about it!!  So hugs!! I get it!!!

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks Brandall...for support. I don't know why sometimes we waste energy on all the negativity when it just makes things worse. I am so glad you are almost done with Rads..who hoo! It took me about a week to week and half aftet Rads for the swallowing thing to go away completely. Hope you get better quicker.

• nbnotes
    edited February 2013
    Options

How is everyone's week going?  I'm healing well and feeling good, but am having to deal with insurance issues from my surgery. They are denying it so I'm having to do an appeal, etc.  It seems like there is always something.  Hope everything is going smoothly for all!

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Nbnotes- sorry you have to deal with insurance crap on top of everything else...glad you are feeling better though. I can not stand dealing with insurance companies....

I am doing my 3rd round chemo treatment today @10:30...wish me luck... Hope everyone is well.

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2013
    Options

Can I join this thread? Although I am 42, I have a five year old daughter and I see that many of you have young children too.

I am also stage four, but haven't managed to update my signature yet.

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013
    Options

Latte......I'm cheating a bit too. Just turned 40 in January.....but they haven't kicked me off yet, so I am sure you're welcome here!

• nbnotes
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome Latte! (though I'm sorry you have to join us) 

Jena - good luck with round 3!

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Welcome Latte...there are lots of us with kiddos here and everyone is a great support. Sorry you have to be hear...but welcome.

• SUEJEHL
    SUEJEHL Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi,

Was diagnosed Stage IV at 36.  39 now and about to turn 40.  Not what I was expecting in my 30's with small children.  Interesting article in the New York Times about an increase in women our age being first time diagnosed with stage 4.  Hope you are well.

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello everyone. I am 33 diagnosed when I was 32 with stage III and just recently upgraded to stage IV with a met to T12. I have a 3 year old boy and a 10 month old girl. I'm currently undergoing radiation to my spine and left chest. They said my PET scan also showed I still have some lymph nodes in my upper left chest. I had a double mastectomy and left axillary node dissection Dec 2012. I'm just taking it one day at a time and enjoying my time with my husband and babies. Sorry to have to meet everyone under these circumstances. Wish none of us had to be here.