Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Was your breast lump painful?

Options

Comments

• llhines38
    llhines38 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi JOJO2373, you mentioned that you have had many benign fluid filled cysts in your breasts, did these happen right around when you were getting ready to start your mentral cycle? Because I heard these were normal to have around this time. They found some in my breasts yesturday while doing an ultrasound and I started my period the day before, just hope that when I get the results from the ultrasound Monday, that they say they are only fluid filled cysts.

• llhines38
    llhines38 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Options

I never felt a lump and still dont, but the ultrasound I had done yesturday shows a few (of what the technician called) cysts, I don't know if these are something you can feel or not but I hope and pray she was right. wont know for sure til Monday.

• webkins0814
    webkins0814 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hello everyone!  I am new to this site.  I am 41 and found what lump that is painful.  I had  mammo and ultrasound a few weeks ago, both normal.  I was refered to a breast surgeon which I saw yesterday.  She told me I had lumpy breast.  The one on the side that is very painful and even my bra hurts its.  She called my breast Fibrocystic and said and reviewed my mamo and ultrasound and said they are just all kinds of small lumps on there and there are safe.  Is this normal.  I have never had this before in all my years.  I don't know when my cycle is cause I had novasure ablation which I still get my period, I just don't bleed so I don't know when it is. Some family history of breast cancer, but they are distant family members.  I just want to make sure I am being proactive for myself.  She said just make sure I get mamo every year and if anything changes to come back.  Is this normal?  I don't want to over stress about this either cause I did that for a few weeks before I saw her. 

• lmcclure4477
    lmcclure4477 Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    Options

Have your lump biopsied! My lump was painful and they told me it was normal from the ultrasound and to come back in 6 months. I wasn't so sure, so I pushed to see a breast surgeon and she did a biopsy. It came back cancer and I was triple negative and those lumps tend to hurt. Your lump is probably fine. 80% of lumps are benign, but the only way to tell is to get it biopsied.

• webkins0814
    webkins0814 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

I saw the breast surgeon yesterday, she said there was no need to biopsy.  She said they were just lumpy.  She told me to try vitamin E to see if that helps with the pain.  She said according to the mammo and ultrasound she didn't feel the need to do a biopsy cause its not big enough. She did say the left one was swelling but that is from Fibroscystic breast disease. 

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited February 2013
    Options

I had lots of stinger type pains that only lasted for a second or two. They were odd and just came out of the blue. Felt like a hot poker through my nipple.....but I blew it off because "breast cancer doesn't hurt"!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2013
    Options

Mine hurt...in the exact same spot they ended up finding my BC in. Also, I had to explain to the APRN that BC does hurt sometimes. She kept telling me that my biopsy will likely be b-9 cause BC never hurts until large tumors are present, not microcalcs like mine. Ummm, sorry, she was dead wrong. What if I believed her and didn't do the FU mammo? Ugh...BC sometimes hurts!

• Cindyk8
    Cindyk8 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Initially my lump did not hurt. After I found it, it began to hurt. I was told by many people that this was good, because breast cancer does not hurt. I had a horrible nagging feeling.  It is a good thing I did not rely on this because it is cancer.

Cindy

• Blubelle
    Blubelle Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have pain too. I treat the cancer in my breast with natural methods, but I only noticed how much pain I had been having once it was gone. 2 weeks into a raw food and wheatgrass program the pain disappeared.

Now I have pain if I stray from my program or feel stressed. The holiday turned out to be difficult, I started getting pain over thanksgiving and have not been pain free very much since then.

Stress will cause it to hurt almost instantly and if it's a minor thing the pain will subside quickly. I've been wondering if it could be muscular from my back and neck.. Most of the tumors are gone, smaller or less worrisome looking, but based on imaging and pain I'm back in the middle of decision time.

• chris1959
    chris1959 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2013
    Options

i had pain also and i had been told cancer didnt hurt so it was problbly nothing...well they were wrong i had cancer stage 4 ....chris

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited February 2013
    Options

Pain is how I found my lump. It was a very sharp, intense pain. It felt like I was being stabbed with a very hot knife. I had the pain for 3 days and then it stopped. The pain started late on a Friday afternoon so all I did over the weekend was read on-line...everything I read said cancer didn't hurt.  It seemed like I had all the symptoms of fibrous breasts and maybe cysts. I was in between jobs with no insurance, so I didn't go to the Dr. right away. I did call a mammography place, and several gyn offices and spoke with them, they all said get it checked out, but cancer lumps don't hurt. I was lead to think, it couldn't be cancer...cancer doesn't hurt... I found a job, insurance kicked in, and I noticed nipple inversion beginning, so I finally went to the Dr. (months later...). I had ILC.  Thinking back now...I wonder if the intense pain I felt (for those 3 days) was the tumor breaking through the wall...being the exact time that it became invasive. So in my case, yes the cancer lump did hurt!

• firework1068
    firework1068 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013
    Options

Yes....yes....yes, i have (had) dence breast with benign cyst drained every couple of years. There was pain associated with the cyst however, the pain at the tumor site was different. My chihuahua kept pressing her nose into my breast and I knew the pain was much more than the usual cyst.

Every time I'd go in because of a lump pain I was told that pain was a good sign because cancer doesn't hurt!

Geesh, don't they listen to their patients?!!

• thirdgenerationmomof2
    thirdgenerationmomof2 Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    Options

I had pain before my diagnosis but I had many cysts in both my breasts so that may have contributed to the pain. When I had my BMX done, my path report showed multiple cysts in both breasts. One was right on top of my tumor site. I did not find my tumor because I was used to the pain from always having lumpy, cyst filled breasts. My routine mammo picked up the lump.

I did have intense itching around my nipples. Not sure if that is a symptom or not? Also weird because my blood pressure ran high before surgery and had never done that before. I wonder if high blood pressure is a sign of cancer too.

• MichelleVA
    MichelleVA Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

I too had a painful lump in my breast.  I found it one night before getting a shower.  It was sore, movable, soft and it actually got smaller in size.  (yes, I did wait about a week and a half)  Everything you want a lump to be.  Even my NP at the GYN office thought it was a cyst but wanted to get a mammo and US to be sure.  Surprise and happy birthday to me! 

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited March 2013
    Options

Like firework above, mine was painful and my dog was obssessed with sniffing the spot where the lump was found. I had pain in that breast before the lump was palbable, along with my dog sniffing the spot. When I found the lump in the shower one morning, a wave of panic washed over me because of the combination of the pain and the dogs behaviour. At my first mamo, they also said pain was a good sign because bc wasn't painful. I'm not sure why, but I didn't believe them. I'm glad I didn't get a false sense of security from that. Mostly because of my dogs sniffing it, I was certain it was cancer, and when I got the call, it really wasn't a shock like it would have been if I hadn't been prepared. It's amazing how many of us were told by medical professionals that cancer isn't painful.

• mig69
    mig69 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Mine was painful, I couldn't lie on my left side. I had had cysts before and they hadn't hurt, so I knew this was different. My doctor thought it was nothing, as I was only 40, but thankfully she referred me for an ultrasound, where they could tell straight away what it was and sent me off for a biopsy.

• maltomlin
    maltomlin Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    Options

Yes I had a stabbing pain and when I put my hand on that spot I felt the lump. A very hard lump. I read somewhere that it felt like a carrot stuck to your breast - hard. And that's exactly how it felt. I knew immediately what it was.

The surprise to me was 'how the hell did I not notice it before?' How did it get so big?

• maisy
    maisy Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

I am 41. I first started having breast pain about a year (?) before I was diagnosed with BC, but it would always come and go and I didn't feel a lump, so I didn't pursue it. I was never an expert at self-exam and it's easy to attribute it to your period.  But then my breast started getting very sensitive all of the time, sometimes even swollen, and the stabbing pains increased (often sharp & intense) and then I could feel this hard moveable mass along the right side of my breast.  I guess depending on what position I was in, it would shift and I wasn't sure if I really felt it.  That made me doubt there was a mass (denial?) but when I asked my husband to feel if he felt something, he definitely did.  Kept hoping it was a cyst but it turned out the mass was even bigger than I could feel and it hurt. The mammogram was extremely painful!!

It really angers me to see these commercials/ads that say breast pain is not a sign of breast cancer and that it is a myth.  Even all my doctors seemed surprised that I had pain and went on to say that breast pain is not usually associated to BC.  Obviously in all of our cases, that's not true.

• Lisa1637
    Lisa1637 Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2013
    Options

Ladies...This is such an important topic!

In December I went to my GYN because I had this (huge) lump that jumped out when I was PMS.  And it hurt!  The very reassurring nurse who did the exam told me she thought it was benign because BC doesn't hurt.  She also said that it was squishy and not hard, attached to the wall.  She found a few other squishy lumps in my 'extremely' dense breasts.  She ordered a diagnostic Mammo and Ultrasound but told me 'I would have a good holiday.'  Boy, was I relieved.

2 weeks later, after the ultrasound, the radiologist said they wanted to do 4 biopsy', that lump and 3 calcifications.  The lump was benign but one calc came back with DCIS.  I'm grateful for that lump but realise how misinformed I had been...thanks to you ladies!

• sara613
    sara613 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

It's crazy how much docs lie you guys are living proof and my last bs dismissed me based on the fact that it hurts at times and I'm young.

• DEbeachgirl
    DEbeachgirl Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    Options

My breast hurt off and on for a couple months. A burning pain and then it would stop. I went to nurse practioner and we didn't feel anything and then a month later there was a lump beside my nipple that hurt. Everything I read said cancer didn't hurt and bc of my age everyone thought it was a cyst.

• deedee3835
    deedee3835 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hey Lady:  I was diagnosed 11/09.  I had a good mamogram 7/09 and some how from 7/09 to 11/09, a lump grew on my right breast looked like a smaller breast.  I was putting pressure on my nerves.............and it HURT like all heck.  I remember my co workers saying, oh it probably a cyst can't be cancer cause cancer doesnt hurt........Well had biopsy done and guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was cancer.  It wanted to smack them all.  So for all you people who may be confused about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! breast cancer can hurt.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2013
    Options

My breast hurt like crazy - like a bee sting - a year and a half before diagnosis.  I googled and googled and found, breast pain isn't cancer - baloney!  My body was trying to tell me there was a problem.  It was 1.5 years later before my 6 cm tumor was discovered.

I write a BC Blog and it is one of my missions to let people know BREAST PAIN CAN BE CANCER.  It is amazing how many searches I get on "bee sting like pain in breast" that leads people to me Blog. We have to continue to get this word out there!

• signalfire
    signalfire Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

My lump was found because it was painful; it was right behind the right nipple and about 2 cm; it felt like PMS-style pain at first, a dull ache only on that side, and then while I was 'thinking' about getting a mammogram, it became more sore, like a bruise.  After the nurse practitioner felt it, she sent me quickly for a mammogram (a 'diagnostic', not routine, this time), followed by another focused mammogram and then ultrasound and finally biopsy.  It was mucinous 2.1 cm with spots of LCIS, DCIS and DC infiltrating also in the specimen, after a lumpectomy.  I am now awaiting insurance approval for a double mastectomy to reduce the threat as much as possible.  I don't want a reconstruction; at my age (almost 60) I'm not really interested in carrying about a pair of 44DDs anymore and in any event, it wouldn't be me, it'd be a prosthesis and more surgery than I want to submit myself to.  

• just2_blessed
    just2_blessed Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello....this is what my letter said on Friday....Your breast Imaging study has shown an area in your breast that will need further evaluation....and said that I may have dense breast tissue which can hide cancer or other abnoomalities. I have to go and get a test done called a "Spot Compression". calling Dr. on Monday morning.

• indenial
    indenial Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2013
    Options

My cancerous lump was very painful... so much so that I was tempted on multiple occasions to grab a syringe from our cabinet & drain my "cyst" myself. (Doc told me it was a cyst, without doing any tests, because it was painful & I was only 29 years old.) When i finally got tests done months later, I really really really downplayed the pain because I had learned by then that no one was willing to consider it might be cancer if it was painful. Get your lumps tested, and even lie about the pain if you have to. I'd never advocate lying in most situations but this is your life at stake.

• raysnbucs
    raysnbucs Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2013
    Options

I felt the pain, well before I felt the lump. It was almost like being stabbed with a red hot knife at times lasting only a few seconds at a time. Sometimes it was bad enough, I had to stop what I was doing and sit down till it as over. Most of the time , I noticed it after I had had too much caffine. So I chalked it up to that. Now, that I have been dignosed with IDC, and a 5cm lump, I am betting it was from that. But I agree Breast Cancer can be painful. 

• heather214
    heather214 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Options

I have had all the Drs. tell me that breast cancer is NOT painful, but that was my ONLY initial symptom. My left breast just started aching terribly, and I just knew it was breast cancer. Other symptoms followed soon after: changes in the look of my breast and hardening of the tumors, but I am very thankful to have had the pain. Unfortunately, at first I attributed it to my cycles, so did not act immediately. But, when it did not go away, I went in. Was diagnosed within a week.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited April 2013
    Options

Its high time doctors stopped saying breast cancer is usually not painful as so many women can say differently, pain was my first sign too and I never had a lump as the cancer I had was lobular

• RMagdahlen
    RMagdahlen Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Options

I also had a lump that was very painful. Throbbed and pinched. It is what enabled me to get an early diagnosis.