Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Was your breast lump painful?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited September 2018
    Options

I had sharp (wake-me-in-the-middle-of-the-night sharp) pain in my breast and when I felt the spot I found the lump. I was already being profyllactically checked with yearly ultrasound due to family history (2 maternal aunts had BC in their 60s) and the doctor always told me that cancer doesn't hurt. I went to the very same doctor to check the lump, she performed biopsy and told me right away it doesn't look good. But when I told her it hurts, she simply brushed it away.

I told to the BS it hurts. He told me it's just my nerves, because I know it's there!

They don't believe and I wonder how many women get lulled by this. "It's just hormonal if it hurts, just wait." What a piece of s**t.

• Howenice
    Howenice Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    Options

I originally found a marble size lump in my right breast. Could not get into a doctor from February to July. It then grew to the size of an egg once that size I started having pain now since July I've had biopsies echocardiograms pet scans and it is cancerous I'm ER negative ,PR negative and her2 positive the tumor has grown significantly in the last month I'm now having pains close to a 7/8 also in my nipple and now I'm having a pussy discharge I also was told that cancer doesn't have pain I'm along with you I'd like to smack them in the face laugh out loud this morning I start my chemo I'll be having it once a week three weeks on one week off for 6 months the surgeon wants to try to shrink the tumor in order to do a mastectomy in the meantime I've had the BRCA test waiting for those results chances are I'll have to have a bilateral mastectomy so don't let anyone tell you you don't have pain because the pain is real when I told my friends they too said cancer didn't have pain but I assure you it is real they thought it was coming from my port but the port is on the left breast and the tumor is on the right I truly know where the pain is coming from all I can say is this sucks

• AllyBee
    AllyBee Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2018
    Options

I had a sharp stabbing pain on and off in the side of my breast. Went to the Dr about it and was told there was nothing to worry about. 3 months later I found a lump. Went to a different Dr who said she couldn't feel anything but sent me for an ultrasound. Turned out to be breast cancer. 18 months later and now I'm dealing with metastatic breast cancer. I often wonder if things would be different if the first Dr had bothered to order an ultrasound.

• Kiso20
    Kiso20 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Options

I had so much pain in my affected breast and my doctors always associated it with the multiple cysts I had there. Just by luck I was seen by an NP one day instead of regular doctor and she sent me for tests. My MRI was routine, but since both my mammogram and ultrasound were negative and I had family history, radiologist recommended it. Never did I think they’d find cancer and even the scan results said “probably benign”. I waited 3 months after the mri to get the biopsy and within two months I got my umx. Even now when I complain of pain my doctor reminds me cancer does not hurt. So I just keep arguing until I get the tests i need to satisfy myself. I can be pretty persuasive

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2018
    Options

I wish doctors would quit saying that because it simply isn’t true. There are multiple women who had pain associated with BC which is what prompted them to have it checked in the first place. What I have learned about cancer is it is typically a hard place not squishy. Even then though it doesn’t mean it’s the C word.

My advice would be go with your gut and be persistent. After all it’s your body and your life. A friend of mine had all the benign and negative results too but another radiologist said she suspected something was there so they did another test and found it. It was aggressive. Thank God for that radiologist. My friend had a MX, chemo and radiation. She is 9 years out.

Of course you don’t want it to be cancer but you and only you have to put your mind at ease.

Diane

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,882
    edited September 2018
    Options

Terrible pain right before diagnosis, that it was hard to inhale fully at times. It was a slowly growing pain with sharp jolts of pain that increased as well. Also had back pain, but I was working out.. so it was dismissed as that. They felt the lump. Said it was a cyst. Two docs. Too young to worry. I was 44 at the time. I knew it was bad and it was. I feel if it wasn't for the pain, I wouldn't have gone then either. But it started to grow and The texture changed as well. I knew that day it was bad, by their faces and the fact I went from mammo to biopsy that day. Never good then. Then he came and knelt down. I knew. Bingo. The winner of idc left breast 4cm. Do not pass go. Don't not have your normal life back ever. I'm sorry you're even concerned you could have it.

I wish you the best!! ~M~

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited September 2018
    Options

I'll add my data point here, too. My lump was painful, and in fact the pain predated a lump I could feel. But of course everyone said if it hurts it's not cancer. It was toward the center of my chest, right under the underwire of my bra and much more painful in the run up to my period. My GP literally told me not to lose any sleep over it, and when I pushed for a scan, put me on the non-urgent list which in the public system means 4 months but in my case was delayed to 6. If she had marked me urgent I could be done with chemo and rads by now!

• LBmomma
    LBmomma Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    Options

praying for your biopsy.... I had similar issues. I had my surgery done lumpectomy 2001. I had a benign fibroadenoma on My right breast. My breast is heterogenously dense Bi-rads 4

Last June I noticed my breast is kinda heavy and painful. Probably my cycle but i noticed my bra there's a brown stain. Bilateral (I always wore black bra i just noticed when i was wearing diffrent color. So I went to the ER coz of the pain. They can't do mammo but they did Ultrasound on me. The doctor told me to see my PCM. So my doc reffered me to a breast care center.

Done with my mammogram and ultrasound. The radiologist and the doc told me that there's some abnormalities on my right breast and they need to do needle core biopsy. After my biopsy the doc called me the next day. It was benign yayy!!! Fibrocystic breast.. But she told me the result still inconclusive coz of the discharged. She ordered breast MRI. After a week done with my MRI and called me the next day. She told me that I dont have cancer. They can't find anything.

I called my PCM because I was complaining about the pain. And told me to take some pain meds and if it get worst go to urgent care or ER. My pain won't go away from June until now. I have persistent pain. It's like stabbing, burning pain here and there sometimes near my armpits or side boobs on both breast. Sometimes I can't sleep I guess the anxiety so she Rx me atarax. The doctor from breast care center told me to get my mammo next year. And do monthly check up. Btw I know what's cycle means when I have breast pain. Usually my breast are sore but the stabbing pain that's a different issue.

This month of September I have a yearly check up for my pulmonologist. This one is accidentally back in (2006) when I went to ER for back pain.i thought I have a kidney problem. They did CT scan on me and found a lung nodule. But I'm thankful until now the lung nodule still the same size. But i was diagnosed of asthma. Hopefully I cant get another test here for PET scan. Since I can't get a pet scan for my breast coz of all my test are normal for breast mri.

Does anyone here have the same issue like mine? Lately i have fever on and off idk it's weird.

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited September 2018
    Options

I didn't have any pain...or didn't think I did. Looking back, very sporadically, I would get an occasional few jabs of sharp pain in a small region on the very surface of my areola, which felt very superficial and I don't believe was related and may pre date the tumor. The only time I ever had pain at the tumor site was/is occasionally after neoadjuvant chemo sessions.

• Wanderingneedle
    Wanderingneedle Member Posts: 220
    edited September 2018
    Options

My tumor was large and painful. After taking Ibrance and letrozole the pain and swelling dissipated and the tumor shrunk by about half in 6 months. That was the end of June. By early August my tumor quickly started to grow again and now it is ugly red and purple with bumps all over that are sensitive and it hurts and I get the shooting and stabbing pains. A lot. I sometimes wear my bra to bed so I can get some sleep but the pain is worse than the first time. Does anyone have any remedies that work lessen the pain? I’m no longer on Ibrance/letrozole and start abraxane tomorrow.

• Hunts08
    Hunts08 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Options

Did you have pain in your nipple area? I sent you a private message and would love to talk with you more. I feel like my symptoms are very similar.

• monarch777
    monarch777 Member Posts: 338
    edited September 2018
    Options

When my cancer metastasized to my back, radiation was used to relieve the excruciating pain. I know radiation is used for palletive care. What has the doctor said

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2018
    Options

It’s unanimous we should all smack those doctors. I didn’t have pain but I have friends who did. I can’t understand why or how they tell patients that fallacy?It simply isn’t true. Obviously. Do they tell their spouses or daughters that nonsense?

I wonder how many women dismissed a lump because it wasn’t painful. We are at the mercy of our doctors sometimes but we need to be our own advocates. Doctors are not infalliable - just dogmatic and egotistical.

Diane