Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Was your breast lump painful?

Options

Comments

• Alemap118
    Alemap118 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    Options

has anyone also experienced a burning sensation? I just had a core biopsy on Thursday and waiting to see he surgeon Tuesday for the results. Prior to this and the annual mammogram where a highly suspicious mass was detected I was having pain in my armpit but never felt any lumps. I also had pain in my right breast only and this burning sensation. Sometimes it felt like it was on fire.  I keep reading that if it is cancer it won't hurt. I am hoping it is b9 but if it isn't i am sure glad i am not crazy..so anyone have the burning sensation?

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had an aching feeling under my arm where the lump was, no burning sensation.

• Mom2MCA
    Mom2MCA Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

I have had aching and burning pain (like a be sting), itching, and discharge (from yellow, to green, to bloody) in my left breast since January. Nothing has shown on an US or Mamo, but I am having surgery on the 14th. My BS wants me in as quick as possible since it has gotten worse. Pain radiates from breast to shoulder and down my arm to my hand. Not all the time but enough to make me miserable some days. I'm very worried and anxious and find it very irritating that others are dismissive when I explain what I am going thru...they just know that it can't be cancer since it hurts. Agh!

• Jenneri
    Jenneri Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Options

My lump was soft, spongy, moved around and was sore.  My physician really didn't think it was anything but I was due for my annual mammo and she added a request for an ultrasound.  I am so glad!  My mammo showed nothing... Completely clear, but my ultrasound showed a 1.5 mm mass.  Followed in 10 days with a needle biopsy and BC diagnosis.  BC can hurt!  And if you have dense breast tissue, ultrasound should be added to your annual mammo. 

• cybermab
    cybermab Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014
    Options

Alemap118 - I had pain in my breast off and on for several days before I felt the lump. Went to the doctor and she said she felt a thickening, but no lump. Sent me for a comprehensive mammogram and an ultrasound and the mass showed up on both the ultrasound and the mammogram. Turned out to be IDC, which usually doesn't hurt.  I am very grateful that it did.

• rosecal954
    rosecal954 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had itchiness and some occasional shooting pains a few weeks before my mammogram. It was summer and thought perhaps the itchiness was from mosquito bites or being sweaty.  I never connected it with my breast lump.

• mg23
    mg23 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Options

Dear Lauren 15,

Hope all is well with you.  Do you have any side effects from the treatment?

• LLizz
    LLizz Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2014
    Options

I just want to add that my right breast really started to hurt about 8 weeks ago.  A spot on my breast 2-3 inches up from my nipple.  My doc calls it 11 o'clock. A bit of skin about the size of a dime was ultra sensitive to temperature (warm shower felt scalding) and next to it felt numb.  The sensitive area and numb area started getting bigger.  Then the stabbing pain.  The kind of stabbing that makes you catch your breath.  It doesn't hurt as much in the morning... hurts more and more as the day goes on.  Some days it doesn't hurt as much, but then it the pain just increases the next day.  

I reported it eventually to my PCP.  They said that it couldn't be BC because BC doesn't hurt, but I am lucky they sent me to a breast surgeon anyway, to see if there was anything that they could do for my "severe fibro cystic breasts".  

The surgeon couldn't see me for another 5-6 weeks, but I called them to check for a cancellation every day.  I only waited 2 weeks instead of 6.  The surgeon told me that it was prob nothing, because none of his other patients had the same symptoms as I did.  He felt a lump, though.  I never did.  He did the ultra sound and as soon as he saw it, his attitude completely changed.  I am lucky, lucky, lucky.  7 days later I got my Dx.  

It's still in there and it still hurts and I swear it is doing evil things in there.  I see my medical onc for the first time on Tuesday.

• pastalover
    pastalover Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have been doing the 6 month follow up game on my left breast for the past 6 years or so.  However the pain in my left breast started about 2 years ago.  Yes...I have mentioned this to all my doctors.

And yes...same answer.  Pain means no cancer.  My left breast got the ALL CLEAR this past June! First time normal!!  (diagnostic mammo).  A few weeks ago  I got a new letter saying to do left breast mammo again.  I decided to try something different.  Usually if I mention pain...they automatic want a diagnostic mammo.  So I didn't mention any pain and now have my annual regular mammo for both breast set up for next week.  Thought I would try reverse psychology.  This way if my left breast is abnormal again.  They might listen to my complaints then...

• lynnetteb75
    lynnetteb75 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Options

I was recently dx and when I found my lump in the shower I went right to my pcp who felt it.and asked if it hurt I said yes when.she pushed down as I dont have much breast tissue as it is you can fel the mass just by running your hand over it she said well that makes me feel a little bit better as bc dosent hurt...yeah right...my breast feel as though im getting my period everyday tenderness and soar threw my armpit...with a sharp pain every so often..so yes cancer does hurt...and im glad I found this site as I donf feel like im imaging things and symptoms also I am always sooo tired around 2 pm everyday I get so tired I xan bearly keep my eyes open..I have tl have a coffee just to make it till 530 and dont. bother trying to talk to me after 9lol

• rosewater
    rosewater Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Options

The main reason I found my lump was because it caused me pain when I laid on my side. I was soon DX IDC TNBC 2cm, grade 3, no nodes. I'm currently being treated with chemo (4 x dd AC, 12 x weekly taxol), and now have similar pain under my left (opposite) armit - I can feel a lump. I've been told not to worry about it, but it feels so similar pain-wise as the one in my right breast. The docs say, don't worry, because I am being treated right now with the chemo, and then I will be having a BMX. I've had pain in my left arm ever since my 4th AC treatment, and now this pain in my left armpit...arghh...has anyone else experienced this? Could it be related to my arm pain, which I've been told is from the IV treatments? My MRI prior to chemo showed nothing in my left breast, though my initial lump in my right breast did not show up on mammogram because of my dense breasts.

• Alemap118
    edited November 2014
    Options

well here I am 6 months out and last week had my mamas and us. And it's back..the lump I had biopsies in May that was a papiloma is back in the same spot along with an enlarged lymph node nearby and a new lump on the opposite side of the breast. My breast still hurts and feel tingly and warm sometimes..the radiologist is suggesting an excisional biopsy on the areas.... I just an so frustrated.. I a, told by dose t cause pain, but so many who are experiencing it say different. I see the surgeon on Tuesday.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yes

• fiercer
    fiercer Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2014
    Options

never had pain when I found the lump. It became painful because I could barely stop feeling it to see if it was shrinking during chemo. It's still painful after the lumpectomy

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited November 2014
    Options

there is a thread on here that clearly demonstrates that, despite what doctors say, some women do feel pain or discomfort pre cancer diagnosis

• LydiaHouse
    LydiaHouse Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2014
    Options

Im so glad to find this. I first had a mild pain and nipple sensasion changes. As the pain got worse it felt like mastitis. I tried heat and ice, then went to my coctor. She too told me cancer didnt hurt as a we . Sorry, but the back button isnt working to correct my typing. She did a full examine and told me to get my annual mammo in 45 days. The tumor deep in my large breast was 4.2 cm at the mammo. By then I was in so much pain I didnt want to lift my arm and I wouldnt let anyone near me as I was afraid thyd hug me. Doctors must learn to heed our pain as a symptom.

• bookworm123
    bookworm123 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

what kind of biopsy did you have? I am having fna wed. for a 1cm .should i be having core biopsy?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited November 2014
    Options

Welcome bookworm123 to BCO.

Your Doctor would have made the choice of FNA over core by the results of prior testing and has chosen the appropriate one for your case. We are not doctors here, so could not advise one way or another and each case is different.

You may find the article on our main site Biopsy of interest as FNA is the least intrusive.

However, we hope you have a benign result anyway.

The Mods

• mamam
    mamam Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options

The pain was my first sign that something was wrong. From my breast to my fingers- shooting random pains & an ache into my shoulder. I had a bad 3d mammo call back & went to the u/s appt only told that they would see me next year. I had to beg the dr to please look again & told her that I knew something was wrong. Gut feeling. She found an area of concern that she said still looked like dense breast tissue but we would check to be sure. Biopsy they laughed & told me it was nothing & to relax. Came back as ILC 5/6cm. I am having a double masectomy on the 19th. I have 3 children & I am determined that something needs to be done to have women be more aware of "pains" plus that ILC hides on mammograms. MRI's should be given for women with dense breast tissue.

• funnthesun68
    funnthesun68 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    Options

I had pain with my lump. The weird part of it all was I had pain on my left side near the breast clear down the left side, plus my nipple kinda hurt too. I also experienced shooting stabbing pains, almost like a quick stabbing around the tumor. I was always tired. My mammo last year should some calcifications, did yours? This year when I found the lump, I could feel the lump more when I sat up than laying on my back. The only reason I found the lump was because I was bending over to pick something up when I felt pain and thought this wasn't normal. Felt around breast and low and behold I felt a thickening on the breast with a lump. Dr.'s were amazed I even found it because of the dense breast tissue I had. What biopsy or biopsies did you have? I have two different steriotactic and ultra sound guided. Hope your surgery went well! Hang in there!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited December 2014
    Options

Exactly my situation! same place, same feeling.

• Alemap118
    edited December 2014
    Options

I went back at end of October for my 6 month review..now I have three lumps! And I still have pain and burning..I quit telling them I have pain because they keep telling me it is a good sign..I'm waiting to be scheduled for a needle guided mri biopsy next week and then the wait again for the results..I keep reading so much about how there is pain in a lot of woman.... Do I worry even more now

• funnthesun68
    edited December 2014
    Options

alemap - the ultra sound guided biopsy didn't hurt, just a pinch, they did that 4x's on my left breast. I also had a stereotactic biopsy done where the tumor was, I would say it didn't hurt too much, more than a pinch. The think that hurt the worse was all the mammograms that they had to do to get the needle in the right place. Hang in there, you will do fine. I hardly bruised, so just don't be stressed it will be fine.

• funnthesun68
    edited December 2014
    Options

Chloesmom- i am glad to hear that you had similar symptoms as me, I have heard that from alot of women on here....and they say cancer doesn't hurt! Makes me think they are wrong. Hang in there!

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yep. I always heard BC didn't cause pain and I have implants so I thought it was probably scar tissue. I went to my doctor in Aug 2013 and July 2014 and he said it 'didn't present like cancer' based on where it was. The pain was a intermittant throbbing pain, which sometimes could keep me up at night. He gave me another u/s order and I waited until Jan since he was so sure it wasn't BC. I guess he was pretty embarrassed having to call and tell me the diagnosis. LIsten to your body. No one knows it better than you.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options

If I would have listened to my breast pain 1.5 years before diagnosis, I believe I could have saved my breast.  But everything I've read said breast pain is not cancer.  As a result, it is my passion to make others aware that BREAST PAIN CAN BE CANCER.  This is one of the most read articles on my breast cancer blog.  Every day lots of women find my article by searching bee sting feeling in breast and breast pain.  https://denise4health.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/breast-pain-can-be-cancer/

• kittysister
    kittysister Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2015
    Options

My breast lump ached during the day. At night, I could no longer sleep on that side. It felt like I was trying to sleep on a rock.

• Annie88
    Annie88 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

I did have pain in the breast w/ the tumor and it radiated to the arm. This is what helped me find the tumor and seek medical attention. Thankfully my body did give me pain, or my story may have been much different. Drs shouldn't generalize BC, as everyone's body reacts differently

• thelmafadero
    thelmafadero Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

hi i also had a pain breast on both side,i am 27 year old just went to the doctor today.and i started searching reasearch cause i am really scared tomorrow will be my ultrasound..i have the same case as yours no lumps but really pain..is there a chance that ive got cancer?please help thanks

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2015
    Options

It really maddens me when I read that Dr.s say bc doesn't cause pain! I'd love it if every dr. could be made aware that yes, bc can cause pain! I found both my lumps because of pain. To me it was a burning ache that was spontaneous. I'll take this a step further and would like women to know that if they ever feel nipple dampness that they should get that checked out. Several times I thought I felt a dampness expressed from my nipple -and even possibly a 'milk let down' feeling but just assumed that it was hormonal because I was going through bad peri menopausal symptoms. This was probably a good year prior to finding my lump. I do believe I should have investigated this but I did have a normal mammo 8 months prior to my dx. I don't have dense breasts so a mammo was probably not sensitive enough to pick up any problems- I would have pushed had I known this could have been a symptom. Yes bc can and does cause pain!