Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Sister Warriors

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited February 2013

Renee~Either take a generic stool softener with you or ask them when you're admitted to prescribe it for you. The anesthesia & pain meds cause constipation.

Chemo attacks fast growing cells, that's why it goes after cancer first, then our hair, nails, digestive tract, etc. you can avoid the mouth sores from chemo very easily. Make a mixture of 1 qt. of water, 1TBS baking soda, and 1 TBS of table salt. Rinse your mouth several times a day starting on day of chemo and use it for about a week. Of course, if you like, you can use it all the time.

To prevent thrush, (which is a yeast infection cause by chemo killing off the good bacteria), take an acidophilus everyday starting day of chemo. I also try to eat a yogurt everyday. Again, you can do these things for a week after treatment or do it always. It's very healthy for you.

Momtotenkids~I had a bone scan 2 weeks before chemo started. I remember the anxiety. It's a really easy test. The hardest part as usual is waiting for the results.

I'll remember to pray for an excellent report.

Blessings

Paula

• pacools
    pacools Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2013

Lemon68 I ditto you feeling on chemo exactly!

There are such comfort in numbers. We have a big week in front of us with surgeries, treatments, and rads. Calming energy for all of us. 

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2013

Paula, I really appreciate your presence on these discussion boards and sage advice from one who has been there, done that! It is so reassuring and loads of help to us newbies!

lemon68 and pacools- I understand completely those mixed emotions about chemo. Because my decision to do the chemo was based on my Oncotype score of 28 and not because I had positive nodes, I have/had all those mixed emotions as well. So many big decisions to be made on the BC journey and over such a long period of time. I guess we just have to do it one step at a time.

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

Oh, forgot to answer your question lemon68- I'm in the Lancaster, PA area (south central)

• PositiveThnking
    PositiveThnking Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2013

Lots going on for sure with the warriors.  I wish everyone well!  My news is Chemo day went well.  took forever since the first round they do very slowly to check for any reactions.  I passed with flying colors.  I had good training from the nurse and she gave me lists of things to get to help ease symptoms.  I've got dry mouth as my side effect so I am rinsing with Biotene.  You can get it at Target and I have a little flushed face thing going on.  The senocot works great and not constipated (now I feel like its TMI! Laughing). The only time I felt a little nausea was when I woke up this morning on an empty stomach.  I've turned into a nibbler so no nausea the rest of the day.  And yes I can tell the taste buds are starting to go. 

DH is making Greek chicken and lemon soup for dinner.  Had the neulasta shot this afternoon,  they recommend I start on claritin for 5 days along with your pain med of choice (advil, tylenol, etc) as that helps with the bone pain which is the most common side effect. 

Soteria, thats a good tip about the yogurt.  I use it in fruit smoothies now, so thats good thinking to help prevent thrush.  Neither the surgeon or MO rushed to call me with PET results that came in yesterday, so I am happily assuming the stupid cancer didn't take up residence elsewhere since they didn't adjust any of the original chemo orders.  I meet with the MO next week so he can check me at the 10 day mark after first chemo.  Will see how I'm feeling and if up to it will check in this weekend.  Have a good weekend everyone! 

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2013

(((Reneein OH))) - you've been such a source of support for others in this forum...now your own surgery is fast approaching on Monday morning, you're in my thoughts and prayers...take care, (((Hugs))) Maureen

• barberchic
    barberchic Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2013

Just wanted to say "hi" I've been on bco awhile,I was diagnosed jan.9th, but have been mostly on the triple positive thread. Having my pre op MRI Tuesday, and hopefully surgery soon! The waiting is just as hard as being diagnosed :(

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2013

Barberchic-- I'm glad you found us. I'm in the same boat, diagnosed just a few days after you and wanting surgery ASAP! I agree the waiting is just downright awful. Good thing is that we have an awesome group of ladies here that have been wonderful. Nice to "meet" you!

Positive thinking and soteria--thank you for the tips!

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013

barberchic & Cuetang~The waiting is the hardest part. My DH changed jobs so we lost our major medical 3 days after I was diagnosed at the end of July. I didn't have surgery until Oct. 22, and didn't start chemo until Dec. 7. In between there were all kinds of scans, then waiting for results for those.

Surgery was the easiest part of all I've been through so far. I finished final AC 2 weeks ago. Starting taxol next Friday.

My heart goes out to you both. You will get through this, and be stronger because of it.

Renee~I'll be thinking of you and praying on Monday. Please check in with us as soon as you can.

Blessings

Paula

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

Positivethnking- so glad you had smooth sailing on your first day at the chemo bar! Hope it is continuing this weekend. When your taste buds fail you- remember that you will still be able to taste chocolate- Yea!

ReneeinOH- I will be thinking of you and sending warm and strengthening vibes your way on Monday.

barberchic- the waiting is definitely hell, hope your MRI is nice and clear. Welcome to our group!

• barberchic
    barberchic Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2013

Thanks ladies :)

I'm just praying that I'll feel like things are going somewhere after MRI. The nurse said it would, we'll see! Everyone have a blessed day!

Angie

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2013

ReneeinOH Praying that today is filled with laughter & family so your heart :)). May you have a great day peaceful sleep & wake confident for battle.

Your encouragement has helped us all go into battle & now it is your turn.

Positive thoughts (((hugs))) you will do great!

• PositiveThnking
    edited February 2013

ReneeinOH - Good luck and praying for you!

TMM60 - 72% dark chocolate barely tastes like nestle toll house milk chocolate chips.  They are not kidding that everything is tasting flat!

Barberchic - definitely the waiting is the hardest. Once it gets moving its better.

Lots of naps today...

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

Positivethnking- bummer about the chocolate for you. Another thing I really liked was Carnation Breakfast Essentials (the old Carnation Instant Breakfast). It has a bunch of protein and tasted good. The good news is that your taste will come back next week. It's day 9 for me and I was able to enjoy a steak for dinner tonight. Last week, red meat tasted so bad. Can't say its back 100%, but much better.

Bummer for me today was that I seem to have developed some neuropathy- pins and needles in hands and toes. Taxotere can cause this. I'll call the MO tomorrow and see what to do about it. Otherwise decent day. Had to send DH to the grocery today as I am in my chemo nadir (blood counts at their lowest and prone to infection). Poor guy, he had trouble finding some of the items I had on the list and it took him an hour and a half in the store. I can sympathize- I shop at the same store all the time and they are always moving stuff! Guess it must be a marketing thing to force you to look at other items on the shelves to find what you are looking for!

• melissa119
    melissa119 Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2013

TMM60

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy. Check with your MO but I was told to take b6 all during my taxol treatments with are in the same family as taxotere. I had 12 weekly treatments and did not start feeling any tingling til about the 6th treatment and it was very minor which never stayed that long. My MO said that was key. As long as it went away it was good and would not be permanent. So make sure you stay on top of it and do ask your MO about it :-)

Melissa

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

Thanks melissa119- I called the MO office this morning. We're just going to keep an eye on it at this point. Next week, my MO will decide whether or not to lower my chemo dose depending on the neuropathy. I'm hoping it's better then. I really want the full dose- if I have to do this I want it to count. But then again, I'd hate to have permanent neuropathy. Here's to hoping it gets better.

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited February 2013

Hi! I am waiting to be taken into surgery. Am doing fine. Thanks for the well wishes!

• Kimberly1965
    Kimberly1965 Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2013

Well I haven't posted in a while. I'm scheduled for first chemo mar 6 I will have 3 chemo drugs. I need port put in first. Also I still have my drains and they need out first they said. But I have something that happened with my heart during BMX w/tissue expanders. So I need major heart test before they can do a lot of it. I'm so tired and still have a lot of pain. I hope you all are having a good day!!! I still refuse to call myself a warrior. Due to feeling like I'm not fighting enough.,

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

reneeinOH- thinking of you today.

Kimberly- I wish I could reach out across the internet and give you a huge hug. I'm so sorry that you are tired and in pain. I hope your heart test is OK. It's not fair that you are having such a hard time. Love and hugs being sent your way!

• momtotenkids
    momtotenkids Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2013

I wish I could hug you too Kimberly. You are fighting it is just hard right now. I hope the pain starts gets better soon and your heart tests are OK too. I am keeping you on my prayers. Keep us updated.

ReneeinOH you are in my prayers today too. Hoping your surgery is going well.

• PositiveThnking
    edited February 2013

TMM60 - thats good to know. I've been drinking the Kirkland chocolate protein shakes (20g), but hey, oatmeal tastes like oatmeal..yippee!  My MO put me on b-complex, like Melissa, especially B-6 and B-12 preventatively for the neuropathy.  So far all the pills to prevent this or treat that and I feel like a chemistry set!   DH is making burritos  tonight.  Hoping I can taste some spice.  He had a challenging grocery run today too.  Must be Monday.

Kimberly - I want to reach out too and give you a huge hug as well.  I am also so sorry you have the added heart issue to get through, too.  You will make it!

ReneeinOH - I hope you are done and out of surgery.  hugs to you as well as you start the next phase in the cure!

• ReneeinOH
    edited February 2013

Renee is out of surgery and doing fine.Woozy. We'll have to see the P.S. Friday to see if skin recovers or if a graft is needed. Cancer was close to skin and doctors are concerned some might die. Next four days will tell.

• ReneeinOH
    edited February 2013

Clear nodes btw!

• TNmother
    TNmother Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with IDC stage 2, triple negative in January! I just went through first round of chemosynthesis wed & have 15 more to go! I'm a fighter like the rest of the brave women on here, love & positive thoughts go out to everyone!!😊

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited February 2013

Welcome TNmother, your in the right place for brave women!

Renee- CLEAN NODES.. yahooooo..... will say a prayer tonight for a restful sleep for you and your family. xoxoxoxo

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2013

Renee-- thanks for the update, glad you're done with the surgery! Positive thoughts for the skin issue to work put in your favor :).

Kimberly-- I'm sure all the others here will agree with me that you are indeed a sister warrior! I hate to hear of all the extra pain you are going through. Hopefully you can quickly take care of the heart concerns that stemmed from the surgery. (Huuuugggs).

TNmother--glad you found us! Rock on and kick some serious cancer @$$.

• TMM60
    edited February 2013

tnmother- welcome, we are glad you found us!

reneeinOH- clean nodes- YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!! Rest well, warrior sister.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2013

ReneeinOH - Yeah clear nodes Happy Dancing!!! Prayers for speedy healing (((hugs))) you go warrior sister! Rah for the home team!

TNmother- Welcome in this journey with us- strength positive thoughts great medical team & strong warrior spirit! You will be fine fight on!

• ReneeinOH
    edited February 2013

Have to see PS Friday. Not sure if I have enough skin and/or tissue may die. I have small breasts and if I understood contractually, cancer closer to the skin. Part of the next steps is to get path report. As a consequence, TE in but no fill. Also put in a port in case I need radiation. They will do an accelerated fill before rads. (But what is next is not clear.)

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013

Renee~I'm praying that you get an excellent report when all is said & done.

Be blessed

Paula