Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Comments

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited October 2013

I chose to skip radiation after a 1 1/2 hour visit with the onc. He said it was up to me. I would only get a 4 percent benefit and my heart would be in the radiation field. I was also told about 6 percent of my lung would be permanently damaged. There was also a possibility of rib breakage (although he had never seen it in his practice) Of course there was the possibility of other cancers as well.

I am comfortable with my decision, but everyone has to weigh the options for themselves of course.

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2013

hipz~ I went to a naturopathic oncologist at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. He gave me a supplement regimen to take before surgery and a slightly altered one to take afterwards. Did it help? Maybe. I did heal pretty fast and without any complications. I did this regimen for each of my reconstructive surgeries (had some fat grafting). And also later for an abdominal surgery. So far all the docs have remarked on how well I recover so it isn't hurting. :) It also helped me feel empowered that I was doing "something" to help my body prepare and heal.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited October 2013

i regret doing rads, left with loads of problems

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited October 2013

I had no problem with rads. Walked/exercised every day with no noticeable tiredness. I got a red and itchy toward the end of my 33 sessions, but that was easily dealt with and resolved soon after my treatment ended. I had become very alarmed about what to expect from reading this board. After it was over I asked my RO if my lack of severe SEs was unique, and he said about 80% of people had the same experience. So, it seems that, like anti-hormonals, about 20% have severe difficulties, but most of us do not.

• Lily55
    edited October 2013

wish i was one of the eighty percent my whole right side is solid hurts all the time cannot kay on my right, limited movement, problems in shoulder blade etc. Had a year of physio and he has said it will never go back to normal

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2013

Thank you so much for your input! I plan to give the supplements a try. Can't hurt!

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2013

Does anyone here know how to do the iodine test to check my iodine level? I asked my primary doctor and my oncologist and they did not know. If there is a name for this test, please let me know. Is it done by blood or urine or saliva? Does insurance pay for it? Thank you for your help.  

• justfarmthroughit
    justfarmthroughit Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013

xbronxgrl

that was a typo - I did'nt mean they "blew" the first test - what I'm trying to say is that they "blew off" the fact that the cancer was down graded using the preliminary diagnosis excuse. They cannot explain to me logically how that happened - some how the first biopsy only managed to find grade 2 cell in five threads of tissue, yet in the total lump once removed they only found grade 1. They say its unusual normally the cancer becomes more aggressive - so am I to assume the cancer may have reduced in metabolic activity - become less aggressive? They are so careful to avoid admitting dietary approaches can make such a big positive impact!! If they don't know they don't know I can accept that to a degree but this "pulling the wool" bulls!!t frustrates the hell out of me.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2013

Justfarm, I really don't think you can assume that 6 weeks of dietary changes had that kind of effect on the cancer. Maybe it did, and if so, great! Thing is, it is impossible to tell. So the docs really don't know, and neither does anyone else.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited October 2013

Justfarm i hear you, i also got so frustrated at times with my onco and my bs. Now i let them talk and talk and i just listen then i go home and try to find my own logic to what ever they say lol I cant stand them i just wish C doesn't come back so i don't see them again lol  It is harder when you lose trust in them :( keep up the good diet and exercise. 

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2013

Like Enerva I am so frustrated with doctors in general! I know it is not rationale but I have been soooo rational all my life that now I have decided that I have to express my feelings more. I also visit my onc, who is a nice person I have to admit but in a different frequency than mine, I just listen and go home and just do my own thing: nutrition, meditation, vitamins and other (like curcumin, sodium bicarbonate, graviola...),homeopathy, and well simply have made my own routine. When this is done I will use the power of my mind to keep it far ... I dont want to see doctors again! I have done 4 ACs and now on my 4/12 Taxols... Will start rads in about 4 weeks... but everything I read makes me nervous... hope to be in the 80%... my skin is quite fair so hope it will not get burn...

justfarm: maybe the power of your mind is really working! As momine says, if it was your nutrition great... I think that everything that we believe really helps for healing... and for life in general

cyber hugs!

• justfarmthroughit
    justfarmthroughit Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013

I think this is the perfect place to express irrational thoughts ideas, practice being judged and even ridiculed as there seems to be a bunch of people ready to support and defend you on here - not so much in the real world. The powers that be need to be challenged and made aware that some people need to make their own decisions about their bodies and what treatment they may or may not choose. To do that I need all the information - if they going to biopsy my body then give me treatment options based on those results they need to able to give me logical answers. If a tumor can become more aggressive in 6weeks then is it not logical that it can become less aggressive? Imagine a time when we are offered alternative treatment as a valid treatment option and it is fully funded and supported!! The only people who can make the changes are the medical people on the coal face - the people we see and can convince we can help our selves with their help, they are not the ones driven by money -ego maybe but I don't believe the medical professionals I have seen so far regarding my bc don't want to see me get better naturally, but I do believe they are convincing them selves every day - with help from the "establishment" that surgery, radiation and toxic chemicals are the only way to save my life from bc. If we don't keep rattling the cage things will never change!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170
    edited October 2013

Everyone is free to make their own choices and decisions regarding tx! No matter what a doctor reccomends, you are free to go with it, or not. Alternative tx , offered and funded, will happen when there are credible studies and then clinical trials to prove their efficacy. Yes, doing this is time consuming, enormously expensive and tedious but if someone really has good although tx or even a cure, it can be done.

• Lily55
    edited October 2013

the problem with many alternative treatments is there are no clinical trials as many are natural products so cannot be patented so cost of trials cannot be recouped........

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013

Yes,trials are very expensive, however, until someone, somewhere does a science based study/trial, they will remain in the realm of the anecdotal . I am no expert on these things but I'm still finding it hard to believe that there is a sure fire cancer cure out there that no one will put through the rigor of scientific study simply because there's not enough money to be made. Even if you couldn't patent a drug, the manufacture and sale of it could still net a pretty tidy sum. The natural supplement makers come to mind ? They seem to do quite well.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited October 2013

surely there has been a clinical trial at some point pointing to the protective benefits of exercise, right? There is no need for a patented drug to exercise. And there was at least one study I read that compared Effexor and acupuncture for hot flash relief. (Acupuncture was found to be more effective!). There's currently a trial evaluating the benefits of DIM with tamoxifen. I don't believe that all studies are driven by "Big Pharma". I do think that more alternative methods will be studied in time.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2013

Gemini, I agree. Besides, many big pharma drugs were developed from natural remedies. Taxanes spring to mind.

My mother was part of a study on exercise during cancer treatment. That was at the U of Copenhagen abut 6 years ago. It was one of the studies that concluded that exercise is helpful against the side effects of chemo. Since then other studies have shown that exercise may also help against the actual cancer. I think this is the follow-up study to the one my mom was in: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2762035/

• hjpz
    edited October 2013

I agree! The reason I come to this particular thread is to talk to like minded survivors who allow me to question things without judging me. I get enough judging when I see Dr.'s! If any of my Dr.'s had gone through this themselves I think I would be a little less apt to question everything they say. I understand that it is a Dr.'s job to "cure" me so they are going to throw everything at me that they have used on all their other patients before me. I harbor no ill feelings about their approach - that this their job. My job on the other hand is to research and question and do what is best for me after weighing all the information. I am not a number and refuse to be treated as such.

• hjpz
    edited October 2013

I was seriously fine with my radiation. I lathered myself in vitamin cream every night and now 12 years later all my doctors have commented on how soft my skin is even though it was radiated. Everyone is different. I stopped reading all the bad comments about breast reconstruction myself because I am having that surgery in 2 weeks and I am just preparing the best I can and telling myself that it will all be fine. Who knows what will happen but I had to stop myself from thinking the worst! It is hard though.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013

gemini4,

That's why I continue to frequent the alt forum. I hope that one of these great, do no harm cures/regimens/ supplements will put their stuff to the test!

Caryn

• Rdrunner
    Rdrunner Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2013

Part of the problem with clinical trails and natural/alternative products is that the source of these products is not regulated so the levels of active ingredient can vary from bottle to bottle etc. A study done and published by the university of Guelph on, looked at the ingredients in poplular natural products.. there is/was no consistency. Also i believe in one product gingo bilboa.. they actually found prendisone. So the take home message is buyer/user beware. My point is until things can be regulated to ensure accurate levels then they can do proper trials and research.

Also evaluating accupuncture.. how were the hot flashes measured, because i would guess that it was a subjective thing by participants. I am not anti alternative or complementary.. and i educate myself about what is out there however i based all my decisions on science and evidence.

• motheroffoursons
    motheroffoursons Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2013

Try looking up wornoutmom who went completely alternative.

• pupmom
    edited November 2013

Suzieq reported that wornoutmom has recently passed.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2013

wornoutmom passed away at age 39 this past Sunday. After experiencing liver, bone and brain mets she did seek conventional tx in the last several months of her life. She will be missed and mourned.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited November 2013

So sad--she was so young- Praying for her family----

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013

RIP wornoutmom God bless and take care of your family. =(

• 1ferret
    1ferret Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013

Is there anyone else using Dr Chi's stuff. I'm on Angiostop,Revivin,Asparagus,and Reishi Spore. The tumor went down by 1/4 inch in 5 days. I take 3 capsules of each 3 times a day. Then another 1/4 inch in the next week, now it's firmer than before,my nippley part is more sensitive,and the tumor does not feel like it's getting any smaller.

I am also eating no dairy, no aspartame,and very little sugar. I eat less bread,and am eating more veggies.

I'm eating supplements essiac and cucumin but just start the essiac and cucumin last week.

• pupmom
    edited November 2013

What's your diagnosis ferret?

• 1ferret
    1ferret Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013

I had 3 thermograms done,no biopsy. Last 2 said it was a malignant tumor. I started on the Dr Chi about 3 weeks after my diagnoses. My dr wanted to talk to dr Chi's patients before doing the Dr Chi protocol...it's expensive and my doc was treating cancer in other ways.