Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Comments

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited October 2013

Joellee I am reading the book Cancer is not a Disease, Its a Survival Mechanism, and that is sort of what he is saying in that book. That cancer is enclosing the waste, trapping it into one place to try to stop it from getting away and doing damage. Its pretty interesting.

• janamarlowe
    janamarlowe Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2013

Hi Green Girl:

Thank you for sharing. I grew up in Staten Island but having been living in Florida for the last 4 yrs with my dad - when he passed away in April he wanted to be buried here in NY with my mom - while here I figured I would do all my medical tests and found out I had stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma - so I went to a surgeon on SI and they did a lumpectpomy, since my oncotype is high 31, I did 20 days of double does rads - now they want me to do chemo and take femara - everything in my soul says :DONT DO IT" I am going to NYU Cancer Ctr in NYC for a second opinion - but I hear that Columbia is the best In NY for breast cancer. I have two questions for you: 1) who is your doc at Columbia and 2) where did you get the Vitamin C drip? I just finished rads Tuesday and they wanted me to start chemo today. I told them I needed time to do research. Is there anything else tha you found to be helpful besides the drip and diet? thanks,

jana

• GreenGirl1
    GreenGirl1 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013

Hi Jana,

I haven't posted alot here since my surgery in August but have been reading posts by these other lovely ladies. I will send you a PM. I have found that a clean diet is one of the most important things you can do to help keep yourself healthy. I believe that it protected me and strengthens my immune system. Almost 5 years after my initial diagnosis, my aggressive (ER-,HR-,HER2+) cancer was kept at bay. It was also found early which is obviously key. Initially I had lumpectomies but refused chemo and radiation. No one can tell me now that those treatments would have prevented the small recurrence I just experienced. They actually don't think they would have and I agree. I am seeing Dr. Wong this time and am on his herbal program. He is confident that his herbs and my lifestyle will keep me healthy going forward.

Best of luck!

• bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2013

Dear Abigail48

I think you must question what people tell you and research everything on a few different websites.

Many people are going to tell you things that are not correct or not quite correct. Be careful of what you believe.

I hope this website will be of help for you to see what food contains what nutritional values.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=21

and also

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=76

Note there is a search field so you can check out the nutrients in any natural food.

Sentinal node biopsy is highly recommended. Only the first lymph node is traced and removed and checked during surgery - if found to be infected then and only then are more nodes removed.

Wishing you all the best

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited October 2013

thanks for the links, bounce, will check them out later. I've been listening to gary null pretty. regularly with occasional years long breaks when I couldn't get to his radio show do to my cable company. he always says try it out & if it doesn't work don't do it about his recommendations. as for biopsy: it seems to me most everything offered by modern medicine causes inflamation, & that will add to the inflamation which is disease & trauma (has everyone noted I now know how to edit?)

• abigail48
    edited October 2013

can't seem to get the links. needs a download & it doesnt seem to download............& again remember side effects are effects.........think I posted that gary said recently that dcis & lcis have been re-classified as non cancer. (then when or if they cha...nge they're just added & subtracted a letter. (he didn't say that I said that) food? will try to remember

• abigail48
    edited October 2013

went out to take leaf color photos & the wild maitaki had fruited again, took inside & washed dirt & grass etc & put it under the full spectrum 100 watt bulb. hope it drys fast. I just found yorkis rants so I know it's sometimes difficult to read everything, I did post that gary has said get steel cut outs, pour boiling water over them & wait 15 minutes. add cinnemon....gonna try

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170
    edited October 2013

DCIS and LCIS are clearly the subject of controversy. There is no official "declassification" of them as cancers. They are abnormal cells which are in the ducts or lobes and have not become invasive. Some will never become invasive, some will. There is currently no way to know which will and which won't. There is also no way to know , for those that do become invasive, exactly when this will happen. Herein, lies the controversy regarding whether to treat or not. Both doctors and patients are left without clarity on what to do. I think many go with more aggressive tx because they hope for it to never become invasive. Others choose to watch and wait. The problem with this is that what you're waiting for is it to become invasive. It really does pose a dilemma . There is a thread about this with extensive opinions and points of view. It's great food for thought.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2013

They always tell you that LCIS is not cancer but a high-risk condition. There has been a movement for quite some time to refer to it as Lobular Neoplasia. It is different from DCIS though in that most cases of LCIS don't progress while there is no way to tell which cases of DCIS may progress to invasive ductal cancer.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the clarification, Melissa!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited October 2013

I think everything that is considered pre-cancer should be gotten rid of. I had 2 pre-cancers in my colon and have pre-skin cancers zapped on a regular basis (from years and years in the So.CA. sun.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2013

Well, Dogs&Jogs, considering the odds are that fewer than 20% of LCIS progressing and 12% of women with no risk factors get breast cancer, I'd just as soon keep my breasts.

• abigail48
    edited October 2013

yeah, me as well though at this point I'm not sure what to call that one.........in the post deleted by a member suggested & the mods for a adjective & a mention, no prob really I also said I'd been out photographoing leaf color & found that the maitaki sp? had refruited. b4rought a big bit inside & washed off the dirt & grass & have it under the full spectrum 100 wat light bulb (from the internet as you pretty much can no longer buy conventional light bulbs & gary has said that those curly ones all have hairling cracks which give of nuclear radiation. & I said I hope it dries soon as I'll be away for the computer as usual for several days this week & next. also mentioned that gary says to get steel cut oats, pour boiling water over them add cinnemon (if you like) & wait 15 minutes

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013

I think this is where each person has to make a decision with respect to risk tolerance. Some are more risk averse than others and if you are one of those folks, the psychological stress of even a small risk, makes it comforting to seek tx. Others are content to watch and wait. Until we come up with definitive ways to determine when/if non invasive cancers become invasive, it will always boil down to how much risk you're willing to tolerate.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited October 2013

I'm very risk averse. Not sure if I would opt for a full mastectomy if I had LCIS, but would certainly consider a lumpectomy. I agree with dogs, if I have pre-cancer, get it out!

• melissadallas
    edited October 2013

Yorkiemom, you can't do a lumpectomy with LCIS. It tends to be diffusely through both breasts. I'd be perfectly happy to just have a little piece of it removed if that were possible.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited October 2013

I didn't know that Melissa. Thanks for the info.

• SEAVIEWLANE
    SEAVIEWLANE Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2013

Hi

Haven't been on here in awhile. Been on Dr. Wong's herbs for two weeks now. Have had no side effects and am starting to sleep a little longer than 2 hours at a stretch and my mood is so much better - balancing those hormones I guess. I had stopped femara March 2013 and won't go back. When I met with Dr. Wong I had a real hard time understanding him so I did not ask as many questions as others have so am glad for all the input. He does not recommend the aromatase inhibitors but did say I should think about taking tamoxifen and he would be able to help with any side effects that may occur.

Joellee when was the last time you talked or emailed him? I am curious why he did not recommend tamoxifen to you. If you do communicate with him ask him. He just saw me a few weeks ago and I live in CT. I know he will be working at Beth Israel Medical Center starting in the Spring. Also trying to find your post where you talk about the supplements you are on.

Certain things catch your eye, but only pursue those that capture the heart. Ancient Indian Proverb

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited October 2013

Why does Dr Wong not recommend aromatase inhibitors? Because they prematurely age your body (i am surmising here) ? Or anither reason.....

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2013

Lily, I obviously don't know, but I have noticed that quite a few docs seem to have a strong preference for one or the other.

My onc is "team tamox" whereas my surgeon (and lead doc) is "team femara." My onc likes tamox because it doesn't negatively affect the bones (although I just saw somewhere that this may not hold true).

My surgeon is an AI supporter, in part, I think, because he was involved in that large study comparing the effectiveness of the two. It was my surgeon who supported me in having the ooph and going on an AI. The study was not yet published then, so I was going on gut. But his support must have been colored by what he already knew from experience and the study.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2013
    Dr. Wong never mentioned me taking Tamoxifen. I did mention to him that I was afraid to go on it as I have a family history of endo/ovarian cancer and I didn't want to chance it w/ Tamoxifen since it can cause those types of cancers as well. I already have endo/ovarian cysts and was afraid to antagonize it. He says he has an herbal Tamoxifen that will work the same way and I didn't need to take pharma Tamoxifen. I started with him this past May.
  • jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2013
    Seavie....Maybe since I have ILC and you have IDC is the difference in the Tamoxifen recommendation as I don't think ILC responds as well to Tamoxifen? I do know my hormones are being balanced with his herbal version as my cycles are extremely light now and my rosacea is gone.
  • justfarmthroughit
    justfarmthroughit Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013

Hey there, I am almost certainly going 100% natural. I had a biopsy come back as grade 2 infiltrating ductual carcinoma. That was on the 8th Aug. On the 25th July after I was told I needed a biopsy after the ultrasound showed the lump was suspicious, I went to a naturopath as I was worried and asked what I could do to help myself as I was confident the news was going to be bad. She suggested a complete dietary over haul - no sugar, eliminate all processed food, heaps of organic veges, no fruit for now, no carbs - pasta, rice limited starchy veges. High dose vit C, iodine - an iodine test showed my levels were low, cysteine and a good multi vitamin. On the 18th Sept I had a partial mastectomy and3 nodes removed. The results came back that the lump was now grade 1 but there was a micromass in one of the nodes. They are recommending hormone therapy and radiotherapy. I have consumed as much info as I can on these treatments and the only conclusion I can come to is that the only progress they have made with these treatments including chemo is that they have fined tuned them to where they are killing less people with the treatments not curing as the chances of long term survival hasn't changed much. No one can give me a logical answer to why the cancer was down graded just that its rare and normally it comes back as more aggressive, its not subjective its a measure so it frustrates me when they blow the first grading as just provisional - they are avoiding telling me it had become less aggressive.

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2013

Hello! I am so glad to hear that your cancer was downgraded. As this is the second time around for me I am losing more and more faith in the medical community here so perhaps I am not the best one to answer you. My first cancer was stage one grade one estr/ prof positive and they wanted me to have a double mastectomy and chemo. I fought the Dr. all the way and that cancer was cured without either. It seems to me Dr.s treat everyone the same and want patients who are scared and don't ask questions. Like I said,I may be the wrong person to answer your question! If I could give advise to anyone in the medical field it would be to NEVER give patients your personal opinion! As someone who is BRCA2 positive I have had my fill of people who look at me like a walking cancer magnet and give me their two cents on a gene I know more about then them. Sorry to rant! My main point to you is to go with your gut and research everything at valid medical sites. As you found out from your testing - dr's don't know everything! Best of luck.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited October 2013

Hi CindyD, I wonder how you are doing, i see you open this tread in 2011 looking for someone who did not take chemo, rad etc Unfortunately for me i felt i had not choice , but now i have chosen to not take anything else, but exercise, eat healthy and live life.   Let me know how are you doing. Hope all is well.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013

justfar...

The stage/grade given at biopsy is always preliminary as it is done a a small bit of tissue. The pathology report after lumpectomy or mastectomy is the final report based on analysis of all of the tissue. That is all there is to it! No one "blew" anything. They just have a complete picture after surgery.

• hjpz
    edited October 2013

Hello. I was wondering of anyone who has a mastectomy with implant reconstruction has taken any supplements before or after surgery to aid healing? I have read about Arnica Montana, Bromelain with Quercetin, Vitamin C & E. I plan to ask if I can take any of all of these but wondered about real patients who have used any or all of these and if they noticed any difference??

• ritagz
    ritagz Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013

I was wondering if any people with stage 1 and after menapuse chose not to do radiation becuase of the risks later on to other organs.

Are the studies really conclusive that if they get the whole tumor - smaller than 2cm and no lymph involvement, that radiation still has enough of an effect to warrant the possible down side of the treatment.

I know the medical community uses it routine, but should it be in all cases ?

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited October 2013

I had my mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in 1982. I healed fine and did not use any creams or lotions or anything like that. Drain came out in 3 weeks and I was allowed to go back to work.

• hjpz
    edited October 2013

I did radiation after my first lumpectomy and had no issues but I know that is rare (I was also 29 years old and healthy). I found this article that may assist you

http://ww5.komen.org/KomenNewsArticle.aspx?id=6442452138