Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited September 2013
    Options

high protein plant foods 9from internet):  pumpkin seeds, asparagus, cauliflower, peanuts, mung sprouts, almonds, spinach brocolli, quinola

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks Abigail!

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

1 cup chopped dates = 3.6 grams protein.  lots of minerals, vvvvvvvsweet though

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited September 2013
    Options

Dogs, nuts are high in protein, and they are good for you anyway. I throw extra nuts in my morning muesli, I put them in salads, and you can also make a mock pate with mushrooms and nuts. Hazelnuts go particularly well with mushrooms.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks both of you for the ideas!

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2013
    Options

I was surprised to recently learn that green peas are a good source of protein (and fiber).

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited September 2013
    Options

Someone posted an article a long time ago about how good whey protein is for us. I've been using it in my smoothies since I read it. Undenatured and microfiltered without soy in it.

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

there seems to be a lot of whey in yogurt.  I use only organic whole milk plain

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

That's good to hear. I checked my frozen package of green beans and it has very little protein in it. Disappointing as I'm eating. it to lose some weight.

Does anyknow know what kind of bread has minium salt? I eat sour dough, but it has 220 gms of salt per slice and I eat 4 slices a day. 

Now I've found out that my swollen ankles may be caused by either a blood clot or too much salt or leftover from my recent knee problems. The NP said to tackle the salt problem first as the ortho doesn't think the knee problem caused the swelling and I'm already on a blood thinner (which is how they treat blood clots)

So I'm writing down everything I eat and try to avoid too much salt (as well as sugar) I'm sitting here craving my usual oatmeal cookie (no more of that!)  I guess I'll survive--no more Fritos either!   Oh well---I do eat a lot of veggies, but I guess they don't cancel out the bad stuff. I was hoping for that!

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

oooooh fritos.  been  a very long time for me.  I've begun to eat a bit of salt again, a slice or 2 of wholewheat organis sour dough with no yeast has sea salt.  & some (new) delicious organic vegetarian burritos, (white flour tortillas covering)  beans yeum yum been a long time for that.  bread is a problem a bit of sea salt may be okay for the iodine.  but I suggest making your own:  you can make a sourdough starter (though gary null says sour dough is toxic), make a bit of yeast 7 flour together & contain it in a plastic containter for a few days then when it smells right add a bit to your bread dough, remembering to save a bit out for your next loaf

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

yeast flour water perhaps a bit of salt for the starter.  I remember trying to make alice b toklas cookies from her receipe but she didn't mention water........

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

I guess I could do that. With the kids grown I don't bake anymore. I think I have a bread cookbook somewhere. Thanks for the idea Abigail!  I must stop being so lazy and do some cooking for myself.

• SEAVIEWLANE
    SEAVIEWLANE Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    Options

I believe Dr. Wong meant all lean protein including beef. The trick is to get wild caught fish, organic grass fed beef and chicken. As a vegetarian while I consumed beans and whole grains I often turned to tofu or processed food by Quorn. My labs have always been good. But now I am going to change it so I eat less pasta, sweets, and pretty much eliminate processed foods. So while reading the omni-diet I have decided to go 70% plant based and 30% lean protein. There is so much controversy out there on which diet to choose but I think by adding in lean chicken and fish, reducing my whole grains (not eliminating like the keto diet) and minimizing sugar I will be able to lose weight and stay healthy. 

Momine thanks for the info about the removal of lymph nodes. As far as lymphedema goes I know the signs and always watch myself carefully - even if I get a mosquito bite. And while appreciate all of the care and comments by Dr. Wong it will be up to me to decide what I follow. But I have my fingers crossed that the tea mixture works as predicted. In a world of evidence based medicine sometimes you have to look beyond what is proven. After all look at all the medicinal qualities found in marijuana when just 15 years ago it was only categorized by the media as a drug used by miscreants.

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

that's a slice or 2 of the sourdough a we.ek (not a day)......I havn't used butter (except in cream & yogurt for going on 7 years now), for the bread I "butter" it with coconut oil

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

No wonder I've gained 20 lbs in the last few months. Unable to jog because of my messed-up knee, I sit at the computer and eat 4 or 5 slices of bread with peanut butter every day!!

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2013
    Options

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I have been drinking green smoothies almost daily with whey protein (not soy) for a few years but alas my breast cancer has returned.  I have the gene mutation so to be honest I don't think there was anything diet wise that could have helped me (believe me I tried).

• NYIrish
    NYIrish Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

CindyD have you managed to beat breast cancer with alternative methods only?

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    Options

I don't eat soy, but what is wrong about it?

My nutritonist told me to use coconut oil as well for cooking.

I have stopped drinking cow milk and as much as I can cheese, etc.

I am 36 and have decided for surgery, chemo and rads.  then no more want to balance my hormones naturally. If I were 60 or more I would definitely have chosen only surgery. So many drugs damage the rest of our body and I am positive that homeopathy is working. :)

i have also been wondering about cindyd. I am sure she is doing well. :)

Take care!

• Hempangle
    Hempangle Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I think you already know what you want to do so go for it.Gods on your side. 

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2013
    Options

Seavie...I didn't quite understand your post...are you saying Wong recommended Tamoxifen for you?  I am stage 3 as well, had 7 positive nodes and he said nothing about taking Tamoxifen.  He also recommended some meat, doesn't explain why except to joke that "God put cow on planet for reason...so eat cow!"...LOL

He highky recommends med rare lamb and I have researched and learned that lamb is one of the easier meats to digest.  He also recommends everything goat....milk/cheese...very alkaline...he does NOT recommend any cow milk products as it has high content of lactic acid etc... I have had many women here pm me privately to see how I am doing on his herbs and what exact supplements I am taking...so, I am going to address all of the questions in a post this afternoon.

Oh, he also recommends some limited juicing and HIGHLY recommends coffee enemas which I haven't been brave enough to try yet.

• jojo68
    edited October 2013
    Options

I also don't have lymphedema yet and I had 29 nodes out...and I am a full time wedding photographer carrying around heavy equipment all day!....I have read that lymphedema chances are higher when you have radiation which I refused. Laughing

• abigail48
    edited October 2013
    Options

the exercise could be keeping it away, for me discomfort vanishes when I work hard, back the next day though

• jojo68
    edited October 2013
    Options

Abigail, did you have radiation?  Just curious.

• abigail48
    edited October 2013
    Options

I've not been diagnosed.  I don't do doktors.  (see the locked forum), so I don't have anything.  according to beesie? I now have 1DC, that in 2 and a half years, or 3 years, or 50 years counting as to how you count, It has changed to invasive.  I'm currently attempting to get insurance, seem to be falling through the cracks, I wouldn't do conventional medicine no matter if I get it.  (but may need a nurse if it goes on & on).  as I said here a coup;e of times I think the 1 exray I had to a front tooth, with no lead apron, started the cyst to go bad.  that was in '02 I think

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2013
    Options

Rads and lymphedema? Had no idea but will do some research!!!

I am also curious about what dr Wong says about tamoxifen.

I am also planning on herbs + homeopathy + acupuncture. Tamoxifen really scares me.

Take care!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ah, one of my favorite parts of the alternative forum. You can diagnose yourself!

• Annie54
    Annie54 Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    Options

Abigail,

Regarding insurance, if you are over 50, there is a specific Medicare program called BCCCP for women without health insurance, over 50 yo with breast cancer. Doesn't matter what your income is to qualify. Only hitch, you must sign up for the program before diagnosis. The breast center sent me to sign the paperwork a few hours before my biopsy. They pay 100% of treatment costs. As a self employed single mom - it has saved my life financially.

Annie

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2013
    Options

Annie, that should work for Abigail, since she has not had any DX yet. What a great program! I am so glad it helped you.

• abigail48
    edited October 2013
    Options

perhaps I don't plan to get diagnosis or treatment though I may need a home nurse at some point or even if (unlikely) accident the nospital.  I dont drive but do get rides ddnow & then

• abigail48
    edited October 2013
    Options

tomorrow may be the trip for it:  I'm thinking hrs long lines & I wonder if I'll have patience for them