Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2013
    Options

fredntan - I LOVE pureformulas. They carry the top of the line supplements. No sales tax (unless you're in NY, I believe) and free shipping.

ETA: A link would have been nice, huh? Laughing http://pureformulas.com/

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2013
    Options

Joelle, thanks, I have tried checking those groups, but it is almost impossible to find any real info because there are so many posts and irrelevant things thrown into the mix.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited August 2013
    Options

The best one is cancercured....Another great one is Breastcancerthinktank...I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned on these groups...more so than anywhere else.

• bcfree2013
    bcfree2013 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    Options

I've read that broccoli, watercress, and bitter melon are effective in killing breast cancer cells. I've started to eat them regularly. Are there any other veggies/food that are particularly anti breast cancer?

• MothersDaughterTNBC
    MothersDaughterTNBC Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2013
    Options

I'm new to all this but I am hearing a lot more about cannabis. Looks like since you're in Washington you wouldn't have an issue getting some. I keep hearing about Rick Simpson's oil which is cannabis oil.

Other foods-

Blueberries (any berries are good)

Curcumin

Mushrooms

Flaxseed

Pomegranate

Garlic

Green tea

Peppers

Walnut

Ginger

Grapes

Broccoli sprouts

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Hope that helps!

Shannon

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,830
    edited August 2013
    Options

Those are all fantastic and healthy foods and good nutrition is important to us all. I wish that nutrition alone was enough to keep the beast at bay.

• Momine
    edited August 2013
    Options

Bronxgirl, agreed. Certainly though, good nutrition can do a lot to minimize any other health problems as well as some side effects of treatment. If it has even a small effect against the beast too, then all the better.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited August 2013
    Options

I think we use the wrong concept here, none of these foods offer a cure BUT if we have higher levels of their nutrients in our systems we have better fuel for our bodies to work to the optimum at keeping cancer cells contained and unable to grow

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited August 2013
    Options

Lily55,

Ditto!! A'cure' for cancer does not exsist. Everyone has cancer in there system. Avoiding the food that can potentialy feed the cancer like sugar, (devil dogs and ring dings Hostess cakes that were what I took to bed everynite bofore dx), hormone and pesticide laced foods ,etc.  Eating to stay healthy and empower your immune system is the best natural fight we have. Some of us are more vulnerable than others to all the shit in our enviornment. Most of my friends eat what I ate and may never get cancer. Our bodies make up and vulnerabilities are all different. I apparently got the shitty vulnerableities, so, bring on the organics.

Maureen...xox

• bcfree2013
    bcfree2013 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the list!

Btw, I love pomegranate, but it is high in natural estrogen, so I try not to eat it very often.

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2013
    Options

There's been a lot of research on the possible benefits of phytoestrogens on breast cancer. This is interesting in regards to pomegranite and eR+ bc.

http://blog.pomegranatehealth.com/index.php/are-you-afraid-of-the-pomegranates-natural-estrogen/

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you for posting.... I have been drinking a lot of unsweetened pomegranate juice lately and had NO idea....

• chef127
    edited August 2013
    Options

I know in some cultures, pomagranites are used for fertility. I didn't know they were estrogentic. I thought all the seeds were a sign of ovarian eggs.............Same thing?

I love pomagranites and juice. I cook with pomagranite syrup. Delish.  If you can find a pure form. My mom used to make her own and keep a large crock of it under the sink and I would sneak a spoonful...or 2. Very concentrated.

The season for poms is mid Nov-mid Dec. For the first time I'm seeing fresh poms year round. Anyone know where they are coming from? Impoted, hothouse??

• Momine
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chef, good question. I think the summer poms come from South America. They cost a fortune here. 

In Greece, you serve "kolyva" when you have a memorial for someone who died. It is a mix of pomegranate seeds, parsley, wheat berries and sugar. It sounds very strange, I know, but it tastes surprisingly good. As a result, they import pomegranates to have them available for that purpose.

• Lily55
    edited August 2013
    Options

If you are taking tamoxifen or AIs you should not take phytooestrogens as it seems research as shown they can be hijacked and work against you according to leading Oncologist at Royal Marsden in London

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you, Lily that was my next question. ...

• chef127
    edited August 2013
    Options

Momine,

Leave it to the Greeks to add parsley to a sweet dish and make it delish. There is a Christian holiday in the mideast St. Barbara? and we serve a similar dish but w/o parsley, added jorden almonds, candied caraway seeds, golden raisins, spices, walnuts and lots of poms.Thanx for jogging my memory.

xox

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2013
    Options

I have gotten addicted to parsley and add it to veggies, potatoes, rice, beans.

Yesterday I made a salad of avocado, tomatoes, mushrooms and parsley. Very tasty.

My blood had gotten very thin due to being on an antibiotic for a tooth extraction, so the nurse PN said to go wild with the greens until it stabilizes. So I did!

I also add mushrooms to everything. Trying to emphasize these things in order to get off the cookies--Usually if I eat something bulky I will lose the sugar craving (for a few hours) Also eat 2 apples a day for the same reason.

• Momine
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chef, how funny, I was just reading about that St. Barbara celebration yesterday. Where in the ME are your roots?

Dogs, parsley is great and full of calcium, iron and other good stuff. I eat piles. I also put it in the blender with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice and use that as salad dressing or sauce for fish.

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks Momine - will try the sauce!

• QueenSansaStark
    QueenSansaStark Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2013
    Options

That sauce sounds delish, Momine. I will have to try it.

Parsley keeps your breath fresh, too. Perhaps that is why it's used as a garnish - you are supposed to nibble on it after your garlicky dinner! Laughing

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2013
    Options

Fry parsley in a pan after cooking something with a strong scent - like fish - and it will "freshen" the air...

• jojo68
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hmmmm...Interesting, I was just about to order a concentrated Pomegranite supplement....was supposed to be very good for breast cancer I had heard?

http://www.hopeforcancer.com/ellagic.html

• Lily55
    edited August 2013
    Options

That has Graviola with it so may counteract any oestrogenic properties?

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2013
    Options

I love all the posts!!!! 

I have a list of what to include in my daily diet... I hope it becomes a routine. Most of it is what I have basically being doing my whole life, but now I am introducing or eating more or certain veggies or fruits or vitamins, as well as taken out others.

All your post help me to take these decisions.  I have also visited a nutritionist that has studies herbs (or whatever you call it), a doctor you believes in body and mind, homeopathy, etc etc.  So tons of info... 

I am working on this list and including every "product" that everyone uses.  Have not finished... it is getting bigger and bigger, hahaha   When I finish, hope to do it fast, I plan to filter it.  As someone said, with what I feel, believe, have faith with.  And by the end will have my own diet, one which I have faith and be able to comply (sometimes there are things that I just know I will not do !) 

I am taking graviola... I can find graviola leaves and drink them as a tea...

Thanks for the parsley recipe salad... 

Regarding cannabis, I also have read a lot... i do use afer chemo.. It helps so much...I have appetite, feel better... and I just use a little bit...

Now back to work!!!!! 

• jojo68
    edited August 2013
    Options

I asked a man who is well respected on our Cancercured yahoo group about this formula and this was his answer...

> have read that pomegranate can have estrogenic qualities that are not so great for estrogen + breast cancers?

I wouldn't judge a product because it has a small amount of 1 substance that allegedly may have some slight negative (or positive) effect. Also, most concern about "estrogenicity" of natural substances is irrational or excessive.

Pomegranate's a great treatment for breast cancer (BC) and other cancers:

It promotes “differentiation in leukemia….extract[ed] and ferment[ed] pomegranate fractions…have antiproliferative, anti-invasive, anti-eicosanoid, and pro-apoptotic action on breast and prostate…anti-angiogenic….fermented and pericarp extracts have greater effect than the fresh juice on cancer [& leukemia]” www.denvernaturopathic.com (Pomegranates: an update 5/27/04)
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15744587 (PC)
    www.lef.org/newsletter/2010/1214_Pomegranate-May-Help-Prevent-Prostate-Cancer-Metastasis.htm

BREAST:
    http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/pomegranates; effective w/ER- BC (http://foodforbreastcancer.com [AACR 2007]); aromatase inhibitor (www.naturalnews.com/027947_pomegranates_brst_cancer.html)
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10549-012-2264-5 (antimetastatic)
    "PE [pomegranate extract]...preventing proliferation of [breast] cancer stem cells"
    Oncol Rep. 2010 Oct;24(4):1087-91.
    Banerjee et al., 2011, "Pomegranate sensitizes tamoxifen action in ER-α positive breast cancer cells"

PROSTATE: “46 men with rising PSA after prostate cancer treatment…who consumed 8 ounces…pomegranate juice daily over two years, PSA doubling time increase from 15 to 54 months [i.e., PC growth greatly slowed down]” (cited by Ralph Moss in TownsendLetter.com July 2010). “39 PubMed hits for <prostate pomegranate> [but only 1] human study [Pantuck]:
    http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/12/13/4018.long
    A 2009 review paper includes a summary of PCa studies:
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2989797
    For more info on pomegranate & PC
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/natural_prostate_treatments/message/22701
    (Patrick O'Shea, 7/19/11)

For more info,
    www.naturopathydigest.com/archives/2006/apr/schor.php (Jacob Schor ND)
    www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Pomegranate-seed-may-cause-breast-cancer-cells-to-self-destruct
    www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20100105/pomegranates-may-stall-breast-cancer?ecd=wnl_brc_010510
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20043077 (punicic acid for breast cancer)
    http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/12/13/4018.long ("Pantuck's 2006 [ellagic acid] Phase II intervention study...8 oz pomegranate juice")
    www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20060705/pomegranate-slows-prostate-cancer
    http://universityofcalifornia.edu/sites/uchealth/2010/12/12/researchers-id-components-in-pomegranate-juice-that-could-stop-cancers-spread
    (antimetastatic)

• Momine
    edited August 2013
    Options

Joelle, anything that is good for prostate cancer and ER- breast cancer should probably not be used by patients with ER+ cancers. Just saying.

• Eileen73
    Eileen73 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    Options

Cindy D , thank you for this post. I am wondering since your post what have you been doing. This is encouragement for me to see someone else is doing alternative.

I have been diagnosed with bc in april 2013, had double mastc. In may 2013. Then wanted to contionue with alternative. I know I am not considered %100 alternative , at the time I was scared , I was told my cancer was aggressive.

2.9 cm tumor. er+ pr+ her2+

Now i am following Bill Henderson's protocol he has book " cancer free" i am juicing organic vegtables, and working with herbalist to balance my hormones,

I am not taking tamaxifen, chemo or herceptin.

I still research about herceptin, anyone out there her2+ survived without herceptin?

Healthy days to everyone.

• chef127
    edited August 2013
    Options

Momine,

Both my parents were from Alleppo, Syria. Our diet A Meditteranian Diet was chock full of vegetables , herbs, fruits, beans and legumes, herbs, and very little meat. Parsly was in most salads and sometimes parsley was the main ingredient in salad (tabuleh). Yogut was made fresh as needed. Parsley was always chopped into the burgers, Kefta. Even b'fast was tomato wedges, sliced cucks, olives. syrian cheese, also known as string cheese. and pita. Pita with everything. Fava beans w raw garlic and lemon and always olive oil. for b'fast, never bacon and eggs. Turkish or Greek boiled coffee, very healthy. Growing up I was a bit embaresed by our menu. I was 16 before I had roast beef and mashed potatoes. YUM. My mom was always in the kitchen and soon all my friends and neiborhood kids were eating this strange fare...and LOVING IT. I should try to get back on this healthy and simple diet.

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chef, that sounds like my type of diet. I don't eat meat anymore and have never liked it that much. Since becoming vegetarian I eat a lot of the stuff you mention and feel so much better on it.