Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks!  It appears there are 3 different tests - this is all new to me so I will need to look into it :)

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited September 2013
    Options

hipz,

there are 3 diffierent geno tests. Oncotypedx, mammoprint, and blueprint??, My onco recomended the oncodx test after I said no thanx to chemo and 3 months after surgery which she said was too late to do it anyway. She felt it would come back in the low range which made me believe that my turmor was not so aggresive. It came back at 28, high intermediate, still no regret that I turned down the chemo, no mattet the outcome. Mamoprint will give you a more definitive answer, Yes or No to chemo, I know nothing about Blueprint.

For me, the test armed me with more info on my BC status, so I can deal with it MY  WAY,

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

xox...Maureen

• hjpz
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks!  Yeah I just saw the info about the mammoprint this weekend.  I think I agree with your plan - get the test done for info purposes and still not have chemo.  Here's my thinking - if breast cancer is all that that runs in my family (majorly) if I have a double mastectomy and my lumph nodes are clear (as they are on the MRI) why poison all the great stuff I have been doing to my body since I found the first BC 12 years ago?  What I don't like is that this is still the standard treatment for early stage BC with no lymph nodes effected.  So many women with BC are scared and think they have to do whatever their Dr. says.  It makes me sad :(  

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited September 2013
    Options

I does depend on the size, stage and grade whether someone needs chemo. Luckily I was told I didn't need it.

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2013
    Options

Please don't forget, that breast cancer cells can by-pass the lymph nodes/system entirely and move directly into your blood and spread that way.  Please take this into consideration when designing your treatment plan.

• SEAVIEWLANE
    SEAVIEWLANE Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    Options

Glad to have found this site. Going to see Dr. Wong Saturday. I have been wringing my hands deciding what I can do to keep self healthy so seeing him is where I decided to start. Looking forward to what he has to say! I took Femara for one year and have had enough -

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited September 2013
    Options

SEAVIEWLANE,

Welcome. Great choice to see Dr Wong. I have a lot of confidence in his knowlledge and use of herbs to balance our hormones without depleting them. Good luck.

Maureen

• hjpz
    edited September 2013
    Options

From the early tests it is the same stage and grade as my first BC 12 years ago and I skipped chemo then as well. My Dr. indicated that was cured this is just a brand new cancer in the opposite breast.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

Same thing happened to me: new primary in the other breast. But mine were 28 years apart.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2013
    Options

Yes...Dr. Wong is awesome...totally balancing my hormones. I asked him what herb he's using to clear my rosacea also and he said herbs are not rocket science. He said rosacea is caused by hormonal imbalance which is interesting since I have rosacea and BC!.

• hjpz
    edited September 2013
    Options

Wow!  28 years!  That sounds like my aunt - she was in her early 40's with the first and early 70's with the second.  This is why I know I can not keep either of them but it is really hard :( 

• hjpz
    edited September 2013
    Options

I have Rosacea too!  I told my Dr. the first time around that I think they need to study how many woman had horrible periods or other hormal issues before BC because I also used to have really bad periods and get crazy acne/migranes during my time of the month.    

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2013
    Options

Ever since Dr. Wong mentioned the Rosacea and hormonal imbalance, i have been researching the connection,,,,fascinating!

Check this article out...

http://www.lifesource4life.com/conditions/c-rosacea.htm

Other points I find interesting...

"Although we understand the elements that make rosacea worse, there is no one underlying cause of this. Skin conditions generally point to some kind of digestive problem, and rosacea is no exception. Many rosacea sufferers have been found to have low levels of stomach acid, which prevents proper digestion of trace minerals and possibly the overgrowth of bacteria that aggravates the skin. Sluggish bowels and constipation may have a similar effect on digestion. And whenever pimples or red spots appear, it’s likely that the skin is pushing out toxins that an impaired digestive tract is unable to process. Leaky gut syndrome, which is characterized by malabsorption, may be an issue for people with rosacea. Also, B-vitamin deficiencies, especially of B12, are common with this condition. Friendly flora that are involved with detoxification and that prevent the overgrowth of infectious bacteria are often depleted. We have also found that rosacea becomes a problem as the result of a hormone imbalance. Premenopausal and menopausal women often find that rosacea starts to act up until they get their hormones balanced with natural therapies. On the other hand, synthetic hormone replacements and birth control pill use initiate or worsen this condition for some women. Finally, hidden food allergies may cause flushing that is mistaken for Rosacea."

I have digestive issues as well and have also read that women with breast cancer usually have low amounts of B12 ....soooo many things to ponder.

• PaulaG1
    PaulaG1 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Options

I just made an appointment with a doctor of naturapathy to consider going alternative from this point forward. I am tired of feeling crummy from the hormone "therapy". Wish I had looked into it sooner. Hope you do well.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Joellelee,

Do you take Vitamin E along with selenium? I am not sure if Vitamin E is good for breast cancer. Also, I am in the process of trying to add some supplements to help prevent a recurrrence. I saw in your profile that you are taking Calcium D Glucorate, DIM, meletonin, Iodine and some others. Can you please tell me what brand are these vitamins and what dosage?  What about Glutathione?  I still do not know if DIM is better than I3C. Thanks so much for your help. I am glad your treatments with Dr. Wong are successful. 

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello everyone!

I have not been posting recently but reading all your posts! Taking care of my nutrition and my emotions to try to balance myself in order to fight BC, although I am doing chemo. I have finished 4 of them and now 12 to go (taxol). I have a couple of questions since a lot of you have done chemo and other treatments:

1. I used homeopathy to help me go through chemo and to help me fight against its effects in my body.  As some of you say, I dont like what it does on the rest of my body even if it should fight the cancer cells. Any other suggestion?

2. My onc said that I would do radiation next and then hormone therapy.  I am evaluating the hormone therapy since I have read about sooo many side effects.  besides, I am 36 and it is definetely not contributing to my life (i.e. my life with my husband).  I will use homeopathy and I have been reading about Dr. Wong and definitely an option, as well as acupuncture that was mentioned on this thread.

As I said, right now trying to find an equilibrium in my life, hoping that will help. I believe in the power of the mind however I dont think it is enough to fight, at least not for me. So nutrition and vitamins (I am taking Omega 3, vit C, milk thistle, CoQ10, natural alpha lipoic acid, coenzyme b complex, I3C) and homeopathy is what I am basically focusing myself.

have a great week!

• SEAVIEWLANE
    edited September 2013
    Options

Went and saw Dr. Wong on Saturday. As I am Stage III recommended I take tamoxifen even though I am post-menopausal - I got the impression he did not like the aromatase inhibitors. Anyway he said my mixture would contain about 30 herbs. I am starting off with the tincture but the option to boil my own from the herbs is available.  We met for little over an hour. I was impressed as he was able to detect an irregular heart rhythm. I have had only one other MD catch this when I have had a physical.  He also does not like a vegetarian diet which I follow. Gives me alot to think over until I see my oncologist in October. Presently reading the OMNI diet which is 70% plant and 30%protein.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

Did he say why he did not like the vegetarian diet?. Just curious!

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited September 2013
    Options

Possibly vegetarian substitutes?

• SEAVIEWLANE
    edited September 2013
    Options

He did not really expound on the vegetarian diet too much. Felt that lean meat provided the best protein for health and that there was not enough scientific data to support not eating meat.  I also have alot of trouble sleeping more than 2 hours at a stretch and he said eating meat may help. From my perspective on being vegetarian it has been hard to create a diet without processed soy products. Anyway I may look at grass-fed-organic meat but have not fully decided yet.

I must say he was angry that they took so many lymph nodes out (26) - and the increased risk of lymphedema.  I can see from other posts that is really high, but no one discusses how many nodes they will remove if necessary.

I also just received my tea in the mail and it looks to be almost a cup per serving - will take my first dose tomorrow.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

I had 17 lymph nodes removed years ago and never got lymphedema.  So hopefully you won't either.  

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited September 2013
    Options

Seaview, I have seen stuff here and there to suggest that getting adequate protein is important in staying healthy as cancer patients. I can also see how lean meat or some fish would be a better choice than soy products. I tend to eat lean poultry and fish, as well as 1-2 eggs a week.

As far as AI vs tamox, there could be various reasons for preferring the tamox. My onc is partial to the stuff as well. However, in my case the cancer was lobular, and there is evidence that the AIs are superior against lobular.

The reason they can't say ahead of time how many lymph nodes they will take is that it varies greatly how many nodes people have. When they do the axillary clearance, they clear all the lymph nodes in a certain zone. In some people that zone has 10 nodes, in others close to 30. There are many things you can do to prevent and avoid lymphedema. Go see a good PT who specializes in breast cancer and get a proper consultation.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited September 2013
    Options

my nutritionist says not to allow node excision because the danger of infection is great

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

yesterday, after what nearly 2 years searching on the internet, I got some information on cysts that have gone bad.  in a proffessional medical site it was said that when aspiration sows blood, a biopsy sometimes indicates ductile cancer.  I still think this must be common, if it began with mexican birthcontrol estrogens fifty years ago as it did, I continues to take pills for the next 10 years.  the literature says hrt is dangerous but little or nothing about the pills.  granted earths population is too high, but there are better ways.  sympto thermal birth control as well as how to terminate a pregnancy after less than 3 weeks after conception should be taught in schols to all adolescents

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013
    Options

Really, Abigail?  I'd think the risk of missing undetected and treatable cancer, or the stress of not knowing if your nodes were clear would hugely trump the minor risk of infection.  Personally, I haven't heard anyone complain of infection, but it might be helpful to search the surgery sites to see if this is an issue.  I had two sentinel nodes removed, no infection. 

I'm interested that Dr. Wong recommends some lean protein.  I'm trying to establish my stay-healthy-forever diet and have been craving fish, fish, fish.  By protein, is he referring to four-legged sources, or is fish included?  Since radiation, beef (former favorite) tastes funny, and I've been delighted to skip those calories.

• dogsandjogs
    edited September 2013
    Options

I need sources of protein since I'm an "almost" vegan and don't eat meat or fish or eggs and no dairy products.  What do you guys recommend?  I eat beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, and of course lots of veggies. My  B12 was sky-high on my last blood test so cut those pills out. But I probably should take some--

PS I also have a protein drink daily. Love it!

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

yeah, difficult.....long ago a cancer survivor told me carrott juice has vit b12, I guess that's protein

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013
    Options

DogsandJogs, you probably already know all about balancing proteins, but a quick read of Diet for a Small Planet is always a joy.  I haven't read it in decades, but find myself thinking of it constantly as I move from my previous supersize diet to my new mostly plant based menu.

• abigail48
    edited September 2013
    Options

honey has protein, not sure about other bee products, but of course they're not vegan