Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi everyone, I am just back from vacation in Chautauqua Illinois- my husband's family's summer house, We had spotty internet and I had to do my work when we went somewhere that had it, so I didnt get to post. It was good to go away to rest and heal after finishing rads, and now is great to catch up and see how all the furkids are doing, and you wonderful women who post here!!

Gritgirl I am SO glad that Butch is doing better. Toto has had digestive issues and I sprinkle canine probiotic capsules on his wet food each evening- Lewie gets them too just for good measure although he can eat anything and get away with it (former street dog before his rescue). They seem to help. How sweet that you applied the greek yogurt for Butch!!!

Planet that will be one lucky dog to come live with you. yay!

Slickchickie how was back to work? are you super tired or is it good to be back in the land of us working stiffs?

off to work for me - hugs to all!

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2013
    Options

Oh Butch!  I am so glad he's feeling better!  That must have been super-scary.  I wish I could give him a kiss right now.

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    Options

So glad Butch is better! How scary, Jellybean is on Rimadyl and I would never guess there could be a reaction, so happy he's safe!

Sciencegal, glad you had a nice getaway!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks all. Planet banana. If your pup has a sensitive stomach, rimadyl can cause GI upset. One pup I had couldn't take rimadyl so I got her the adequan shots for her arthritis instead. Adequan is a miracle drug, BTW.

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

That is good to know, thank you gritgirl. Some days I can tell the Rimadyl isn't enough, I am going to ask about Adequan.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2013
    Options

Gritgirl - so good to hear that Bobo is recovering.  You must have been so excited to see a bit of a tail wag - always a good sign.  As you say, scary stuff. 

We had one of our cats have a terrible reaction to flea meds years ago.  We were in the midst of a terrible outbreak of fleas and treated all the animals.  We put the special cat spray on her, of course she fled under the bed afterwards.  About 10 minutes later she came staggering out to where we were, drooling, with glazed eyes.  Fortunately we figured out immediately what was going on and got her in the bathtub and immediately began washing off the stuff.  She recovered and lived many years afterwards, but it made us realize how toxic some of this stuff can be if the animal is sensitive to it. 

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited August 2013
    Options

Rymadil gave my Aussie the poos. Not great, they have very furry butts. Vet put him on Deramax with much better results.

I got it from Drs Foster & Smith, on line. Much cheaper, and flea, heart worm meds are too.

• slickchickie17
    slickchickie17 Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2013
    Options

Sciencegal: I'm glad you had a nice vacation! Going back to work is quite exhausting, but I'm on my feet all day. Probably wearing me out more than a desk job would, but it's good to be working.

Gritgirl: I'm glad Butch is feeling better!!!

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Slickchickie-

I hope your energy comes back more as the days go by. Be sure to keep hydrated okay? Our bodies really need it after all we've been through. I am glad you are happy to be back at work though, please take it as easy as you can and be good to yourself!!

Thanks to all for the advice on meds for our precious furkids. Toto is eight and just starting to show signs of a little arthritis after he has been asleep for awhile, he sometimes limps a little when he first gets up, but is otherwise running enthusiastically with no problems, and showing no signs of pain.

I do get him the hip and joint treats and supplements. Should I start him on some medicine or painkillers now, or is it not warranted until this is happening more often?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

• spookiesmom
    edited August 2013
    Options

Science gal

That's a tough call. I'd talk to the vet, the stuff is hard on the dogs. If he's doing pretty much ok now I think I'd wait and watch. But keep it as an option further on.

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you, that is what I had thought but I sure always want to do the best for these little guys. I will definitely ask our vet next time we go!

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

OMG, I just celebrated my birthday with my family. My dad knew we were missing Star and knows how much I love my Jellybean. He had my husband send him a picture and he had a cake made that looked JUST like her, like the cakes they make on those tv shows where they mold parts out of rice crispy treats. People came over from other parts of the restaurant to take pictures of it, it was so big and realistic. My dad is awesome :)

If I can figure it out (I'm on my phone) I will post a pic

• bobogirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Oooh!  Happy birthday Bananas!!!  Your cake sounds just beautiful. 

You deserve the happiest and best birthday ever because you are a most excellent mommy.  I'm sending you a big kiss from me and from  Jellybean and Star!  XXXXX

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you bobogirl ♡

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Happy belated birthday planetbananas!! I am just back from a business trip and catching up. That cake sounds awesome!

• gonegirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

That is a very nice dad. Happy birthday

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks sciencegal and gritgirl! My dad is a very thoughtful and generous person. I hope the business trip went well and that Butch is continuing to feel better

We are picking up our new addition to the family tomorrow, Pipsqueak. We are very excited :)

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Yay for pipsqueak- that is one lucky dog to be coming home with you!!!

:)

• gonegirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Good for pipsqueak and enjoy

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Planetbananas how is Pipsqueak settling in?

How is everyone else doing?

My pups and I are good, slowly finding this "new normal" they tell us will come after treatment. Slowly.

Hugs to all

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Pipsqueak is settling in amazingly well. He is a very very sweet dog. He has a marking problem but I'm working with him and training him out of it. The best thing is that he gets along with Jellybean and she is happy. I think star was too dominant for her personality.

the best news of all is that I had my PET scan on Monday to see why my tumor markers were going up. The scan was clean which is making me very happy, but I have another blood test today to check on the actual markers. But so far it looks like the markers went up because of my infection. So between that and a sweet little dog we're pretty happy around here :)

I can't find the button to upload a picture but I can't figure out a lot of stuff on this phone. I will try later.

Also, for those who are in the Los Angeles area Strut Your Mutt is coming up, the weekend of the 15th. I am going, if anyone else is planning on going message me and we can meet up :)

• sciencegal
    edited August 2013
    Options

Oh Planet- I am SOOOO happy about your scans! That makes my day so far. yay!!!!!! What great news!

And I am so glad that Jellybean is liking Pipsqueak. Good for her to have a new friend. Good luck with the marking issue, I guess Pipsqueak is just saying "MINE" in the doggie's own way, hopefully will settle down soon. It is hard to go to new homes I am sure. But what a lucky dog to have landed with you!

Happy weekend everyone

• bobogirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

Happy dancing about scans!!!  Bobo is dancing around with me, but he doesn't know why :)

• sciencegal
    edited September 2013
    Options

Bumping up for Milly, whose little Yorkie knew something was wrong before she did. A common theme!

Happy Sunday to all, we are off for a ride on a boat but cant take the dogs because ToTo is very afraid of the water. SIlly boy. The pups had a big walk this AM so will sleep peacefully while we are out and about.

This will be my first time going out on the water this summer, since I had surgery and then rads. It is great to be "back" to living life, and to have some energy again! I even just dug out my bikini, surprisingly it did not have cobwebs on it.

Hugs

• IngridJ
    IngridJ Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Sciencegal and everyone else,

So glad you had a good hol..

Have been MIA; away with my kids too skiing, (yes we have ski fields here in oz..) like your bikini, I was almost surprised to find my gear alive and still functioning.. But it did, and so did I.. So good to ski again.

Now back to shift houses; was about to move into modern townhouse and resigned to giving Coco to my ex for a while, but woke this morn to her licking my arm and wagging her tail whilst giving me that look., realised at that instant, can't do it.. Will keep looking for dog friendly abode.. Can't give up my comfort dog..

You will all relate. Glad Planet your new addition is going well.

Science hope you had fun on the boat...

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

Oh no. Around here for me it's love me, love my dog. If somebody can't deal with that, I don't need them in my life. That goes for living space too. Keep looking, it's out there!

• planetbananas
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! Pip is doing great!

Sciencegal and Ingrid that sounds so lovely that you were doing something fun and non-cancer related. It sounds like you both had a great time. 

And yes, love me, love my dog(s) absolutely

I am going to try to upload a photo of Pip - oh, great it looks like it worked Smile

pip

• bobogirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

Ohhhhhhh.  I LOVE him!

• planetbananas
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you,bobogirl! We do too :)

• IngridJ
    IngridJ Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2013
    Options

Planet; soooo cute...Pip looks like a bundle of fun...