Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited August 2013
    Options

Spookiesmom - hitting the "like" button!

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you Slickchickie, yes they do take a piece of you with them when they leave.

Farmerlucydaisy that is a great story. Jellybean is an avid possum hunter. She had one in her mouth once, I made her drop it and took her inside. My husband and I debated so long over who was going to dispose of what we thought was a dead possum that by the time I went outside (I lost the debate) it was nowhere to be found!! Boy was I happy :)

• farmerlucy
    edited August 2013
    Options

I love the name Jellybean. My little granddaughters have a book about Jellybean, but he is a bunny~

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

:)

She came from a puppy mill and had no name. The woman who picked her up gave her the name and said we could change it, but it just seemed to fit her.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited August 2013
    Options

I love these possum stories! Hilarious.

I guess the young ones must be easy prey since they just roll over when the dogs come to "hunt" them huh?

Too funny. Toto chases squirrels in the yard but fortunately is not swift enough to have ever caught one. Luckily- I have NO idea what he would do with it.

• slickchickie17
    slickchickie17 Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2013
    Options

Uh, Pony caught a fly today. Does that count as small game? Love the possum stories, those are some sneaky critters!!!

• SheilaB330
    SheilaB330 Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi fellow Dog-Mas!

My dear longterm companion Charley Standard Schnauzer who will 12 in another month collapsed the weekend before my first Chemo and I just sobbed that I could not do this without him. Ver assured us that is wasn't life threatening - Arthritis in his spine and evidently he had twisted bis back jumping on the couch. He id much better though if moves too fast on wood floor his legs spread out. He can't get up to lie beside me on the bed like he did non-stop after my surgery but he is always at foot of my bed in his cozy nee bolster bed with raised water and food dish next to him. Our 8 year old female also close at hand in her soft crate which is her little cave. I get to pee or get water and they are there. My guardians who worship at the Temple of Dog-Ma.

I live on a farm with my husband - and my horse Alula ("Winged-one") is far more focussed on me-- her eyes watch my every move. Grooming her with long painful strokes has been equine-therapy for range motion andy Lymphedema PT says that I have made SIGNIFICANT improvement in my measurements so hopeful to stave off getting Lymphedema with Alula's help though grooming her and my husband's horse and our shaggy Italian Maremma Livestock Guardian Dog was too much and I could pressure and painfulness so today at PT I'll be getting a Lymphedema compression sleeve and glove/gauntlet to wear while grooming. My profile picture is of me washing Alula's face-- the first post surgery exercise. When I groom her these days, she reaches around and nuzzles me. Oh what a gift. Our animals are our 4 legged angels but, I am blessed with so many human angels who are praying me through this cancer - I love them all. The God of my understanding is taking good care of me. Be well sisters and enjoy your companions on our scary journey. I couldn't do it without them!!! {{{{{hugs}}}}} Sheila

• farmerlucy
    edited August 2013
    Options

Sheila your fur babies sound so wonderful. I'm so glad you have them for this journey. Blessing to you as well my sister.

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

blessings to you too Sheila. All of your fur babies sound wonderful and I love that grooming your horse can be a part of your recovery.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2013
    Options

Spookie, are you the mother of the two one of whom carried around the ball of cheese because she didn't want the other one to have cheese, even though she was full?  It seems that toy game is similar!

Slickie, you will get your sparkle back.  I am so happy you are at your parents' house.  In the country sounds fantastic.  And you were able to take a leave from work, and just focus on your recovery.  My parents are total washouts where all of that is concerned.  You have excellent parents, even if they are driving you crazy right now!  

Don't worry about feeling like a duckling.  You are exceedingly beautiful.  And Capone thinks so too!  Just rest and watch your favorite movies.  Can you wrap a little ice pack in a towel and place it on your sore area yet?  That's what I do.

XXXX

• bobogirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Sheila, your post is so beautiful.  I love the stories of your beautiful children!  I want to kiss them all. XXX

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited August 2013
    Options

No cheese keep away here, but that does sound like something Spookie would do to Kris. She really can be a b$&ich.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited August 2013
    Options

I am on vacation away from my pups and really missing them! Fortunately my best friend is staying at our house with them and they LOVE her. Those little guys sure make it tough to travel!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2013
    Options

The cheese keepaway dog was mine - my wonderful doxie-beagle Gypsy.  She's been gone for several years now, but I still miss her.  She was a personality and a half!

• slickchickie17
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks, bobogirl, for being so darn positive! Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed, it gets hard to stay focused. I go back to work on 8/12, with restrictions & I'm already stressed out about so much! I have been laying in bed, watching tv with Capone all day. Just trying to veg out. I had my port removed yesterday afternoon, so I'm happy about that but very sore & uncomfortable. Thank goodness for my puppy-dog, he's been all about the cuddles today!

Sciencegal: Where are you out on your travels? Anyplace exciting?

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

I just talked to the Boston Terrier rescue in my area. After we get back from a trip we are adopting again, a 10 year old male. We are very excited, Jellybean hasn't been the same and neither have we. I will try to upload a picture once we get him.

• SheilaB330
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Slickchick with your gorgeous Capone! Sorry you are feeling sore and stressed about return to work-- I hope it will be better than anticipated. Even though sore, I bet it feels complete to have the port removed as that is supposed to be the very last thing to happen. One of my husband's friends marks his cancer survival from the date his port was removed. Saw your diagnosis and sorry you had all those surgeries. It takes a lot out of you. Give yourself as much time to lay and rest with sweet boy Capone. {{hugs}} Sheila

• SheilaB330
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you all for being here and posting about your wonderful 4-legged families! Refreshing. :-) it is the only thread that makes me smile. Sometimes just have to stay off the Discussion topics. Balance can be hard. Nothing like snoring dogs to serenade you to sleep. Wishing each of you a happy weekend.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited August 2013
    Options

Planet. Congrats. That will be one lucky dog.

Slickchickie. Take it slow and easy. You'll be ok

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited August 2013
    Options

Unless those snoring dogs are chasing squirrels in their sleep, kicking you in the process!! We have a lot of squirrels!!! LOL

• slickchickie17
    edited August 2013
    Options

Yay for planetbananas!!! A new terrier will brighten everyone's day, I'm so happy for you & your family!

Thank you Sheila, it does feel great to be port-less!!! Unfortunately I have several more surgeries in my future, but I'm sure I'll be fine. Unhappily adjusting to The New Normal as we speak, but still wish the old normal would make a reappearance!

Thanks, Gritgirl! How are you feeling today? I hope your weekend is sunnier than mine!

• gonegirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

slickchickie, weekend is ok. butch is not feeling well, so he goes to the vet in the morning.  he's been having a rough time of it. hope the vet can help him.

• bobogirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Poor Butch!  How's he doing?

Slickchickie, what are you going to wear on your first day to work?  Hope you have a swanky outfit...

I am so happy about the 10-year-old guy joining family PlanetBananas.  That is the best idea ever.  Can't wait to hear about his homecoming!

• gonegirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Planetbanana. I love older dogs. Congratulations.

Butch is at the vet now. He's in back getting a dose of iv saline solution. Then we'll go home with some flagyll.

I think that combo of rimadyl and antibiotic did him in. At least I hope that's all it is. Poor boy. Hoping he feels better soon.

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thank you, gritgirl I love older dogs too. So many people don't want them and they are usually surprisingly easy to train (which I love to do), even with behavior problems. I should find out on the 19th when he will be able to arrive.

I am sending good thoughts to Butch, I hope he gets better soon.

Hope you are feeling better, Slickchickie. Congrats on being portless! I hope the soreness is going away and you are feeling better. I still have mine and will be very happy to have it out. I know exactly what you mean about this New Normal business Tongue Out Good luck tomorrow, hope your first day back goes smoothly.

Thank you, bobogirl - I will definitely let everyone know when he arrives. He is 100 miles away so we will probably drive out on a Saturday.

Hope everyone and their fur babies had a great weekend and that everyone is feeling good

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2013
    Options

Planet - so good to see another person who prefers mature furkids!  I'll let someone else take the youngsters and deal with those puppy issues - let their rugs get peed on and their furniture legs and shoes get chewed up, not mine!  We usually go somewhere between 7-10 years, although we've done a couple of older ones too.  I agree that they're easier to train and to me seem less disruptive to integrate into a household than the youngsters.  Of course with little dogs even at 7 they're just middle age, while with the bigger ones 7 could be quite old. 

Grit - hope Butch is feeling better! 

• planetbananas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Absolutely Natsfan, agree with every word!!

• Ninja6812
    Ninja6812 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013
    Options

This is my baby "Bodie!"  I picked him up the day I finished up rads.  Funny thing about treatment, after it's all over, the support goes away, but my puppy is always there for me :)

file://localhost/Users/silverst/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2013/06/23/20130623-143328/IMG_1232.JPG
  • bobogirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

How is Butch doing?

• gonegirl
    edited August 2013
    Options

Bobogirl, I was just about to post about him. Thank goodness he is doing better. It was scary for a few days there.  That's the last time I'll give a dog an antibiotic and rimadyl at the same time. He was listless and just wouldn't eat or drink. At one point I was taking plain greek yogurt and smearing it on his lips so that he would lick it off in order to get probiotics and moisture into him.  He finally started to wag his tail a little and today he had more energy. For a while there I was lifting him on to the bed just so I could make sure I was close to him and keep tabs on him (he sleeps on the bed most nights, but was doing the dog go away thing while sick).  Scary stuff.