Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• iowagirl1
    iowagirl1 Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2013
    Options

Joysley

Oh my, you have a lot on your plate.  I hope you both have some more time together.  I got my last two pups after my DX and wonder sometimes what will happen to them if something happened to me.   I'll be thinking of you both as you make this journey. Good luck and prayers to you.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    Options

Jab and Flat what great pictures! Thank you SO much for sharing! Nadine and Teddy are gorgeous.

Don't worry about the "bulldozer", they know when we are sick or hurt and just want to stay by our side to protect us - hopefully not trample over!

After surgery I took my boys to the dog park, I did have a temporary handicap placard so I could let them out of the car and right into the entry pen right in front, and they ran off all their steam with the other dogs. You definitely don't want the leash pulling!!

As for the large tumors, well, we are in a club of dubious distinction called the "big tumor gals" and that does nto influence the type or duration of chemo but means that we should have mastectomy rather than lumpectomy. I would have wanted that anyway, rather than worrying constantly about the other side.

I took two days off after each infusion (TCH) and worked full time the rest of the time. I took a 20 min nap in the back seat of our car after lunch and was otherwise okay. Everyone is different of course but for me chemo wasn't horrible. They have great meds for the nausea.

GOOD luck and thanks for sharing these great pictures and stories.

Joysley I am SO sorry. My heart goes to to you. 

Hi Bobogirl too. When is your surgery?

Hugs to everyone AND their pups!

• jab
    jab Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi flat13 - She is sweet! She looks like she has some terrier in her. I'm sure your girls will take good care of you!

Joysley I am sooo sorry to hear about your pup. I lost my girl last year and I have never felt such pain. That's when Teddy joined our family. I invision her sitting at god's feet with a ball in her mouth. It sounds goofy but she deserves peace and I know any deity worth his/her weight would want our pups in heaven.

Sciencegirl - Thanks for you thoughts on Chemo. I guess everyone has a different experiance with it. I hope mine will be more like yours.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited November 2013
    Options

Jab -- your baby is beautiful!

Flat 13 -- I don't worry about the bulldozer at all. I know she will know what to do! Thinking of you as you have your sx.

Joysley: I hurt to think of all you are going through. Please give your furchild a big kiss from me.

Hey there Sciencegal! Your sweet thread is really coming along and gathering some wonderful women and animals, isn't it? My own sx (BMX with TEs) is 6 December. At hospital all day today for pre-op. Sending everyone hugs. XOXO

• sciencegal
    edited November 2013
    Options

That is a sweet message about the pups in heaven Jab. Losing a dog is so incredibly painful. I am so sorry Joysley, for what you are going through. Bad enough for us, but does cancer really have to hit our best friends too? That just sucks. 

Thanks for the message Bobo, we do indeed have some amazing girls on this thread. Good luck with all your pre-op stuff, I will sure be thinking about you December 6.

hugs

• bobogirl
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks Sciencegal!

Where will you go on your vacation? :)

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2013
    Options

Joysley - I am so sorry to hear about your furkid. We lost our beloved kitty to lymphoma this year - it was rough. One thing I did find that my own cancer treatment experiences helped me immensely when it came time to making treatment and medical decisions for him - I understood so much more about what the vet was saying and knew good questions to ask. Jab - my chemo experience was more like sciencegal's as well - I worked full time during chemo, taking a couple of days off after each tx, and maybe leaving early the next few days, especially after the later treatments. It helped that I had a very supportive office and boss, and if I had to put my head on my desk now and then, no one minded. Chemo was no fun, but it was doable for me. As sciencegal said, they have great anti-nausea meds now. Bobo - I hated those long pre op appointments, but it's great that they're getting all the info this far ahead of time so you'll be ready to go on the 6th. I had a BMX with TE placement as well - we're baseball fans, and my dh swears that when he came into post op to see me right after surgery, when I was still groggy and disoriented, the first thing I mumbled to him was, "Someone stole second base." Winking He said the relief he felt when I said that was overwhelming - he knew I was going to be OK.

• Joysley
    Joysley Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Options

natsfan:

That's exactly what my little Wormie has... Lymphoma. The glands in her neck are swollen along with the ones in her groin. She's doesn't appear to be in any distress right now. I constantly keep an eye for any changes. We've had her 11 years. I can't imagine life without her.

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words.

Good luck and prayers to Bobo.

• NatsFan
    edited November 2013
    Options

Joy - we spoiled our cat Sully rotten after his dx - we spent a fortune on tuna, shrimp, crab, roast beef, and anything else his little heart desired. We figured getting food into him was the most important thing we could do to keep him comfy and keep his strength up as long as he could. He was a happy camper those last few months! Think of this as an excuse to spoil Wormie as much as you want - animals are blessed in that they have no idea what's going on, so they don't have any emotional fears - they just know they love you and you love them. Spoil her rotten!

• Joysley
    Joysley Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mary - that's exactly what we are doing. She was spoiled to begin with, but she's getting extra special treatment now... and she's loving it.

I added her picture as my avatar. I named her Ellie Mae when we first got her, but DH kept saying she was a wormie dog because she was constantly wiggling around, especially in the bed at night. The grandson picked up on 'Wormie' and it went from there.

We also have a Walker coon hound that we rescued from a shelter. Wormie only 'tolerates' him. She's the queen and she lets him know it. What would our lives be without our furbabies....

• sciencegal
    edited November 2013
    Options

Oh Joysley she is SO cute. I am sorry she is sick but glad she isnt feeling it yet.

Hugs to you

• sciencegal
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am sending lazy Sunday hugs to everyone and their doggies. I hope your day is going well and you are enjoying furry kisses. I am!

• flat13good
    flat13good Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    Options

I have to go back to work tomorrow and Nadine has done very good with me. she has gotten extra cookies this past week they help get her to do and not toy with me. She has not bulldozed me just a big / little stubborn puppy. A walk is needed today. I will try to get a photo of all 3 of my girls together.

• sciencegal
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi flat13good-

Wow you are back to work soon! I hope you are healed, that was super fast.

i am glad your gorgeous Nadine was a good puppy. bribes always do help!

Enjoy the walk, I hope they dont pull on you too much. Be careful please!

Hugs

• flat13good
    edited November 2013
    Options

Yes it is to soon to take them on a walk we will play in the yard then I walk with my daughter. My pain is not to bad and I sit at work. I'm sure the pain meds will be there when I get home. I still have a drain but I went back the last time with a drain. Work is open to whatever I need so If it is too soon then I'll go home. Hugs to all..

• FairyDogMother
    FairyDogMother Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2013
    Options

I wrote a blog post about dogs and cancer. Dogs do sense emotions from their humans and others can tell through salvia if you are sick. It is amasing to watch the animals comfort you or avoid you.

http://thedoggiespot.com/category/blog/

• bobogirl
    edited November 2013
    Options

Natsfan, that is such a cute story about second base! Many thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and kind words. PS pre-op on Friday, then I'm supposed to go to the college and lecture as if nothing has happened. Joysley, words can't describe how sorry I am about wormie. M/Nats has such good advice! And you are already doing it. Ooh, I wish I could kiss her too! I'm very kissy where dogs are concerned :)

Good luck going back to work f13! You are amazing. Sciencegal, lazy kisses to yours right back! I swear I am going to have my face bitten off one day. I crouch down on the street when I see a dog coming that I like especially, and invariably he'll walk over to me, and his owner will say something like, He's not good with people, and I'll just wait, and the dog will come over and sniff me, and I'll just kiss the top of his head, and he'll sit in my lap! I am never scared. XXX

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited November 2013
    Options

wow I took a break from the boards for a little bit, welcome to all of the new people! I am so sorry Joysley about Wormie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Now I need to go get caught up lol

• flat13good
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks bobo I do not feel amazing just worn out and tired but work is a must if I want insurance so time to get ready to go. later later for now

• bobogirl
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm with you today 13! And yes, insurance is a must :)

• sciencegal
    edited November 2013
    Options

We just returned from a conference in Sonoma (gorgeous) and we took the boys. They got to meet everyone at the conference and were a big hit. I had them outside while my hubby got some coffee and everyone came flooding out to pet them. They were in dog heaven! 

They got lots of walks around the gorunds of the Inn as well so they are happy campers. Sleeping quite soundly on their memory foam beds this Am- big adventure!

Hugs to all

• planetbananas
    edited November 2013
    Options

that's awesome sciencegal! I love when I can take my gang with me, they always seem to have a good time and they do love the extra attention :)

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2013
    Options

I have a Golden Retriever, and actually do a lot of training/competing with her. She and I have a very special relationship. My husband calls it a "dysfunctional" relationship because of how she will just sit and adore me all day :-)

When I came home from the hospital, she just stayed glued to me. She would sit by me with her head on my lap.....all day. She wouldn't eat. My husband would literally have to drag her by the collar to go outside to go potty. When I would cry, which happened often, she would push her head down hard into my lap, like she was trying to distract me, or maybe she thought if I pet her, I would feel better. She would put one paw on my knee (along with her sweet head) and just gaze at me. When she slept, she slept on my feet.

My husband tried to take her for walks. She just cried and pulled on the leash the entire way. He finally gave up. I was worried about her. I actually started thinking that maybe she had a horrible disease, too....and that my sweet girl would be another loss in my life. But, it seems she was just trying to comfort me. When I started to feel better and move around, she did too. I finally brought her to the dog park the other day...she was her old self, and ferociously ate her dinner when we got back.

I don't know what I would do without her. She has been little a little soulmate for me. Thanks for letting me share and thanks for this great thread. It's been great to read the stories, and great to honor these sweet family members!

• bobogirl
    edited December 2013
    Options

I love this story so much. My bobo is looking at me right now! BMX on Friday. I worry that he will be too worried!

So glad I have this thread. XXX

• sciencegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

mnmbeck that is a wonderful story, thank you SO much for sharing. Goldens are the best (and I write this with a poodle mix on my lap haha).

I am so glad that both you and your wonderful pup are on the mend. Yay!!

Bobogirl I will be thinking about you tomorrow. It is a scary thing to have this big surgery but really, it is so good to have that tissue OUT and have less worry in our lives about the stupid cancer coming back. I woke up relieved, if anything (of course pain meds help!)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hugs

• NatsFan
    edited December 2013
    Options

Bobo - just sending you good wishes for tomorrow. To second what Science said, after tomorrow you'll have the %$#% thing out of you and that's a relief. I had a BMX with TE placement as well, and my best advice would be to:

1. Take your pain meds right on schedule, especially for the first few days. It's much better to keep ahead of the pain. If you wait too long with the pain meds and let the pain catch up with you, it's much harder to get it back down to a manageable level. There is no prize for the BMX patient who takes the least amount of pain meds. They give them to you for a reason - use them.

2. Walk, walk, walk. The first day home there I was in ratty sweats and zip up sweatshirt and bedroom slippers, hair all dirty and sticking up, but my surgeon said to get out and walk so I did. I managed to shuffle down the sidewalk to the next house and back again. It was exhausting but I did it! Of course I kept waiting for someone to call the police to report a scruffy vagrant was hanging around the neighborhood! Singing I did a little more each day and I found it really helped me in a lot of ways.

• sciencegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

That is funny Mary. Love your sense of humor!

Hugs to all but Bobogirl especially, I hope your recovery is not too grueling.

• planetbananas
    edited December 2013
    Options

bobo, hope you are recovering nicely. I had my nipple reconstruction done on Wednesday and the surgeon did a lot of deep reconstructive work on my left side because it was uneven so there's more stitches and a little more pain then I had anticipated. However, I am NOT a martyr and I've been eating plenty of pain pills so I have been mostly sleeping. Go back tomorrow to see what's underneath all the bandages I can't wait to see what they look like!

I'm supposed to stay away from all the dogs so I set up a bed on the couch and of course they all three are now sleeping on the couch lol.

hope everyone else is having a great weekend

• sciencegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Planet and Bobogirl I hope you are both healing okay!

I had a friend here from spain and she fell so in love with my poodogs that she is going to go back home to adopt two for her family. Awww- those will be lucky pups, she is very sweet.

Hugs to all dog-lovers. Or lovers of any type of animal for that matter!

• bobogirl
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sciencegal, planet bananas, and natsfan, your kind thoughts have meant so much to me.  I have had a very bumpy recovery, with complications, extra time in the hospital, and I fell pretty badly in the shower yesterday.  Feel like a bad pet mother.  AND not allowed to walk bobo. I am pretty sad.  I will not bring our lovely thread down with my news.  I just wanted you to know where I am.

Right now, miguel, who is not a snuggly kitty, is sleeping on my legs to make me feel better.