Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2013

Its been just about 1 month since my wife's last chemo. She had the dose dense variety. She keeps rubbing her head waiting for signs of returning hair. I think we will both be excited when it starts. Not that I care, she is adorable no matter what! Day 4 of radiation, so far so good. Starting Arimidex next week. Planning a trip to Florida early January for a few days. Maybe Epcot or Naples, just to get away.

Special K- whats it like down there in early January? Naples is warmer?

• Headeast
    Headeast Member Posts: 393
    edited November 2013

jbd, the weather is perfect here no matter what month of the year! Today is chilly, in the low 70s lol!

I live in Fort Lauderdale and there are lots to do! Even Bahamas for a day!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,594
    edited November 2013

She will definitely be able to sport a short, sexy hair style by then!

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2013

JDB53 ... I found that losing my hair was easy; it was waiting for it to grow in that was the hard part!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited November 2013

Joe - both places sound great. I'm over 2 months since last chemo and have 1/3" hair that I don't know what to do with. Some recommend shaving it, others say do nothing. I have been sleeping in various cute cancer-bennies but have not let my husband see my bald head. Her bald head does not make you worry more? I look really sick without hair.

Enjoy planning your winter vacation. Next year I will inquiry about interest in a weekend in Vegas for BC-friends.

Congrats to your girl for doing so well with rads.

Nisa

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2013

Thanks to all fro the replys.

Nisa- She would not let me see her without her caps or wigs till just recently. There is truth about seeing her that way, however, to me it doesnt. I view it as a part of the treatment as unfortunate as it may be. I am bald, shaven head all the way, so maybe that has something to do with it, who knows.

I think she is leaning toward Naples, Fla. Shopping over Mickey Mouse!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Here is a funny bald story: when I did the first reveal to DH (I looked pretty much like an escaped convict); he, in an attempt to be nice & supportive, said, "Oh you don't look so bad, you kind of look like Granny Clampet." (of The Beverly Hillbillies) By the horrified look on my face, he immediately knew that he had NOT said the right thing! He then got a horrified look on HIS face & we both collapsed into hysterical laughter....what are you gonna do?!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited November 2013

jdb53 - i was in naples a few weeks ago. Weather in january can be iffy, just like anywhere in the US in the winter. So many great places to shop eat and relax and the beach walking is great. Whatever you decided it'll be a great break for both of you.

Nisa - would love to meet these sisters & love vegas! Great idea

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013

Even though it's been almost 20 years since I've been there, I loved Naples, mjsgumbas. Idyllic. Did you go to the Blue Grotto? I loved it because the water looked like blue Kool Aid. :-)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited November 2013

global - I am assuming you are referring to the Blue Grotto off Capri in Italy, right? We are talking about Naples, FL. The Blue Grotto is awesome - I went in '09, but I didn't think the water was as blue as it looks in pictures.

JDB53 - here are the avg temps for Naples, FL in Jan. It may be coolish or warm - luck of the draw.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USFL0338

• Mely19
    Mely19 Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2013

ok my turn to vent. Upcoming exchange surgery has got me surprisingly anxious. Some Lasting side effects of chemo are still with me and it finally hit me that they are here to stay. Ive been trying not to think about this cancer for a while and move forward but I can't seem to get away from it. I've been really sensitive past few days and seem to cry easily. I know I am fortunate in many ways and some others have it worse but please don't tell me that when I am feeling bad. Don't tell me I chose to have reconstruction so deal with the decision to go thru surgery. I did not choose to have the breast cancer. I felt like I've been so strong for so long. Everyone is entitled to have a moment. Let me have mine.

Ok. My rant is over. Thanks for listening.

• mjsgumbas
    edited November 2013

mely19 😞 - sorry u had to feel like you had to explain yourself - you dont have to suck anything up. None of us do - and you are absolutely right NONE of us chose this journey!!! But i am forever greatful to be able to have a place to share, vent and be encouraged that it is possible to survive this! Hope you feel better soon - vent away!!!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2013

Mely19,

You can have as many moments as you need.  We are here to listen and understand.

((((Mely19)))) 

• NisaVilla
    edited November 2013

Amen! to mjsgumbas' words for Mely.

Please Mely keep coming to THIS place that belongs to those of us who need to be here. No one is expected to be strong here. This is the place where we come clean about everything, pretty or not. If you prefer chatting, I'm happy to give you my number. We are on the same coast. Just watch it because once I start venting, I have a lot to say!

Sending hugs, a bunch of them. Nisa

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited November 2013

SpecialK - Haha OK. Wrong Naples.

Mely19 - We've all had our moments, and no matter where we are on this journey, I'm sure we'll have more. So, vent away. This place is a godsend for me. Everyone here "gets it."

• Mely19
    edited November 2013

thank you so much for your kind words. I knew you guys would "get" me when others don't. I have never been much of a poster but I must say it is therapeutic.

Thanks for the group hug.

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2013

What lasting side effects from chemo did you end up with?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited November 2013

global - its an easy error, besides who wouldn't want to go to the one in Italy, right?

• Mely19
    edited November 2013

I don't really want to scare anyone still on treatment because chemo needed to be done and I probably would have done it again the same way knowing all the side effects. I also had my ovaries removed due to brca positive. I think that caused a lot of my dryness problems, terrible dry mouth, eyes, skin, everywhere! I had it during the AC but got better with the T then it became twice as bad after ovaries removed. Also my hair is not growing in as I expected. I don't want to scare anyone because I think I am one of the few whose hair is not coming in. It's been 9 months now and you can still see my scalp. Makes me uncomfortable esp when people see my old work badge and and ask why I cut my hair so short. Happened so often that I ended up taking a new picture. I'm still hoping that I need to give it more time. But I'm getting less and less patient.

• lindacam
    edited November 2013

I am just done chemo last week so dont know yet SE that will last. It is good to talk about everything we are here for you.

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited November 2013

Mely19 - Are you allowed to take supplements? I take liquid silica (BioSil) which has been clinically proven to strengthen hair and increase hair growth, and Biotin 5000, both of which are good for hair and skin. At nine months post T/C I looked like hell. My skin looked grey and unhealthy, I looked so old that I seriously began to wonder if I would ever look better and if I should start getting fillers for my face, which is something I swore I would never do. I even asked my oncologist about my changed looks and her response was that "women who looked younger than their ages, look their ages after chemo", which was not encouraging.

I didn't get fillers and about a year after chemo ended I started looking and feeling better and it's been uphill since then. I did get some good moisturizers without chemicals and started washing my face with Cetaphil face cleanser after my skin doctor suggested it at 9 months, but I think time has made the most difference. Today, 16 months after my last chemo I look very well and get compliments from people all the time, real ones, not the awful sympathetic ones I used to hate. I look healthy, my face has regained its glow and I feel stronger. My skin is soft and supple looking, while it gets dry easily, I just moisturize and make it feel soft again. I honestly have not looked as well in years. So, please do not despair, things will get better!

• Mely19
    edited November 2013

Thanks Hortense. That is very encouraging to hear. I am taking biotin, just increased it up to 5000 recently and I think it has helped some. I will look into the liquid silica as well. Funny about what your onc said to you because before I started chemo, my first oncologist told me I would age about 7 years at the end of chemo. She was not a very positive person and I switched doctors after a couple of visits. Unfortunately, I felt like I aged 10 yrs after chemo.

People say I look well but I still feel like there's a "considering what you have been through" part to it. My face is actually the most moisturized part of my body because I put a ton of moisturizers and serums on it. Your post gives me hope that I may one day feel "pretty" again.

Lindacam, congrats on being done! Whoohoo! I'm sure you are glad to have that part over. Anything next? Radiation or reconstruction?

• lindacam
    edited November 2013

Radiation starts Tuesday tHen BMX late January.

• atlbraves
    atlbraves Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013

Hi Everyone,

I have been on BCO for a couple of months now, but recently got my path report, so here I am. What a wonderfully supportive group and I've gleaned lots of helpful info...thanks!

I was diagnosed on my 43rd birthday in July. An ironic gift, huh? My late summer was a series of tests (MRI and biopsies) and excruciating waits. I was told that I had the best possible diagnosis, and my BS recommended a lumpectomy & rads, and I agonized about the surgical options for weeks until I decided to go that route. Everyone thought it was the better choice.

My Oncotype results should be in this week, but the test was a formality, as my MO recommended chemo (AC...dense dose if it's for only 4 rounds? Will need to ask.) regardless of what my score is. The ultrasound in July had the (primary) tumor at 1 cm, another u/s a month before surgery had it at 1.8cm and it was 2.1cm in pathology. So, a fast-grower...

I was a bit surprised to have chemo on the table, but the big surprise is that the cancer was multi-focal and the margins weren't clear because of the "numerous" small tumors in two of the margins. My BS is recommending an MX because of the placement of the scattershot tumors and her concern that she would have a hard time coming up with clear margins a second time. So, now I have to decide to to a BMX or just deal with what we know is an issue.

We meet with the MO on Friday to review the Oncotype and make a game plan for treatment. I am tentatively scheduled to begin chemo on 11/29.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Thanks for listening!

P.S. Chemo got me out of visiting Naples FL this Christmas, but I expect to be there next year. The pear gelato at Norman Love's is safe for 13 months. :)

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Well, the 'good' thing about chemo is that it works best on fast growing tumors. I did 4 rounds of dose dense AC too. I was glad to get it over with as quickly as possible. I don't have much advice on the MX vs BMX. Probably you will want to find out how much of an increased risk you would have to get cancer on the 'good' side etc. and your personal feelings about the whole thing. I am more of a conservative, 'don't do more than medically necessary' person, but others have very different view points.

• NisaVilla
    edited November 2013

Welcome! You have joined a wonderful group. I call it my "virtual home."

Whatever decision you make, we are here to walk with you through it. Some tough days ahead but friendship and humor will help out. Keeping my fingers crossed for a low oncotype on Friday.

Good luck and keep us posted, Nisa

• shoppygirl
    shoppygirl Member Posts: 110
    edited November 2013

Altbraves

I had multifocal BC. Initially I was told that I had one 1.3 cm tumor but after my BMX they found two tumors. One was 2cm and the other 9mm. My tumors were in the outside corner if my right breast so in addition to 6 rounds of TC I had 16 rounds if rads as well. Initially I was told that my lymph nodes were clear but after the third pathology report it was determined that there was under 2mm of cancer in one. It is scary how things keep changing!! Anyway , I know this is very scary and overwhelming but I am 4 months post chemo and I feel more normal everyday.

Good luck with everything!

• mjsgumbas
    edited November 2013

Back to work tomorrow 😞dont know if i'm 100% up for the commute. They seriously never give you enough recharge time after surgery - hurry up back to work. Also have MO appt tomorrow - what was i thinking?? Oh well, sorry to vent - just want someone to feel sorry for me LOL - just kidding! Hope eveyone has a good rest of their weekend!

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited November 2013

Mjsgumbas, that all just sucks. Hoping it goes much easier than you fear. One day at a time.

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited November 2013

mjsgumbas - Wow they didn't give you much time at all! =( I hope it will go better than you expect.