Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,589
    edited May 2015

A yearly mammogram (my clinic has 3D, which are really good), blood work, tumor markers (which not every oncologist does), and a physical exam.

Anybody who wants some exercise buddies, check the "Lets Post Our Daily Exercise' thread on the fitness forum. A great group of ladies in all phases of treatment and beyond, and at all fitness levels.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited May 2015

congratulations to all of you celebrating anniversaries only when you go through BC do u truly understand

• runningcello
    runningcello Member Posts: 101
    edited May 2015

I felt like sharing a snippet of something I wrote recently:

The greatest tip I can offer to anyone is to remain positive and keep those that lift your spirits around you as much as possible. To be treated like a normal person is the greatest gift a family member or friend can give to their loved one enduring this diagnosis. It is essential to take care of oneself and to not exhaust oneself or spread oneself out too thin. Cancer demands your time and your energy during treatment but it is not permanent. It's just a little detour on the journey of life. Ensure that you are staying hydrated and nourished during treatment and if you're anything like me .. setup a way to receive fluids days after treatment to prevent dehydration and hospitalization. If your hair falling out is inevitable and you want to avoid the process of seeing your hair fall out until there is none left, just shave it off and make a party out of it. Take pride in who you are and what you are. Know that you are not defined by your hair or your physical features but by your spirit and your courage. Know that you will remain the most perfect reflection of God's grace even when you feel shattered and broken. Cancer does not determine the person you are or the life you live. You defeat cancer by ensuring it knows it will not defeat you and dictate your spirit.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited May 2015

well said runningcell

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Very good. I didn't make this up, but found this saying very helpful to me: "It is what it is. It becomes what you make it."

• light1
    light1 Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2015

glad to find this thread, I am 36 and was diagnosis a year ago,with stage 2b had surgery, clear margin no nodes involvement chemo and radiation. Took tamoxifen for 4 months and started having serious blur vision now onc want to put me on zoladex and Amorasin. My blood simple shows the chemo shot down my ovaries, anyone out there facing the same situation... I am so confused and really thinking of not taking it advice please sisters...

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited May 2015

Light, I was planning on a protocol of zoladex and another hormonal. But after chemo, my ovaries gave up and I am now in chemopause. Since my situation changed, I am only taking Femara.

• light1
    edited May 2015

Poppk, thanks for the quick response and sense of humble..chemo pause lol. I was on tamoxifen for 4 months but started having blur vision so I have to stop. My Onc think it wasn't good for me too but still think I should take the zoladex and Amorasin. I have a doctor appointment to check my eyes before taking another medication.

• runningcello
    edited May 2015

i had zoladex when I was doing chemo and then stopped after treatment. Still waiting for period to come back but if you want to preserve the eggs I suggest zoladex :)

• light1
    edited May 2015
    • Hi runningcello, how long was it since you finish chemo? I am almost a year now out. My concern and confusion about zoladex is this, it work to suppress the ovaries right ?so why take it if the ovaries are already shot down by chemo....
  • runningcello
    edited May 2015

I finished chemo at the end of September. The objective I guess is to save your ovaries so they aren't hurt my chemo. I don't really understand what medical menopause means for chemo but I guess whatever zoladex does is it tries to save them from being killed by chemo

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited May 2015

Your ovaries can wake up after chemo. Sometimes up to two years later. I went into chemopause but came back out a few months after finishing chemo. There are some that believe using Zoladex during chemo can protect your ovaries if you wish to conceive later.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited May 2015

Just wanted to take a minute to wish all you lovely ladies - whether Mom's, Aunt's, Step-Mom's or God Mother's a very Happy Mothers Day!!!! 

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited May 2015

Happy Mother's Day! I want to wish all of you a happy day because you are all "women of influence". Whether you are a mom, sister, daughter, grandma.... we are all women of influence! Thank you for you help, guidance, support and friendship!

Poppy

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited May 2015

I have been neglecting email so I am back saying Hello and, like MJ and Poppy, wishing everyone a wonderful Mother's Day - as we all mother those around us, including the sweet and supportive mothering going around this thread.

Runningcello - I liked your writing, thank you for sharing. I wish I could agree with the words about defeating cancer with our attitudes. Daily attitude makes for easier days but does not prolong survival, according to science. I do get it that being stage IIB allows us the fantasy that we have control over this beast. If we were in stage IV, we would know differently.

Light - Welcome! I am sorry you are dealing with all this as such young age. Wishing you strength. I do not have personal experience with ovaries shutting down. In fact, one of mine has been acting out. It think it is al old and forgotten cyst growing up but will know more next week.

SpecialK - Not having seeing you around lately lead me to make the big mistake of not remembering to acknowledge you when -last month on my second cancerversary- I thanked Ruth for her years of support to me and everyone on this forum. My apologies I left you out. You have been a great source of strength to me and the most up to date "BC research library" available on this thread. Belated Thanks my friend! 💕

Hugs to all, Nisa

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

I also want to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all mothers, aunts, teachers, coaches, caring neighbors, mentors. You can never know how much even the smallest act of caring or kindness can influence the life of a young person. For some, it might make ALL the different in the world! Hugs!

• light1
    edited May 2015

Happy mother's day to all you strong and beautiful Mothers . Thanks NisaVilla and runningcello for your inputs regarding zoladex. I am still doing a lot of research as I was diagnosed with a rare kind of bc, T3N0M0 I would like to know if anyone here with the same diagnosis and how was their journey. I do know everyone journey is different and unique but hearing from someone of the same diagnosis or knowledge on T3N0M0 will be appreciated. Thanks

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Light, since it is rare, if you haven't already done so, you might want to start your own thread about T3N0M0. That way other people who have the same diagnosis would be able to see it and hopefully respond. Maybe in the 'Connecting With Others Who Have A Similar Diagnosis' forum?

• light1
    edited May 2015

ruthbru thanks,that is a good idea I think I will do just that. I am glad to be a part of this forum.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Weekends are usually slow around here; so if nobody responds the next two days, on Monday type in the word 'bump' in the 'Post a Reply' box and submit. That will bring it back to the top of the Active Topic list.

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2015

Hello everyone - Hope you all had a very Happy Mothers Day.  So worry or don't worry?  I went for an MRI on Tuesday for my back and usually takes a few days for results - wasn't even expecting them as I see the doctor on Friday and figured I'd get them then.  Well I get a phone call on my way home from work on Wednesday telling me the results - glossing over the back info - pinched nerves, arthritis, budlging disc --- but then says "Sometimes we find things we don't expect or are not looking for on MRI's"  the nurse then proceeded to tell me they saw numerous cysts and fluid in my pelvis area.  I of course was not worried and expected her to sound a bit relieved when I said - "Oh I know I've been having ovarian cysts and have had ultrasounds for them"  Instead she almost didn't hear it and asked who my gyno was and told me she was calling them when we hung up and that I should contact my gyno today - she sounded more concerned than I would expect.  She did say "we are orthopedics and this is not our area so.."  Now I'm concerned -- do you think they saw more than just a cyst that was shown on my ultrasounds?  I've never had cysts before the cancer and now I have pain and ruptures every month.  My WBC was low at my last physical and I'm supposed to go in about a month for a recheck - could this all be related and just be the cysts?  I'm going to schedule surgery for ovary removal today - my dr and I talked about it at my last appointment - but I'm a little nervous/scared now....  I know my body and I've known there is something up lately - sleep great but always tired, joint aches....

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited May 2015

Hi Mommado. It seems inevitable at this stage. Anything out of the ordinary in our bodies will make us all feel it could be a recurrence. I hope it isn't! If I got that phone call, I would go to the MRI center and get a copy of the report (it is a quick printout) which will state in detail what was found and comes with a CD with the photos of the MRI that could be used for a second reading. And then with that in hand, I would go over to my Onco for a quick read. I would still make the appt with the Gyno - because something needs attention - but the report itself could be helpful. I hope you have cysts that have grown, and nothing else! Keep in mind that once we reach a certain age, changes and scares are almost inevitable...but it does not have to be cancer! I am sending a big supportive hug and am waiting for good news from you. Nis

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2015

nisa - thanks for the shout out!

mommado - keep in mind that radiological studies will always state the worst case scenario, they have to do that for two reasons - to prompt action by the doc ordering the test, and to cover their six (hiney) by overstating rather than understating.  Hoping that this is a case of harmless cysts.  They are very common, virtually everyone between 20 and 50 has them regularly because they are linked to ovulation.  Same with uterine fibroids - very common.  Are you on an anti-hormonal?  They can contribute to joint pain and cysts as well.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Yikes! Try not to jump to any conclusions. Thinking of you. Let us know how it goes!

• mommado
    edited May 2015

Thanks everyone - trying not to jump to any conclusions and leaning towards it just being the cysts that my gyno has thought since November.  We actually discussed having my ovaries removed because of them at my last visit.  I'm going to see my back doctor tomorrow at 9am and then my gyno at 11:45 so I'm hoping to get a copy of the report and a cd of the MRI from my back doctor to bring to the gyno and i think I will also drop off the report to my onco to be safe - they are all at the same building.  I think I may schedule surgery to have the ovaries removed - the cysts are monthly and pretty painful so I'd rather just get rid of them. I'm 47 and had an ablation in '09 so I have no period so to say but I get all the other fun stuff - cramps, headaches, etc.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2015

Blah, I hate body stuff!!!

• mommado
    edited May 2015

officially freaking out and ready to loose it. Have Mir report in hand and says..,. 2 renal lesions measure 9 mm and 7mm not fully characterized but statistically most likely represent cyst

Pelvic cystic lesions measure up to 3.3cm. One appears mildly complex with septation and fluid/fluid level

At back doctor now then gyno at 11:45. Think I'm going to walk over and drop off copy with onco.

• U4iachic
    U4iachic Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2015

Panicking, yesterday I found a small knot beside my expanded near my arm pit. I called my surgeon, she said lots of lumps and bumps after a mastectomy are not uncommon. Also could be my expander. Radiation Onco felt it yesterday and he said he wasn't worried. Especially since that is the area getting radiation. I found it putting my lotion on for burns. I see surgeon on Tuesday to have her look at it. What do you all think would be the odds of me having a local recurrence after 1. After a masectomy, 2. just finishing chemo a month and a half ago and 3. currently in radiation? Any encouragement would be appreciated. Prayers anything please......

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2015

U4 - could be a cyst, a lipoma (fatty deposit), or fat necrosis.  I have read about this same thing happening to many others who post on BCO - and it is usually something harmless.  Hoping so, I know you are worried, but don't panic yet.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited May 2015

I agree, don't worry unless there is something to worry about. I found two very distinct lumps on my non cancer side that were "just" microcalcifications. I guess it happens after fat grafting. I also don't like the misc. lumps at the end of my scars. But those were also found to be benign. My team will usually ultrasound anything I find. But it's always good to be vigilant and point out anything to your docs - put it in their court and then let them worry about it.