Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• JimmieBell
    JimmieBell Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday, Teri, from New Braunfels, Texas.

• Trish03
    Trish03 Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday, Terri from Tennessee! I hope your day has been pleasant and comfortable.

• Safetyyfirst
    Safetyyfirst Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014

Warm Birthday wishes Teri,from Denton, Maryland. (Eastern Shore).     

• GemStateGirl
    GemStateGirl Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday, Teri, from Idaho!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2014

Hey Birthday Girl!!  Sending 💖 to you from 1-5 North...Renton, WA!  Former West Linn gal here.  I'm thinking the Seahawks won just for you 😃.   XOXO

• dancermom
    dancermom Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday Teri from Philadelphia, PA

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday , Teri!  Sending wishes for a special day from Georgia!  May your body be pain free, your breathing be easy, and your dreams be sweet.  (((Birthday Hugs)))

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2014

Afternoon Teri!!!  Finally home and I am so happy to be here.......lol.......I can put my feet up and enjoy the cool of the air-conditioner as it is hot! hot! hot! here and is only going to get worse as the week goes on.

Are you feeling the love?  I do hope you are enjoying your birthday and feeling well enough to really participate in  it.

I was really happy to read that you have gotten an appointment with your onc for the 27th so you can really discuss the breathing problems and find out if there is anything that can be done to alleviate them........I'm keeping everything crossed that something can be found, given or done to do just that.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday from Doha, Qatar!  Hugs to you, wonderful lady!!

• chris1959
    chris1959 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2014

happy birthday terri from Hamilton Montana .

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2014

happy belated birthday to you Teri!! From Hendersonville North Carolina! (The picture is actually from Cades Cove outside of pigeon fordge tn...but it's the same old beautiful mountains we have :)

I am so glad you have an appt! I hope you can find some info on LS and get some relief soon! Sending love!

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2014

I just LOVE seeing where everyone is from.  Sometimes the place doesn't show up because of how someone has set up their preferences so this is awesome. Thanks ladies! I love you!

Teri

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited January 2014

It 's VERY awesome, seeing all of Teri's birthday wishes from around the globe. 

"... And I think to myself, what a wonderful world:)"

xo

Rose.

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2014

Teri, sending you birthday wishes from Salt Lake city, Utah! 

Taken on a camping trip to Kodachrome Basin in southern Utah.

• chrissyb
    edited January 2014

Afternoon Teri!  Well as predicted it is one very hot day!!!! I checked the temperature a little while ago and it is 41 Celcius (that's about 106F) right now and supposed to climb even more over the next few days.........have I mentioned I don't really like summer........lol.  It's okay if I can sit inside in the air conditioning but if I need to go somewhere like tomorrow, I really do question if I'm living in the right place.

Hope your weather is warming up a bit and you are able to get outside for some fresh air to invigorate you.  Waiting patiently for you appointments and hoping for something good for you.

Love n hugs.    Chrissy

• chrissyb
    edited January 2014

Evening Teri!!!  Well as predicted the temps today were melting point ones.........113 F is what it got to and unfortunately I had to go grocery shopping.........thank goodness the supermarket is nicely air conditioned but I still felt like getting into the freezers with the food to cool off even more.......lol.  I do feel terrible for all the farm animals who are jostling for the small shady patches from the occasional tree in the paddocks, they must be just so hot!  Typically for us, this heat is supposed to hang around until next Saturday so it's a perfect time to be watching the tennis.

Hoping you are staying warm, as pain free as possible and able to do things that make you happy.

Love n hugs from a hot down under.    Chrissy

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited January 2014

Chrissyb - My weather is just the opposite of yours, here on the North Atlantic its cold, damp and wild! I do envy your heat, even though 113º is extraordinarily hot. Must be miserable for the creatures outside.  We used to have to hose off our horses when the temps got into the 90s. One older mare almost had heatstroke from it. We found her standing in the sun baking, her eyes almost glazed, too hot to even move out of the sun after going to get a drink. We had to push her to get her to move into the shade, then hosed her down for about ten minutes to drop her body temperature. She was much better after that treatment and we learned to keep a closer eye on all our horses when it got up there in temp. 

The highest we have ever gotten was about 102º, but that was very unusual because we usually stay cooler thanks to the ocean staying in the 60s or low 70s. We also get afternoon thermals off the ocean during the summer which cool things down. Our horses used to move to the highest point to catch them. I'd see them standing by the fence nearest the sea with the breeze rippling through their manes. We are two miles inland, but can feel the thermal distinctly as well as hear the ocean when its very rough.

Teri I hope you had a nice birthday and that you are resting comfortably. Today is already the 14th, and I know you have an appointment on the 21st, but can you move it up a bit? Would the office try to fit you into a cancellation, if they get one? I often ask to have that done for me, sometimes it works.

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2014

Happy belated birthday wishes from St Catharines, Ont. Canada.

Happy

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014

Hi Teri.  Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling comfortable today!

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2014

I'm doing okay today.  Dealing with pleurisy pain while trying to figure out how to sign up for Obamacare.  But I think I got it done. The Obamacare -- not the pain. My nurse told me to take morphine for the pain and yesterday I complained that it made me too sleepy so she cut several of the tabs in half for me. Much better than it was.

I'm still really sleepy though.  Think I'll go veg on the couch for a while.

Teri

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014

I need to check out that Obamacare thing too....keep finding too many things to distract myself.  Did you hear that?  I think it was my couch calling to me.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzSnooze

• Loveforlife
    Loveforlife Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2014

Teri,

Happy belated birthday from Buffalo, NY. Thank you for starting this thread. The search for Deuce has given me many chuckles...

Hope your pain (Obamacare and pleurisy induced) is under control.

Laura

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited January 2014

Another belated happy birthday wish, but heartfelt! Hope your care providers figure out the best possible way to handle your pain...glad to know that it's lessened and that you can rest.

• dmacw
    dmacw Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2014

Teri I think I found Deuce.  Happy Birthday Teri

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited January 2014

Teri, just checking in to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping you had a few moments of beauty and joy today and that you are as comfortable as possible.

I learned a new Qi Gong movement today called "Bull." I really cannot describe here tonight, and could not find a video or link for it, but it was a wonderful powerful movement that made me feel great after just 2 minutes! My therapist suggested doing this for 2-3 minutes several times a day. Will try to find better description, but started me wondering if there might be some goat-type movements .... and if so, maybe Deuce could expand his entrepreneurial skills to add yoga/qi gong next door to his restaurant!

• chrissyb
    edited January 2014

Afternoon Teri!!  Glad to hear that at least one thing (Obamacare) is under some sort of control but that pleurisy pain needs to be controlled as well.  Cutting the pills in half to stop the sleepies is a good idea but is that then enough to control the pain?  Hoping you are a little more comfortable today.

Hortense where you live sounds lovely!  I love the cooler weather and function much better in it.........and I adore the sea!   The taste, smell and sound of it in all seasons is fantastic but I am inland of the nearest water by 80miles so get no benefit from it.  When I need a fix, I visit my SIL for a couple of days as she lives right on Spencer Gulf and I can look from her windows and get the sight, smell and sound........just lovely!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372
    edited January 2014

Good morning from a very wet Bordeaux! I don't know what's happened to our winter this year; we had one week in early December of crisp, cold, frosty weather - my favourite winter weather! But since then it's just been wet with temperatures between 10 and 15 degrees. Yuk!! It's one thing I love about living in France, the definition between the seasons, because in Ireland we don't always get that. Summer here is very hot (I can relate Chrissy!) and winter is usually very cold. But not this year 😞.  After a tough summer of hot flashes made worse by hot weather, I was really looking forward to the cold. But it looks like it's not to be this year. At least the garden is thriving with all the rain, so there is some good out of it!  Hope your day will be as pain free as possible, and the pleurisy pain gets sorted out soon. I take my hat off to you and all the others who have to deal with paperwork for obamacare; at least that's something I don't have to deal with!

Nicky

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited January 2014

Hi Teri! I am sorry about your pleurisy, glad you cut those morphine pills and it's helping you manage pain and stay awake. My old fashioned grandmother swore by mustard packs  for lung issues. When I had lobar pneumonia as a child, she made a large bandage out of mustard seed powder and put it on my chest, I still remember! I was taking very shallow, painful breathes. The oil can't come in contact with your skin, though. But mustard does something to the lungs that helps resolve mucus, etc and it did make me feel better. Probably could google and find some info about it all! 

DMACW - LOVE the dog and the goat, too cute!

NickyJ, I hate to be selfish, but how does your wet season affect Bordeaux grapes and wine? :-) I am allowed a wee but of wine each eve and that is my fav, when I can get it over here...

Hugs to all of you wonderful ladies!

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2014

Funny to read that post above about the mustard packs. My Mom and Grandmother would mix a little honey with whiskey in  tablespoon, if we were out of cough syrup or it was snowing and you couldn't get out.(memories from childhood). I remember thinking it tasted awful, but seemed as I recall,  to work.. a little alcohol and sweets! Maybe it was just the loving attention, placebo effect and the cough cured itself! HaHa..

Sorry about the cough and the pleurisy.. miserable disease (and don't use the cough syrup recipe above!) I hope you feel better and soon. Wish this fog would lift.. ugh my kingdom for a few hours of SUN!! They gave me 3 units of blood yesterday.. all day and I feel like a new person!! Whoohoo. I'm not short of breath and can walk and do stuff. Nice. Hemoglobin is wonderful stuff.. give thanks.

Hugs and wishes for pain free moments, lots of air and peace to everyone out there today!

• sunny210
    sunny210 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014

Terri I have neglected you terribly and I apologize.. You have been on my mind but I have been having terrible lung issues, bouncing around hospitals and having company. More lung advice momentarily.

Happy birthday. I had one just before you!! Are we both goat ladies??

Now back to lungs. One of my lungs is already in terrible shape from mets and scarring, etc. As you and I have discussed, I am on O2 full time also and hate it, but it does get better. I'm just more used to it,  In Nov., I got pnemonia in the other lung and my breathing has descended to new lows. Even with O2 on full tilt I can't walk and breathe at of the same time. And I'm not just short of breath but gasping for air. So the docs have been giving me more antibiotics ect. to no avail. To shorten a very long story, I am now at a progressive teaching hospital seeing a team of pulmonologists. I wish I'd done this earlier. My onc is the best in the world, but it's nice to talk to someone who works just with the lung. And the inspiometer is a good thing. We have aveoli in the lungs that are very tiny and hold little bits of air. Once they close up they tend not to reopen, Deep breathing - which the inspirometer helps to quantify- helps them stay open, I also spend a little time every day doing just deep breathing. Breathe in from the belly for a count of 4. Hold for 7, Breathe out slowly thru pursed lips squishing air from the belly again for a count of 7. This is also sort of meditative which can't hurt these days right?? There is also pulmonary rehab. Of couse, everything depends on the underlying problems and thier severity, but I feel so happy to think I can do something proactive.Aside from this recent trouble, my lungs perform much better than they should according to scans etc. so I figure it can't hurt to try some other things.

I really do think of you often. I haven't wanted to pm and bother you. If you have any questions I might help with, let me know. This afternoon I am having my lung tapped. I wish I was tapping a beer keg instead.

Isn't it wretched to not be able to breathe? I find myself so inpatient these days listening to people complain about petty things. I feel like saying count your blessings. You don't know what you had till it's gone. 

So nice to reconnect with you. I hope you are ablr to think your way through things and make the dececions you are comfortable with.

Sandy