Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2014

Morning Teri!!!  Hope you are feeling a bit better and that this pic of this mornings sunrise will give you a lift.

Carpediem those goats are incredible.......such strange faces!.....lol.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited January 2014

Good afternoon, Teri, and good morning Chrissy! Carpe, that is the most amazing goat photo!!!!

Teri, I hope you are finding answers and the help you need. I am sending lovingkindness and hopes for inner peace to you. 

• JillThut
    JillThut Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014

So..how did the appt go?

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2014

Happy Belated, Teri!  I was happy to read that the pleurisy has improved.  I hope you are able to get through the paperwork you have to do fairly easily.  I can relate to the chin whiskers, last spring when my hair started coming back in it was very slow and thin every except my face.  I thought I was going to have to start shaving.  Hoping your appointment is positive.   Thinking of you!

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2014

sitting here at treatment thinking of you. Sending love.

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2014

Chrissy, Your photo warmed my heart and my body.  My furnace went out and it's -17 below with a -40 windchill so I'm waiting for a repairman.  I would take excessive heat anyday over freezing cold-inhumane-unbelievably-frozen-freeking weather! Teri, we're all hoping you were able to get back into treatment and improve your QoL. Hugs to you today.

Amy

• Linda-n3
    edited January 2014

Teri, thinking of you and sending lovingkindness. Hoping you are comfortable.

Sending lovingkindness and hopes that each of you are gentle to yourselves today. I had to remind myself of that yesterday as I spent the day at the clinic seeing my PCP, the MO, and having labs drawn. Only got stuck twice, but now have the name of the best phlebotomist and will request her specifically next time. Talked at length with my PCP about hospice, got lots of my questions answered. I really don't have to DO anything or make any calls other than just calling HER and she will have her staff take care of everything when I am ready for it. Then saw my MO and she thinks the new chemo pill (Xeloda) is working, and I am tolerating it fairly well, so for now, will continue treatment, but was so relieved to get the information that makes it much less scary if/when it is my turn to enter hospice. And I got a 4-week reprieve with NO PCP or MO appointments until next month! Yay!! 

And sad to say, no goats sighted. 

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited January 2014

That  baby goat picture was do cute. It looked like a little stuffed animal

The goat from Qatar? Wow, was it really that big? Goat crossed with a camel, perhaps?

Teri, hope the days and nights have been kind to you. And that you're warm and cozy.

Caryn

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2014

My STUPID doctor told me he would prefer I see another doctor that's more of a breast expert since he's more of a lung expert.  Too bad he couldn't have told me that before I had to get my one hospice-allowed appointment. I was able to talk hospice into allowing a second appointment because I just explained what my onc did and how there was no way I could know he was going to refuse to talk to me.

He swore there are no hard feelings or anything so I can't figure out why he did this to me.  Same Sh** different day for us cancer patients, I guess. So my new appointment with a new doctor is Monday 2/3 in the afternoon.  Sorry I don't have anything to report yet.

Teri

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited January 2014

Wow! What a crappy thing to do. As inconvenient as it is, I'd say you are well rid of him. If you have the energy and it makes you feel better, you might want to write to him and tell him exactly how this has effected you. If he is part of a medical group or clinic, I'd copy them too. Sorry you had to go through this.

Caryn

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2014

I agree - what a crappy thing to do to you and I also agree writing a letter to him  and copying the group he belongs to.  You are better off without him.!

• Linda-n3
    edited January 2014

If you don't have the energy to write the letter, you might be able to talk to a patient advocate at the clinic or hospital if they have one. I raised a bit of a ruckus a few years ago when someone else's CT scan was posted on MY medical record (long story, not going into details) but I spoke with the patient advocate several times to get things straightened out and I received multiple phone calls from physicians who were involved in the errors - they DO take these things seriously. I wish I could make the calls for you!!!! Sending you gentle hugs tonight.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014

Crap! 

• chrissyb
    edited January 2014

Oh Shit Teri!!!!!   Yes, I meant to do the capital letter........that is pure bloody mindedness on his behalf and what a cruel thing to do to you!  Oh yes, letters (if possible) and phone calls (many of) need to be done to shame him every way possible........how dare he???!!!!

Anyway, I know this would have been oh so disappointing for you as I know you were looking forward to getting some good news.

At least the next appointment is not too far away and I'm so happy that hospice allowed you a second chance.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the next doc is a little more thoughtful and can really help you.

Love n hugs.   Chissy

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited January 2014

Poor you! How really awful of your doctor. I agree with the letters suggestions.

Is there anyway you can get your new appointment moved up so that you can see the new doctor sooner?

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2014

Good....you need a doctor that will welcome you & give you support!  Too bad this crummy doctor didn't decide to flake out earlier!!!   Love & strength to you!!!      Ronnie

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2014

Teri, what frustrating, annoying and inappropriate treatment from the doctor!  I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this delay, but hopefully your next appointment will be more encouraging and supportive.  In the mean time, stay warm, take good care, and do something to treat yourself.  You deserve something special to keep you occupied until your next appt.  

While one of my resolutions for 2014 is to focus on forgiveness and letting go of life's annoyances, I still believe that karma is out there, just waiting for the right time to show up and equalize all of those evil/unkind/hateful forces in the universe.  May doc #1 get what he deserves!  So much for my forgiveness mantra!!

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited January 2014

oh jeez Teri what a run around!  Here is to hoping you have a better relationship with the breast doctor.  We got a lot of snow here in Delaware.  it has been so cold that the stuff I track on to the car on my boots does not even melt and disappear.  I am so jealous of the people in warm places right now.  Wore four layers indoors at work yesterday.  BUT the snow is so so pretty....maybe I can stand the cold after all!  At dr.  Waiting for xgeva.

• JillThut
    JillThut Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014

!!!!!  Sounds like a pass the buck move to me!!  Hope you get more compasionate, clear, and helpful information from the new doc!

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2014

Well if he really thought he wasn't able to give you the care you needed then it was useful and honest that he told you up front. I kind of wonder why he couldn't have done that on the phone prior  to the appointment, because as all have pointed out, oncologists know how expensive an office visit is and how hard to get to an appointment in your condition. He got paid and you got nothing. That sucks.

I'm sorry and hope the new person is more useful and helpful.

• Hortense
    edited January 2014

More than that, he should have been aware of how much effort getting out and over to see him would cost you. A decent person would have done his best to avoid placing any extra stress on you. 

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2014

Hortense,  that's the main point.  I get so tired just walking across the room, that going out somewhere in the car just about kills me.  Now I have to do it again on the 3rd.

Well, I'm just going to try to let it go.  It is what it is and there's no changing it now. I'm kind of excited about this new doctor.  I hope she has lots of great ideas for getting me off this "Nose Hose."

Teri

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2014

Teri, I am so sorry that you had to go through that.  I hope the new appointment will bring some good news for you.

• Hortense
    edited January 2014

Teri - I could sense your frustration. I am so sorry you had to go through all that for nothing - I will think unkind thoughts about him in hope that he will start itching, get the runs, or something ;)

Have you been able to ask if your new doctor deals with issues like yours, before you get all the way there? I was able to speak to my second oncologist before going to see her, so was able to ask some important questions before deciding to see her.

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372
    edited January 2014

what a STUPID, TIMEWASTING, IDIOTIC  onco!!! How ridiculous that he couldn't have said all that when the appointment was made! If he had any common sense he would realize the effort it takes for you to get to see him. To put you through first the long wait to have the appointment, just to tell you to see someone else??! Disgraceful!!

Thanks goodness hospice have allowed you to see someone else. I really hope that she'll have some answers for you. 

Nicky

• chrissyb
    edited January 2014

Hi Teri!!  How are you doing this morning?  Sure hope you got a good night sleep and are feeling rested enough to make the day ahead not seem like a drag.

My little town has been jumping this last two weeks as we have had Russel Crow and his film crew here working on his new movie..........DH got to meet him when he came to his shop and organised to use some of his stock as props........it will be very interesting to see it when completed and released........It's called 'The Rain Maker'.

Okay, enough of the tid bits of news......lol......but I thought you might like a little gossip.

Have a great day!

Love n hugs.     Chrissy

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014

Great attitude, Teri.  Not much we can do about the past so best to concentrat on things we can do!  Good thoughts coming your way that this new doc can really help you!

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited January 2014

Snowing here again.  Makes it pretty - but very slick to get around.  Wish I was a better photographer as our black puppy (2 yo lab - not really a puppy anymore but thinks she is) looks so cute with a white dusting on top.  Hope you are having a great day today!

Janet

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited January 2014

Just yesterday we were discussing with DH not all docs are "doctors" the way they are supposed to be. Many of them are mere medical experts.. Hope the new one is a proper doctor.  

Oh well, look ahead..please don't get any more stressed over this… you've got enough on your plate.

hugs

Ebru

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited January 2014

Teri,

New doctor, new day!! I think your attitude is great, and I hope this new oncologist will look at you with fresh eyes and some inspired ideas as you move forward. I feel like I'm outgrowing my oncologist too... sometimes change is a very good thing!

Love to you...

Rose.