Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited August 2013

Popping in to check on you Teri. Hope you are having a good day.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited August 2013

Teri...

I hope you feel surrounded by all the compassion and caring of the wonderful network of women who are holding you in thoughts daily and holding hope that each day brings you peace and comfort. Please know that there is no pressure for you to respond, should that prove to be overwhelming, and remember that you need to do what is best for you each and every day.

Insurance company guidelines can prove to be a real nuisance sometimes, but I am assuming that proving medical necessity is a "mere" formality. I hope you will have a hospice team in place to help your mother provide the best possible care for you as soon as possible.

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited August 2013

I stumbled on this thread and your inital post really touched my heart. You are obviously are a woman with a huge heart and great compassion...I hope you are comfortable and that the animals you've loved and taken care of are giving you comfort now! Sending hugs and strength.

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited August 2013

Hi Teri, just dropping by with a cup of tea....happy to read that your mom is there with you...that darn Deuce is a smarty pants! Probably senses something is going on, my cats wouldn't leave my side in the past when I had surgeries. They never jumped, just stayed very close watching me, they knew, so that deuce knows as well. Sending hugs, xoxox Jo

• Fishwife
    Fishwife Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

My heart goes out to you, Capriness. All of us have a special bond because of this c! Yesterday was my 67th birthday and I'm starting my third kind of treatment tomorrow. Chemo pills, Xeloda. I got lobular BC for my 60th birthday, stage 3. After chemo and radiation I said never again, too. Actually, my sister died of BC at 44, she was 4 years younger than me. After I saw what she went thru I said I would NEVER do chemo, but then years passed and medicine improved, and my husband loved me and wanted me to live a long life with him so I did it. One year in bed ... Waisted. Well, he died 2 1/2 years ago. I had no children. This mbc was discovered on my 5 year check up, a year ago. I thought I was home free. No way! My mum is 92, she survived BC! Amazing :) now she suffers from dementia and I moved in with her to care for her so she can stay here in her own home as long as I can take care of her. My husband passed away rather quickly, with CHF. He had hospice at the first sign of mental confusion, blood not getting to his brain. We live on a boat, and he was so pleased to stay there and not go to a hospital. Hospice was great, even after he graduated to Glory they helped me and kept in touch for a year! Hospice made everything as easy as possible for us. We had friends come and stay with us and help with phone calls, food, laundry, phone calls, visitors schedules, paperwork, and more phone calls ;). They were a HUGE blessing! I'm greatful there is this chemo in pill form that I'm going to take, because I think I would choose to go to be with my husband and Jesus in heaven instead of infusion. It is so much easier to accept when you know the Lord and heaven is real and a far better place. For me the the choice to stay here and care for my mum is the harder choice. None of us wants to suffer. My best friend's brother just died of cancer this morning! We are thankful he went pretty quickly too. I think dying is easy it's living that's hard. A young girl who just had two lung transplants was on the news tonight. She said " I'm not asking for easy ... I'm just asking for possible". Wow! God can do a miricle in your life. Let's look for the possible, and maybe a friend or relative can come stay with you and you can have hospice at home where your fur family can love on you :D. Choose possible, I am! Much love to you dear sister. I may never meet you this side of heaven, but I want to hear all about you when we meet on the other side ;)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited August 2013

Checking in with you today to see how you are, Terri. Hope you are feeling loved. 

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited August 2013

Hi Teri,

Hoping that you're comfortable, and getting good sleep after all the action! Have you seen Deuce? I imagine him peeking at you! Sending lots of love from California...

Rose.

• poedake
    poedake Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

hoping you don't feel alone anymore. nothing compares to our mothers love- so happy you have her with you. wishing you peace and sending hugs. you have touched my heart Teri

Kathie

• chrissyb
    edited August 2013

Hoping that deuce has come to check on you and you are comfortable.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited August 2013

Teri,

Just popping in with some hugs. Haven't had an update on deuce but as many have said, animals are pretty darned smart so I'm sure he's getting plenty to eat. He obviously did not want to leave you!! So glad your mom is there with you. Hope you are feeling our love!

Glenna

• Moiralf
    Moiralf Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2013

Wondering about that cheeky goat too. He just wants to stay with you but must wonder where everyone else is.

Saying Hello to you this day.

Moira

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2013

Hi Teri, hope you and your mum are doing ok, and that Deuce has shown his furry face!

Dawn xx

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited August 2013

Teri - sending you love and smiles. Hoping that you have a good day and that maybe Deuce makes an appearance.

• SPAMgirl
    SPAMgirl Member Posts: 137
    edited August 2013

Has is your fight going with Hospice. I hope things have straightened out.

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2013

Well I just called my doctor's office again about the pre-auth my insurance wants for hospice.  I called Monday and they never called me back. So today the receptionist asked why I needed paperwork done since usually hospice doesn't require it?  Just her asking the question tells me that they ignored my Monday phone call.  So I explained -- again -- that my insurance is actually workman's comp so it's a little different and they need a pre-auth and to show medical necessity.  Then she said, "OOOHHH!!! I see now!"

Sometimes don't you just want to reach through the phone and grab them and shake them? But I wouldn't have the energy anyway so she's lucky. So hopefully my doc or nurse will actually call me back and I can get this hospice thing rolling.

Deuce is getting a little braver every day but won't get close enough to touch yet.

Hope everyone is having a good day.  I sure appreciate all the good wishes.  They're the only things keeping me going I think.

Teri

• chrissyb
    edited August 2013

Oh Teri, how annoying that the docs office has ignored your request! Hopefully now they will pull their finger out and get that paperwork done for you.

Sounds like Deuce wants to hang around a bit longer......lol.

Hope you are spending your days getting lodes of rest and having wonderful conversations with your mom.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited August 2013

Teri, thanks for the update. We are all keeping you in our hearts, and keeping your mom and the wandering Deuce in our hearts as well. Hoping you get through all the red tape and papers soon. Drop in whenever you feel up to it to let us know how you are doing, or if there is anything special on your mind that you want to say, but I agree with above - no pressure to write, only when you feel like it. Just know that you are loved, and I am sending cyber hugs your way today.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    edited August 2013

Teri - if I were there I would do more than "reach through the phone" honestly, I wonder sometimes what goes on in these dr's offices, they could have at the very least returned your phone call(s).

Glad that Deuce is still hanging around - hope that he gets within grabbing distance sooner rather than later.

Sending hugs, S.

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited August 2013

Teri,

I am appalled that you are experiencing this delay with your MD's office. I realize that I may not have all the information I need to provide the best suggestions possible, but here are the ones that are foremost in my mind: 1) I would call the MD's office and ask to speak to their practice manager; I would explain to that person the reason you need their help and promptly. I would make this call today, regardless of the fact that you have already called, because the person with whom you are speaking may not have the immediate access to the power and authority you need at your disposal to get your needs met. 2) I would also call the hospice provider of your choice and speak with the person who facilitates admissions. I know from personal and professional experience that many hospice providers are willing to get involved prior to obtaining insurance coverage approval in order to help you get the paperwork/admission process rolling faster and to help you get admitted asap. Having another party hold your MD's office accountable for doing the right thing and doing it asap would likely help a great deal. 3) Remember, you are not asking people for favors; you are asking them to do their jobs! 4) If you are becoming exhausted by trying to manage phone calls and the like, ask someone you trust to help you with phone calls, problem solving, and other issues that need more attention than you either want to give or are capable of managing well at this time. (This person could be the person you have appointed to be your health care power of attorney, or if you do not have one, a trusted friend or family member.) 5) If you do not have a person designated to be your surrogate decision maker, whether it is a power of attorney or otherwise, do so now. (You may already know this, but choosing a health care power of attorney does not require legal assistance.)

I am glad that you feel supported by all of us here at BCO. I know you will be relieved when you have hospice care in place and can use your precious energy for those things that add to your quality of life. Remember that we will be holding you in our thoughts and hearts as you navigate this stage of your life. Be good to yourself, and remember--ask for what you need, here and otherwise!

• AmyJM
    AmyJM Member Posts: 134
    edited August 2013

Teri,

Thanks for the update.  I've been thinking about you and wondering how things were going.  I hope they move a little faster on the hospice paperwork, now that they (hopefully!) understand things a little better. Silly Deuce - I hope he gets brave enough to get closer soon.  In the meantime, enjoy having him around. 

As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm glad it helps to know we're here - I hope you can feel our combined spirit, holding you close.

Sending love and prayers, Amy

• raro
    raro Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2013

Teri,

What Brenda said. I couldn't have said it better...it is unconscionable that they would delay the hospice thing. It makes me want to reach through the phone myself and strangle someone!

Please let us know how you're doing when you can. We are here for you.

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    edited August 2013

Man, if reaching though the phone to administer justice were a real thing, I would be in a super max.

• steelrose
    edited August 2013

Teri,

I hope it's smooth sailing from here on... I hate dealing with all that medical billing stuff! I agree with Brenda, if there is someone you trust to do all this phoning and paperwork, let them do it! You need to concentrate on you right now. Be very, very selfish! We're all here for you, no need to respond if you don't feel like it, just soak it all up!

Sending love,

Rose.

P.S. I knew Deuce was peeking!

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2013

Well the hospice place called me this afternoon and they're coming out tomorrow to have our initial contact. Things are finally moving.

Then I just got in a huge fight with my mother. I really don't think this is going to work with her staying here. I can't take her hatred that her "church" purs down her throat.  So when I said so she called me a bitch.

• SPAMgirl
    SPAMgirl Member Posts: 137
    edited August 2013

I'm soooo sorry. Hopefully you can move into hospice quickly so you don't have to rely on her anymore.

(((((Hugs)))))

• steelrose
    edited August 2013

Oh no, Teri. You don't need this added stress right now. I too hope that you can move in to hospice quickly, and get some rest and peace. xo 

• aaoaao
    aaoaao Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2013

Calling you a bitch at this point in your life is rough.  You need to remind her that your time with her is limited and getting so upset over differences in opinion is foolish.  I hope you can work it out and I hospice provides you with the support you need as fast as possible.

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

Sending prayers snd hugs to you Teri. I carr

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited August 2013

Reminder you mother that every mean word she says to you will be the last thing you remember ... Much love for you C. Xoxoxo Jo

• chrissyb
    edited August 2013

Oh Teri, how awful! Your mother should have more sense. So glad to hear that hospice is finally becoming a reality........you will feel so much better when you know what's happening and when.

Always in my thoughts.

Love n hugs. Chrissy