Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited January 2015
    Options

ps. If any of you come to Midland you must pm me so we can meet

• mmtagirl
    edited January 2015
    Options

ps. Lasting Lines is the same place I was thinking of. Not lasting impressions

• horsemom
    horsemom Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    Options

mmtagirl

My sister-in-law from midland went through BS treatments almost 2 yrs ago. I believe IDC, stage IIb, lumpectomy.

I'd definitely meet up with you. Im hoping I get the OK for tats this summer

• mmtagirl
    edited January 2015
    Options

Sounds good, horse mom. I am hoping for exchange surgury late spring/early summer.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited January 2015
    Options

Ally- I hope you are doing well today.  Remember, your breasts will not take their true form till about 3-4 months. Its hard not to look everyday. 3rd time around for me- I decided to peek- yet not examine like I did on previous surgery- at least not this soon in the game. Its almost like mental torment to look at them too often the first few weeks- because there is so much swelling......  just a fyi..

YIPPEE you got your port out also!!!

• mmtagirl
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hope all is well for you, Ally.

I met with my PS today. He is in Saginaw. Exchange date in May. So excited. We are talking in more details in April as to exact implant, size, etc. we talked a bit about nipple recon And tattooed. He mentioned 3d tats in his office. When I get more details I will let you know.

Best,

Ann

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

tthanks ann... keep us posted.

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi ladies, surgery went well, but my port removal site in my arm got infected and I ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics for 3 days. I'm home now and doing much better. I told myself no matter what my result I wouldn't have any more surgery, but I'm already eating my words. I thought it was just swelling at first, but I'm in total disbelief at my result. My PS was supposed to do fat grafting, but he ended up not doing barely any because he said my skin was too thin. (I thought that was the reason for the AFT...) I have 5 small incisions each requiring one stitch that are approximately 3-5 inches above my breasts on my actual chest (in between my breasts and collar bones). This is where he injected the fat. And I have about 30 small pin pokes all over my stomach and sides of my torso. I'm assuming this is where he took the fat. (I didn't have any type of bra, binder or wrapping, just steri-strips which I thought was odd) All the other fat grafting I've seen doesn't require all these incisions all over the chest. I would have never done it had I known. At least the breast scars and drain scars can be hidden in clothes, but all these cuts on my chest...you'll see them in almost every top I own except for winter sweaters. And my actual breasts...they're 2 different sizes and shapes, and they look so fake...like 2 baseballs on my chest. This is the ONE thing I didn't want, was the fake look. They're way too far apart too. The only other thing I asked was that I stay as small as my TE's. I had 240 cc's in my TE's and he put in 300 cc implants. We discussed no larger than 280, so they're bigger than I wanted as well. I will never be able to wear a bathing suit again. And forget about sex without a shirt on. I can barely look at myself in the mirror. I have never really cared about my breasts. I don't wear low cut tops, so in my mind I figured however they ended up would be fine, but I can't live with these. I'm 34 years old and have a long time to go with them. I just hope I can find someone to fix them. I'd like to make an appointment with someone asap...even if they can't do anything for a while, I need some hope. I don't know who though. Does have any recommendations? I can pretty much go anywhere in Michigan and stay in network. Sorry for the downer post, I'm just really upset.

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ally - I am so sorry you are going through this. I am going to send you a pm

• Stix
    edited February 2015
    Options

hi ally,  Hmm. I just got out of a revision also. I thought my new revision side was looking good until I actually took a picture. It looks awful. But, it is only two weeks post up. Give it a while b4 you make an appt. Give it 3 months-meanwhile look around for a new P.S.   Sorry to hear about those incisions. I have not had fat grafting so I am not familiar with the incisions they put on you.

I just PM you

• horsemom
    edited February 2015
    Options

Allydp

My exchange surgery is Wednesday 2/4. My PS is doing lipo with the exchange. He's out of Ann Arbor. So far I like what I see and it's been a good experience(as good as it can be), but I'll let you know when it's complete.

• Stix
    edited February 2015
    Options

update us- good luck!

• allydp
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks, Horsemom. Wishing you a great result and speedy recovery. Let us know how it goes!

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ally, I have a friend who went to Dr. Jeffrey Williams at Spa Renaissance in Troy. I am going to make an appointment to see him. She said she loves her breasts more now than before reconstruction!

• horsemom
    edited February 2015
    Options

Allydp

Had exchange surgery today. For the lipo portion, PS took fat from my abdomen via my belly button. That is the only incision location below foobs. I have two in small incision on my outer upper chest, held with glue and steri strips. I peeked under the dressing and am happy. I'll let you know for sure in a couple of weeks.

The only real negative I have about my PS, is that he has no sense of humor. But I take this as a challenge!

Also...I do NOT have thin skin, so there could be differences in our procedure.

• allydp
    edited February 2015
    Options

jlstacey - thank you so much! I'll check him out!

horsemom - so glad surgery went well and you're happy so far with the results!

• cinvee
    cinvee Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi ladies,

I have been reading for a while and finally saying hi. I live in Fenton and went to U of M for my surgery. I had a PBMX on 1/14. I had skin sparing, and have expanders. I STILL have 2 of 4 drains in, 3 weeks later. I can't wait to get them out.

I see Dr. Bensenhaver as my SO, and Dr. Kozlow is my PS. Part of why I posted here finally, is because I laughed when horsemom said her PS has no sense of humor. I immediately wondered if you also see Dr. Kozlow! He is dry as a bone, which always makes me giggle for some crazy reason.

Allydp, we are neighbors.

Hope you all are doing as well as possible while dealing with this.

Cinvee

• horsemom
    edited February 2015
    Options

Cinvee

Nope.. I have Dr Daniel Sherick out of st joes hospital. Maybe it's a job prerequisite for PSs to be dry. I feel it's my duty to get mine to laugh. He smirked once! But I really do like him.

• allydp
    edited February 2015
    Options

Cinvee - hello neighbor! My mailing address is actually Fenton, but we're still Livingston county and Hartland schools. I saw Dr. Bensenhaver for a second opinion back when I was first diagnosed and really liked her. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with those nasty drains for 3 long weeks...ouch! Hope you get them out soon!

• formydaughter
    formydaughter Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2015
    Options

I just found this group - thank you mmtagirl! I'm a Michigander too.

I'm having my tats done at my PS office. I've had 2 rounds and they are looking good. Not Vinnie's work, but I'm not able to travel for it. This, and permanent make up, is the only tattooing they do (so its a specialty) and they use some sort of organic/natural pigment - not regular tattooing ink. I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere, but it was a positive to me. My PS is in Traverse City, if that helps anyone.

• cinvee
    cinvee Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Options

Alicia,

I am actually in Linden, but no one knows Linden so I say Fenton. I am on Lobdell Lake, and my side of the lake is Linden, Genesee County, and across the lake is Fenton, Livingston County. This is a funny little area.

I LOVE Dr. Bensenhaver. She has been so wonderful. So, next week is 4 weeks, and my PS said he will pull my drains, ready or not. I just keep hovering in the 30mls, and can not get below 30. I really hate these drains.

I am so sorry you ladies are fighting the fight. I was scared to death of the big C, so after 2 years of biopsies, I decided to get rid of them. I am 43, and could not imagine 30 years of worrying. I am not that strong. :)

I will also need nipple tats, so I am watching your recommendations!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2015
    Options

Quick note because I need to get to bed. I went to New Orleans to have my BMX and DIEP reconstruction (because no one in Michigan would do it - they said I was too thin). No radiation or chemo. Now, two years later I've had a local recurrence and I have to have a lumpectomy and radiation. I have beautiful breasts and I hate the idea that someone is now going to carve my left one up. I am staying local this time and met with Dr. Jessica Keto today in Grand Rapids at Lacks Cancer Center. Anyone have an opinion on her (or her partner) or on Dr. Kalinowski in Kalamazoo? I wish I could find a doc who actually had experience doing a lumpectomy on a DIEP BMX breast, but that might be hard to find.

• formydaughter
    edited February 2015
    Options

klanders - I have no Intel, but just wanted to say that I am so sorry that you have had a recurrance. My thoughts are with you.

• goodie
    goodie Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2015
    Options

klnaders - why aren't you considering your options in New Orleans to help with this?

• stevensp
    stevensp Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options

I live in South Lyon, MI. I am 9 weeks post op from mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction. My PS w-is Dr A Momoh and SO is Lisa Newman, MO is Daniel Hayes- all top notch at University of Michigan Medical Center Ann Arbor

Dx : Pagets, IDC .07cm grade 3, 1/25 pos nodes, had full ALND 11/24/2014 and Tissue sparing Mastectomy( left only) with immediate DIEP 12/11/2014

ER- neg, PR- neg; Hers 2 +

Stated chemo 3 weeks later 1/8/2015 with Perjeta, HerceptinTaxotereand Cytoxan every 3 weeks for 6 doses

now afraid I should have had a bilateral mastectomy....... and don't want radiation because Perfect and Perception can cause cardiomyopathy and radiation can also damage heart...still have to meet with Rad Oncologist Dr. Lori Pierce at UMMC 3/3/2015...

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2015
    Options

Different diagnosis for me, but the reason I chose bilateral mastectomy instead of the suggested protocal was to avoid radiation and 10 years of hormonal therapy. Good luck with your decision! :)

• formydaughter
    edited February 2015
    Options

Stevensp - I chose BMX for peace of mind. Different DX, but with no nodal involvement, I was able to avoid rads. Whether surgeon achievedclear margins impact this as well. It still makes no sense to me that if chemo gets all cells everywhere, why rads is also needed to prevent local recurrance, if there is MX. (Yes, I get it with lumpectomy + rads.) But I can't wrap my head aroundwhy if chemo gets cells everywhere, why they are not confident that it gets all cells locally. Since HER2+ automatically means chemo, I too did not want rads on top of it. I understand how are feeling.

• Stix
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi Klanders,

Sorry to hear your news. Maybe dr. Newton at U of M. I would ck. her out. There is a P.S at beamont- dr. Chiacyate (spelling). His office may be able to give you direction.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks for your comments. Goodie, I've sent my records to New Orleans but haven't been able to touch base with Dr. Stollier yet. I'm hoping to talk to him Monday. I'm actually scheduled for a lumpectomy on Tuesday with Dr. Keto at Lacks in Grand Rapids and also with Dr. Kalinowski in Kalamazoo on Thursday. I have until Monday to decide which appointment I'm going to keep. They want to take very different approaches. Dr. Kalinowski says simple surgery - remove some skin and the tumors and patch me up and send me home. I'll be good to go the next day and definitely no chemo (just radiation) needed. Dr. Keto wants to make sure she gets clean margins so she will go in through one of my old scars and remove the tumors and the flap closest to them so she gets clean margins. She then wants to do a lymph node dissection and will send me home with a drain. Chemo will only be necessary if the lymph nodes have cancer.

Just don't know what to do!!! If Dr. Stollier told me he could get me in for surgery next week then I'd probably take it. I take care of my Dad who has Parkinson's so it's hard to travel, but I have a temporary living arrangement for him for the next two weeks.

• mmtagirl
    edited February 2015
    Options

Stevens, I saw dr Lori Pierce for a second opinion on rads. She was very thorough and easy to work with. I ended up seeking a third opinion Nd started rads closer to home and finished in December..

For those worried. My skin tolerated rads pretty well and I am fair skinned. Looking at exchange to implants in May.

Hugs to all....