Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

Options

Comments

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2014
    Options

Stix, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you get a good second opinion and have some good options to get this resolved once and for all. 

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited October 2014
    Options

Stix, sorry you are having to deal with this.  Agree with Ally and the rest to get a second opinion. Wish I could offer more suggestions but I will be living with these TEs for another 7 months so I don't have any direct experience.  Rads will start in about a week and my RO does not want to deal with the implants.  My PS prefers to do the exchange first and says his revisions are usually on the non radiated side but treatment planning trumps cosmetics.  

I might win the booby prize (pun intended) for having expanders in the longest.  It will be about 1.5 years before these iron maidens are removed!

At the time, I didn't expect to have chemo or rads.  I wanted the "easy" recon.  Now all I hear is that it has the most complications with rads.  Don't look back.....only forward, sigh.....

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2014
    Options

mmtagirl - sending you ((((hugs)))).  Hang in there.  I am a rads girl and have had a positive final result;  wishing you the same in the future.  TE stink!

• mmtagirl
    edited October 2014
    Options

thanks, Bayoubabe !

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited October 2014
    Options

My insurance would not cover your doc.... and  i dont remember seeing pictures of his results on his Web page... i remember seeing an implant of his though. I guess my reconstruction is tricky on that one side.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2014
    Options

Stix, I can't remember if you ever had a consult with my doc. I just got back from Vinnie's for my FINAL step in recon. Vinnie asked who did my surgeries and said they had both done a great job.

Breast surgeon: Dr. Deborah Ruark (Troy Beaumont)

Plastic surgeon: Dr. Michael Meininger (Troy)

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

Dulcigirl...how did your tats turn out? Doesnt your p.s. do the tattoos ....most do? What made you go all the way to vinnie ?

• Dulcigirl
    edited October 2014
    Options

They are wonderful! Pretty fresh still with a little redness,, but wonderful! I have very fair, sensitive skin, but they are looking great already. So realistic! 

Yes, my PS' office does them. I believe one of the nurses does them. I went to Vinnie for a couple of reasons:

1) This is what Vinnie does. He's the expert. I want them to look good and last as long as possible. I did not want pink circles. I wanted realistic aereolas. If I had not been able to go to Vinnie or another artist who is experienced in this I would have waited til I could or gone without. I am not a tattoo kind of girl. I wanted to do it once and get it right. I worked hard to save up for it and will submit to insurance now and hope they reimburse! 

2) My sis and I turned the event into a Sister Celebration. It's the first time EVER that we've taken a trip together, just the two of us. We've gone through a lot of difficult things together over the past 40+ years and this was a time to give a nod to the past crap,  do some antiquing and sightseeing, have some laughs, and move on with living life. 

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

i am glad you are happy with Vinnie's work

• Dulcigirl
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks. I'm sure there are many gifted artists out there! This happened to work out for me thanks to my sister, and I'm grateful to have this step finished. It's nice to catch a glimpse in the mirror after a shower and realize how much they help cover some of the scars. 

Vinnie seems to have made quite a name for himself in this service and I'm hoping that raises awareness for the need and increases the availability of it locally. 

Hope you all enjoy this lovely fall MI day. My favorite season!! 

And...GO LIONS!! Even if they're in London. ????????

• Stix
    edited October 2014
    Options

thanks for the update. I know someone that used one of your surgeons. They didn't like him.  

But, I appreciate your concern and your willingness to share. You sound so positive.  I bet it is nice to put

this all behind you! :)

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

hi All. 

How is everyone doing?  Having the second revision done in Jan. by Daniel sherbert. The alloderm didn't hold on one side - studdinger did my last revision for the same side.  She doesn't use strattice that often and I think she was leaning toward tissue transfer which I only want as a last resort. Therefore, I decided to go with Sherbert. If he solves my problems... I swear I will write an article about him.

Have not posted a picture yet. I started a second job and have been very busy.

Happy Holidays. I hope 15' is the ending of this nightmare.

Stix.

• horsemom
    horsemom Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had my BMX with TE recon done oct 27 2014 by BS Dr Kulick, and PS Dr Sherick. I call them the "ick" doctors just because of their names...I like them both. Onc is Dr. Beekman, I really like her also. They're all out of St joes Ann Arbor (surgery was in chelsea).

I don't need rads or chemo (extensive LCIS w DCIS found during BMX), but onc wants me to do genetic testing due to strong family history. Live near Ann Arbor in Saline. Scheduled to go squishy early feb 2015.

TEs seem too wide and not enough projection, but that seems like a common complaint. PS has put in as many ccs in TEas BS took out, but wants to go an extra 100cc more during exchange. Consult for perm implants early jan.

• allydp
    edited January 2015
    Options

Horsemom - Hi, I'm with Kulick and Beekman also. I love Dr. Kulick. Beekman is okay. I used Dr. Izenberg instead of Sherick. They're both in the same practice though. So glad to hear you don't need chemo or rads. I ended up doing the genetic testing also and found I was BRCA2+. I'm a big believer in being tested now. Wishing you all the best!

Six - I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the bottoming out. I hope you're able to find a surgeon to fix it for good!

I'm 4 weeks out from my BSO/hyst and feeling good. My exchange is in 2 weeks and I CANNOT wait to get rid of these expanders!!!

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

HI Ally!

Glad you are doing well! I found a surgeon to fix. My surgery is this coming week. Shocked. I am hoping it will work. He is going to roll up the extra skin under the IMF and tack it with deep sutures to the rib periosteum. He is also going to used Strattice. In addition he is going to revise my scar.... I a nervous. I wasn't nervous for any of the others.... I am hoping all Goes well!!!

Ally, I have heard great things about Izenberg- but My insurance won't cover Izenberg. Also sorry you have to have a bso/hysterectomyScared. I wish you Good luck with it though. You seem so positive Ally! You must have a good support system...Smile

I hope its a good. New year for all of us this year- ....considering...

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi gals, i haven't posted in a while but I read frequently.  I wanted to drop in to say "hi" and also to get your input.  At this point in my BC journey I am thining about tattoooing.  I saw my PS today and he said that I can do tatttooing at any time but the longer I wait the better...so I am in no rush.  I am well aware of Vinnie and his amazing work but not sure I want to travel.  Any insight or recommendations for Michigan 3D tattoo artists that you have gone to, heard about etc?  Any info is appreciated.  Much love....

• allydp
    edited January 2015
    Options

Stix - I'm so glad you found a PS who has such a good plan! And thanks for the kind words. I have my moments of fear, worry, etc., but I really do try and stay positive. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a great outcome and speedy recovery!

Girlstrong - I'm so glad you asked this question. I'm not sure if I want to travel to Vinnie either, so I'm curious who others have used locally.

• horsemom
    edited January 2015
    Options

I too am curious about tattoos. I've heard The Lucky Monkey in Ann Arbor does it. I'll probably be checking them out when my time comes.

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

Let us know if you try lucky Monkeys...i would not let a p.s.office do the tattoos. I did and regret. Went o Vinnie for correction. Ally thanks 4 the thoughts...will keep u poste.d

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

One day post op- revison with strattice. Dr. Daniel sherbert. Will keep you posted on the progress. Looks promisingHappy

• BayouBabe
    edited January 2015
    Options

Fingers crossed for you Stix! Happy healing; problem free!!

• mmtagirl
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have heard of lucky monkeys and checked out their website. There is a woman in Midland who does cosmetic tattooing who I heard does nipple and areola tats, too. I have seen her work on eyes, brows, lips but not nipples. Lasting Impressions is the name of her business. If I get more info I will let you know.

Thinking of you, Stix

• BayouBabe
    edited January 2015
    Options

I tried contacting Lucky Monkeys well before making my appointment at Vinnie's. Never could get them to respond to any contacts I made.

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

not a good sign bayoubabe. But, I had a hard time just recently with Vinnie and Richie. I sent Richie pictures- and he promised he would get back with me and I never heard from him.  Please keep us posted on this. 

• Stix
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks for everyones thoughts

• allydp
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thinking of you, Stix! Hope you have a smooth recovery and this is the last surgery for you!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi Michigan gals..so I made contact with the Lucky Monkey Tattoo in Ann Arbor and they infomed me that they no longer do areola tattoo!!!!  So onto my next search.  I found Lasting Lines located in Midland, MI and Facial Artist Patricia Net.  I have included their websites below.  I have yet to call...just trying to figure out my options at this point. http://www.facialart.net/ and http://lornapoulos.com/

I am now 3 months post implant and nipple surgery...planninig on doing "something" this summer.  Hope your all healing and doing well. 

• horsemom
    edited January 2015
    Options

Girlstrong

Bummer about lucky monkey...it's in my neighborhood. Lasting Lines(the second website) looks good. I don't have a nipple so I need the full 3d tattoo. Their work pretty good. My brother-in-law lives in Midland so I guess visit is in order

• allydp
    edited January 2015
    Options

I forgot to mention, tomorrow is my exchange! Can't wait to get rid of these expanders! They're doing some fat grafting too...and removing my port.

Girlstrong - thanks for the info on the tattoo shops. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards staying local, so I appreciate the feedback. :)

• mmtagirl
    edited January 2015
    Options

I live in Midland and the owner of Lasting Lines is well known for her work. I am just not sure of areola tattooing but I will find out and let you all know.

Allydp, how exciting! Good luck with your exchange. I see my ps on Thursday and am hopeful we can discuss dates again