Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited March 2014

I've been hypothyroid since I was 16. And drinking coffee since then too!  It does not affect absorption. It could if you drank your coffee made with half cream/ half coffee, but luckily I like my coffee with just a splash of something or cremora.   Dairy is a fairly new "restriction" with thyroid meds. supposed to hold off an hour or so after taking it.  But in having my thyroid bloodwork done for over 30 years, the only thing that truly affects your bloodwork (IMHO) is the time you took your last pill.  It has a 3 day life, so you will hormone circulating, but it decreases slowly.  If you take your pill and have blood drawn, it can show elevated, but it's just the timing. I've learned to not take my pill before  a blood draw and wait until after and the results are more accurate. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

Liefie, you'll do great!  Almost done!

I have an appointment today with my PS to see when he can take this f$%@#$^&^*%^$$^ expander out.  I actually don't mind the expander and the breast mound looks really good compared to my flap side, but it caused me much consternation and crisis in the hospital when they couldn't do an MRI.  

I just want it out right this minute. I am so done with this chit!     

Having brain surgery has made me realize how unimportant everything else is to me.  

Coffee,  now that's important. 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2014

Coffee is what gets me out of bed in the morning. Two big cups, to be precise. So coffee there will be! Will bring some Saltspring Island coffee from our region. Not grown here of course, but roasted, packaged and processed here.

Yes, comparison does steal joy. Decided to stop doing that when my kids were little, and moms were always comparing their kids with other kids. So unfair. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, and there is no 'one size fits all'. How wonderful that each of us is so unique, and that we can each be who we are, reach our potential, and grow in our own way. That's what we should celebrate, right?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Fierce, when they take the expander out, will the put a small implant in as a "placeholder"?  I don't know how much expansion has occurred, but if you've grown some new skin over the expander, won't it be loose and saggy when it comes out?

And I'm pretty sure they make expanders that are MRI compatible.  Or are you just DONE and want all the plastic OUT?

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2014

I googled this and found there was a study done and cited in Thyroid magazine linking coffee to reduced levothyroxine absorption. It says to wait one hour after taking your meds before your cuppa. Why can't we just take it at night??? I know it's best taken on an empty stomach.  My philosophy is, just get the meds/supplements in the best you can. Better some absorption than none.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2014

Yep, google it and you will see the study. The nurse at my doctors office told me to wait. Heck though, if you guys are drinking coffee, I might as well to. 

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Fierce, I can certainly understand your change in perspective. Boobs certainly must feel so much less important than your brain. I am so happy to see your feisty spirit!!!!  I think perfect boobs are not important to me vs. my eyesight. Thus, no more OR. Tattoos, yes.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2014

Fierce, was the MRI problem related to the port in the TE?  I had many MRIs with implants.  Never a problem.  Now, an echocardiogram - that was a not go.

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

Yes, the complications in the hospital and during surgery were from the expander. It has metal in the port.

Saw my PS team yesterday and got lots of hope again. He told me not to let the Russians rush me. He thinks I should continue with reconstruction/revisions and he will make it so. He told me if I changed my mind (i have an open mind now-pun intended) and need the expander out to call him and he would get me into the OR in a day or twos notice and get the TE out.  His assistant pulled me aside and told me her daughter had brain cancer 14 years ago and is doing well.

It was just what I needed to hear. Those Ruskies scared me to pieces.

• MartyJ
    edited March 2014

Fierce - Thank heaven for your PS.  I was so worried that you would rush, unnecessarily, into something and be disappointed later.  Just breath.  Spring is here.  A great time for sitting back and letting the world float around you.  The best decisions will come when needed.

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Well...I took my thyroid this morning and delayed my coffee...just long enough to walk downstairs and pour a cup.  Oh, well.  My thyroid levels in the lab tests are OK, so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But the Femara (letrozole) I take has shot my cholesterol up. I have a family hx of high cholesterol and heart disease, and  all my life it hovered around 200--a little elevated, but I have a high HDL too, so nothing to worry about.  The first testing after a year of Femara it was 254.  Yikes!  So I've cut out most dairy (and I really love milk) and started red yeast rice.  It's down to 220, and I'm resisting suggestions to go on a statin.  I don't need more pills, thank you.  

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

Ive been taking thyroid meds for over 30 years.  Delay my coffee or this? 

• MartyJ
    edited March 2014

Catie - someone on a FB group I am a part of suggested adding 1 tbsp of organic cider vinegar with the mother to a cup of warm water and drinking in the morning to reduce cholesterol.  Had my first cup this morning - all I can say is Oy!  So relish!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2014

marty....I'm not sure if there are a bunch of typos in your message, or if the vinegar left you a wee bit "pickled"Nerdy

a little chuckle for today....http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wkDvqQKGgDA

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2014

Fierce, I have to agree. It will have to be life-threatening for me to delay or give up coffee. Lol.

Nihahi, you are too funny. Have to say Marty's post has me scratching my head a little too.

• MartyJ
    edited March 2014

I really am only slightly nuts.  Mother is the "mother of vinegar"that is floating on top - look at an organic bottle.  It def was not "relish" nor was it "delish".  Oy!!  Not sure how long I can keep this up.

Vid was great.  Makes me so happy I get to do a slow roast down here in the summer.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2014

Fierce, it is really good to hear your good news!  We will celebrate while we are drinking our coffee in September.  We surely do not want to see that wolf.  Sounds like there could be a few of them without some good coffee!

Marty, let me know if that ACV works.  I'm going to need something if letrozole raises my cholesterol.  Of course, the 10-15 pounds I've put on probably hasn't helped either.

Nihahi, your video was so good.  I think most of us need a +1 in our seven day forecast.  Love you ladies!

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

+2

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Hysterical video, Nihahi.  You could do something like that here, only it would be with rain.  

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2014

drive by.....Mom and Dad are in Canadian airspace....couple more hours to Chicago.....then home this evening!!! Can't WAIT!!!

Love to all.

B

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2014

How wonderful, Bailey!  Give your dad a big hug for us. And be sure to tell him he looks very young for his age!  He must be doing something right!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2014

So sorry for not posting earlier. Going through a tough time, but there is a lot of sunshine too!! Leaving for Michigan tomorrow. I've had a great time with my grandchildren, but time for me now. 

Bailey- what great news about your parents. Are you feeling better? GO MICHIGAN STATE.

Fierce- I am so relieved to hear your "voice" on here. You have been through so much and we were all thinking positive for you. 

Nihahi- beautiful pics. I've not done yoga before but I can certainly try. Looking forward to September. 

Jeannie- my son was here visiting and is on his way back to Seattle as I write this. We had a wonderful visit. It was hard to see him walk into the airport today. We will be coming out just after Labor Day. I love your new avatar. I need to change mine. 

I will try to keep up when I get home. Take care everyone.

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2014

My four year old grandson Edward!!  That is what I looked like at that age--lol

Trevor with Grandpa

These are the two grandsons that kept Grandma grounded and sane for that month in SA!!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2014

FierceBluebird - Your last post was great! So glad that you've got your team working with you, and that the Rushin' Russians aren't standing in the way of progress and hope.

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

Beautiful g'kids, Kat....beautiful g'ma too!

bailey....you and your entire family must be over the moon happy with being together again!!! Such an incredible experience for your mom and dad...so glad the surgery has gone well, and he is home and healthy and happy. Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

cherrie...Sorry for the "tough times"...hope you are well and things get better, whatever is standing in your way at the moment. Travel safely, please bring some Florida sunshine to the north!!! 

So much snow still in the mountains...it was a great ski yesterday....might actually go again next week!

It's the weekend for all the working gals.....it's actually sunny here at the moment....have GREAT DAYS EVERYONE!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

sbe.....heard about the quakes today in Cali.....hope you didn't get too rattled Shocked

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Beautiful photos, Nihahi!  And Bailey, how thrilling that your parents are on their way home.  They are truly towers of strength and determination to do this.

Yes, we had a couple of quakes lately but we haven't felt a thing where we live.  

Kat-ski, gorgeous grandbabies.  

Busy day today...drive-by posting...

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2014

M&D home safely with only an hour delay on their last flight, so that's pretty good. So glad they are here. Communication was limited while they were there and we are getting the whole story and picture and it was a very difficult time for them. They say they are too old to have done this. But it's done. And despite the difficulties, I really believe it was the right decision and a good decision. They do, too, but they are still too tired and close to it, I think. I went over and helped Mom unpack and did most of the laundry for her and got the tv working. Dad was doing their taxes. My sister and BIL stopped and brought dinner for them.

I've spent the last several hours doing the picture boards for Thing 1's Eagle Scout party next month. They are done.....so happy.

Ok gnite my dear friends. Love to each.

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

liefie.....thinking of you, girl....I know this LAST SURGERY will be a huge milestone, and you will spend your time and energy moving on and "living life"!!!! Sending you mega hugs....(((((((((X)))))))))

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

So excited for you, Liefie! Like Nihahi said, you are so ready to get this done and keep moving on. In your pockets!