Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2014

fierce...that group sounds like a great source of support and info. Hope it turns out to be a good group of fellow brainiacs!

I realized today I'm making myself "mental" over the nip recon....(granted, not much of a stretch....). I called the PS office and said....just put me on the schedule....just do it. So.....April 14...nipple and minor fat graft. It will be 2 days after my one year flapperversary....TOWANDA!!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2014

nihahi, you will sail through it and wonder what all the stress was about, I bet.

Fierce, good for you! Hope you get some answers and meet some brain-fastic people there. 

Movie,  :((.  Hope your week improves.

Thanks for the kind words, friends.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

I have not had time to go back and read posts, but I think of you all so much. I am back in Michigan. Carter is 6 weeks old now. I tried to put a pic up, but have not been successful. Please forgive my sporadic postings. I don't mean to disconnect, but I have shut down lately. I am kicking my butt and doing better. I can't get that song, SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER, out of my mind. 

Here are my babies! I love them so much. Elly just turned three and Carter is 6 weeks old. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, glad you were able to get a date. I know you will feel so good to be done. 

Fierce, the brainiac group sounds like a great idea. Still praying for you to get clarity on the next step. 

Cherrie,  beautiful grandchildren. No wonder you have been so distracted. I hope you find your way to a good place soon. You have been through so much, I know you can overcome this. Hugs. 

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2014

my daughter and I just peeked at nipple.  She was amazed at how real it looked!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Yay, Mamalou!

Cherrie, what beautiful babies. I'm so glad you've been able to spend good time with them. I know you miss your kids so much. Time for you and Tony now!

Boy, I wish I had more stamina. I'm working on it but it's slow. Keep on truckin,' as my Deadhead brother would say.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

Jeannie..."like the doodah man!"  Now I'll have that song stuck in my head.   Lol

Adorable grandbabies!

Yay for nipples and future nipples. 

Got lots of  good information tonight. Going to sleep on it. Goodnight dearhearts!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

Cherrie, beautiful grand babies!  Mammalou, so happy to hear your good news!  Liefie, so happy you are happy with the final results. Fierce, praying for direction for you.  Hope that support group can provide some valuable information.  

Sweet, I'm with you on that steady weight increase.  Guess the carbs are gonna have to go.  Check out Whole30.  I'm going to give it a shot in about three weeks.  It's free.  I need to get the stuff out of the house and only have the good stuff around.  Two and a half months in Florida with friends that love to eat and very little willpower.  I know exactly why I have gained.  In the best nutrition class I ever attended, I was told to never go below 1200 calories a day.  It worked.  Really hoping they can take that class to the internet as I don't live in that area anymore.

Jeannie, when that new job comes along you and your hubby will know why the others didn't work out.  It's just the waiting that is so hard.  Deb, keep on keeping on.  Hope you find the right PS.  Bailey, hope things are going better now that your folks are home.  That was a LOT for them to do.  They have more determination than most people I know in their 50s and 60s to do what they did.  Movie, hope your week is getting better.

Fierce, keep being fierce.  The heart was so wonderful.  

Has anyone found good flights for September?  Love you all. ...Julie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

Julie, I am looking for flights into Seattle and they are close to $400. Ouch!! I will be coming down with Jeannie, Nihahi, and Liefie. Really looking forward to this. 

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

haha, Fierce, doodah man, indeed! Throw a little tie dye on and we're ready to go. I'm so glad you got some more info to inform your decision.

Mamalou, praying about that pesky lesion.

Julie, good to hear from you! You are such an encourager. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

fierce....that's great news to hear about the brainiacs being a good fit. Hope you had a good sleep, and woke up ready to "punch and weave" like the prize fighter you are.

cherrie....gorgeous kiddies... Hope you find some energy and positive mindset, now that you're back at "home base" for awhile. 

I've been keeping my eye on flight costs....they actually have dropped a bit since I started looking, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll wait before I "pounce". Anybody already "bought"?? Flight costs are just stupid!!!! Wasn't someone here supposed to win the lottery to create a travel/fun fund??? I'm sure that was the plan.

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2014

Hey!   I had to bring one of my kitties to the vet.  While I was in Texas, she lost 3 pounds.  She is 10 years old and weighs 7.  It seems to be her liver.  Xrays didn't show anything.  She still eats and drinks like she always has.  When I came home, all she did was yell at me for taking her to the vet.  Yeah that is normal for her.  

I am still very tired and having the extra wound care doesn't help. I feel so alone at times because I am doing this by myself again.  Stage 2 isn't even in sight now.  

I wish I could afford to join you all on your getaway but money is so tight.  Well, I will get off my soapbox for now.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited April 2014

I'm reading to keep up but not posting much......so busy from rise to fall (out and into bed) I can't see straight.....it'll pass......not for a while but it'll pass.

Yay for Mammalou and good news.

Fierceblue.....you are "Blue, the Most Fierce of the Fearsome"....glad you got information...it's our most powerful tool in this battle.

(((MOVIE))))

I am watching flights too.....been running $400 so I have not booked. If/when people see a deal please post!

Love to all..

Bailey6760

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2014

I wish I could go on getaway, but my DD is getting married in Chicago on September 20th.   Then, my 2 twin girls will be married.  Time for some grand babies!

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Bailey and Cherrie, will you be flying out of Detroit?  When we first started talking about this , tickets were $268. I hate it when I procrastinate !  I just heard recently that the best time to buy tickets is seven weeks in advance. I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long. 

Bosom, we are meeting for a weekend on Mt. Hood, Oregon in September. Wilbur's Women.  Movie has done all the work. I have lost count on how many are going, but maybe Movie can update us.

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Lol, bosom. I can't guarantee there won't be some show and tell among us girls, but I don't  plan on showing them in any public places. Now if it was New Orleans, maybe...

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Bosom, that's funny! I think as time has gone on since getting nipples, I have become more modest and protective of my boobs, maybe because they feel more like me instead of just appendages or "add-ons!"

• FierceBluebird
    edited April 2014

Kat, good luck with your kitty. Did the vet mention fatty liver disease or lipidosis? It's fairly common in older cats but must be treated quickly with fluids and proper food. Cats are obligate carnivores and have delicate metabolisms. When they get out of whack, they lose weight quickly.  (I was a vet nurse for many years) 

Glad to hear she is happy to be back home and be sure to rest up and take care of yourself too!

Bailey, thanks for the spark! Not feeling too confident these days. Hubby is out of town and really missing him. He's been my rock (and you girls too) but the nights seem extra long and anxiety filled lately.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

deb, I have no idea how to post on there, either.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

FierceBlueBird, of course, it's perfectly understandable to be anxious, especially without hubs there. You have a challenge in front of you and hubs can be a great buffer. We're all climbing in your bed with you, it's gonna be crowded in there, especially if we bring our pets! A beautiful red-tailed hawk has been landing on our patio table or fence by our family room; I always think of you when I see him. We think we hear two so maybe there is a nest in our backyard forest. As long as they don't grab our little dog, I like having them there. Makes me feel closer to you, our FierceBluebird.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Anyone else out there paddle the dragon boat?  I went out with a mixed cancer survivor's group on Wednesday.  How fun!  The sun was setting, the water glassy and we gliding so beautifully through the water.  Wow!  Can't wait for next week.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

It sounds great, Marty!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited April 2014

Oh I'm in on the slumber party!!! You dog lovers would love me dogs .....and I would love yours!!

Lean your precious head on my shoulder Bluebird....we gotcha.....try to sleep....we'll hold your worries for you tonight, friend

• FierceBluebird
    edited April 2014

I didn't get any sleep at all! But it was lots of fun at the pajama party!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Ah, Fierce, I'm sorry we kept you awake! Nap for you today.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2014

Hi everyone! There is no way for me to catch up all that I've missed here. Just want you all to know that I am still around and can't wait until September! Oh, love the "heart felt thanks" blue.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2014

Hi All,

I hate to come in here and talk about something that is not about "Moving On," but I have an question that is very important to me.  I have been doing a lot of research since my original mastectomy about "iron bra" and what causes it.  I once completely believed that it was from implant reconstruction, but recently it has come to light that might not be the case, and I am getting a little upset.  There is a group of women with Post Mastectomy Pain Syndrome that have started a group, and they have been diligently collecting research, and compiling their own stories, and it has come out in a new study that there are definitely two nerves that get cut during a mastectomy that cause many problems for a very large amount of women who have mastectomy, and even  large lumpectomies.

At one time I had asked the group how many of you had iron bra, and how many of you felt better after your flap surgeries.  It was almost  100 percent of you that had suffered with iron bra that said you felt a lot better, if not totally.  I just wanted to put the question out there one more time.  Maybe I research too much, but I have been suffering a long time.  I am going to attach the latest article on the topic. http://www.ascopost.com/issues/february-15,-2014/postmastectomy-pain-effectively-treated-with-a-simple-injection.aspx

Some women have actual nerve pain, and tightness.  Some just have nerve pain.  Some just have tightness.  But, it is finally coming to light that it should not be ignored.

There are a few women who have come into this pain group and believe a flap surgery might help them, while other's are against it.  I almost wish they never found me, because they are sending negative thoughts my way.  Ugh!!!!  Sorry guys.  Just needed to talk to you, the ones that are done, and healed, and see how you feel.  I am not expecting to feel like nothing every happened to me.  I know that is too much to ask.  I just want some relief.

BTW, to those of you that I don't get to see anymore.  I miss you.  I am glad there is a place where you all gather.  Very cool.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

Tammy...I ordered the oils for the sleep cream from Rocky Mountain Oils--they seem to have comparable formulations, and are quite a lot less pricey.  I'll whip up a batch when they come in the mail and let you know if I sleep any better with spicy feet!

Goldie, I never had expanders or implants, but even still...a year after my DIEP, I have sensations of tightness and pressure where the flaps were "installed."  It's not pain.  It's not even uncomfortable, at least most of the time.  It's just...there, and a bit more intense on the side where I had so much radiation damage.  My guess is that it will fade over time and my brain, doing what brains do, will learn to accomodate the new girls. 

Fierce, I hope this afternoon finds you napping peacefully.

Poor little Aubrey has a cold!  I babysat Wednesday evening and her little button nose was all red and snuffly, and she was sneezing cute little baby sneezes.  She refused to take a bottle, probably because she couldn't breathe through her nose when she tried to suck.  So I put some formula in a little cup and she guzzled like a sailor. 

Here's Jerry on our night ride last night.  It was pretty chilly, but we saw a bunch of squatty birds (Common Poorwills) and a huge green toad.

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

aw, goldie....I'm so sorry you are struggling on this path. I know how much you are hoping the flap surgery will resolve the pain issues for you. I'm sure you have discussed this with your PS, and likely you wouldn't have proceeded with planning the flap surgery if he wasn't encouraging. I don't think any responsible surgeon could "guarantee" what affect the flap surgery will have though, especially in regards to a syndrome that is not completely understood. I read the article, and it is interesting. Do you have your OR report from your mx? It should report the nerves being visualized, and also say how they were handled. What the article promotes as tx, certainly is less invasive than flap surgery, maybe you can discuss trying it with your surgeon before May 5??? I don't think a nerve block would have much of a downside pre-flap surgery, should it not work, but I have NO idea if it would help.  I honestly don't know if "iron bra" and post-mx pain syndrome are the exact same issue, but here is my story again.

I don't remember having "iron bra" type pain/sensation after my mx or first implant, but I certainly had a lot of discomfort from the tissue expander process. I don't remember having it the first year or so with the second implant after the first one ruptured. I DO remember the iron bra sensation starting before I could visually or physically detect the capsular contracture though, so I believe mine was more connected to that scenario. As the capsular contracture became worse, so did the pain. I was pretty "unwell" in hospital right after my flap, but I do seem to remember that the iron bra progressively felt like less and less of an issue, starting as soon as I was with it enough to be aware of it. The pain/sensation has been completely resolved now for months. 

Can you try to get in to talk to your PS again, pre-surgery. Open forums will always have a variety of opinions, but I personally, put more value in opinions offered by people who have actually gone through the same steps as I have, so I wouldn't put much weight to women discounting flap surgery if they haven't had it themselves. My constant advice would be to stay away from Dr. Google, imho. 

Hope you find the answers you are seeking.....hope even more...you find relief from the pain.

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

sbe.....love the story of your nighttime ride. I saw 4 eagles today on my run. Baby's with stuffy noses and head colds are just heartbreakers, eh!!! Hope Aubrey feels better soon.

tammy.....you don't have to post everyday to be "one of us"....been thinking about you lately...hope spring has found PA for you. Yep....the countdown to W3 is coming along!!!! Can't wait to meet up.

fyi....DID I MENTION THE SUN IS SHINING HERE AND IT HAS BEEN ABOVE ZERO SINCE I GOT OUT OF BED!!!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!!! Nerdy