Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited November 2019
    Options

If she is over weight, losing weight is probably the most helpful change. I tried several ways, but a Keto diet worked the best for me. In general, switching to a healthy diet is good for you, no matter what your health status.

I still have an occasional drink, sometimes have too much sugar, and don't get enough exercise—by far! But here I am, almost 12 years later and NED. I complain about the age-related aches and pains, but I think it's all so quixotic to think you can do anything about what happens (short of changing a really destructive lifestyle).

So after she finishes active treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation), encourage her to evaluate what changes she feels she can make, and stay with. We have all made those New Year resolutions that only last a couple weeks, but the post treatment lifestyle changes need to be more long term. That's harder to keep up, so maybe start with smaller changes (cut certain carbs from diet) and add another change after a few months rather than everything at once.

• ilovemymom4ever
    ilovemymom4ever Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2019
    Options

wow thank you for that reply! I really appreciate it. But during chemotherapy did you change your diet

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited December 2019
    Options

During treatments protein is important for healing tissues. During chemo it's whatever you like to a point. Most have no appetite and things taste bad. So chemo is not the time to worry about diet. It's about trying to eat good but if hamburgers and fries are it then so be it.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

i really appreciate all of your advices. Thank you

• Artista928
    edited December 2019
    Options

one day at a time. Don't look further than that. Once treatment is in place and starts it gets easier in my experience. I did it on my own. Big ups to you for helping your mother. Some kids don't. Best wishes.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

i love my mom so much she means the world to me. Losing her is never an option. I'm ready to give up everything for her. I just pray and hope she will win the battle

• Aseye
    Aseye Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2019
    Options

Can you share exactly what you did in terms of diet and lifestyle? I will really appreciate an insight into how you survived long term

• Artista928
    edited December 2019
    Options

Scroll above. A healthy diet and exercise is always a good thing. There is no one thing or things. I read one woman here not change anything still ate what she craved for and is fine. Do what you feel is best but live your life too.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited December 2019
    Options

Ilovemymom... remember your mom has already won the battle. She has a child who loves her to the moon and back. That alone is a win in a time when kids move away or become distant, selfish, cold. I'm just saying this to help you and her take some pressure off. One day, one treatment at a time. Enjoy each day the best you can and shine. It will make her heart happy. Sorry you are going through this. Hugs!

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

thank you! Yes it really is devastating to see my mom undergoing such treatments.. seeing her lose her hair is so heartbreaking. But all i can do right now is accept it and be with her whenever she needs me, and help her win the battle. Im really hoping and praying that she will be healed completely together with all other breast cancer patients after completing their treatments with no recurrence in Jesus' Name.

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi friends I was diagnosed with stage 3B and I just had my surgery. Before the surgery I finished chemotherapy and the MRI showed lymph nodes normal. The pathology report states that i have 9 out of 12 lymph nodes with cancer. There is also extracapsular spread of one lymph node. Out of these nine six have macro metastasis and two have micro metastasis and one has isolated tumour cell. My brother is a hematologist and toldnevreport says margins are clear. I am yet to see my oncologist and surgeon

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

what chemotherapy combination did they administer to you and how many cycles? After surgery what's your next step?

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi, Flo - I went through something not too different from you - a poor response to chemo (still a 12 cm tumor). It's so disheartening to see that kind of path report after all that chemo, but you are ER+/PR+, so, as one community member phrased it for me - with that and radiation, you still have some tools in your arsenal. I would be prepared to ask about additional lymph node removal since you had some with macromets - but my instinct is that the surgeon will not suggest it. Also, you could ask about more chemo (which I did and was denied with the argument 'why risk the additional toxicity without being sure that it will work - hormone therapy is your best option' - but others on this board have had more chemo after an incomplete response to chemo). *Hugs* You'll get through this.

Here are some threads on incomplete responses to neo-adjuvant chemo:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/67/topics...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/80/topics...

• Flo80
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thank you so much ilovemom. I did 4 cycles of dose dense Ac and dose dense Taxol

I don't know yet but have an appointment on 12 most likely there will be radiation and Tamoxifen for next 10 years as I am Er and pr positive.

Regards

Flora

• Flo80
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thank you Lexica I might ask my surgeon about these. You and all other members give me a lot of hope. I am supposed to start radiation in a month and other oral chemo I guess for 10 years. I am seeing my surgeon on the 12. I wish I had negative nodes. The mass did shrink from 5.2 to 3.2 cm and he got clear margins so I am not sure if they will agree with additional chemo. I will definitely ask them. Thank you so much one again for the links.

Thank you so much

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

anyone here had an ulcerating breast tumor but was healed and never came back

• Aseye
    Aseye Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2019
    Options

Amen

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited December 2019
    Options

hi just wanna ask if herceptin does shrink tumor

• Artista928
    edited December 2019
    Options

ilovemymom

While asking questions here is fine, if you post chemo stuff on the chemo forum you'll get responses faster.

• Artista928
    edited December 2019
    Options

ilovemymom

While asking questions here is fine, if you post chemo stuff on the chemo forum you'll get responses faster and more responses. It's not just stage 3 that gets this.

• Flo80
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi friends did anyone of you have her2- before mastectomy and become her2+ later. I am her2 positive now and had 8 lymph nodes positive. I want to take kadcyla but since I did not receive herceptin before surgery my oncologist is apprehensive and wants me to take herceptin and Parjeta. She will seek a second opinion for me as well. Anyone here with a similar situation

• trinigirl50
    trinigirl50 Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi Flo80

You might not get direct answers on this thread, as it is a celebratory 10 years NED thread. Maybe start a thread of your own?

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi all. I've not posted for a very long time, but this topic seems like a good one to get opinions on life after NED for 10 years. What kind of follow up (if any) has anyone done after 10 years? Long story short, I did the CA27-29 tumor testing for 10 years after, was on Tamoxifen for 6 years, now still on AH only switched to Femara. At my yearly appointment in 2019, the CNA said it was up to me if I wanted to be seen ever again and/or wanted to stop the Femara. I was also tested last year for the BRCA mutation and I am negative.

On another side note, I was getting a CT scan of my lungs every year for a couple of nodules which have remained stable in size throughout these years. I'm just not sure what and how much more I should be doing. It is peace of mind when it seems you've come out of the clouds, but I'm also a pragmatist. Any thoughts would be great!

Shelly

• Artista928
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm 4.5 years out. My mo left the area back in Sept. I do not want a man mo unless I have to. So since I have no symptoms and am ok on tamoxifen I don't plan on having an mo. My pcp does more than she did. All labs are from pcp. As long as she refills the t I'm good. If something comes up and she says should see mo then I'll choose one of the guys. As for scans they followed lung nodules for 2 years. This last time I chose 1 year. If I develop issues I'll see my pcp otherwise I don't want to be radiated so much. Labs no problem, but scans without symptoms, no more.

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2020
    Options

Artista: Do you plan on going off the Tamoxifen after 5 years or going for 10 years total? I'm not that confident of my pcp due to an illness I had last winter and not being treated aggressively as should have been. Thanks for your input !

• Artista928
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm on it for as long as possible. Min 10 years, maybe 15....all assuming I'm still here, no major conditions and am still tolerating it ok. In my mind since I can't tolerate AIs at least I'm trying T. If it doesn't work out then I know I tried and will have no what ifs regrets.

• 7of9
    edited January 2020
    Options

Artisa...no regrets! Im 4 yrs into Arimidex and blowing past 5 yrs ...10 yrs ..15 yrs. .hoping we get there, and then some!

• Artista928
    edited January 2020
    Options

amen 7 of 9!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    edited February 2020
    Options

14 Fourteen XIV!!!! 02/03/2006, I heard those dread words. I don't remember back then if I wondered if I would be here today, but I'm pleased to be here. I looking forward to growing old :)

Breast cancer is hard, but it is doable and there is life after the beast!!

Life is full of challenges, but I'm glad to still be here for the good and the not so good :)

2 high school graduations, 2 university graduations, 1 Bat Mitzvah, 1 wedding, 14 birthdays, 14 wedding anniversaries. My kids were turning 8, 17 and 20. Now they are turning 22, 31 and 34!! 14 trips to Israel and at least as many trips to Toronto.

• 7of9
    edited February 2020
    Options

Karen...outstanding! These are the types of numbers we like to count. Thank you for coming back and inspiring!