Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2020
    Options

Congratulation MaxineO, Amanda6 and Chrishat. Thanks for checking in and giving the rest of us “newbies” encouragement and hope. It means so much. Happy Holidays

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited December 2020
    Options

Happy Holidays everyone are we all getting in line now for COVID Vaccinations

• wifeandmomof1
    wifeandmomof1 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2020
    Options

Congrats ladies! 10 years sounds good. 😊 Thanks for sharing the hope.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited December 2020
    Options

Has anyone who is 10+ years out had any scares? I went to the MO on Friday and my hemoglobin was down (still normal range) and the nurse asked me if I have seen blood in my stool, which I haven't. Then I had them check my Vit D because last time it was 80 and I didn't want it to go over 100. They called me later and told me it went down to 53 which is also still in the normal range, but now I can't stop worrying about it. My MO told my blood "looked good", it was the nurse who told me about the levels. Just curious, It's probably nothing. I need to get an colonoscopy yet, so that is a concern. :D

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited December 2020
    Options

HomeMom, as long as results are in the normal range, labs that wander around are perfectly OK. Our bodies are in a constant state of check and flow, in and out, up and down. An unexplained, steady downward trend in hemoglobin levels is concerning, yes, which is why the nurse asked about blood in your stool. A quiet GI bleed can account for steadily falling hemoglobin. But fluctuations within the normal range is, well, normal.

If you were to actually see what looked like red blood in your stool, it's probably not from a genuine GI bleed. Bleeding hemorrhoids can leave red blood on the paper or in the toilet, and they're almost never a big deal except for the pain/itch/irritation they cause. Bleeding from higher up in the gastrointestinal tract, which would be much more concerning, looks sticky and black, like tar. It smells weird.

• PennyCookson
    PennyCookson Member Posts: 356
    edited January 2021
    Options

Stage 3 lobular diagnosed 10 years ago tomorrow. I never thought I would make it to here, I was so scared that I would die and my grandsons would not remember me. I am now feeling really well and have done more in the last 10 years than I could ever have imagined. I finish Arimidex this year, but have had no bone density issues. Hang in there ladies, every day is precious. Dream like you will live forever - live like you only have today. And in 10 years time come back and tell people you made it xx

Penny

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 172
    edited January 2021
    Options

PennyCookson, Thank you for coming back and encouraging those of us at the beginning of this. Stories like yours give me hope. Happy for you.

• PennyCookson
    PennyCookson Member Posts: 356
    edited January 2021
    Options

KMom - your diagnosis is really similar to mine! You have done absolutely the right thing by having the prophylactic mastectomy - I never regretted doing the same, no need to worry about it jumping over. You should start feeling better all the time now as your body recovers from those hideous chemicals. It may not seem possible now as this stuff completely takes over your life, but I promise you as time passes you fell normal again, and one day you will look back and be giving hope to others.

• jmouse
    jmouse Member Posts: 51
    edited January 2021
    Options

Congratulations, PennyC! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

• homemom
    edited January 2021
    Options

sbelizabeth - thank you for that! I"ve been looking, but don't see any evidence of blood, also, I have never had a hemorrhoid, and I don't think I have one now LOL

• kmom57
    edited January 2021
    Options

PennyCookson, thank you. Rough day, so I’ll have to take your word for it. But I appreciate your encouragementa lot.

• ssinuk
    ssinuk Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2021
    Options

Kmom57 I remember the feeling that I’d never be like the women on this thread, they were the ‘lucky’ ones. But here I am 7 years from DX, 5 years from a recurrence. Hang in there

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    edited February 2021
    Options

Yesterday, 02/03/2021, I joined the 15 year club. Life is good.

• kmom57
    edited February 2021
    Options

So happy for you Karen1956.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2021
    Options

Quick post to celebrate 13 years since my diagnosis. Have a great day, everyone

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    edited February 2021
    Options

Congrats to all, love hearing from all the survivor/thrivers! Thanks for all the positivity and hope:)

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2021
    Options

Conngratulations Nancy. 13 years is awesome. You’ll be posting in 15 yearssoon. It’s great to read success stories. We all need them regularly.

• lucca06
    lucca06 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2021
    Options

It was 10 years yesterday for me so I'm feeling very lucky and grateful. At the time my children were only 3 and 1 and it seemed like an unreachable dream. These threads were the thing that gave me hope and stopped me drowning. For those in the thick of it, believe it can be you too.

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2021
    Options

Congratulations on 10years, Lucca! Love how stories like yours pop up whenever I need it the most. Thank you for sharing

• homemom
    edited May 2021
    Options

It's great to come back here and read these. I'm 7 years out from diagnosis, I can't wait to post here three years from now! I expect to :)Smile

• dato
    dato Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2021
    Options

I was diagnosed with stage III, grade 3 breast cancer with 6 of 9 nodes positive,15 years ago today. I had a bilateral mastectomy, oophorectomy, chemo (TAC), radiation, arimidex, zometa (as part of a clinical trial), and reconstruction (DIEP flap). In medicine 15 years is an eternity. The diagnostic tests and treatment options today are leaps an bounds of where they were 15 years ago. For those who are newly diagnosed, hang in there. Hair grows, scars heal and the future is bright.

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you all LADIES who came back on this thread and gave us hope. Whenever my mind is about to wander to some negative thoughts and unfounded worry about recurrence, I came here for hope that we can beat this, live with it for a long long time. Thank you

• victoriasecret
    victoriasecret Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2021
    Options

Well I am early my d date is the 15th of June. So here I am another year gone healthy happy and loving life. Diagnosed at 49 well the summer I was turning 50 and here I sit about to celebrate 62 ! I never thought I would make 5 years . My youngest was starting Uni at the time and she is now a peds nurse. My oldest living his life in Thailand . My middle has given me a beautiful grandson - the joy of our life just turned 3 and baby #2 due in November (a GIRL)...So moral of the story life with a BC diagnosis is devastating not going to lie it never really leaves you its that little cloud that just hovers...but life goes on its up to you if you keep a watch on that cloud . I prefer to look for the sun.. love and light to you all

Cheryl

• victoriasecret
    edited June 2021
    Options

Way to go ! Love C

• victoriasecret
    edited June 2021
    Options

YEA you Karen Love C

• nancyd
    edited June 2021
    Options

Yes!! Victoriasecret, I agree with all your points! My daughter gave me my first grandchild in 2017 and is going to have my second in December. I turned 70 (still can't believe I'm that old) in April, and I'm only looking forward, not backward. Good luck and blessing to your daughter!

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2021
    Options

hi all. 16 years out from stage III C and living my best life . Blissfully happy and in gratitude . everyday! wishing all newbies a gentle road. To other oldsters so wonderful to see you here

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2021
    Options

10 years, still here, still healthy.

https://publication.letsbodytalk.co/Feminity-inside-out

• victoriasecret
    edited June 2021
    Options

Nancy I so remember you !!! weird the things that stick in your mind I remember a post about chemo and being out in public ...you said you had to subway in NYC ! I was a hermit in my treatment days and I DO NOT advise any one to do that ! After treatment NYC was my go to getaway for at least 5 years love everything about it ...Broadway, food, food and shopping !

• nancyd
    edited June 2021
    Options

I was a redhead then but stopped trying to keep up appearances a couple of years ago. I have had my uh-oh—that doesn't feel right moments but as long as the test/scans tell me not to worry, I'm doing just that. I've got one of those this Friday.

I no longer have natural breasts since my BXM. I have never had that area tested. But lately, I've had aches and pulling sensations, so I am starting with a sonogram in the left breast area to see if they can tell if it's just scar tissue pulling on the nerves/muscles. If that doesn't diagnose it, I'll move up to an MRI. I'm putting off less needed (elective) surgery until I get this out of the way.

One thing I've found as I get older, there are a lot of things that need attention—like my bones, and skin, and teeth—that I put off for years. Paying the price now with things slowly (and some times not so slowly) falling apart. I have learned to be a triage nurse. What needs immediate attention? What will cost me time, and what will cost money?

So that's a few of the downsides of living longer after cancer.