Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• ilovemymom4ever
    ilovemymom4ever Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2020
    Options

hi. Can i ask a question? Again, my mom has stage IIIB ER+/PR- HER2+ breast ca. She had 6 cycles of chemo, the tumor shrunk but not so much. Has anyone experienced this also but got operated on and NED up to now

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited February 2020
    Options

Those of us with estrogen-receptor positive tumors rarely achieve pathological complete response (PCR) with neoadjuvant chemo. I did six cycles of TAC chemo and there were lots of cancer cells found in the lymphatic channels of my breast after the mastectomy. I've been NED since then, and that was 8 years ago.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

thank you. Im just so scared for my mom. I would do anything for her

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited February 2020
    Options

I am hormone positive and did not get pcr. My oncologist told me that Harmon's positive people hardly achieve pcr. There are so many members who did not pcr but are thriving and living a healthy life. I wish good health and happiness for your mom

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

thank you so much Flo80! She'll be having her scans tomorrow in preparation for her surgery. She just finished her neoadjuvant chemo. im hoping and praying for clear results.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had four rounds of neoadjuvant TAC, had some reduction in the size of my tumor, but not a complete response. Based on the findings after surgery, my onc recommended two additional rounds of TAC before my radiation and hormonal treatment.

I’ve been NED since then. Coming up on twelve years in a few weeks

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Two more rounds of TAC chemo! Wow. My question for my onc would have been--if it didn't work that great for the first six rounds, why would it be effective for two more?

I had to talk long and hard, but I got my onc to give me six rounds of navelbine/capecitabine after surgery. It was based on recently released research.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

she doesn't feel anything so far. She feels normal except for the fact that her right breast smells bad. She just had her abdominal ultrasound and chest CT scan. Pls help me pray for normal result

• nancyd
    edited February 2020
    Options

sbelizabeth, the first four chemo doses didn't bring a complete response, but it was significant enough that my onc felt the two additional rounds after surgery would be beneficial. He called it a "clean-up". A subsequent PET scan a year later (before reconstruction) showed no activity.

I haven't had another PET scan in ten years. Some aches and pains that have been diagnosed as osteoarthritis.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

nancyD,

how long before you got surgery? I mean after 4 rounds of chemo, how long did you take a rest before surgery

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2020
    Options

NancyD, I understand now. I had six rounds of TAC before surgery, and the surgical path report stated "extensive tumor emboli in dermal lympahtics" in the breast. Clean margins, though. I had PET scans at years 1 and 2 following treatment completion, and I always held my breath until the report came back. Thank you, God.

Ilovemymom4ever, my last chemo was on March 31 and I had the mastectomy on April 15.

• scar1888
    scar1888 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had to share that as of Oct. 24, 2019, I became a 22 year breast cancer survivor! Do not ever, ever give up! There was no test for HER 2/ or dye to locate the cancerous lymph nodes or ports for chemo treatments. Just feel very very lucky! Blessings to each of you!

• bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2020
    Options

Your post is such a positive light for all, thank you for coming back scar1888! Many more happy and healthy years to you

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2020
    Options

congratulations Scar! Feeling extra hopeful because of you.

• nancyd
    edited February 2020
    Options

Wow, Scar! I hope to be like you. I know that it's a day by day, year by year thing, though. As long as I can walk around without any symptoms, I consider myself a survivor and thrive-or.

• nancyd
    edited February 2020
    Options

Time to post my annual checkin...twelve years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m still NED, albeit a few aches and pains associated with growing older. Keep the faith!

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2020
    Options

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited February 2020
    Options

12 yrs!!! That would get me to my sons graduation ( from recurrence 4 yrs ago). Lead the way!!!

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2020
    Options

congratulations Nancy! Coming up with my first year this month and stories like yours keep me strong and hopeful .

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi.

there were many lymph nodes removed from my mom's surgery. Im scared about how many ppl can survive when there are numerous lymph node involvement. :( she became stage IIIC

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited February 2020
    Options

I've seen people here with a lot of nodes removed. They're ok. She shouldn't have blood pressure or any type of needle on that arm. I've had 4 removed and give my right arm for IV, blood draws if they can't use my port, blood pressure. I don't wear tight sleeves either. Read about lymphedema in the forums for more info. People who have it are talking about it there.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Artista928,

im not really worried about the lymphedema, but im worried about how advanced the cancer may be. That's what im worried about

• mpv459
    mpv459 Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2020
    Options

I was diagnosed and had surgery almost a year ago. How many lymph nodes did they remove and how many had cancer?? I had 14/31.. So far, so good.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

mpv459

The surgeon said nothing about how many lymph nodes, but he said he took out many and hoping not all will be positive :(

• mpv459
    edited February 2020
    Options

Keep me updated and best wishes.. My diagnosis did not look good but I take each day...squeeze everything I can out of it and pray for the next. I had 8cm tumor and 14 lymph nodes. Hardly gets any worse than that. The cancer was isolated to the lymphnodes so far. I had surgery, occupational therapy, 16 rounds of chemo, 30 rounds of radiation and I am currently on hormone blockers and zometa... Its rough but I am 60 and I made it through all of it. Your mom will too. She needs lots of positive vibes and love and a great team. I am sure she has all of those. I am a week short of a year from diagnosis, walking 4 miles a day, exercising and living. Keep your chin up. Sorry to put this on the 10 year page.. Hopefully I will belong here some day with the rest of the brave ladies.

• nancyd
    edited February 2020
    Options

ilovemymom4ever, women have differing numbers of lymph nodes. Some have a lot, so it might sound scary if they say they removed a lot. Don't let that scare you. While they only took ten out when I had my mastectomy, four of those showed signs of cancer and one was actually bursting with cancer cells. That scared me more than anything else.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

@mv459, Sure i 'll keepyou updated. Do you mind if i ask what stage were you after surgery? God bless you!

@NancyD, thank you for being positive

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

mom's CT scan prior to surgery showed internal necrosis of the breast tumor. What does that mean

• mpv459
    edited February 2020
    Options

I was Stage 3C. Internal necrosis refers to dead cancer cells in the breast tissue. Probably because she had chemo first. I had surgery first, then chemo. Sending good wishes and prayers to you and your mom. In time it really does all get better.

• ilovemymom4ever
    edited February 2020
    Options

mvp459, thank you. God bless you!