Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• dato
    dato Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2020
    Options

Fourteen years ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Breastcancer.org was my lifeline throughout my treatment and reconstruction. I learned so much from those with the same diagnosis, the same chemo regime, and the same reconstruction. Today I recommend breastcancer.org to those who are newly diagnosed. I come back once a year, on or near the date of my diagnosis to offer encouragement to others. Life is good. The only lingering affect of treatment is the neuropathy in my toes. Treatments have changed a lot in the last 14 years. There are going to be a lot more long-term survivors in the future. The thing I worry about most now is COVID-19, not breast cancer. Next year I get to move up to the 15+ group. Stay strong and go wash your hands.Winking

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited May 2020
    Options

Awesome DATO!

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2020
    Options

Congratulations @DATO !!! Breastcancer org has been my lifeline too. Thankful for inspiring stories like yours

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2020
    Options

Congrats DATO!!!

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'm proud to say I'm now part of this group. I never thought 10 years ago that I'd be here today but here I am. It has not been easy, especially at the beginning, everyday got better and better. Before I knew it the years kept passing until they became 10 years. I don't come here much anymore but I had to drop by and share that it can be done. Keep the faith and hope, you can do this. Thank you BC.org for getting me through and all the info!

• lexica
    edited August 2020
    Options

Congrats jennyboog - AWESOME!! And THANK YOU for coming back to share!!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited August 2020
    Options

Congratulations, Jennyboog! You helped me put one foot in front of the other when I was first diagnosed. Here's to more decades of kicking cancer's butt!

• TectonicShift
    TectonicShift Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2021
    Options

Congratulations jennyboog! So happy to see your update. Your being here helped me so much when I was first here and long afterwards.

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2020
    Options

Congratulations Jennyboog and thanks for coming back to share your milestone. It still gives me so much hope to see these posts, as it always has since my entry on this BC journey. Here’s to the next 10

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited August 2020
    Options

congratulations DATO!!!Gives a lot of hope

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited August 2020
    Options

Congrations Jennyboog!!

• charlotteme
    charlotteme Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2020
    Options

Dear Survivor Sisters,

Today I had my regular oncology follow up appointment. And today I celebrate being 10 years out from the end of active treatment - BMX surgery, 7 months of chemo, and radiation, followed by Femara.

Happily, I am still on Femara, 10 years of it so far and at least one more to go.

I am nearing 11 years since initial diagnosis. So, depending on whenever you count survivorship from, I am squarely in the 10+ years survivors’ club now!

To those just starting this journey, I encourage you to take comfort and find hope in the stories of those of us long-time survivors. I certainly remember doing so! As I read, then re-read over and over again the stories of survivors they gave me hope that my Stage 3 diagnosis was possibly not a death sentence. I was still terrified, but I hung onto hope to make it through.

Yes, as you well knowmy cancer still could return. But I am eternally grateful for the 10+ years so far!

❤️ CharlotteMe

• charlotteme
    charlotteme Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2020
    Options

Dear Survivor Sisters,

Today I had my regular oncology follow up appointment. And today I celebrate being 10 years out from the end of active treatment - BMX surgery, 7 months of chemo, and radiation, followed by Femara.

Happily, I am still on Femara, 10 years of it so far and at least one more to go.

I am nearing 11 years since my initial diagnosis. So, depending on whenever you count survivorship from, I am squarely in the 10+ years survivors' club now!

To those just starting this journey, I encourage you to take comfort and find hope in the stories of long-time survivors here. I certainly did! As I would read, then re-read over and over again the stories of those survivors on this forum who had graciously shared their journeys of survival they gave me some fragile hope that my Stage 3 diagnosis might not be a death sentence. Early on I was still terrified, but many times I hung onto those stories to make it through the day. Thank you, Stage 3 Sisters, for giving me the gift of hope!

Yes, as you know all too well, my cancer could still return. But today I feel eternally grateful for the 10+ years I have been given as a Stage 3 survivor!

Keep Hoping,

❤️ CharlotteMe

• fightingmama
    fightingmama Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2020
    Options

Congratulations CharlotteMe! Thank you for taking your time to post here on your 10th year of kicking cancer and giving us all hope :)

• francesca30
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thank you @CharlotteMe ❤️ Inspired by you and praying I get to make the same announcement in 9 years ☺️

• lexica
    edited September 2020
    Options

Awesome, CharlotteMe - thanks for coming back to share!

• kathleen1966
    kathleen1966 Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2020
    Options

I was ten years out in July. I had a 4 year old and an 8 year old at diagnosis. Now I have a freshman in college and a 15 year old!

• lexica
    edited October 2020
    Options

Amazing Kathleen!

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited October 2020
    Options

Congratulations, Kathleen!

• inthelight
    inthelight Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi all! I just passed 10 years. Dx at age 29, stage IIIa, grade 2, ER+/PR+, 4/5 sentinel nodes. I had a reexcision and mastectomy post chemo, and there was still a ton of cancer in the breast. But here I am, feeling lucky and grateful to all the women who paved the way before me. My goal was to make it to age 40. Now, I think I just might.

So much love to you all.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited October 2020
    Options

Congratulations Inthelight! You’re a strong woman. Here’s hoping to decades more

• francesca30
    edited October 2020
    Options

congratulations @inthelight 🎉🎉🎉 thanks for coming back to give us hope

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited October 2020
    Options

That is AWESOME inthelight!!! Here’s to many, many more!

• maxineo
    maxineo Member Posts: 199
    edited December 2020
    Options

I am officially 10 years out from my diagnosis on 12/1/2010!!! Stage 3, 4/13 nodes, mastectomy, chemo, radiation...I don't know if I will ever forget those stats :)

It is amazing how far away it all seems; my kids were in 1st and 2nd grade, and now my oldest is getting ready to graduate from high school! I am grateful for surviving the treatment and for having the years I have been granted; I am also grateful for the relief from the incessant anxiety that comes with diagnosis and treatment.

To all of you ladies in the war-zone now, keep fighting. I think so often of my sisters facing diagnosis and treatment and anxiety. Know that you are among thousands who are pulling for you. You are stronger than you ever thought possible!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    edited December 2020
    Options

Congrats MaxineO!!!!!! So very happy that you are at peace from all the worries that our diagnosis comes with. May God bless you with the gift of health.

Thanks for posting, gives me hope:)

• nancyd
    edited December 2020
    Options

Congrats, MaxineO. I'm a few years ahead of you. Our stats are very similar, so just know that it doesn't end at 10!.

• nancyd
    edited December 2020
    Options

Congrats MaxineO. Ten is a nice round number. Now let's go for 20!

• francesca30
    edited December 2020
    Options

congratulations MaxineO! Here’s to another 10 and more!!

• amanda6
    amanda6 Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2020
    Options

will be 11 years out from stage 3a in Feb. I do have radiation induced heart disease from treatment, (diagnosed 4 years ago), & have had open heart surgery to repair a damaged heart valve. My tumor was on the left breast, at the 3:00 position. All is good now though...wondering if anyone else has had any long term side effects?

• chrishat
    chrishat Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2020
    Options

hi everyone! I wanted to post here today, my 11 year cancer survival anniversary. I was diagnosed with stage 3a 11 years ago and today am well and thriving with no evidence of disease. I was 44,I had 5 positive nodes and I went through the full deal, lots of surgeries and reconstructions, chemo, radiation. it was the center of my universe for several years, as I am sure those of you in the thick of it understand. just wanted to say there is hope, life can be normal again, the terror subsides and today I even find myself forgetting details of my cancer story. hang in there sisters!!