Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• oaktownmom
    oaktownmom Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2021
    Options

So grateful to be able to post that yesterday I hit ten years from my stage 3 diagnosis! I had three children under age 5 at the time, and now I’ve got three teenagers. Lots to be hopeful about and lots of life yet to live!

• jmouse
    jmouse Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2021
    Options

Congratulations, oaktownmom!!

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2021
    Options

Congratulations oaktownmom. Thanks for coming back to these boards to give everyone hope. I can so relate to you as my kids were ten and five when I was diagnosed and now I have a fifteen and ten year old. I'm looking forward posting on the ten year board one day. xx

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited June 2021
    Options

I'll be 7 years this year, I didn't realize how close I am to be able to post here! Winking

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2021
    Options

Just had my 10-year check up The actual date is in 3 months. All clear and I had a really rough diagnosis her2pos and was only able to take Herceptin 3 mos as I have severe heart damage from it.

But the good news is I am going strong and truly truly truly cannot believe it's 10 years.

Sending lots of hope to all!!

Denise

• erento
    erento Member Posts: 187
    edited July 2021
    Options

Congrats, Denise! That is an incredible milestone!

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2021
    Options

Congratulations to y'al!

• kathleen1966
    kathleen1966 Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello. I have now reached 11 years and have started my 12th year cancer free.

• homemom
    edited August 2021
    Options

Kathleen196 - Congrats! That's fantastic Heart

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2021
    Options

I can't even believe how fast 10 years came and went! Coming back to give hope to all the newly diagnosed! This site carried me in the beginning and gave me hope during my toughest days...reading the survivor stories and hoping one day I'd get to write mine! Well 9/22/21 I’ll be 10 year cancer free. Gosh so much has happened in that 10 years! Let's just say it was the good, the bad and the really bad mixed with some pretty wonderful ( 4 grand babies in 4 years ❤️❤️).....thankful for this site and wishing you all well on your journey. Kat

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2021
    Options

Congrats!

• awhbabies
    awhbabies Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2021
    Options

My 10 year week didn’t go as expected. I met with the genetic counselor on August 30 (10 years from my fine needle aspiration) to discuss my PALB2 mutation. The counselor had told me my results via phone the week before, but it was not great hearing that my 2nd breast needs to go. However, between thinking about all the new “cancer stuff” and other chaos in my life, I didn’t have time to bemoan or feel sorry for myself on my 10 year cancerversary September 2. I took that as a win because for many years I felt like cancer was always on my mind.

So, despite the fact I meet with a surgical oncologist tomorrow to discuss my prophylactic options, I am thrilled that I made it to 10 years cancer free. My 1st grader is now a high school junior. He is a grown man, and I was present for all of it! I am celebrating my 50th birthday in the spring grandly. For someone who once feared she wouldn’t see 41 or 42 and much less 50, I can truly say I live beyond cancer.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited October 2021
    Options

I was so excited to post this morning I woke up at o'dark-thirty and couldn't get back to sleep! Ten years today!

My boys were young adults when I was diagnosed and I was afraid I'd never see their children. Today I have five loud, healthy grandkids.

For all of us, whether we're in treatment, finished with treatment, learning to live with the simmering fear of recurrence or figuring out life as a metster, there's hope.

• m_and_g
    m_and_g Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2021
    Options

Congratulations and thank you for posting!

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited October 2021
    Options

SBE--Hooray!! I'm celebrating for you!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi Everyone ,

It is that time of year. Wanted to say how great it is to see more and more stage 3 folks beyond ten years ! So happy for all of you Really understand how you feel and so many of you mention your children , how young they were “ back then “. For those of you starting out at stage three hope all of this good news continues to carry you through. This year marks 11 years for me. The stories here gave me hope and to be truthful I thought my chances of being here now were nearly 0. Was not a brave soul. I was scared out of my mind. My son was in 6th grade , I was 42. But , here I am !! Truly believe more and more of us stage 3 folks do so much better these days. It was our group on BCO that carried me through. Made me laugh so often. I almost forgot to post but you all hang in there. You’ll be 10 year folks before you know it !!

Take care

Kim

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thank you so much for posting. It gives me hope

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited November 2021
    Options

Awesome Sbelizabeth!! Thank you so much for sharing

• homemom
    edited December 2021
    Options

kmur that's fantastic! Your diagnosis was pretty close to mine and I'm 7 years this month. My MO wants me to stay on the AI for another 3 so I'm doing that for insurance. All the best going forward!

• outfield
    outfield Member Posts: 235
    edited December 2021
    Options

I missed my 11 year back in June this year. Don't come on the site that often anymore. Kids who were 2 and 3 are 13 and 14 now. Was so scared I'd die before they were old enough to remember me.

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2022
    Options

Apologize if I’m not posting in correct forum....wondering for all those peeps 10 years out...did your oncologist tell you you’d be all done taking meds? My last appt she mentioned she’d been done seeing me as I reached the 10 year mark and that I’d stop taking tamoxifen? Appreciate any feedback you might all have.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited January 2022
    Options

I'm 10 yrs out from original and 6 from recurrence. My onc mentioned going to yearly and I said no way. I'll hold at 6 months. I did 3 1/2 on Tamoxifen and will be on Arimidex 10 at least he said.

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thanks for posting 7of9. Looking forward to seeing your post on the 15 year board

• homemom
    edited January 2022
    Options

I'm 7 years out and will be on Arimidex for another 3 because of node involvement. I'm beginning to think I should just stay on this stuff for the rest of my life after seeing some new research. Looking forward to posting here in 2024!

• kiascia
    kiascia Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi HomeMom! Can you explain what research you read? My oncologist wants me to stop at 7 years, I'm at 5 now, but I was hoping to stay at least for 10. Thanks!!

• kiascia
    kiascia Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi HomeMom! Can you explain what research you read? My oncologist wants me to stop at 7 years, I'm at 5 now, but I was hoping to stay at least for 10. Thanks!!

• homemom
    edited January 2022
    Options

Kiascia There is a board that discusses breaking research : https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics...

A study someone posted in the last week or two talks about how MBC can happen up to 30 years from diagnosis. It depends though of course on several factors.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2022
    Options

Checking in to say it's been 14 years, and still NED. Two grandsons now. Life is good.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited February 2022
    Options

10 years this month. Life has been a rollercoaster but not breast cancer.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2022
    Options

wintersocks - Just wanted to quickly say how much I like your screen name. It makes me feel all cozy and warm when I see it!

And a very hearty congratulations on your 10 years! (If I can only be that lucky too!)