Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    edited October 2022

exbrnxgrl: How wonderful that you are doing something you enjoy that is also an amazing contribution to those children and their community. Students have had a difficult time during the pandemic and this particular group is very lucky to benefit from your knowledge and experience. I believe I read in another post that you are being paid a greater than average salary for your time. While that speaks well of that school district, I'm sure it isn't commensurate with the value of the service provided.

I understand your frustration (and others') with the dx line after needing multiple private messages with the mods just to fix one small thing. Kudos to them for their help. I persisted, because in the 5 months that I have been reading this forum (4.5 as a lurker before the mods helped me to register) I was very confused by the dx lines of many posters, and wanted to clarify mine while it was still relatively simple to help others who may read it.

I am particularly interested in the lines of endocrine treatment available for ER+/HER2- and the order in which an individual experienced them. I was thinking of starting a new topic asking people to list that information, but don't know if it has already been created and uncertain how to search. I know that you have toggled back and forth with various AIs, but I have had anastrazole and now am on faslodex/kisqali, so believe that my future treatments will be more complicated. Just want to know all of my potential choices, are I am beginning to suspect that my MO only offers her preferences in treatment.

It's almost the weekend - hope you plan to indulge yourself.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,605
    edited October 2022

eleanora, please consider starting a new topic asking about the endocrine lines of treatment. Even if there was a previous thread on the subject, and not sure there was, it is always nice to provide a space to get current, updated information from members.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    edited October 2022

Divinemrsm:

Thanks for the encouragement. I am very interested in the details of endocrine treatment experienced by other members with an ER+/HER2- diagnosis like mine but have been frustrated by trying to make sense of the info that appears beneath an individual's post. I hesitated, because I'm a newbie and didn't know if I had done an adequate search to find an already existing thread on the topic.

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 241
    edited October 2022

eleanora, creating a new topic for er+/pr-/her2- in forum Stage 4/ metastatic is a great idea, please do so. There was a topic about this but not in forum Stage 4/metastatic. I am newly diagnosed with met to bone I would lov to hear from members about their treatment.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022

Eleanora did post a new topic asking about lines of endocrine treatment. I’m heading there now to add my response. Here is the link to her thread for those who wish to add their treatment.

Lines of Endocrine Therapy

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/883368?page=1#idx_1

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2022

exbrnx and parakeet both , yay!

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2022

I find having projects a great distraction. At the moment I am home brewing it's fun even though I don't drink a lot, we went and picked wild blackberries and I'm making blackberry balsamic vinigar, I would love to make cheese but that's a bit more complicated. Hope everyone is doing well.

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited October 2022

sunnidays - OMG I am a home brewer as well! I am a FT staff accountant but worked at a home brew store in town for 5+ yrs (recently quit due to DX). I loved it and the chill people I met and am friends with are so much fun. My SO and I like to brew all beer types and made wine an cider as well. We planned to brew last Sunday but just didn't get our butts in gear. We brewed a batch almost every weekend during the first fall of the pandemic (3 gallon, 5 gallon & cold days 1 gallon inside on the stove). Great activity to distract. Of course like you my SO gets to reap the benefits more than I these days.

For cheese you can always start with mozzarella, I have heard the soft cheese are the best to start with.

tigre

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022

I was in Pittsburgh (an hour away) on two separate days recently. Last Saturday dh, ds and I took a sightseeing tour on the Gateway Clipper riverboat, along the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers. The weather was perfect. They served a buffet lunch and then we went up to the open air top deck for sightseeing. On another day, I went with the garden club to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden. It was autumn splendor among the flowers! More good weather and so many flowers and displays to see, which is right up my alley.

This is a shot of downtown Pittsburgh at the confluence of the three rivers, “The Point”.

A few photos from Phipps

imageimage

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2022

divine, what a gorgeous day!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2022

Devine, I’ve been there many years ago, DH was a streetcar fan. Do they still have them?And remember when 3Rivers stadium was there.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022

Spookie, Pittsburgh no longer has streetcars; they've gone to a light rail system. Fred Rogers famously made the trolley a part of “Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood".

I remember going to a huge concert at Three Rivers Stadium when I was younger. In the early 2000, it was imploded and they built the baseball stadium, PNC Park, and the football stadium, Heinz Field which this year, due to expired license naming, became “Acrisure Stadium" much to the dismay of Steelers fans. I got a great shot of it from the Gateway Clipper. [There's a well-done memorial to Fred Rogers complete with a statue (not shown) to the right of the stadium.]

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2022

Thanks Devine! Great shot! Did something similar in Cincinnati. Imploded Riverfront stadium and built 2!! stadiums because the Bengals and Reds couldn’t share the same place anymore.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250
    edited October 2022

Divine,

I love that photo! I remember when Candlestick Park in San Francisco was imploded. It had been the home to both the 49’ers and the Giants. Always cold and windy and people really did get whitecaps on their beer 😂.

I start my last full week of subbing in 5th grade tomorrow. I am very tired at the end of each day but it’s the good kind of tired, satisfying but exhausting. I really like 5th grade. It’s great to discuss things at a more sophisticated level than I did all of this years in 1st grade or kindergarten. All fifth grade classes in my school did a deep dive into a book titled Wonder. We finished last week and the entire grade watched the movie version as a wrap up activity. If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth the watch. It stars Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson. I think it’s on Amazon prime or Netflix.

I love reading about everyone’s adventures. It’s a great respite from the realities of stage IV. 💗💗💗

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022

Caryn, I will check out the movie. Glad you are liking 5th grade. It's a very impressionable age.

When I was growing up and as a young adult, I didn't get to Pittsburgh much at all and it was always a big deal when I did. Bought my prom gown there. The Mexican restaurant Chi Chi's was there and Red Lobster. To go once a year to either one was a big treat. Saw some concerts at a few different venues. My family never went to a ball game there but my Dad loved the Pirates.

In the 1990s, a big four lane bypass went through our area all the way to Pittsburgh. Travel to the city became much quicker and more common. Ds went to college there, lives there now, my oncologist is there, we shop and go to restaurants, concerts and attractions there.

Yesterday dh and I went in the opposite direction, out through Ohio country to a fruit farm having a fall festival. It's a popular place this time of year and the weather was ideal.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2022

Chi chi is slang for breast in Mexico 😂

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043
    edited October 2022

xbrnxgrl-Loved the book Wonder. How great for you to be able to read it with fifth graders.

Had a busy day-preached and then led a 2 hour meeting. It was tiring but went well. Then I had to paint my front porch since this might be one of our last warm, dry days. Now I am going to treat myself to Dairy Queen!

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022

chicagoan, I bet your porch looks great and I hope you enjoyed your treat from DQ! Perfect way to cap off the day!

Caryn, Chi Chi was the nickname of the founder’s wife. I remember jokes about it being slang for breasts. (Keep in mind there are countless men with the name Peter and Dick, so there’s that, lol!) They served a shrimp or seafood enchilada that was always my go-to,

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2022

We hosted a party tonight for about 15, lots of fun. I dressed in an old scuba suit with mask and snorkel. DH was a shark. Plastic cockroaches and ants on the food platters. My favorite was the Jack O'Lantern barfing guacamole.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022

nopink, sounds like lots of fun and very creative!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited November 2022

Nopink, that sounds hilarious! Weren't you roasting in a scuba suit?

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2022

Pretty much. It was a farmer john (sleeveless) so I wore a tshirt under it and after a while, unzipped it a way.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited November 2022
    After several delays, I finally closed on my house last week! And this week.... painting!! I think I may have gone a little overboard on the purple in my bedroom though, because it looks a lot brighter on the wall than it did on the sample. Maybe it will look better when it's dry? Haha. Oh well. It's my house so nobody else can complain!
  • exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2022

Congrats! Yes, do what YOU want. I owned several homes when I was married and bought my own home when I divorced 16 years ago. It’s looking a bit tired so I am planning a major refresh after the first of the year. Have fun with it!

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited November 2022

Congrats ParakeetsRule

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited November 2022

For the first time in months, I sat down to work on a piece of fiction. I used NANOWRIMO as inspiration. Though I don't plan on finishing my novel this month, it feels good to exercise that stuff muscle. Will make a point to write something each evening.

• positive2strong
    positive2strong Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2022

Alrilgirl, Thank you for keeping track of me. My onc can be frustrating at times. She gives me very little detail. I know I should join online to open my portal or get a copy of my scan report. This past Wednesday I had my injections and learned that day I wasn’t seeing the onc so I am feeling a little out of sorts as I don’t know my tumor markers etc.

I don’t have much pain …I never did take Narco and I occasionally take an Alieve if I am going out and know I am walking more than usual. I still walk with a limp…sometimes better, sometimes worse. It is weird walking up a hill, I don’t limp. I really haven’t put all my things in order. Somewhat avoiding it. This site seems hard for me to use but I need to hear from all of you as I just don’t want to worry.

• positive2strong
    edited November 2022

parakeet, Congrats, on your new house so happy for you

• positive2strong
    edited November 2022

Aprilgirl. I am so bad I retyping peoples names

• positive2strong
    edited November 2022

Olma