Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited June 2016

Awwww, Road trips. Loved them. Gatorgal, I bet your kids do have some awesome memories.

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited June 2016

Thanks everyone! I am really enjoying it.

I too love road trips!! We have taken several over the years across the United States, yes....some very awesome memories.

I can remember when the kids were young we would make a trip from Texas to North Carolina (where my husband is from) to see the grandparents. We would do it without stopping (so around 24 hour trip). Back then...the kids did not have to be seat belted. So we would take the third seat out of the mini-van and make a pallet for the girls to play games and sleep, stock an ice chest with soft drinks and snacks, put my son in his car seat and off we would go. We put all the luggage on top in a luggage carrier. Wow! How times have changed now....would never travel today that way. I know my grandkids feel they have to have a DVD player or some type of satellite in the car for their IPADS to function. What happened to License Plate Bingo??

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2016
    Sigh. Wouldn't it be fun if we could tell cancer to "suck it" and all go on a road trip together?
  • GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited June 2016

what a great time we would have! Chemo gets in the way of s lot of good times! I was planning to go to Montana with my dh on a business trip. One of the two states I have not visited. Unfortunately, starting Ixempra on June 15 and the trip is June 18. Not knowing how I will do on Ixempra, i'm a little too nervous to make the trip. First time I've let cancer get in my way! I told dh I will go to Montana when I am NED

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited June 2016

GatorGal, I am sorry you have to miss out on the trip to Montana. I hope you will get there soon. I hope Ixempra treats you kindly and gently but zaps those cancers cells into NEDville. As far as traveling is concerned, I have a long way to catch up to you., just two state you haven't visited? I am impressed. What is the other one?

I feel like a little left out here. I don't need a new car, but now I WANT one anyway. Haha. I will follow your posts and enjoy your new cars instead. They all look wonderful.

I want you all to post pictures of your adventures in your new cars, whether those adventures be near or far. Even a trip to the grocery store can be fun in the right vehicle.

Have a great weekend.

Lynne

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2016

Loving the pics of the new cars!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited June 2016

Well, we did buy a new to us car after finding out I had MBC. DH always wanted one, so we figured "why not" life is short. It's been so much fun, we love it!

This fall we are driving it across Canada, meeting up with several ladies from BCO, so it is a breast cancer tour. Poor DH, but he's ok with it. The plan so far is meeting up with Lindalou, LindaE & annieoakley and anyone else who would like to join in. cheers, dee

• GatorGal
    edited June 2016

Dee, love your car and your summer plans! Fun times ahead. Your dh is a great sport (and support).

Lynne, the other state I have missed out is North Dakota .... So close to Montana. Right after college I went on a road trip with a very good friend and we hit 37 states, including Hawaii. Then i've been whittling away at the others over the last 40'years or so!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2016

Lynne, I have only been to Oregon and Colorado and out of the US to Mexico....I have a LOT of catching up to do. Dee, that picture is stunning! What a beautiful place! Sorry you have to miss your trip Gatorgal, disappointing......Texas I agree, sort of sad that our kids are so reliant on screen time on those long trips. One of my favorite things is just gazing out at the scenery while my husband drives.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited June 2016

GG, breathtaking photo of you, the car and those mountains. My my.

I do love all the cars and pictures. I am hopeful to be around for some years to come, and look forward to buying a new car, but not for awhile because I'm so happy not to have a car payment!

• Andi67
    Andi67 Member Posts: 314
    edited June 2016

Dee - that picture is AMAZING!!!!!! Is that close to your house? If so, I am coming for a visit. Your road trip sounds great!

XO

Andrea

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited June 2016

No that's not near us, it's Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper Nat'l park in Alberta. It was our last years big trip. That was on my birthday, they give you a discount for your age. But I'm not telling what % I got off the rate, but it was a pretty good rate! :) We love Clyde (the car) Come for a visit anyway Andrea, it's very pretty here, just not Rockies pretty!

• artistatheart
    edited June 2016

Divine, that is a VERY good point. We currently do not have a car payment and I do love the comfort of my car. Just starting to worry about the age and reliability. But I keep dragging my feet because of the new payment!

• shutterbug73
    edited June 2016

CG - Gorgeous car and scenery! I love the idea of a breast cancer tour. I've met so many lovely people online and I love when we get pictures of BCO members meeting each other.

I hear you ladies on the car payment. I didn't have one for 7 years and it was awesome!

• shutterbug73
    edited June 2016

CG - Gorgeous car and scenery! I love the idea of a breast cancer tour. I've met so many lovely people online and I love when we get pictures of BCO members meeting each other.

I hear you ladies on the car payment. I didn't have one for 7 years and it was awesome!

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited June 2016

I think a BC tour would be awesome!!! If any of you ladies get to Central Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area)....let me know. We can meet for lunch or something! Would love to meet each of you in person!Heart

• Bluefrog76
    Bluefrog76 Member Posts: 250
    edited June 2016

In the spirit of "life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis"...I don't post on these boards very often because I'm busy trying to capture every healthy moment I have. I was diagnosed and started chemo just as the school year started. This year hasn't been easy for any of us, but we've come through it. And over the past two week I've been able to go on all of my daughter's end of elementary school trips. Regardless of what happens in the future, I know she will remember that I was there. And that I'm a pretty fun chaperone, even for a post-chemo hair mom who hobbles around like she's 80. :)

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited June 2016

Rachel,

I always love your pictures. The setting of this one is so pretty. Your daughter and you are beautiful. I am sure your daughter loved having you along as a chaperone. She doesn't care what your hair looks like or how easily you move around. What is important and memorable to her is that you were there. I hope you are around to accompany both your children on many more trips. Keep posting those pictures. Your family's smiles light up the page.

Lynne

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2016

Rachel, what a great picture. Your daughter is beautiful. I am glad you are taking advantage of all the school activities. I know kids always love when their parents go on school trips with them.Your girls are at such a wonderful, fun age to do so many things with and go so many places. I am so happy that you feel up for it. Many blessings to all of you.

• Kandy
    edited June 2016

Rachel, thanks for sharing such a pretty picture. I am so glad you are making memories. Wishing you the

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited June 2016

Went to Oregon last weekend to visit my two babies , sadly they have to be sold was heartbreaking. But we have to look to the next thing I guess. Finding them an awesome new home and me rowing on.imageimage

• shutterbug73
    edited June 2016

Great photo Rachel! Glad you have been able to create special memories with your daughter.

Wendy - what beautiful creatures. I'm sad for you that you have to sell them, I can see how much they mean to you. The smile on your face in that second photo says it all. I will hope for a good home for them, maybe one that will let you visit now and then. Hugs!

• artistatheart
    edited June 2016

Beautiful girls you both are Rachel. And you are right, she will cherish the fact that you were there with her, hair, no hair hobbling around, no matter. Wendy, I feel sad for you too! Having to give up your gorgeous "babies". Life is so friggin cruel yet you always sound so upbeat and positive it is contagious.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited June 2016

The last few weeks of school were crazy busy and I am completely out of the bco loop. I have quickly skimmed through the thread and love the pics and updates.

Now that school is out, I can say that I had one of my most challenging classes ever, but we all survived! Also, up until last Monday, I was slated to teach a grade 1/2 combination class next year, but things changed so I'll be teaching a straight grade 1 (but who knows what will change over the summer?). My classroom is being used for a summer camp, so I had to have it completely packed up by the last day of school and won't have access to it until a week before the new school year starts. Like teachers the world over, somehow, I will get it all done.

I am spending the coming week at a curriculum design institute (English language arts and technology) to be held at San Jose's lovely Tech Museum. I love professional development, especially when I'm not actually teaching 😄.

Then it's off to spend time with my dad in NJ. My older dd and granddaughter will be with me part of the time. As always, the summer will fly by. So as not to forget bc, I'm off to get my port flushed ...

Have a good weekend, all.

Caryn

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited June 2016

Wow Caryn! That's full on! Have a great time at the class and wonderful trip back east!

• artistatheart
    edited June 2016

Caryn, I work in a school too, so can attest to how quickly that sweet summer break flies! Plus having to pack up your whole classroom and unpack again. Yikes! I hope the break you do have with your Dad and DD and granddaughter is full of fun and adventure!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited June 2016

Since I always try to find the silver lining, in anticipation of my quick and dirty room packing, I got rid of a ton of things I haven't used in years. Purging is good for the soul!

Since the news of Orlando has been so sad for all of us, I hope this picture of a smiling baby reminds us of the innocence and hope that still exists. Miles, 8 weeks old

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2016

What a beautiful, bright-eyed baby boy! Have a good summer, Caryn, I'm happy you are able to go visit with your dad, always time well spent.

• GatorGal
    edited June 2016

hard to believe miles is already 8 weeks old. What a terrific smile!

• Kandy
    edited June 2016

Caryn, Miles is one handsome young man. That smile made me smile.