Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited July 2016

My stepson, his wife and two children were in for the 4th of July weekend. They live almost a three hour drive from us; we manage to get together every couple of months. No matter how long a time in between seeing them, the grandkids, ages 7 and 5, pick up right where we left off; they are as comfortable with us as tho we see each other every day. We love that. (Little Liam was born the year I was diagnosed with mbc, Josie is my beautiful granddaughter.)They'll come stay with us next month for a few days before school starts.

Here are a few photos from the 4th; we took them to a local splash pad:

imageimage

imageZe

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2016

Great photos Divine! It looks like you all had a wonderful time! I'm sure you are looking forward to spending more time with them this summer. :)

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2016

Mrs Divine, your pics put a smile on my face this morning. Looks like everyone had a great time. It wasn't the best day for weather for us for the 4th. Cooler, cloudy, off and on rain. We still had a good day. The kids still came for the cookout we just couldn't enjoy the pool. Here's a pic of my youngest DD loving on her future nephew.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited July 2016

Kandy,

On vacation right now but just had to comment on your pic. Glad your little man is holding on and your dd will make an awesome aunt

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Thanks Caryn. Please enjoy every minute of your vacation.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited July 2016

MrsM - Wonderful pictures of your family! I'm sure next month will be so much fun when they visit.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2016

Divine. What a cute a picture of the 4 of you! And Kandy I am so glad the little man is hanging in there! Can't wait for pictures of him either! Caryn, I hope you are having a fabulous vacation. We have been spending a week in Santa barbara with my kids. It is so nice to just hang out and not worry about home stuff...

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited July 2016

loved the pictures, Mrs. M. The splash pad looks like a lot of fun and Josie and Liam are definitely enjoying it.

Kandy, precious picture of your youngest daughter loving on the little man!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited July 2016

Beautiful photo, Kandy.

MrsM, I can feel the fun from here.

• Peanut0110
    Peanut0110 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2016

Loved all the pictures. Thanks for sharing

• Andi67
    Andi67 Member Posts: 314
    edited July 2016

I loved the pictures as well! Thanks for sharing! Glad everyone seemed to have a good 4th of July!

XO

Andi

• gramen
    gramen Member Posts: 116
    edited July 2016

This thread has been such an inspiration. I was diagnosed as stage iv in march of this year and we've been paralyzed, finding Dr's, starting treatment, low blood counts, first scan to see if working, etc....

All of you stories remind and motivate me to live and and enjoy the present. It's hard, but you do it. This past weekend, since my counts were pretty decent, we did a last minute trip to visit my family. We had a blast. We flew back on Tuesday just in time for my chemo, and guess what, WBCs at 5.2. Higher than when I was diagnosed :-)

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Welcome to this thread gramen. Life does continue on.

I am so excited today I am about to bust. My DD that is pregnant is looking for a home. So I started asking around my neighborhood to see if anyone was interested in selling. I found a lady down the street that said she was planning on moving in 2 years after she fixed the house up, but if someone wanted to take it as is, she would sell. So first my DH and me went to see it to see what needed to be done. Basically all flooring needed to be replaced and landscaping but that was it. My DD and her husband came to look at it last night and loved it. They are proceeding in hopes to purchase. They thought it was perfect. So hopefully they will be right down the street from me. I could see my little man whenever I wanted. Keep your fingers crossed that it works out. Life is good.

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2016

Whoa! Super cool, Kandy and I hope that all works out for your daughter, her hubby, the lil man and you

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited July 2016

Love the pictures and stories about living life fully! Thanks everyone..you are an inspiration!

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2016

gramen and even iwrite, you are both so new to the diagnosis. I'm glad you find this an inspiring thread (it inspired me, too).I well remember finding this forum after I was diagnosed and how it helped me move forward with the new 'normal', reading real accounts by others in the same shoes as I. Many blessings to you.

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited July 2016

Kandy, how cool to have your little man so close, hope it works out for your daughter and her husband! That's pretty awesome!!

• artistatheart
    edited July 2016

Awww kandy, That just brought tears to my eyes! I hope everything works out perfect for you all! What a lucky little man he will be. My girls are 9 hours away and I miss them so much. Them moving even into a two hour vicinity would be a dream come true...

• Stilts
    Stilts Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2016

Divine...so glad I checked this thread and saw your recent family pictures...so cute!... wanted you to know you are an inspiration to me as I adjust to the new normal...found out my TMs dropped 200 points after one cycle of Xeloda after my ONC told me it could be several cycles to see a good effect. I'm sure the future will be a roller coaster but I'm enjoying my good news as long as I can 😀

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited July 2016

Kandy, that is so awesome if they get to move right down the street, having your grandson so close. I am predicting he is going to be soooo spoiled!

My 2 grandchildren live about 40 minutes away...so not very far! Retiring at the end of the month will allow me to see them more often and surprise them at school with lunch occasionally!

• artistatheart
    edited July 2016

Pretty exciting about that retirement Texas! I can see you hitting the highway already. I work at an elementary school and the kids get over the moon excited when grandparents come to visit!

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Texasrose, so happy that you are retiring. I hope you enjoy each and every day. Your grandchildren will love the extra time. My grandma was the best. I still tell stories of what she did while I was growing up. She is gone now but I still smile at her memories. I always say memories are for a life time.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2016

In another life affirming moment, here's Miles , who turned 3 months old today (pale, hairy legs belong to my dear SIL):

• Peanut0110
    Peanut0110 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2016

So cute. The baby. (Not the legs)😀

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Such a cutie. Can't believe he is already 3 months. Enjoy him.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2016

Of course, I had to tease my dd after she sent me the picture and urge her to shave her legs 😉

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Caryn, I guess that shows how busy life is with a new baby. You don't have time for yourself, lol. Yesterday someone gave my DD a memory book at her shower. On the first page it said, the fun things mom and dad did before you came along. My daughter couldn't quit laughing over that.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2016

Kandy,

Those were not my daughter's legs! They were her husband's. He is almost white blond, even at age 32. But yes, my dd has experienced how very busy and demanding one tiny, little baby can be

• Kandy
    edited July 2016

Lol. Too funny.

• artistatheart
    edited July 2016

Ahhhh that face! Gosh Caryn, he is so handsome already. I love the shape of his eyes! You must be in bliss...